Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews

Found 1,224 reviews matching the search See all 1,226 reviews
Great environment to see the development of students.
Office Technician (Former Employee) –  Harbor City, CADecember 12, 2018
My experience at LAUSD was great. My daily tasks were of high volume but I like that, as idle time makes me crazy. I learned that I'm good at management if desired and that the culture at LAUSD is teamwork.

The hardest part of the job was leaving. They have an outstanding benefits package. I was sure I was going to retire there! Lastly, the most enjoyable part of the job was always seeing and engaging with the kids/students. They always warmed my heart!
Pros
Pros: Diversity
Cons
Cons: Government budget cuts
good job
Campus Aide (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 12, 2018
A typical day as a campus aide ; you arrive to school early to set up equipment. you line the kids by class and wait form them to be quiet before dismissing them. Keep an eye out to make sure they dont fight or get hurt.
Overview
Substitute Teacher LAUSD (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesDecember 10, 2018
It has really changed over the years, it’s the inmates running the asylum, teachers are underpaid and are blamed for everything that goes wrong in the system
Worked there too long ago
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 10, 2018
The district has changed a dozen times since I worked there. The culture has changed over and over and the curriculum is so different that I really can't speak to it now,
Competitive Work Place
WESM Head Baseball Coach (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 9, 2018
Los Angeles Unified School District baseball programs are full energetic student athletes. Being a head coach within the district is a honor and presents a great opportunity to teach the boys how to compete and play baseball on an elite level.
Pros
competitive
Cons
low salary
Muy buen ambiente de trabajo
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 6, 2018
Excelente empleador de las Escuelas públicas de Los Angeles
Nice to move around from school to school, meeting different people and students.
Office Technician Substitute (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90017December 5, 2018
Working for the School District is interesting because, as I move from school to school working, I meet the best people that an organization can hire.
Great place if you love children
Substitute Aide (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 28, 2018
Class sizes are a bit overwhelming sometimes but great staff through the district's school. Periods of extreme lack of work are frustrating for substitutes but overall, great opportunity
Working with Children
SPECIAL EDUCATION ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Gardena, CANovember 26, 2018
Working with children can be rewarding and challenging. A typical day at work is encouraging children to not give up on their dreams and motivate students to believe in themselves. Teaching children from not only textbooks, but community based instruction also can make an impacts on a childs learning abilities.
Pros
Great vacation days
Cons
6hr workdays
My jobsite was a family like environment. If I didn' t have to relocate, I would've retired from that same jodsite
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 25, 2018
LAUSD is the highest paying school district that I know of. If you are interested in working for them, go for it. They have many oppotunities for you.
Pros
Benefits, Paid Holidays, Sick Hours
Cons
30 minute breaks are not enough when you are a SpEd Paraprofessional
Fun work place. Co-Workers are very helpful
Office Technician/Campus Aide (Current Employee) –  South Gate, CANovember 24, 2018
I’d like if they provided more hours and actually hire people that like what they do. I’ve worked with a few co workers that are very rude and have no patience
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Some workers can be laY
fun and relaxing
Building and Grounds Worker (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CANovember 19, 2018
it was a interesting job lots of tasks to do.
it was at night.
they had me cleaning two school a nite all by myself one person 50 plus classrooms and bathrooms to clean everyday
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
The right School makes all the difference
Library Aide (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 16, 2018
As a whole LAUSD reviews almost entirely depend on whether you are working at a school site or at the district offices downtown. It seems there’s no way to really differentiate this on Indeed. At my school, we have a pretty good principal, but the office manager/school administrative assistant is sorely lacking. On the plus side, the office technician is phenomenal and helps balance out the SAA.

When I was hired as a classified employee, I got very little introduction on what to do and how things worked. I basically stumbled across things. The district office could do better with that, and so could the school site SAA, which is ultimately driven by the principal.

The most enjoyable part of every day is working with the students. From this perspective, in my 20+ years of working, this is absolutely the best.

There have been seriously unpleasant politics around the school PTO/PTA, which doesn’t affect most employees, but if you’re a person who likes to help out, it is worth mentioning.
Pros
interacting with students
Cons
politics
My experience
Teacher's Aide (Current Employee) –  Panorama City, CANovember 15, 2018
I love working for LAUSD. The only downside is that children can be unpredictable and this can stress you out just a bit. Depending on what school you work at the principal is either strict or laid back. Overall if you can get this job you should definitely go for it.
Pros
Pto, Sick pay
Cons
Not a great place for advancement
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 14, 2018
I was hired a few months after graduating high school and was working for an local high school while attending college. I was only allowed to work 3 hours per day, and no advancement in my role as I gained experience and knowledge through school.
Not Enough Hours In The Day
Resource Specialist, Special Education (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 13, 2018
Between instruction, planning, progress monitoring, meeting with parents and students, collaborating with peers in department vs grade level, and actually grading and providing feedback, there just isn't enough time to complete all at a high level. Tips, be intentionally collaborative and work smarter, not harder. Seek solutions instead of waiting. Document everything.
The atmosphere is absolutely exciting to work for
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 12, 2018
I like the atmosphere at LAUSD and the people are great to work for.

The bosses are great to be around.

i love my work schedule in the morning and the time i get off work.
the job is what you make it
Special Ed. Assistant. (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 6, 2018
You get what you put into it . Your attitude will carry you through the day. No matter the position if you are working with adults or children your ability to walk away from situations that will rise to something negative is a plus until you can come back when ready.
Pros
opportunity to move around and go to school
Cons
easy to get settled feel at home.
Difficult with no administrative support
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Fernando Valley, CANovember 1, 2018
Students in some classes are out of control, but you feel like to you are risking your job if you ask the administration for help, creating high stress levels.
Fun workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 31, 2018
You will meet great people passionate about teaching, They are excited to help you learn and grow in the workplace. I would love to continue working here if I hadnt moved

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight