Los Angeles Police Department Employee Reviews

Good
Training Officer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 14, 2018
Great medical benefits. Decent paid sick time and time off. Commuting to LA is tough, my 10 hour work day is a 12.5 day minimum due to the commute. Vast opportunity for lateral movement.
Not a job not a career - a life choice...and a thrill of all time!
Police Officer II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 18, 2018
An experience I could not sum up in a synopsis short of a novel. From a gun-hot kid, to the slow/steady and controlled senior Officer, each phase is a part of your evolution. I cannot articulate a life that each intakes as their own. What a ride!
Pros
You're a cop
Cons
You're a cop
Great commardarie, team player enviornment
background investigator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 29, 2017
I was given 8 to 10 background cases to complete. They required the part time investigators to complete at lease one case a month. I enjoyed the work and would complete 2 to 3 cases a month. The work was interesting and rewarding and if I was still living in Orange County I would still be working there.
Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 21, 2017
Completed an internship with the Los Angeles Police Department and learned a lot of valuable information. Staff within the department were very friendly.
Great people to work with
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 28, 2017
Great place to get volunteer experience. Very flexible with schedule. People there are great to interact with. A great place to learn a lot. Community involvement was great.
Los Angeles Police Department is number one in the Country
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 22, 2017
If you are interested in Law Enforcement and live in the Los Angeles area this is the Agency to choose. There is always room for advancement, paid training and school reimbursement.
Pros
Protecting and Serving the Public. Always something new daily.
Cons
Stressful, long hours.
Once great Police Department
Commander (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 22, 2017
Although it has changed dramatically in the last 20 years, it is still one of the premier police departments in the country. Promotion opportunities are really good if you are willing to work hard and do the job correctly.
Pros
job security, good salary, organization reputation
I've had a good career
Detective - Mission Detective Division (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 2, 2017
Overall a good place to work as there is room to move up and each day can be different than your normal 9-5 job. After 28-years I will miss the people and those I got to serve from day to day.
Great job
Police Lieutenant - Commanding Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 2, 2017
Outstanding career and rewarding work. Although there is the hazard and danger associated with police work. The stress on a family of not knowing with a police officer will face every day can be overwhelming. Fortunately, there was a great retirement and I elected to do so.
Pros
The joy of helping people
Cons
The possibility of losing your life
A great place to work and learn
Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 24, 2017
Community based policing balanced with a strong work ethic was the key to success. Learning something new each day became the standard. Going home after a shift knowing that you had made a difference was a great feeling. Im sorry I retired.
Good challenging environment
Senior Detention Officer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 12, 2017
Excellent career awesome experience very educational flexible work schedule. Good benefits training n Cpr first aid very militant always a challenge learned excellent communication skills
Pros
good benefits
Cons
shortstaffed
Los Angeles Police Department
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 10, 2017
Enjoyed serving the community. Learned alot about conflict resolution, mental behavior, and all aspets of law enforcement. Many diverse personality's within the department.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Many tragic incidents within the community.
very challenging and rewarding
Senior Police Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 28, 2017
Rewarding, fast paced, with incredable learning opportunities. Great pay and benefits. Great advancement opportunities. But you have to work weekends, holidays and rotating shifts.
Pros
benefits and overtime
Cons
stressful
Very Informative and helpful
Corporal (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 2, 2017
This was the most exciting job/ internship i have ever been apart of. I learned about the different techniques that police officers are trained in. I participate in the Police Academy and graduated. It requires a lot of dedication and focus while being on the job. There is a lot of intense training for both physical and mental stability.
Rewarding
Police Officer/Field Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 30, 2017
Working in Law Enforcement is both rewarding challenging. Protecting the public has tremendous value. Daily risks are challenging and the fear of bodily harm is always there
Pros
Serving the public
Cons
Threats of harm.
Best Police Dept in the country
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  San Fernando Valley, CAMarch 27, 2017
Working for the Los Angeles Police Department was the best job I ever had. As far as police departments go, this is the Best in the country. Best trained, most professional, and by far the most prestigious department out there. However, there is never enough money to be paid to those who put their lives on the line every day.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Underpaid
Hard work but beneficial
Academy Trainee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 15, 2017
Learn a lot about law, academics, tactics, firearms, human relations, and its a good but stressful job. Good benefits. Good pension. Meet diverse people.
Good place to work.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Mission Hills, CAMarch 6, 2017
Working as a police officer is fun but stressful at times. It takes a mature and level headed person who can handle things under extreme pressure. I loved my job, but the department had its flaws especially with its management. The hours can be very long, but the pay is worth it.I would recommend this department to anyone who is looking to get into law enforcement.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Execellent opportunity to be a public servand and to serve the public. Giving back to the community.
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  San Pedro, CAFebruary 5, 2017
This job was the greatest job in my opinion. I was able to meet so many different people from the different walks of life.with their cultures..It was exciting to being able to help people period!
Pros
The most obvious is that it was good benefits and it pays well to support your family.
Cons
The cons is that it's a very dangerous job!
Typical Law Enforcement Agency
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 19, 2017
Flexible hours, advacent oppurtunities, ability to change divisions frequently, good pay, great benefits and an exciting career. The Los Angeles Police Department will test your limits and mold you into a hard working, self sufficent, caring, responsible member of your community.
Pros
Great benefits, flexible shifts and locations
Cons
Some promotions are based on who you know and not what you know.