Lower Kuskokwim School District Employee Reviews

See reviews about
Busy
Secretary I (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKAugust 2, 2018
I liked working with students and staff. Entering data on the students, filing their reports, making copies, sending out mail, distributing mail, working with Power School
Busy
Secretary I (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AlaskaAugust 2, 2018
It is a good place to work I was busy most of my time employed. I learned about entering data with Power school. The most enjoyable about working was everyone the students and the staff.
Pros
I get to have lunch at the school during my lunch hour
Productive and a fun workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tununak, AKMay 16, 2018
I definitely would recommend anyone to apply for this company because it is such a fun and friendly work place. If I were to work here again, I honestly would without a doubt.
Extreme Location, Great Experience
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newtok, AKApril 18, 2018
It takes a special mindset to commit long-term to teaching in remote Alaskan villages. Travel, utilities, communications, and many other things one takes for granted in the "lower 48" may be restricted or limited. I don't regret the experience.
Pros
High pay, relatively low cost of living (varies by individual choices), unique experience
Cons
Extremely remote
Love of interacting with students and family
Site Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Mekoryuk, AKOctober 26, 2017
Although the work as secretary is basically running the school since we answer questions to when our administrator is gone, we take responsibilities of taking on the role for what happens on daily basis. The most challenging, on my part, is dealing with tempermental student(s) and parent(s) and to find kind words and gesture sometimes are a challenge based on how the individual is. Overcoming challenges are accomplishments each day. The admosphere in our workplace has to be mutual and at times it's hard to find the common grounds, but when addressed gently things are better. We try to be culturally aware by speaking our native tongue and to share others with what we learn.
Pros
Free lunches, showers and laundry usage
Cons
short breaks, no paid hours on non paid days, not enough staff, not enough space
Great Start off Experience
Student Helper (Former Employee) –  Mekoryuk, AKOctober 11, 2017
I enjoyed working at my school. I was still a student and the employees there and my supervisor were all constructive and helpful to me. I was welcomed and enjoyed the learning experience there. I would recommend this job to students who are attending the school and have the extra time to help the school, staff and other students during their free time.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Tired after school but worth it
Working with the school district
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKAugust 10, 2017
For the past 22 (3 with school) and 5 years with accounts payable and 14-15 years as staff accountant, it has been a pleasure learning new accounting skills that comes with my job. The easiest part is setting doing the reimbursements for State & Federal, and making adjustments with accounts in the system and how the domino effects become when something doesn't seem right and how to fix it in the system to make it work and align. The stressful part comes at year end of the school, where we prepare our audit books for all funds that are used in our school system, year end closing and at the same time, beginning of a new fiscal year, but when the outcome comes with flying colors, we've made an accomplishment. I'm still learning with this position that I've held for the past 14-15 years and it has taught me of the knowledge I have to date.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
n/a
Enlightening and highly challenging opportunity to work with Alaska native youth.
Reading, Writing, and History Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bethel, AKJune 1, 2017
Beginning in Atmautluak, I enjoyed teaching Eskimo students Language Arts, and social studies. I learned a great deal about their culture and their challenges. My experience in Atmautluak left me with some great friendships and a huge learning opportunity. My teaching experience in Nunapitchuk lasted longer - 10 years. I became even more challenged in trying to help an isolated community learn and understand the value of having an education. Learning many new teaching strategies and skills made me a better teacher and a more compassionate person.
Pros
Learning about a different culture, and improving teaching strategies.
Cons
Teaching to an isolated student base.
With all the jobs I had I think this is the best I've had and still is.
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKJanuary 16, 2017
I have learned a lot from my supervisor/director in Business department. I would not change anything about learning here with the district. The challenging part was learning what the Accountants do when they come once a year. But it gets easier every year. Working with my co-workers, I wouldn't change that either. We become family and with the kids because we do it for the parents and students..
Hardworking, fun
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Tununak, AKDecember 7, 2016
Started work at 8AM to 5PM, Mainly lifting furniture as a laborer position, co-worker was great, hardest part of the job was lifting 100+lbs
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a

Want to know more about Lower Kuskokwim School District?

Ask a question
LKSD is about what is best for the employee.
Personnel Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bethel, AKJanuary 1, 2013
I have worked for LKSD for 18+ years. Excellent benefits, with health insurance included at no cost to the employee. Of course there is a deductible. I have had the privilege of having excellent supervisors who are understanding and supportive in the workplace and balancing that with home life.
Cons
cost of living in rural area is outrageous.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lower Kuskokwim School District. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5