Louisiana State University Employee Reviews

Provided an excellent education
MBA student/graduate. (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 18, 2018
Excellent institution.

World class educators.

Challenging and rewarding curriculum.

Inexpensive.

Globally recognized.

I attended school here but did not work here.
I love my coworkers and I love my boss
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 17, 2018
Excellent place to work. Not stressful and everyone communicates. There are advancement options and the people actually want you to succeed at the UREC facility. Also a great addition to being in school. Hours are flexible for the students.
Pros
Not stressful
Cons
Customer service representative III (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 17, 2018
Worked at LSU for 8.5 and loved it. Only drawback was the hourly pay. Benefits were great and wish I had stayed for the long term. Could be retired now. Employees were great to work with and was like a big family. I was cross trained in two different offices which were totally different mind set. There was a lot of public contact being a University which made it a fun place to work. Very upbeat. Was proud to say I worked at LSU. Exciting to be in the midst of all the football rallies, baseball games and basketball. Always something interesting at the University. Offered free education classes to employees.
No wonder the state is broke
Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 12, 2018
Literally Hades on earth. Levels of dysfunction beyond imagination. Unless you are one of the many crony or nepotism hires, you will likely be miserable. I had the misfortune of working for a very bitter person who was angry at the world due to their lonely and unhappy personal life. A former fast-food manager, the individual I had the misfortune of reporting to somehow obtained a technical managerial role. I was warned in the first week by 2 upper level managers that my predecessors were chased from the position by this "Manager", and they only found peace and some semblance of normalcy by transferring to other departments. I was often approached by near strangers who offered their condolences for what they knew I was surely going through, and they shared shocking anecdotes of this person's behavior that would boggle the sane mind.
The staggering levels of waste and irresponsible spending should be investigated by legislative auditors. The ratio of management to worker bee was likely 2/3, with many do-nothings with bloated salaries taking 2-4 hour lunches daily. If you are interested in trying out for an episode of Hoarders, they are having casting calls on the 7th and 8th floors of their "Resource Building", the hub of dysfunction and waste. Steer clear at all costs. You have been warned.
Pros
Benefits and PTO
Cons
Too many to list
Account Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJuly 10, 2018
Louisiana State University Medical Center focused on the care of patients. Most patients were indigent. Variety of work area. Fair salary. Good benefits. I enjoyed the opportunity to help people in a time of need.
Lsu
Cement Finisher (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 5, 2018
This was one of the only jobs that I really wanted to stay at but due to the Louisiana State budget, they were unable to keep the new employees that were hired
long days
Psychiatric Aide (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 1, 2018
job fit my lifestyle. worked overnight. It is a real learnig experience and can be rewarding work if you enjoy helping others. teamwork is absolutely necessary and relationships are built that may last a lifetime.
Pros
good psych experience
Minimum supervision
Administrative Associate II (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 29, 2018
A day at work would be answering telephone, scheduling/rescheduling appointments. Interacting with the third-year Medical students which was the part I most enjoyed.
Pros
Job security, high pace job, got along with co-workers, put away for retirement, went over and beyond job.
Cons
I am improving on overthinking complex problems.
Great Place to work
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Eunice, LA 70535June 27, 2018
It was a great place to work. The work environment was great. I would still be there if I could. The job was tutoring and you could only work there if you were a student.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
low pay, no job advancement
Great place to work, get to meet people from all over the world.
Clerk II/Clerk IV/Univ Admin Spec (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 25, 2018
Great place to work. Stayed busy, but not stressed. Management was really nice and worked with you to accomplish the goals of the job. Got to meet people from all parts of the world.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 23, 2018
Being a graduate teaching assistant is about a balance of teaching load and of your own work. Being a student, this helps to put oneself in the shoes of one's own students, but for many this can also be compromised by the stresses of one's own studies.
Student worker
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAJune 21, 2018
It was a perfect job for the time.. I was a student who needed to work some, but not a lot as I was carrying a full load of school work. The staff were incredibly understanding and helpful.
Good
Associate Clinical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 20, 2018
Good
a typical day at work
easy to communicate
great stepping stone to get to other positions
above minimum wage pay
no too much work for the amount of hours
Quite, Productive
IT Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 18, 2018
Spent most of the day answering phones, and helping faculty and staff with classroom issues. There was a lot of downtime around the office. I would recommend working there.
Great learning opportunity
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 15, 2018
Louisiana State University is an institution to be proud of for sure. Unfortunately the department I worked for was underfunded and pay was low for an adjunct professor. I did thoroughly enjoy my fellow professors and my students.
Great staff stressful job
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 14, 2018
Enjoyed working with the people at LSU. Job is very stressful. Very few guidelines about teaching courses and classroom protocol. Graduate student instructors deserve more pay, sick days, leave, and insurance, none of which are provided.
Pros
Community
Cons
Low wages, no benefits
Accounting Specialist
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 13, 2018
The whole time I was employed was a learning experience. They made sure we was current on all the new changes with the billing system. There was alot of online teaching.
Pros
Nothing was routine, always something different.
Cons
The 45 minute drive to and from work.
Okay environment for PhD students
Graduate Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 13, 2018
The productivity of your research work depends on your PI. Unfortunately, because my PI was not too keen on research collaborations, I could not use my full potential as a student/scientist. So make sure to select the PI carefully. The tuition reimbursement is not too bad, but the city is expensive. The health insurance cost is high but buying external health insurance helps to some extent. Otherwise, LSU has a decent environment to learn.
Pros
LSU gym, football culture, flexible hours, friendly and helpful people
Cons
healthcare, cost of living
Productive environment with great mentorship.
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 8, 2018
LSU has a great working environment with a tremendous number of mentors to help guide students and workers to achieve their goals in the lab and academically. Everyone is willing to offer a helping hand.
positive work force
Student worker in lab research (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 4, 2018
I enjoyed working at LSU hospital. Everyone was very friendly and respectful. Would love to go back and work there again. They also offer great benefits to their employees.