Los Angeles Unified School District logo
Los Angeles Unified School District
Happiness rating is 73 out of 100Above average

Los Angeles Unified School District Employee Reviews

Found 1,568 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,575 reviews

You are providing benefits to children and that is very rewarding.

Good benefits and you are helping kids. Being able to provide food for a district that consist of 80% free or reduced meals is very satisfying. The office staff in the central office are all very friendly and professional.

Benefits

Cons

Stressful

Flexible, understanding, and great benefits and pay

They pay well, they give great benefits, the work isn't too hard in comparison to other jobs. It's one of the best places to work. They understand if you have health concerns and don't good it against you, they are flexible for emergencies, and they pay sick leave.

Pros

Benefits and pay

Cons

Can be a great place for promoting

You will never have a problem using your paid time off and they are always willing to work with you. The Principal really sets the tone of the workplace so when you have a great principal it will go smooth.

Pros

Pto, great for parents

Cons

Mixed signals on many district policies.

Fun part time

Flexible hours! Workable schedule. Paid training. Optional work opportunities. Good option if you Are going to school or if you just want to work certain days I liked the job because you had the option of picking up certain shifts shifts. If they cancel your shift you still get paid 2 hours

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Not enough hours

flexible work hours

They only allowed 3 hours per day for substitutes in food service, only 4 hours for most permanent workers. As a custodian at LAUSD I worked 40+ hours per week.

Pros

free meals

Cons

poor quality food most of the time

Love my job but, if you a Teacher Assistant you work more than what you get pay for..

What I learned from working at LAUSD for the past 9 months is that: If you a Teacher Assistant you will have to cumulate your pay time off by working, you don't have sick days to spare, you don't get pay for any of the holidays or the breaks. That's one of the reasons why I am working elsewhere for the summer.

Pros

Fun with the children

Cons

low pay, long hours, stressful management.

Decent hourly rate with flexible part time schedule (substitute teacher)

(Pre pandemic) Substitute teaching was a decent/flexible part time job. The only con was that it was hard to pick up enough work unless you're an established substitute teacher. (Would perhaps get only a day here and there).

Very little flexibility and rigid administraton

LAUSD offers great time off for social workers. Other than that, it is challenging to thrive as a clinician due to poor management, high productivity standards, and lack of regard for burnout therapists. The summer and winter breaks are great, however, most therapists are burnt out and overworked.

Pros

Time off

Cons

Rigid schedule, focus is billing and productivity, burnt out therapists

Challenging but Rewarding Place to Work

Working in an elementary school office means you will have to constantly multi-task and interact with parents, staff, and students on a constant basis. There is hardly a chance to breathe as you’re constantly on the go. You wear many hats in this role: customer service rep, nurse, counselor, records maintenance, etc. However, the pay rate is fair and you get raises easily the longer you work for LAUSD. The benefits are an amazing plus. If you don’t mind working under pressure and have a nice attitude, working for LAUSD is a pleasure. As with any workplace, you will encounter the few bad apples but with a great team at the school you work at, it is rewarding.

Pros

Pay rate, hours, rules are in order

Cons

Constant stress

Loved working for Lausd

Great benefits and people to work with. Great work environment. Great pay. The job it’s self was pretty easy. Would definitely recommend this job to anyone.

Pros

Full health benefits

Cons

None really

Jobs at Los Angeles Unified School District

See more jobs

Great if you have Patience

Promotion system is antiquated and despite performing and even passing tests for promotions, they can hire whomever they want. Times I had to train new hires who were hired above me and scored lower than me on tests.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Only paid once a month

Outstanding colleagues, students, and administration.

LAUSD has some of the finest teachers in the whole world. It has been my great pleasure to work with them and to do anything with them. They are smart, work so hard, and are committed to their students. I loved working with so many amazing and creative teachers, as well as with my wonderful principal. Don't let the size of the district fool you. The district is large, but each school is unique because of the diverse student populations. I feel lucky to have spent 20 years with this district.

Pros

Ongoing training and excellent support from other teachers and administration.

Cons

Teaching is hard.

They have Excellent after school programs.

Although Lausd have students coming from many cultures but they are giving them high level of education. Most of those who attend Lausd schools, become university graduates, because they have high level of education. The reason for thos is that the Lausd teachers are 100% credentialed teachers, specialized in specific subject.

Pros

High level of education

Cons

Too many students in one classroom.

Fair pay for amount of work, good inclusive culture.

Having gone to lausd schools I am proud to work for the very same district. We are paid fairly for our work and the unions always look out for us. Overall this is a great place to advance and start a career, I currently work as a building and grounds worker but you can move around to do different things.

Pros

Great benefits, fair pay, options to move around job roles

Cons

The issue with LAUSD is that the current openinga are too far and the commute is too long for me (over an hour one way with traffic). I have felt supported by other teachers and administrators.

Pros

Free laptop while employed

Cons

Too far of a comute. About 1 hour one way.

An ever changing but supportive environment

I feel supported as a sub and if I have any questions, I'm easily able to clarify anything with the permanent teacher or office staff of the particular class/school I am subbing for. You need great class management, leadership and time management skills to do a good job as a sub.

Pros

can choose your call area/grade level, flexibility

Cons

not stable

Challenging

As a school nurse you have to adjust your skills between the behavior of students, parents and staff, cultural differrences, and your medical background. Its more on psychological than medical. What i like working in LAUSD, i have so many holidays off, summer vacation, which i can plan ahead of time. No question about benefits - excellent. If you work in acute hospital and you want to join lausd, be prepare for the salary, its for single person only.

Pros

More Holidays break and summer vacation

Cons

Salary

Highly dysfunctional- That's no secret

Very few people teach for the money. What you really want is an administration at the campus level that supports its teachers. Ask around that campus, see what the attrition rate is for teachers. The benefits are good, but there is constant pressure to diminish them. Get your salary points any way you can and as soon as possible to bump up the pay scale. Understand that when push comes to shove, nobody is on your side - the AP, principal, the district - nobody. The union will support you to an extent, but oftentimes their hands are tied. They definitely make a concerted effort.

Pros

You get to do what you want - teach and be a positive force on kids

Cons

All the BS that occurs outside of the classroom. Unavoidable.

Money driven over student well-being.

LAYSD cares very little about the students' well-being, or about its staff. The only people who benefit are upper management, who push their own agendas, political opinions and personal interests ahead of anyone else's.

Pros

Benefits for F/T employees.

Cons

Everything else.

I like almost everyone

Nice place to work. People are fiendly at general counsel office. We deal with many people from other departments. My experiences are almost always great!

Culture needs to be improved

Managment not very supportive. there were a selective few that acted underhandedly to the point of bulliing. Culture of management not supportive to schools.

Pros

paid on a regular bases.

Cons

Culture of non-support.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.7
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight