Loyola University Chicago Employee Reviews

rest
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2019
To obtain a position at Apple in which I can utilize my unique skill set, passion for technology, and professionalism gained from years of experience, along with traditional schooling, to solve issues for Apple as a technical specialist.
Working in the Lab
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2019
Working in the green house doing research on nitrogen uptake taught me so much. I prepped experiments, monitored them, and gathered results for analysis.
About what you can get out of any doctoral program
Doctoral Candidate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2019
Loyola offers excellent degree programs and they are (relatively) transparent about the job market. There are many, many worse places to do a graduate degree.
Work Study Position
DESK RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2019
Loyola provides its students job opportunities through the work study position. This is a job with limited amount of earned money possible and shifts can be spread out over time. This job offered a fairly flexible schedule with a very easy means of communication and shift switching capabilities with other employees. It was a relaxed environment where one could get homework done at the same time.
Pros
flexible, relaxed, slow paced
Cons
early shifts and late nights, lack of stimulation
Gained valuable experience on how to navigate a bad work environment
Under Division of Student Life (Former Employee) –  Lakeshore CampusJanuary 10, 2019
Leadership puts on a really good show, but unfortunately, they do not walk the talk. I was surprised that leadership would sometimes create undue tension by taking actions of both supervisees (AND even students) the wrong way, getting offended or upset. There were also a few, but very impactful, incidents in which my director was not supportive and would not take responsibility for actions the department did to its employees. At an institutional level, leadership also plays favorites among employees.

There is consistent talk of being "student-centered," but I found that such a focus was not present in the most important and inclusive ways. Leadership does not always do well to critically consider how identity intersects with their engagement of students. Students who are favored/rewarded are the stereotypical or privileged student, not students with various underrepresented identities.

A silver lining to these critiques is that the valuable lesson of learning how to governance works at a university. The adherence to organizational structures is quite rigid here, which may possibly be the one of the reasons for some of the aforementioned critiques. While some situations were toxic or frustrating, learning how to navigate these waters was invaluable.
Pros
relationships with peers, working with great students, better understanding of organization/governance
Cons
overtime without compensation, too much bureaucracy, poor institutional leadership
N/a
N/A (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2018
The environment is not focused on employee retention. Management is not focused on nurturing employees. The benefits are sub standard and out of pocket cost is at a maximum.
Very relaxed, but not organized or managed well
Loyola Grounds Crew Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 24, 2018
You can generally go at your own pace with daily jobs assigned to you. However, the jobs assigned by the manager are either too easy (in which case work goes by very slow), or they can be difficult and labor-intensive. The manager is forgetful, not telling you about approaching due dates or certain paperwork you need to have completed. Other than the rather occasional labor-intensive days and the frustrating managerial style/decisions, this job is pretty easy and laid back. Loyola has a beautiful campus!
Pros
Easy work days, working at your own pace
Cons
occasional labor-intensive days, poor managing
Wonderful place to work
Pre-Health Advisor, MA in Medical Sciences (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 2, 2018
Employed FT for over 10 years at Loyola University Chicago, I was given the opportunity to work with some of the most outstanding individuals I will ever know. Helping students develop a greater sense of who they are, identify their strengths, and develop self-efficacy while facing a significant academic challenge was a privilege. In the process, I discovered a passion. My day typically began responding to student emails; over the course of the day I supported students in person, over the phone, internet and through email. I also designed and delivered workshops to facilitate their career goals. Jesuit values and ideals allowed me to create a nurturing culture, that was service-oriented and student-centered. I was able to support students at a pivotal time in their lives, seeing them successfully through on a path to achieve their dreams. For me, the position was beyond my dreams and expectations.
Pros
Values, culture, faculty and students
Cons
No ombudsman or staff advocacy organization
Ambiente lavorativo stimolante e collaborativo
Visiting Research Scholar (Former Employee) –  CTRE Maywood, ILAugust 27, 2018
Questa esperienza lavorativa mi ha permesso di imparare nuove tecniche, gestire un progetto e ampliare le mie conoscenze in ambito scientifico e migliorare il mio inglese. Lavorare in un team così collaborativo è stato stimolante e gratificante.
Horrible place to work
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 1, 2018
Loyola should be ashamed that they pay so little. They are one of the richest abd most profitable Universities in the country, but they refuse to pay their employees a living wage. I was a Police Officer there and their pay is the lowest that I have seen for a major university. Their pay is so low and their employee contributions are so high that I couldn't even afford health insurance! They have no union and treat their employees unfairly. Steer clear from this place!
Pros
Cons
No union representation, low pay.
Community Minded University
Learning Assistance Counselor for Student-Athletes (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2018
A school with a reputation for doing well with first and second generation undergraduates; outstanding graduate programs; several locations throughout the city
Producticve and Quit workplace
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2018
The environment here is very energetic, and fast moving. As a worker here you get to learn about all the different school's, and the different types of programs that is offered at Loyola.
Na
Benefits Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2018
A great place to learn and apply real time knowledge

