Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,126 reviews matching the search See all 1,128 reviews
I don't know what this is for
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2018
My review of working for L.A. Unified for 20 years? It was a job like any, but having to work with almost 200 students each day takes its toll. It had its ups and downs.
Good place to work at but can be stressful at times
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 19, 2018
Very fulfilling job at the end of the day, but can be stressful at times. Workplace culture can vary depending on school site and management. However, at the end of the day, its all for the kids.
Pros
Great work hours
Cons
Stressful at times
Rewarding experience
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 18, 2018
I worked with teenagers who had trouble in a regular school setting and it was great to be able to help them see how much potential they had. Never was it a stressful moment. The only negative aspect was that we sometimes got paid late, we got paid monthly so that was tough to deal with.
Pros
It's fun to work with diverse staff and students
Cons
Pay was low
Its A job
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 17, 2018
Ok job allowed to pay my bills and live ook in Los Angeles. I wish they would raise the pay for all employees at LAUSD. Every year the cost of living goes up in California.
Good environment for teaching and learning from overall rating perspective.
Special Education teacher, & Department Chairman (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 17, 2018
A day full of interaction with students and staff, I learned that flexibility is the key and that students are individuals who are unique, and management for each one is different, mainly according to their specific Individual Education Plan (IEP). Workplace culture for the most part was positive, until the hostile takeover of Charter Schools, (Green Dot) to be perfectly clear. The enjoyable moments were to realize the accomplishments of the students as well as the culminating events, such as graduation
Pros
Recognition and appreciation from various parents, as well as individuals in the community
Cons
Heavily Gang cultures, which sometimes had a negative influcence on learning and school attendance.
fast paced
Assistant Principal (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 17, 2018
Very high paced trying to meet deadlines and organize multiple schools and personnel. Support for organizing all personnel was solely left on the A.P. Minimal assistance was provided by district personnel. The demands of this job were monumental and if not organized, crucial deadlines were missed.
Pros
vacation time paid
Cons
responsible for multiple school sites.
its very fast-paced work environment
Moore Math/Science/Technology Academy (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 16, 2018
working with the community is awesome! theres a lot of parent support. The students are enthusiastic
However, the district is heavily based on testing
they expect a lot of testing which doesn't leave a lot of room for teaching
Pros
many opportunities to grow
Cons
very large unified school district
In the trenches
Full time High School substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 15, 2018
The conditions of substitute teaching vary for different locations.
If you do your job and get along with administration it is a respectable job. Typical day starts with a morning robo-call and then 60 minutes to arrive at the location. Lesson plans are not always provided and a substitute has to create pertinent work for the students and manage behavior as well.
Hardest part of the job is staying employed. There is no guaranty of being called each day. It is important to have a relationship with staff at schools in your area so that one is requested frequently.
enjoyment
Senior Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 14, 2018
i really enjoy my job, and the way i am able to move up in the company is great. i find working cafe la is very easy. managing my employees is something i like enjoying doing swell
Great opportunity for someone looking to enter the field or balance school
Instructional Aide/ Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Pacoima, CAJuly 13, 2018
Working for LAUSD opens your eyes to a lot of things. For one i learned how to lesson plan which doesn't transfer directly to other jobs but it teaches you how to be organized and efficient.
My day in the classroom
Teacher Assistance (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2018
I have been doing this job for quite some time now so i consider myself to have enough experience to know what I have to do in the classroom. That makes my day go smoothly because I just try to be helpful to the students I am taking care of. I know the routine to follow and the procedures in case of a situation. I follow the rules of the school and the guidelines to follow. If I have a question, I know I have to ask the office in advance or if I have a question.
Pros
i have the chance to meet many teachers, students and workers at every school.
Cons
Sometimes, behavior is an issue for the teachers, despite that, I as a substitute try to do my best. every day.
Opportunity to work with great students and parents
Pupil Services and Attendance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 12, 2018
The students and parents are great to work with. The school sites can be difficult to accept employees who are placed by the district. But once accepted are collaborative co-workers. Working directly for the district is frustrating though because they do not see the day to day work that is done at the school site.
Pros
Students, and parents. Health insurance. Summers off.
Cons
Can only take vacation on holidays.
Fun working place
SPECIAL EDUCATION ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJuly 12, 2018
Thank to this company i was able to learn and grown in many areas. This place was fun and very rewarding i gain a lot of experience working with children that had disabilities
A Day in the Neighborhood
SENIOR OFFICE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, CAJuly 11, 2018
Working in the public school sector at school site delivers instant gratification on a daily basis due to the hands on application of solving immediate problems. As with any work environment, petty behavior, nepotism, and just spending too much time together rears its head on occasion.
Pros
Excellent benefits for families
Cons
Rotating hierarchy
Daily Task
Community Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 10, 2018
Worked with community members in assisting them in Billingual classes, english prep, and other workshops needed. Conducted community outreach to help individuals meet their educational goals.
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Temporary
great program
Playground Worker Part-time (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 10, 2018
the job was ok. The parents and students are hard to work with. Kids do not behave. Great benefits if qualified and pay was good. Kids are hard to control and parents don't provide the team leader with their support.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
in discipline kids
Working for LAUSD
Office Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 9, 2018
at the beginning I did like working for LAUSD but the pay sucks. The work and the pay did not coincide. The structure was okay but very slow at times. To much time in your hands. I hate to say it but they pay people there for free just to sit there and look at computer and surf to do other things. I dont recommend working LAUSD as clerk unless you work at school, then a fast pace and okay but not enough.
Pros
nothing
Cons
boring
Fun place to work if you want to be in the education field
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 5, 2018
You have to love children, at all costs. The hard part here is not the students, but more or less the adults are the hardest part. You're dealing with various attitudes, that at times they want to just press status and power, to make you do things. But as long as you're a positive employee and stick to doing your job everyone leaves you alone.
Pros
Great atmosphere, most people are positive at all times
Cons
Wish there was more work and hours, summers are unpaid at times.
Job security and benefits
Assistant Area Bus Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 4, 2018
Excellent place to make a career of at any position, Excellent benefits as long as you don't have to call benefit section to speak with someone or fax or mail any documents. THEY WILL GET LOST.
Pros
Wonderful place to retire from
Cons
Overworked not enough managerial help
Okay Place
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 1, 2018
Working in the food service division is one of the stressful jobs in LAUSD. The only good thing about this department is that time will pass by quickly, and plus the benefits are pretty good.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Management can be unreasonable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight