Lumber Liquidators Employee Reviews

It’s not a place for someone to make living out of
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 14, 2019
Loved it at the beginning but the company hired new ceo and kicked out the founder of the company. Very corporate style. Doesn’t care much about employees.
Horrible management
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVMay 8, 2019
If you don’t plan on going far in life and want something that pays every week. This might be the job for you. The management staff are very unsupportive and one sided. Anyone in upper management aren’t going to support anyone who isn’t a store manger. A very uncomfortable work environment.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Poor management and favoritism
Good benefits is the only pro of this job
N/A (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 2, 2019
Totally mentally unstable manager, would have crazy freak outs for no reason. Always left. Ran store alone with barely any training. 0/0 recommend. I'm sure the larger stores arent as bad to work for, but still have many friends within those stores who also do not reccomend. Way too high of a turnover rate and I didnt understand why until I saw the true colors.
Pros
Healthcare benefits
Cons
My way or the highway attitude towards non management workers
Assistant Manager 1 (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2019
It was a good place to work as far as benefits and pto , but they showed no real interest in promoting from within and or selecting quality associates. No real freedom was allowed for sales associates to develop a sales technique that was good for them and helped them maximize their sales efforts.
Productive, stressful and fun some days
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Toano, VAApril 15, 2019
I started off as a temp with this company. I became permanent within 3 months and remained with this company for a year. I enjoyed working for this company in the beginning but that all changed quickly due to favortism and being overlooked when other job position we're posted. I felt like I should have been making a little more money then I was being paid. I often at times felt like I was being used due to the fact that management knew they could always count on me to get things done when they asked. I was always told that I was a very important part of the team and I was so valuable to them but it didn't seem that way to me. I always gave 100% in everything that was asked of me and would go out of my way to help my fellow workers not because I had too but because I'm a team player and that's how you get things done by working with each other not against each other. Overall the company itself is a great place to work just need to improve on certain areas of the management team.
Pros
Excellent benefits, Excellent hours, decent pay
Cons
Management, poor ventilation in warehouse
use to be a fun place to work
product store specialst (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 11, 2019
was a great place to work, old management was second to none. under new management last I heard was they couldn't keep employees working there any more
Lumber Liquidators is cool.....
Stocker, Inventory Control, Receiving (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAApril 10, 2019
They hired me as a warehouse associate, but once there, I was basically expected to be a salesman, selling floors. Customers spending that much $$ on floors are super picky, so a good sell, usually took hours at first and a whole lot of, post sell visits.
Pros
free bottled water
Cons
I knew nothing about flooring.
Not impressed.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 10, 2019
Work was mediocre. Pay was mediocre. Management was mediocre. This was by no means the best job I've ever had. Would not recommend that anyone work in retail.
Its like working with a bunch of jackles
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  NEW YORKMarch 25, 2019
When you come in they like to preach the whole "we are a family" policy but when you get in its all cutthroat and backstabbers, other stores will try to straight up steal your sales even the stores in your region, nothing but a bunch of back stabbers sneaky people who will smile in your face and talk bad about you at the first given chance.

The management is all over the place they cant decide what is up and what is down every five minutes they come up with yet another "BRILLIANT IDEA" and they send it down the pipe line to the stores to be worked out while they sit in their offices patting themselves on the back yet they never have to actually do the manual labor, sometimes it takes DAYS to implement these ridiculous changes they want all while they want you to do ALL the other work you have do during the day and do everything perfectly with no flaws or its all kinds of threats thrown around and no matter what you do they feel like your not doing enough and your store is a "failure" if you are not doing exactly what they think you should be doing in their minds, not taking into account that many places are different and every store and every environment is not the same. Also its mandatory to become a telemarketer, so if you don"t like to call and harass people think about another job

The unnecessary 7 day work week is another downer MON-SAT ok but on Sundays the stores are a desert wasteland and the store ends the day in the red 98% of the time it is so unnecessary to be open at times your usually just paying staff to sit around in silence, they don't really care about
  more... the employees all they care about is the bottom dollar which i guess is natural in retail but they take it to a whole other level its almost cult like how they talk and preach the LL sermon.

they say the pay is competitive but they base that on country living they are based in the south so they feel that the wages they pay are fair everywhere which is asinine to say the least anyhow you live in a big city you can't survive off of what they pay even the managers, there's times that the regular associates can make more than the managers after overtime, which is rare I admit because the managers aren't allowed to give any overtime even in a store that's open 7 DAYS A WEEK 12 HRS A DAY oh yeah WITH A 3-4 PERSON STAFF sounds impossible ???? well that's what they wanted and if you didn't follow the rules you were reprimanded and written up AS A MANAGER!!!! People were hired and fired so much with this company from week to week you could have an entirely different work staff and you can be severely short handed in the time of looking for new hires that you in turn have to train so they are no real good to you for a month or so after starting if ever, so sometimes managers have to be there exceeding 60 hours some weeks WITH NO OVERTIME PAY!!!! Its already MANDATORY to work 50+ hours and if your short staffed you have to pick up the slack so forget your home life and your family.... but i digress i could type a book about how bad this place is to work for but i think you get the point.... all in all just stay away from this place if you know whats good for you.
Pros
they have OK benefits
Cons
The whole work experience and the job itself
Great place to work, if not for the “buddy” system
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Nitro, WVMarch 24, 2019
This would have been the place I retired, if it had not been for the “buddy” system. Company pays very well. I was a store manager, and my store was struggling with selling installs. Well, that’s because my store went through a third party for installs, who hired sub-contractors to do the work for them. Good installers are very hard to find. So when you find them, you should keep them, and take care of them. That means, LL gets a cut, the third party gets a cut, and then the installer gets his cut. If there was any left to give him. I tried several times to do away with the third party, and because the owner of the install company was friends with the regional sales manager, my cries went unheard. I understood completely, about being under contract with the “bigger company”, but was told that LL would “never donaway with the “bigger company. They have completely forgotten what got them where they are. Eventually, even though I had never been written up before, they found a mistake I had made, and let me go. Loved my team. Loved the business, but cannot day the same about senior staff.
Pros
Pay, time off, fast paced
Cons
Regional staff
prefer not to say
General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 22, 2019
Worked at company several years ago. At the time it was more focused on opening new stores than focused on employee development. Good stepping stone but not long term
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 21, 2019
There's an idea out there that diversity doesn’t have to be called out as a need to know it’s important. But the way I think about it is similar to the way our company identifies our basic beliefs, like integrity and respect for the individual. We call these things out because we never want to lose sight of them.
Lumber Liquidators sucks......
RSSM (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 12, 2019
the RSSM position totally sucks....the emails and phone calls never stop 7 days a week !!!! they dump everything on the RSSM. they also realign the regions on occasion and you end up driving 4 hours each way.....do you like working until 5-6pm then driving 2 1/2 hours home ? only to get up and do it over the next day...ect ?
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no life what so ever
Easy Work
Installation Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 10, 2019
Boring work but decent pay. The work is easy but there is little opportunity to move up until the company moves its headquarters. Good starting job for people wanting to transition to office work.
Rather not
Sales/Design Associate (Current Employee) –  IndianaMarch 6, 2019
Company is fine, fine products, worked here and just moving on for personal reasons that do not neccesarily need to be recorded as a review for no reason?
Communication is Key
Sales and Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 2, 2019
The benefits and pay worked well for me. That I will not deny. I learned a lot about flooring in the time I was there for. The main issue for me was the fact that a few of us working there didnt get proper information to do our job a lot of times. It created a frustrating work environment. I was also told to clock out for lunch even though a lot of times I never actually got a break because it got too busy.
Pros
Good pay/benefits, good experience
Cons
inconsistent information and communication
Not a bad place to work for retail
Product Specialist/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Township, PAFebruary 28, 2019
I’ll give a condensed version of my experience with lumber Liquidators. As a product specialist you basically are in charge of the warehouse which means unloading products from a truck, loading customers, and helping customers in the show room. I had a good store manager who actually helped with the physical part of the work(which is rare in management) . The lay was about on par for what I did, although I feel like the work schedule was a little wonky. We all worked every single weekend which gets old fast. I feel like we all could of had one weekend off a month considering there were only 4 of us working at the store. At the end of the day I quit there due to the schedule/working hours which consisted of all mid shifts. I’m an early morning guy like to get in and get out.
Pros
Nice management, discount
Cons
Weekend work, working hours
Great Company to work for
Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toano, VAFebruary 26, 2019
Productive, friendly environment , enjoy my co workers. The job is moving and I will not be moving with the company. They are moving to the Richmond area
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Long drive when I have to go to the office
It's a good work experienced
Merchandise Handler (Current Employee) –  Sandston, VAFebruary 21, 2019
I enjoy working there. I just feel like they overlook their good workers and take there time to train employees to move up the work ladder. I like the job.
Pros
Doing the breakdowns builds up your muscle strenght
Cons
Lots of walking in the warehouse
Fast paced yet fun.
Distribution (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 10, 2019
Excellent workplace environment. Professional. Management was top of the line. Fast paced yet challenging and fun. Level of advancement was fair. Would recommend.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lumber Liquidators. Our community is ready to answer.