Lower Kuskokwim School District

Lower Kuskokwim School District Employee Reviews

United States28 reviews
This job provides an excellent opportunity to teach struggling learners.
Many of the children suffer from trauma, hunger and poor family life.

Most also have moderate to severe learning challenges.

It also offers numerous training workshops, and plenty of guidance.

Many workshops are required, and accommodations and transportation are provided and paid for.
Logistics of living and working in bush AK cannot be overstated! The culture is complex, and resilient, and vitally important, but can be difficult to adapt to.
Pros
The people!
Cons
Logistics of a very remote area
Very badly managed. The administrator hates his/her staff, has no communication skills, and micromanages constantly, but does not do her/his job. Complaints to the district office go unanswered.
It was a fun place to work and I enjoyed the custodial work that I did. The people were very nice and I enjoyed talking and interacting with all of them.
If you want to work for a bunch of Christian zealots who exploit the native population for their own benefits, then go ahead and work for LKSD. But be prepared for incompetent leadership and colleagues. Seriously though, do not work for this corrupt institution.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when we work together and getting the job done! I love working with other coworkers, still experiencing new things.
I do not even have enough room to write how horrible my experience was working for LKSD. From the very beginning, there were issues with everything at the district office. From payroll to the site administration, there were a plethora of incompetent people that had no business in the positions they were in. It's true across the district. The US department of education really should be more involved.
My typical day at work is when I have to be busy and communicate with my coworkers to help each other. What I've learned on that job is when my employer was teaching me some things that I haven't experienced before. For example, plumbing and working on boiler's.
My time management is always busy, taking care of my hours and staying on track. I also like the work culture because younger kids always asks me about how is it like working at the school. It's a good experience to learn new things and teaching other people. The hardest part of that job is when my employer was giving me some tips of what job needs to be done.
Went to couple trainings either once a year. I learned how to cope with students with disabilities. They involve our Yupik culture which is the best. The hardest part of the job is when there is trouble with the students, which we all don't want. The enjoyable part of the job is be with the students and watching them learn new things.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
no breaks
The incompetence at LKSD is astounding. The site admins lack basic communication and leadership skills. Being in such remote areas problems & issues rarely, if ever get resolved. Housing is poor and inadequate to say the very least. The remoteness & incompetence at the DO makes solving housing issues impossible. Emails were rarely responded to promptly if at all. MANY Lksd District Office employees lacked basic communication skills & were unable to answer many basic questions. This opinion of the DO was shared by many of my coworkers. It is no wonder why the turn over is SO tremendous. Working with the Native population & learning about their culture was great, however the constant stress of working for lksd was not worth it.
Pros
Pay, Yupik culture
Cons
Extreme incompetence at all levels, especially Site Admins & District Office workers, extremely poor and inadequate housing, lack of support, etc.
I learned that everyone there help each other out. Everyone is so kind and very welcoming. Especially the Special education team. The fun part of the job is seeing the kids happy as can be. You feel important and included there.
Learned things I've never learned before.
Got help right away when asked for it.

Most enjoyable part of job is that you get to become friends with your co-workers.
When the students I work with get that "ah-ha" moment and understand something, I love knowing that I was a part of teaching them that. Some days are harder than others in the sense that maybe the students aren't feeling well and they act out more than usual. Or maybe we have a staff member out sick and we are short staffed. Whatever the problem is, we can make it work. I love working with a team that I can count on and that I trust. I have learned a lot about many different students. I have built fantastic rapports with some of the students I have worked with and I love that they feel comfortable enough to trust me.
On a typical day, I would have to endure the cold on a daily basis and from this I've learned that if could work here, then I could work almost anywhere in these US.
I worked with a Site Administrator who was easy to get along with who knew the logistics of the job inside and out but she really couldn't be trusted with your personal business.

The hardest part of the job was traveling because if the weather were not permissible, then you wouldn't be going nowhere nor would you be receiving any mail.

Now, the most enjoyable part was my job itself as a teacher. I love seeing students blossom!
Pros
Teachers eat free if they help out during lunch time
Cons
Attendance is very very low.
It is very difficult living out in the bush for an extended period of time. The low rating doesn't have a negative connotation towards the employer, but is just the nature of the area.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
No personal life
I liked working with students and staff. Entering data on the students, filing their reports, making copies, sending out mail, distributing mail, working with Power School
It is a good place to work I was busy most of my time employed. I learned about entering data with Power school. The most enjoyable about working was everyone the students and the staff.
Pros
I get to have lunch at the school during my lunch hour
I definitely would recommend anyone to apply for this company because it is such a fun and friendly work place. If I were to work here again, I honestly would without a doubt.
It takes a special mindset to commit long-term to teaching in remote Alaskan villages. Travel, utilities, communications, and many other things one takes for granted in the "lower 48" may be restricted or limited. I don't regret the experience.
Pros
High pay, relatively low cost of living (varies by individual choices), unique experience
Cons
Extremely remote
Although the work as secretary is basically running the school since we answer questions to when our administrator is gone, we take responsibilities of taking on the role for what happens on daily basis. The most challenging, on my part, is dealing with tempermental student(s) and parent(s) and to find kind words and gesture sometimes are a challenge based on how the individual is. Overcoming challenges are accomplishments each day. The admosphere in our workplace has to be mutual and at times it's hard to find the common grounds, but when addressed gently things are better. We try to be culturally aware by speaking our native tongue and to share others with what we learn.
Pros
Free lunches, showers and laundry usage
Cons
short breaks, no paid hours on non paid days, not enough staff, not enough space
I enjoyed working at my school. I was still a student and the employees there and my supervisor were all constructive and helpful to me. I was welcomed and enjoyed the learning experience there. I would recommend this job to students who are attending the school and have the extra time to help the school, staff and other students during their free time.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Tired after school but worth it
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lower Kuskokwim School District. Our community is ready to answer.
Lower Kuskokwim School District Reviews by Job Title