The liberty to work on your own terms and transparency in communication

Ability to feel safe in sharing your real views about anything
Great education palace
New Media Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2018
1. Start with a theme in current trend, further to weave all information to form a tool, which allows students / folks to immerse in a contemporary context by multi media / and / or production.
2. Learned how to identify with environments and surrounding in social context. The relation to public and personal approach are vital for reforming a culture.
3. Freedom to speech, learn and be happy and respectful.
4. Relaxed and simple network.
5. Create, create, and create.
Pros
Freedom
I was a secretary of various levels at Loyola Medical Center
SENIOR SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  2160 South First Avenue, Maywood, Illinois 60153June 21, 2018
I was able to advance to different levels of secretarial positions.
My last secretary position was for the Otolaryngology Department. I worked for two very busy surgeons. I took a lot of dictation and various secretarial duties.
Pros
Excellent managements and free college tuition for my children.
Love the job but..
Instructor of Record (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 20, 2018
Teaching here is a pleasure, and I enjoy working with my students and my colleagues. The administration is another story. They do not pay part-time faculty well nor offer consistent work. The faculty had to strike to get their first raise in over a decade!
Usually taught the class for the professor
Physics Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 17, 2018
A typical day as a TA included me preparing the lecture for the class and then lecturing before the experiments began. Then after the lecture, I would answer any questions that the students may have about the experiment at hand. From this job, I learned a lot about the structure of teaching a class. Preparation is key for teaching and the more prepared I came for a class the better my lectures usually went. The professors that I worked under were very nice and helpful, teaching me the ins and outs of the physics lectures while also giving me a lot of autonomy to figure out a lot of the material myself. The hardest part of the job was getting over my nervousness of teaching my peers in a 1 on 30 setting, but after I got over the difference in settings compared to tutoring it was probably the most fun part about the position.
Fun and great time
Welcome Week Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 13, 2018
Loved working where I went to school. Able to get closer with staff members and get a better understanding of the school and things that go on behind the scenes.
Positive Experience
Study Hall Monitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2018
Would come in at my time and interact with student- athletes who need to be signed into study hall or have a computer and/or printer issue.
What I learned during this job is that you need to be flexible, meaning having a strong sense of computer skills and communication skills will definitely have a strong impact in the workplace.
The management aspect was phenomenal! Our boss has a open door policy that allows us to walk into her office if we have a concern, question, or just want to have a chat.
I never had any difficulties while performing my job. The most enjoyable part was being able to talk and make conversation with other student- athletes while being able to diligently complete my work at hand.
Pros
Weekly Snacks, positive work environment
Cons
N/a
Would love to be back!
Resident Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2018
Excellent place to work! Collaborative across the university and it's many departments. I would work there again in a heart beat! Beautiful campus. Very student centered.