Louisiana State University Employee Reviews

Good place to work with great benefits
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 10, 2019
Great place to work with great benefits! One of the best vacation policies I've ever encountered. Lack of advancement opportunities in administrative roles.
Pros
Good environment, Great people and excellent benefits
Cons
Lack of advancement
Customer service representative III (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 17, 2018
Worked at LSU for 8.5 and loved it. Only drawback was the hourly pay. Benefits were great and wish I had stayed for the long term. Could be retired now. Employees were great to work with and was like a big family. I was cross trained in two different offices which were totally different mind set. There was a lot of public contact being a University which made it a fun place to work. Very upbeat. Was proud to say I worked at LSU. Exciting to be in the midst of all the football rallies, baseball games and basketball. Always something interesting at the University. Offered free education classes to employees.
Good benefits
Research faculty (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 8, 2018
this was a research faculty position, non-tenure earning, with good benefits but limited opportunities to advance in your career as an independent scientist if you do not negotiate lab space and some start-up funds.
No wonder the state is broke
Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 12, 2018
Literally Hades on earth. Levels of dysfunction beyond imagination. Unless you are one of the many crony or nepotism hires, you will likely be miserable. I had the misfortune of working for a very bitter person who was angry at the world due to their lonely and unhappy personal life. A former fast-food manager, the individual I had the misfortune of reporting to somehow obtained a technical managerial role. I was warned in the first week by 2 upper level managers that my predecessors were chased from the position by this "Manager", and they only found peace and some semblance of normalcy by transferring to other departments. I was often approached by near strangers who offered their condolences for what they knew I was surely going through, and they shared shocking anecdotes of this person's behavior that would boggle the sane mind.
The staggering levels of waste and irresponsible spending should be investigated by legislative auditors. The ratio of management to worker bee was likely 2/3, with many do-nothings with bloated salaries taking 2-4 hour lunches daily. If you are interested in trying out for an episode of Hoarders, they are having casting calls on the 7th and 8th floors of their "Resource Building", the hub of dysfunction and waste. Steer clear at all costs. You have been warned.
Pros
Benefits and PTO
Cons
Too many to list
Good Job
Administrative Coordinator 2 (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 24, 2018
This job was a great learning experience but I basically just considered it a "pay check". The benefits were great but I was not compensated enough for my required job duties.
Excellent job security and relatively relaxed.
Associate Professor and Weed Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnsboro, LAJune 2, 2018
Louisiana State University is an excellent place to work. Generally, well equipped and staffed. Salaries are low and raises infrequent compared to other Universities. However, support is excellent and a low stress environment.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Low pay compared to peers
Good pay, good benefits, variety of personalities and cultures.
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAApril 22, 2018
A constant stream of phone calls coming in from patients, staff, physicians inside and outside the facility.

The office was very laid back from the casual dress code to the snacking all day long, but when a phone call came in, it was very professional and all business.

The hardest part of the job was the monotony of answering 1000 calls a day on average.
Pros
casual wear, good hours, good pay with benefits
Cons
stressful at times, boring other times.
Account Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJuly 10, 2018
Louisiana State University Medical Center focused on the care of patients. Most patients were indigent. Variety of work area. Fair salary. Good benefits. I enjoyed the opportunity to help people in a time of need.
Great staff stressful job
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 14, 2018
Enjoyed working with the people at LSU. Job is very stressful. Very few guidelines about teaching courses and classroom protocol. Graduate student instructors deserve more pay, sick days, leave, and insurance, none of which are provided.
Pros
Community
Cons
Low wages, no benefits
positive work force
Student worker in lab research (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 4, 2018
I enjoyed working at LSU hospital. Everyone was very friendly and respectful. Would love to go back and work there again. They also offer great benefits to their employees.
Great place to work.
Research Associate III (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 6, 2018
Great place to work. Ability and learn and grow. Ability to work independently. Management is helpful. Benefits are exceptional. Safe environment, respectful colleagues
Bad hours
Call Center Employee (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 21, 2018
First of all it’s a pretty easy job. You call people and conduct surveys. Management is very nice and if you have a computer issue they are quick to fix it. The reason I did not stay with them was the hours they had available to work. They don’t open till 5PM and everyone knows how horrible 5:00 traffic in Baton Rouge is. Management should really consider opening during the day and evening to provide employees better flexible hours. Unless you live close to LSU it’s not worth fighting 5PM traffic for the pay.
Pros
Nice management, easy job
Cons
Only night hours available on weekdays
Tough Environment
Trauma Center-Med Surg, RN I (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMarch 20, 2018
I worked at LSU in 2012. The manager on my unit was terrible. The charge nurse was nonexistent and sleeping with coworkers. The environment was very stressful and fast-paced. However, you do learn a lot.
Pros
state benefits and opportunity to learn
Cons
poor management
Lsu
Person in Charge (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LA 70803March 19, 2018
great benefits , but work culture and advancement & merit increases isn't very conducive to retaining employees. administration is not open to new ideas from labor
benefits
Cons
merit increase
Electrician Master (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 5, 2018
Very laid back and comfortable place to work with benefits and job security. The people are very nice and easy to get along with and food places are available on campus to prevent from leaving campus to get food.
Pros
Health Benefits and job security.
Cons
Low paying salary
Day with Financial Services
Supervisor, Martha Adams (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 29, 2018
My employment with LSUHSC under Martha Adams was a great learning and growing experience. I learned more about financial services, how to interpret tax returns, apply social programs to financially needy, and to empathize with patients and their families. This position enabled me to go to school during day hours and received partial tuition exemption for school. Because of LSUHSC I was able to finish my degree in 4 years. I am thankful for a wonderful group of co-workers that made a stressful job more enjoyable.
Managment
Louisiana (Former Employee) –  LouisianaFebruary 13, 2018
Working at LSU was a great experience and it was my one of the longest jobs I was at ..I had good and bad manager but there benefits and communication skills was enough to stay and I was able to move around to different departments .So some of my experience was great and some was so so .But out of all the I will work there again if I ever decide to move back to Louisiana
Fast fun and friendly customer service
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  3700 St.Charles St.November 13, 2017
A typical day for me would be to walk in work with a pleasant smile on my face ready to work. I enjoy working with mature minded people that can enjoy working hard getting their job done and handle business without being told or asked. I like to laugh and talk but taking care and engaging with patients I would have to say would be the most enjoyable to me. You can learn a lot from patients, from the time they enter and by the time they leave.I like making a difference. the hardest put is when you have to do three other people job because they are immature and never prepared to work.
Pros
hour long lunches
Cons
30 minutes lunch, healthcare benifits
Great company for women with families
Neurology Clinical Research Associate/Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 10, 2018
I worked here for several years and loved every minute. It was flexible, fun and provided training for improvement and advancement on a regular basis.
Pros
felxible hours
Cons
pay was not very good.
Unskilled Management
PMO Business Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 29, 2018
Dysfunction beyond imagination, manager don’t have a clue and/or experience on running the office, but wise enough to continue hiring people that make them look like they know what they are doing. Unless you are one of the many crony or nepotism hires, you will likely be miserable.
Cons
poor management