Loyola University Chicago Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
I was a secretary of various levels at Loyola Medical Center
SENIOR SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  2160 South First Avenue, Maywood, Illinois 60153June 21, 2018
I was able to advance to different levels of secretarial positions.
My last secretary position was for the Otolaryngology Department. I worked for two very busy surgeons. I took a lot of dictation and various secretarial duties.
Pros
Excellent managements and free college tuition for my children.
Love the job but..
Instructor of Record (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 20, 2018
Teaching here is a pleasure, and I enjoy working with my students and my colleagues. The administration is another story. They do not pay part-time faculty well nor offer consistent work. The faculty had to strike to get their first raise in over a decade!
Usually taught the class for the professor
Physics Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 17, 2018
A typical day as a TA included me preparing the lecture for the class and then lecturing before the experiments began. Then after the lecture, I would answer any questions that the students may have about the experiment at hand. From this job, I learned a lot about the structure of teaching a class. Preparation is key for teaching and the more prepared I came for a class the better my lectures usually went. The professors that I worked under were very nice and helpful, teaching me the ins and outs of the physics lectures while also giving me a lot of autonomy to figure out a lot of the material myself. The hardest part of the job was getting over my nervousness of teaching my peers in a 1 on 30 setting, but after I got over the difference in settings compared to tutoring it was probably the most fun part about the position.
Fun and great time
Welcome Week Leader (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 13, 2018
Loved working where I went to school. Able to get closer with staff members and get a better understanding of the school and things that go on behind the scenes.
Positive Experience
Study Hall Monitor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2018
Would come in at my time and interact with student- athletes who need to be signed into study hall or have a computer and/or printer issue.
What I learned during this job is that you need to be flexible, meaning having a strong sense of computer skills and communication skills will definitely have a strong impact in the workplace.
The management aspect was phenomenal! Our boss has a open door policy that allows us to walk into her office if we have a concern, question, or just want to have a chat.
I never had any difficulties while performing my job. The most enjoyable part was being able to talk and make conversation with other student- athletes while being able to diligently complete my work at hand.
Pros
Weekly Snacks, positive work environment
Cons
N/a
Would love to be back!
Resident Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2018
Excellent place to work! Collaborative across the university and it's many departments. I would work there again in a heart beat! Beautiful campus. Very student centered.
Good place to work and grow
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2018
Great place to work and grow- great environment, staff and resources. Would recommend to the next- all around a great first experience with no major complaints.
Fun
Loyola Scholar (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 7, 2018
It was extremely fun and I learned many life skills that I don't believe I would have learned anywhere else. I learned what it meant to be a team and work with people i don't know.
Fun People to work with.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2018
A good learning environment. I did not have room to advance. I did learn a lot and work on many good projects. A bit far to travel for the north campus.
For those who like higher education
Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2018
Nice fun people at work. A huge organization with various departments. Projects and jobs could take time to complete due to the setup of the organization.
Overall a nice place to work at.
fun and easy
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2018
easy simple skills needed to work here, show up and do your job and you'll be fine, nice coworkers, always someone willing to cover your shift. unlimited time off and flexible with taking time off
Assistant S&C Coach
Director of Sports Performance (Former Employee) –  Cook County, ILMarch 30, 2018
A typical work day is at least 12 hours and at least 5 or more days per week. I worked for great coaches and next to great coworkers. The job culture and the culture of the university was phenomenal. I loved working with athletes every day to teach them something new and challenge them both physically and mentally. Perhaps the hardest part is finding a work/life balance after working such long hours.
Pros
Great culture/environment, great coworkers, great athletes, great salary/benefits
Cons
Challenging work/life balance
Okay Work Study
FRONT DESK RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Chicago,ILMarch 11, 2018
An okay job for a student on campus. The workout place was quiet and slow paced. I enjoyed the work and the other employees. The management could use improve.
Loyola is a great job to work
Overnight Moniter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2018
Loyola has great benefits, management is great everyone is friendly .. students sometimes will annoy but not so much . Overall Loyola no matter what you do it’s a great place to work .The environment is Swell and the Pay is fanatics. Raises almost all the time
Pros
Always get an raise
Cons
Loyola’s pretty far we’ll for me
Rewards of being a tutor
LUC Writing Center Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2018
As a writing tutor, I meet with clients at the university's writing center. I spend much of my time helping students with revising rough drafts or ESL students who are having trouble with grammar and mechanics.
Pros
connections with peers
Good Environment Comes in waves
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 24, 2018
All parts of the job were enjoyable. People work together to achieve a common goal, not competing with people to get recognition. Jobs ebbs and flows, some days are slow others are very fast paced and can get a little stressful.
Fun and Engaging Place
Mock Trial (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2018
It is awesome to work as a part of the collegiate environment. Things are really nice and the academic environment brings an air of knowledge and liberalism which is refreshing.
Pros
Environment
Solid Organization
Associate Athletics Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2017
Strong organization with a great culture. Treat their employees well and great benefits. It helps to understand the whole "Jesuit things!" Finanacially the university is on solid ground.
IT Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2017
I liked the work culture, people are relaxed but yet active at times when needed. The hardest part was being their on time as I used to work at the downtown and my commute was long.
Weird having summers off
Lead-Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2017
The hardest part of planning weekly menus was to figure out when the students would begin the arduous task of dropping the "freshman 15". Bacon is obviously easy to store due to lack of interest, however, maintaining a ready stock of doughnuts, good luck.
Pros
Planned my own menus
Cons
No breaks in the workday