Lunds & Byerlys Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Poor Upper Mgmt - No Advancement
Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka Mills, MNJuly 31, 2018
The most enjoyable part of working at L&B are the customers and a few employees. DO NOT expect to get a FT job; advancement given to favorites. FT positions not always posted because they have a favorite employee they want in position. This breaks union rules but union won't back you. Union SUCKS!!!
Pros
fun customers & employees also 10% disc
Cons
No advancement & poor benefits. Pay union dues so FT staff gets all the benefits
Slow paced, quiet evironment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJuly 22, 2018
Very slow paced. I spent my whole shift standing in one place without a real opportunity to do anything else. The other employees were helpful when needed but overall I didn't like working there. Paid very little.
Cozy Family Environment
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MNJuly 20, 2018
A typical day at LnB, you work in your designated department of the grocery store. Mangement of the said department will tell you your tasks for the shift, then proceed to perform tasks while working with customers. The holiday seasons are the busiest time and most likely to be hired. The holiday season can become very stressful but it is doable.

The only issue is that even though everyone who works there is very friendly within each department there may be drama amongst workers. Mangement may become biased to workers whom they see more often.
Pros
10% - 25% discounts with and without sale items, shifts are flexible and negotiable
Good as a first High School Job
Grocery, Produce, Cashier, Deli (Former Employee) –  Prior Lake, MNJuly 13, 2018
Union job so pay raises are set per hours worked. Once you hit that max you cant go up unless you are full time which was my reason for leaving. Other wise a pretty chill and forgiving company, they just dont give enough opportunities unless you are full time.
Decent, but somewhat deceitful.
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 22, 2018
It is unclear if I am alone in this, but as I mentioned prior, they fooled me into changing positions to meet their needs. That alone is enough for me to rate them the way I did. A typical day of work was making sandwiches and salads, cutting meats and cheeses, stocking and serving these and other deli food products. I learned how to do all of the above things, as well as clean the various stations. Management was likely in league, or else failed to properly communicate the nature of my change of position. Otherwise, they ran things well. I was reasonably well treated in the deli team I became a part of, and got along with everyone pretty well. For me (which will by no means apply to everyone), it was tough to keep up the pace when it came to cleaning, set up, and take down. Talking with coworkers and customers and I learned the job, and served our products, was the best part for me.
Pros
Good co-workers, tasty samples.
Cons
Being tricked, and keeping up with the fast pace.
Productive and nice place to work. Offered many positions to advance to
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNJune 17, 2018
Lunds & Byerlys offered a very safe home like work environment. The customers, managers and co-workers welcomed me with open arms. They offered me a flexible schedule but not much benefits as a part time position.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Extremely short breaks times, only 15 minutes
Its just a grocery store, kinda higher end with a lot of elderly customers
Bagger/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNMay 27, 2018
I did it as a part time job during high school, it was a great high school job, easy to do bagging and cashiering if you're not too dedicated and there's the possibility of moving up or into different departments if you want more hours and better pay.
Not a great place to work in.
DELI CLERK (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 21, 2018
The workplace culture was toxic. Management was horrible. No benefits or paid time off. The department manager did not know what she was doing and couldn't manage people.
No room for advancement
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MN 56301May 21, 2018
Political Environment, no room for advancement, work goes unnoticed unless it is negative. Poor training, inconsistent hours, pay is poor, management could slim down the management and hire more mid level employees
free food and monthly birthday cake for all employees
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lake Mills, IAMay 17, 2018
fast pace, able to buy some of the products on some items. clean place to work. chance to learn different areas and operate different equipment a day
Pros
good tasing items
Cons
breaks
Actually a really fun place
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNApril 30, 2018
Honestly, the only reason I'm even thinking about leaving is hours took a massive cut suddenly. Otherwise, I'd stick around. There are great benefits, even for a part time worker. Also, working in the deli means you never have to deal with cash or coupons, so not as much drama, but that doesn't mean there's less work to do. You'll be busy all day.
Pros
Good managers, good benefits
Cons
Hours cut randomly
Productive and Fun Workplace
Deli/Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNApril 28, 2018
Working in the Deli was one of my favorite jobs. I enjoyed working with the customers and being able to suggest a good pairing of salad, meat, and cheese. The coworkers were mostly friendly and helpful when I was training in, and the management was friendly for the most part as well. There is lots of standing, and the breaks are short but paid. The deli encourages sampling the food so as to be able to suggest food to customers who aren't sure what they're looking for.
Pros
Discounts, and fun work environment
Cons
Short breaks, 9 months until benefits, and occasionally rude customers
Fun coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNApril 21, 2018
My co-workers were fun to work with. The job itself required long hours on your feet and minimal movement. You have to expect customers to come in waves.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks
Relaxed Workplace
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNApril 2, 2018
Very flexible for a high school student looking to get into the workforce. Low stress and easy, perfect for those who are trying to balance school, extracurriculars, and work.
Management Struggled
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 29, 2018
At the time management in each department seemed to think about what was best for them, and not what was best for the company and each of their employees. Because of this turnaround was high, so it created more opportunity for people to grow.
Pros
internal growth opportunities
Cons
Poor Management at the time
Working with others
Cashier & Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  3777 Park Center Blvd St. Loius Park MN 55416March 25, 2018
Keeping register clean at the same time while taking care of the customers whether ringing up items or helping them find what they need. Keep the stress level down by not letting it bother you, The supervisors and management was good to work with, Work all different cultures,The hardest part of the job was when others were slacking on a daily and would just stand there then he until they were told by management to a job instead of just pitching in. working with people others was the best.
Pros
10 percent discount all purchases
Cons
10min break for four hours or 2 10's for 6or more
Fun and exciting place to work!
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chanhassen, MNMarch 19, 2018
Lunds and Byerlys was one of the best jobs I have ever had. I loved going to work every day! management was excellent it seemed like there was no end to what they could do to help. over all I would recommend this as a place to work.
Wonderful company to work for
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNFebruary 21, 2018
I loved this job, however the hours just aren't there for a part time job. Maximum hours allowed was 28, so they wouldn't be required to offer the health care plan to part time employees.
Overall good company
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNFebruary 5, 2018
Many times understaffed. Short breaks unable to eat a meal during long shifts. Scheduling process (Kronos) very inefficient. Many times gaps left in schedule or overlaps.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Short breaks, understaffed
Fast paced workplace that could be stressful at times
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJanuary 23, 2018
Lunds and byerlys is a pretty fast paced work environment where you could quickly become overwhelmed by customers. The management usually tries to help in any way they can to ease the burden on each cashier, but sometimes, they aren't around and you are alone, with a line of 8 impatient customers. Other than that, the flow of customers is pretty constant and you won't have too much downtime.
Pros
good break room, electronic scheduling
Cons
hard to change schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lunds & Byerlys. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight