Lowe's Culture reviews

Daily job expectations
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INJuly 14, 2019
-Fast paced environment
- helping customers
- hardest part of the job is down stocking the department with little time
- best part of the job is helping the customers and being thanked for great customer service
Great place to work and advancement
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJuly 14, 2019
There is no place like Lowe's. Very high pace work. Team work is the best. Lots of departments to learn chance for advancement pay is good high volume of customers. Friendly atmosphere.
Complete
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moultrie, GAJuly 13, 2019
A typical day at work consists of many customers asking for help with loading purchases or information about certain items and their whereabouts. I’ve learned to drive the forklift thanks to my supervisors who have helped me become better at what I do. There’s no difficult part of the job because I enjoy working with customers and learning something new everyday.

involving myself w
Customer Service Rep. Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Clinton, UTJuly 13, 2019
Lowes went above and beyond accommodating my medical needs when they arose. Management was very friendly and fellow coworkers easy to work with. Culture focuses on employees.
Excellent employee care.
outdoor garden seasonal (Current Employee) –  Meridian, IDJuly 13, 2019
As seasonal employee,with a variable shift and scheduled days it was very enjoyable. Management almost always worked with employees and each other on various projects.The store and company culture was one of safety first second and last. one of the nicest things about the company was the rewards for keeping the safe workplace was the barbecues. these barbecues were also held on federal holidays with open invitation to employees who were not scheduled that day. For me the hardest parts of the job were getting in and out of customer pickup trucks when doing larger loads, and lifting the hundred plus pound bags of potting mix.
productive
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 13, 2019
Its usually a long and busy day
I learned about selling merchandise.
I learned how to maintain a team more than 10
its a very active culture
helping customers who dont really know what they want.
the people i work with
After almost 3 years with Lowe's
Human Resources Manager (Department Head) (Former Employee) –  Mankato, MNJuly 13, 2019
Store management is usually pretty good. Corporate is another matter. They're dumping Human Resources in the stores for a "phone or online" system. So, if you need someone quickly, best of luck. The culture up until last summer was putting the customer first. Prices are a little higher than elsewhere, but the customers were treated well. The new CEO changed all that to make it about return for the stockholders. So stores closed and anything "extra" like customer service or new employee training suffered. Pay is acceptable, but don't expect to be given training. You'll be thrown out onto the floor and expected to learn on your own. The corporate teams give lip service to training and creating a good work environment, but that's all it is. Managers are overworked, so a lot of things slip through the cracks, especially since they're now expected to do HR as well. Advancement is possible, if you're willing to move to another store. Lowe's used to offer cook outs and some food freebies, but I think that's gone now too unless that managers want to chip in. In short, this place is becoming just another retailer out to make a buck first instead of caring for customers and employees. If you can work in that kind of job, go for it. Scheduling is a real issue also. You're supposed to know your schedule 3 weeks in advance, but you never will. It can change over night without warning.
Pros
Starting pay is decent. Employee discount.
Cons
Scheduling issues, poor corporate decisions, overworked management.
Ok place to work
Outdoor associate (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJuly 12, 2019
Not the best place to work but it’s a good job for someone In college or someone who is willing to say yes to everything without a complaint, management is alright but safety is at least a priority.
Bad culture and disrespectful management
Appliance Installer / driver (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLJuly 12, 2019
This was not a very good experience and I would advise anyone to think twice about a position at Lowe’s . The culture is terrible, they have no respect for the employees in the workplace. The benefits are decent full time and pay was t too bad but other than that this is not a good company at all to work for!
Not well managed.
Facility Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Lewes, DE 19958July 12, 2019
My Job there was great until they cut it in half. I now spend half days in paint department, mixing paints. When I first started working there it was a decent people oriented place. Over the years they changed managers many times.
Culture was alright until they started phasing my job out. Hardest part fixing destroyed items (by fork lift drivers) enjoyable was keeping the building looking nice.
Pros
Discounts, respect by fellow employees of my work there.
Cons
Manager switching, job elimination, low job security.
porductive
Head Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 11, 2019
management was great, lots of moving up in the company, work culture is great, hours are good for school , coworkers are like family , learn a lot in a day
Understaff in store but driver position not too shabby if you like hours
Appliance Delivery Driver & Installer (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJuly 11, 2019
Needs to work on their work culture environment. Too many negative attitudes in the store. In store is under staffed. If you like hours and freedom then delivery is the way to go (outside the store). Receiving employees (in store) can be negative and ruff people but hard workers. That's because their underpaid and understaffed and over worked.
Productive workplace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJuly 10, 2019
Standard workday.
How to be more professional in work ethic.
Management was average.
Hardest part of the job was to maintain and keep up with business when it picked up.
Being outside.
Understaffed, Underpaid, Unappreciated
CSA - Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHJuly 9, 2019
Easily the job I regret giving my time the most.

I walked into a hiring event and told the HR Manager about my previous job as a production furniture maker, and that I would benefit the company best in either lumber or tools/hardware. Sorry, we are only hiring for Millwork right now. Not a big deal because I can learn. Unfortunately there was no real training. I spent a few hours clicking through a computer simulation where I'm at the desk and customers come up and ask me questions. It wasn't apparent I had been thrown to the wolves until a contractor came up and told me he needed a 3-0 door.

I hadn't been in my role a few months when one of our two sales specialists became ill and took an extended leave. Lowes did not hire anybody to fill his shoes, and expected me to absorb his duties - with no increase in pay. This put me, a newbie to windows and doors, making $12/hour, largely in charge of thousands of dollars of orders and installations. And as if this wasn't enough stress, I was still the only one available to stock all the doors and windows that came in, while still manning the desk, and covering for our lumber department next door when someone was at lunch or called off.

With a grand total of three people employed in the Dublin, Ohio Millwork department, myself included, I expected help from the stores numerous assistant managers but received little. They could sense the stress and avoided Millwork like the plague. And with so little help, my schedule was erratic and offered no work/life balance....1-10, followed by a 7-4, 12-9, 1-10,... Keep in mind I was
  more... part time, only receiving part-time level benefits, but working just under 40 hours a week.

Despite all of this I still excelled in the role, and was named runner-up to employee-of-the-month twice, and made employee-of-the-month once. Just a few months after I was recognized as the best employee, I was let go. The reason? I left our mobile department phone at the desk too often. And I'll be honest, I intentionally left it at the desk sometimes. With so much to juggle, to be expected to answer this phone whenever it goes off - regardless if you are cutting wood, or talking face-to-face with a customer closing on a thousand dollar install - is the final nail in the coffin.

Lowes corporate creates a sad culture of simply not trying to be decent to their store employees - the people who dedicate their lives and their time away from their families to making their stores and shareholders successful. It is not just the Dublin, Ohio Lowes either. If you are reading this before you apply, walk into the store as a customer and look at the employees.

You've probably already noticed that most appear miserable. I was. But the moment I took that vest off and walked out I felt a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders.
Pros
Designing the perfect door for a customer. Many of my co-workers were awesome..
Cons
Pretty much everything else.
I enjoyed my time there.
Load Puller-Part-Time/Lumber Full Time (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 9, 2019
It was a great place to work, everyone was helpful, I learned how things flowed pretty quickly and they didn't have a problem teaching me all I needed to know.I would recommend anyone to work there.
Typical Big Box Retailer
Field Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCJuly 9, 2019
Lowe's operates just like any other major, publicly owned retailer. The stock price is the only metric of success. In order to improve the bottom line they leverage payroll and require stores to operate at anemic levels. The benefits and compensation, for full time employees, are competitive with other retailers however full time position opening opportunities may be limited. Lowe's is a good place to have a job but a hard place to make a career.
Pros
Multiple Benefits
Cons
Poor work life balance
My Lowe’s experience
Project Specialist for Interiors (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GAJuly 9, 2019
Working for Lowe’s as a Project Specialist for Interiors was the most rewarding job I’ve ever had
Unfortunately Lowe’s did away with this position
Management at the Cumming location was always encouraging and very supportive
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Lilburn, GAJuly 8, 2019
During my time at there I was able to meet a number of amazing associates and customers. Had a great experience with a amazing associates but management seems lost and absent.
Productive and Fun
Unload Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Peters, MO 63376July 8, 2019
Productive, fun and good natured people who work very hard to provide a safe, all inclusive environment. They have created a very good team environment.
A typical day at Lowes.
Internet and Credit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 7, 2019
Lowes was very structured. You were required to work your schedule. They had morning meetings every day and you knew what the expectations were every day. There were opportunities for advancement if you were interested. It was a good family environment and modeled it's culture on great customer service. The hardest part of the job was no set schedule and you worked most holidays and weekends, The best part of the job was friendly customers who appreciated your help.
Benefits
Cons
Work most holidays and weekends.

59.5K

Women's ratings

3.2Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

35%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss