Los Angeles LGBT Center Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Amazing, open, flexible
Legal Advocate/Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 7, 2018
Amazing place to work! Felt empowered and motivated to help the community. Learned new things and was encouraged to learn new things and take on a variety of different tasks.
The absolute WORST place I've ever worked
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 19, 2018
My predecessor spoke openly about how awful this place is. And boy was I wrong for doubting! Cut-throat people hungry for power. Everybody racing each other to the middle, People throwing each other under the bus for LITERALLY no reason. Backstabbing and inept people left and right. Not enough diversity at the top. Never trust an organization whose CEO makes half a million a year, while there are girls crying in the break room that they can't afford to buy diapers for their children on their salaries. Shameful! Also, why is the Center's logo currently being used by multiple company's across the world? Either it was ripped off (not likely) or the head of marketing bought it from one of those logo generators. So funny...
Pros
good salary, your work helps LGBTQ community
Cons
shady people, lack of diversity in most roles, power hungry environment
Marketing and Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 22, 2018
The typical day at work consisted of constant communication.I learned how to construct magazine articles.The most enjoyable part about the job was being able to express myself with freedom.
Overall great place
Outreach Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 7, 2018
The LGBT Center does great work for the community and gives those who work there and opportunity to help other and affect lives in a positive way. I am grateful to have a part in that. Helping to end homelessness one youth at a time.
Pros
the youth we work with are amazing
Cons
Not paid very well
Fanastic Experience
Youth Advocate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 23, 2017
Working for the LGBT Center was an informative, creative experience with multiple opportunities to step outside your role and into the community as an educator, learner, or viewer.
poor pay and culture of harassment
Advocate (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAMay 29, 2017
Management was a wreck, our director had been working​ there for about two decades and had no enthusiasm for the work, would disappear half the day on a regular basis. Was indecisive and neurotic, even paranoid at times and prone to outbursts of anger.

Senior Management was not as bad, but paid themselves handsomely while staff was paid horribly and benefits were not that great. Couldn't even afford to live in close proximity to work.

It was a good experience for a short time, but not a place to stay long term. There were a lot of white folks with serious victim mentality​ yet were pretty racist. The hypocrisy gets old. Also issues of inappropriate behavior were common and HR was useless. Retaliation against employees for complaints was not unusual.
Pros
Get to do some good work helping others.
Cons
Some managent and staff had serious psychological problems. Poor pay, no advancement.
Busy
Pharmacy Technician II (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAMarch 9, 2017
The people are great very fast pace. Clients are fun but spoiled. Plenty of opportunities for advancement in the pharmacy or the center itself. Very far commute.
HIV Prevention and Education Specialist
Health Education Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 22, 2017
Facilitator different programs that deal with various topics for health education.
Outreach coordinator for the Positive Image program where we as a company assist the clients with how to prevent HIV from spreading, appropriate usage of medication, and how to cope with having HIV.
Linking clients with ADAPT to assist & Coverage California with getting medical insurance for clients who are need medical coverage.
Community Outreach with assist with planning, preparing and attending outreach events.
Maintained the program website with updates and work with marketing and community outreach
Good place to make a difference in the community
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 12, 2017
Good place to work if you want to be involved in the LGBT community, making a difference in others lives. Compensation could be better since this is the worlds largest LGBT non-profit org.
it was an experience
Parent Partner (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CADecember 3, 2016
It was an experience to work there. The program I was in was a brand new program so there is nothing else to compare this work experience with at this time. .
Pros
there were some
Cons
there were some

Want to know more about Los Angeles LGBT Center?

Ask a question
A great place to experience of a life time...
Desktop Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 24, 2015
Though I was there for a short period of time I work for a great IT team at the LGBT Center in Hollywoood. Are job was very important. Assisting Health care workers with issues pertaining to Allscripts EHR clinical module from freezing or locking them out the system.I learned that it was important to keep this software working correctly for the many patients they had daily in the center. Every day was a new issue and challenge. I enjoyed the experience and working with my IT team.
Pros
Great IT Team and Staff
Cons
Was a very short assignment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles LGBT Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.1

1.7Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Los Angeles LGBT Center Reviews by Location