Los Angeles County Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Teaching environment
Public Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 17, 2018
Lots of opportunities for growth and advancements. Teaching facilities are abundant. Diverse cultures are great for learning and patience with others.
Not much room to advance based on classification
Assistant Public Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 10, 2018
It is difficult to advance based on certain classifications. The benefits, however, are excellent with cost of living adjustments and annual salary increases.
Pros
Excellent Health Benefits
Cons
Limited Advancement, poor management, long hours
all about numbers
Inventory Control Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAMay 1, 2018
enjoyed the fast paced environment days were hard and challenging but it was a good place to be with excellent benefits day went by fast each day was.
It's a volunteer position, and So Much Fun
Judge Pro Tem (Current Employee) –  variesApril 27, 2018
For lawyers who have been on the other side of the bench; it is challenging, fun, and consistently interesting to be the one making the decisions. In fact, it is so worthwhile, it is hard to find the opportunities to sit...there are so many people who want each day there is an opening.
Pros
fun, challenging
Cons
Not enough opportunities to do this work
Productive and safe work place
Recreational Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Quartz Hill, CAApril 26, 2018
As a recreational leader a typical day included planning, and organizing, activities in a local park. I lead groups of children and youth in activities such as arts and crafts, sports, performing arts, camping and field trips every summer for the summer day camp that our park has every summer. During school years i would supervise the children who were in the after school program and help them with homework etc. I've learned how to have patiences, and how to actually talk to children. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that i'm able to create a safe environment for the children around me and also knowing that they are having fun and learning all in the same process.
Pros
pay rate, healthcare
Senior Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 24, 2018
I had one manager who was worthless, all the rest were great. He never listened to us and always created problems. The people were great with this one exception and I enjoyed working for them
Productive Place
Electrical Engineer (CONTRACT POSITION) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 24, 2018
They do all their in house enginerring and the engineers are all very helpful in their area of expertise. It is a great place to work, hopefully I will be here for a while.
Greatest job in the world!!
Firefighter/Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, CAApril 16, 2018
Arrive at work around 7am, greet other firefighters and have a changeover. Proceed to check out the piece of equipment I will be on that day, engine or truck. We will have a line up with the crew and review the plan for the day and then workout. Eventually station duties are completed by each rank, along with individual computer training and equipment maintenance. Then food is cooked for lunch or we eat out. Throughout the day, company level to battalion level training may occur, also the running of EMS and fire calls. We finish up the evening with cooking dinner or eating out after a workout, if possible. The evening is comprised of semi-downtime and running calls.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Fun cooking
IHSS Provider (Former Employee) –  Glendale,CAApril 12, 2018
I had fun driving her to the doctor appoinments,also cooking what she liked,fixing things around the house and doing her medicine.
The hours were flexible and she liked me to taker out for lunch sometimes,she loved junkfood,taco bell was her favorite,also panda express.
Pros
Had lunch with her
Cons
She was a little moody sometimes
Active workplace
Recreational Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CA 90606April 12, 2018
It is a very active workplace. Something is always happening wether it’s aports, after school programs, or special events. Staff is always interacting with the community and getting input for future programs.
Pros
Being outdoors
Cons
Short staff occasionally
Upbeat, well attended events - Comic Books & Collectibles
Self-employed (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA. Pasadena, CA, Claremont, CAApril 2, 2018
I manage 1-day events 10 to 12 times a year. It's a busy day on day of show, with an upbeat nature. It's very social, and sometimes requires on-the-spot decision making. The hardest part is corralling the various vendors to show up, set up, and properly participate in the event, based on established guidelines. The best part is spending the day with lots of people who share similar hobbies and interests.
Pros
I'm my own boss. Respect from my collegues and customers
Cons
A long work day
Productive and exciting work for
HR Administration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2018
I was placed in the IA and ER human resources department of LA DPSS branch and I learned a lot from my peers and managers. I loved working there. If I had the opportunity to go back, I most definitely would.
Pros
close from my home, team play environment.
Cons
internship
Lack of opportunities to promote
Welfare Fraud Investigator (Current Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAMarch 14, 2018
Poor management makes work tedious. Department is based on quantity rather than quality. The only positive aspect of this organization is that it offers great health benefits.
Nice people
Traffic & Lighting Division Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 14, 2018
Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendly workers. Positive work environment and good location. Can be a little slow paced, compensation/benefits are low if you're an intern.
Pros
workers
Cons
pay
Offers a Ping Pong table and Pool table for split shift time
Operator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90036March 13, 2018
A typical day starts with coming in to pre trip your bus. Then you deadhead (drive) to your starting point, usually at the end of the line. You go into service and start picking up passengers. Most of the people are fairly nice, they are commuting to, or from work. But a small percentage feel they are entitled or they are disruptive because they are unhappy in life for what ever reason. They create an atmosphere of tension and stress and sometimes danger. You never know who that danger could be directed at.

I have learned how unfair society is to some people. How the classes are completely unbalanced. I have felt heartbreak for many people I have come across.

Management, I feel is somewhat complacent. At one time I thought I wanted to go into management with Metro.

The hardest part is dealing with the traffic on the streets. The next hardest part of the job is dealing with someone who is drunk or high.

The most enjoyable part is meeting the good people. The commuters who like you are trying to get along in life while hoping for a fair size piece of the pie.
Pros
Insurances
Cons
No rest periods at the end of the line most times.
A great way to help the community
Eligibility Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Inglewood, CAMarch 2, 2018
Working for LA County, you always have a chance to make an impact on the community. Whether you are solving problems with someone's Medi-Cal case or establishing benefits for Cal-Fresh. Any way you put it, you are making a positive impact on someone's life that may be more helpful than you know.
Job Security
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 26, 2018
Overall, a secure place to work, where one fires oneself, versus the majority of companies these days looking for every excuse not to pay for the much-needed labor. That said, this company has a ways to go in order to keep up with the cost of living in one of the world's most expensive cities!
Pros
Job security
Cons
Failure to keep up with the cost of living
Welfare Fraud Investigator (Current Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAFebruary 22, 2018
I started at the county over 10 years ago. I only wish I took advantage of everything like retirement benefits that they offered when I first joined them. Work is fast paced but very productive and you get a feeling you made a difference in someone life. Workplace culture is very positive. Hardest part of job is seeing the people in desperate need that needs your help. It is very enjoyable making a difference in people lives.
I like my benefits and job security
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAFebruary 22, 2018
I like my benefits and job security. 11 paid holidays. Job opportunities available. Salary is lower than other companies though. No social security deducted so don't qualify for state disability.
Cons
Salary is lower than other companies
No succession planning
Treasurer and Tax Collector (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 11, 2018
If I want to promote, I'd most likely have to leave my line of work and accept a promotion at an altogether different office and department. The promotion process is very slow with multiple levels of bureaucracy.