Los Angeles Unified School District
74Above average

Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews

United States1,526 reviews
Found 1,526 reviews matching the search
My experience at LAUSD was the highlight of my career , helping others has always been my goal it gives me a sense of accomplishment, teaching a hands on trade is rewarding and the technical information is always been my forte
Pros
A wonder place to work, also the benefits are great if you are a full time employee, The management is great, hours are good for part time workers.
I really enjoy being able to choose the days and times that I work and the health insurance (when I can get it) is first rate. Since I am a substitute, the work situations vary widely depending on neighborhood, school budget and the character of the administrators. I can have a smooth, productive day or a stressful, futile one depending on these factors.
Pros
Salary, benefits, flexibility of schedule, ability to fit other work, working with classes I am familiar with
Cons
Prevalence of germs (even pre Covid!), Difficult classes, Difficult administrators.
Relationship building is key. I have been blessed to develop relationships with staff, parents & families. So, it feels as though we are one big family.
tyoical day at the district is taking good care of the disabled children making sure they get the nurturing and educational training and guidence needed in this world
Pros
Pay is excellent
Cons
The politics
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Some administrators and employees have no sense of cultural differences/equality. No opportunity for minorities unless you become a “yes man” no matter whether policies/procedures were applied/or not applied equally across the board for all students or schools.
A great company to work for, they helped me better my skills to do more for the school district to better my experience with different age groups and life.
Pros
Always for the community
Cons
Pay raises
I was told the literacy coach will assist in planning, but that never happened. They would teach a writing lesson for 2 weeks for one class and I had to repeat the lesson in other classes. No support was available.
Pros
Don’t work for a pilot school
Cons
Pay and Benefits
They hire under the ideal that Duties as assigned can really be anything. Example I was a Office Admin Tech who often had Principal duties, also I may be an 1on1 aid to a student for a day—without having Credentials. On many occasions I was the Nurse to budget cuts in Los Angeles. I was enrollment Special Ed and therapist Coordinator for students sessions all within the pay rage of 15.00 an hour
Pros
I learned a great deal being moved around the District’s many sub divisions
Cons
The lake of Thorough backgrounder checks
The bad about the school I work in is the principal I don't think we should be micromanaged because we work with special needs children at all have different needs so the way we deal with one student is not the same way we deal with another and with somebody all ways looking over your shoulder critiquing everything you do is not fair In our population
Pros
Productive and a fun place to work and really enjoy the kids Are the holidays off
Cons
All the holidays off, not enough money to live in California
I love this job. Great people surround you with positive attitudes all coming together to provide stability and education to those in each community.
You work 9 months a year and have access to a solid benefits package plus help to shape the future of our community. The downsides are many but most of all are the abhorrent mismanagement of the school system which will never allow for a deserved salary as well as the political structures that constantly change school policies every few years. For example, in 25 years of working for LAUSD we have never settled on a Math program at the Elementary school level for more than 5 years. They constantly waste millions doing this.
Pros
The teaching gives amazing self worth.
Cons
Virtually everything else.
I worked at LAUSD for 10 years. For most of the time, leadership was amazing. I met some of the the most passionate, talented, and caring people. I loved the mission of serving the public and making our schools better for students.
Pros
The mission
Cons
Long drive to work.
If you are thinking of becoming a teacher, a paraprofessional/teacher assistant position is great exposure to the field. You get to work with the students directly and supervise them on the yard as well. Your main purpose is to assist the students academically. Most teacher assistants will rotate between at least two teachers within the day. The hours that are offered usually are 3hr, 4hr or 6hr positions. Most schools will not be flexible with schedules since the time frame to work is typically from 8:00am to 2:30pm Monday through Friday. Only take this position if you truly enjoy helping children!
Working in the classroom with little ones is amazing. They make the day go by quick. I can't see myself working anywhere else. Plus, they have great benefits!
When employed by LAUSD my work experience was great. If you have any interest in working here then i would suggest that you do it. there is a family vibe and a strong sense of community.
Teachers are permitted to treat TAs like garbage... with full principal support. School Principals are an absolute disgrace. They have zero respect for TAs . TAs are treated as slaves to teachers. Chinese Principal at calabash elem the WOSRT racist in the world!
Not a lot of room to advance from the Engineering Aide. It is a good position to start at to get a feel for how LAUSD operates which can give you an upper hand in applying for other, higher positions. Staying in this position for too long would not be advisable.
Once you divide your salary into 12 months, you end up making 15 an hour. It's a great opportunity to gain experience with lots of responsibility to care for young children. Provides health benefits, summers off with no pay, vacation time and sick pay.
Great district to work for. The benefits are great, and so many resources for both staff and students. There is also opportunities for trainings within the district.
LAUSD is such a large school district that it is hard to say what it is like as a whole. Each school is different, just like each community is different. Typically as a teacher, you would be at your school site anywhere from an hour to ten minutes before your students arrive in class, depending on your particular needs. You would also stay far later than students in the afternoons. It is not a clock in and clock out kind of job. The hardest part of the job is how much heart, soul, effort, and money you put into it and the fact that it might not give you the results you were looking for. The best part of the job is what keeps you going back and doing the same thing every day, the kids. Their energy and spirit. They are what motivates each and every one of us.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.8
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight