Lunds & Byerlys Employee Reviews

safe environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wayzata, MNOctober 14, 2018
I was harassed by a customer before, and the company worked well with me to solve the problem and I was able to feel safe at work. They are also very friendly and nice to all of the workers and customers.
Poor management/communication and favoritism
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNOctober 2, 2018
I worked for L&B at Plymouth MN, Vicksburg. Management there was bad. Resigned due to this-"Last night was my first night working. May I say that there's too much fear/unethical work within the department. Not sure if this is harassment, but it does seem like power abuse to me. (Blank) was complaining to me all night about (Perfection). He said that (Blank) is critical and will yell at him/others if the aisle's not (Perfect). For that, (Blank) chewed on me last night about perfection. Now I'm not sure if that's how things are generally run there, but I cannot work there if this is the demand or way you guys treat each other. For example: every tuna cans must meet same height, same stack, and facing the same direction. To me I can see that things do need to be neat, but not perfect. At the end everything needs work, even management. Now, I came to you, because you're the store manager and I do hope you resolve this issue. I did notify HR as well and must say that I cannot work tonight because of this issue. Unless this is resolve and I am notify of it, I am not comfortable being there at all."

Store Manager: "I’m sorry to hear that you had concerns about our policies and procedures. We will accept this as your resignation. Your hours worked will be paid and a check will be mailed to your home."

THIS...is how poor management was to me. HR: Did nothing but pass my concerns to district: Which he/she did nothing as well. It's funny too, cause HR is higher than district and they knew nothing of protocols when these issues occur.

Now Main Point: No help, unethical work:
  more... behavior is an action that falls outside of what is considered morally right or proper for a person, a profession or an industry. No professionalism, no VALUE in employees, and REALLY BAD COMMUNICATION.

Hope this helps others out there, maybe it's only this location or every L & B.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
this is just how it is
FOOD CLERK (Former Employee) –  1201 Hennepin Ave southSeptember 20, 2018
It can be demanding and stressful some customers don't act like they have sense some of the employees have the same manners and sometimes you get a few people who know what they're doing and can handle things
Pros
Discounts on groceries okay work environment
Cons
Some customers can be stuck up or just completely annoying
Lunds and Bylerys
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 26, 2018
Lunds and Bylerys is a good place to work It is friendly and flexible.The management is fair and reasonable.There is room for advancement.I was happy working there.It is a good place to work.
Poor Upper Mgmt - No Advancement
Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka Mills, MNJuly 31, 2018
The most enjoyable part of working at L&B are the customers and a few employees. DO NOT expect to get a FT job; advancement given to favorites. FT positions not always posted because they have a favorite employee they want in position. This breaks union rules but union won't back you. Union SUCKS!!!
Pros
fun customers & employees also 10% disc
Cons
No advancement & poor benefits. Pay union dues so FT staff gets all the benefits
Lack of vision and empathy.
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Twin Cities, MNJuly 28, 2018
I've worked for this company for almost 2 decades. Over the course of my experience it's been hammered home that the upper management of this company does not create a culture of respect or empathy. Many decisions are made with a complete lack of understanding of what the day in day out operations look like. When questions or critiques are brought up, they are usually dismissed. "Just figure it out" is not leadership, nor is it a phrase that one uses to inspire loyalty. It shows a complete lack of vision. Years ago, this company had a survey that ALL employees could fill out annually. Recently (over the past few years) they stopped offering this survey. Now it seems the employees don't have any way to directly impact their work environment. This has slowly eroded morale and trust in leadership.
Pros
Emploee discount 10%, benefits provided through union membership
Cons
Inflexible scheduling, poor communication top to bottom
Slow paced, quiet evironment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJuly 22, 2018
Very slow paced. I spent my whole shift standing in one place without a real opportunity to do anything else. The other employees were helpful when needed but overall I didn't like working there. Paid very little.
Cozy Family Environment
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MNJuly 20, 2018
A typical day at LnB, you work in your designated department of the grocery store. Mangement of the said department will tell you your tasks for the shift, then proceed to perform tasks while working with customers. The holiday seasons are the busiest time and most likely to be hired. The holiday season can become very stressful but it is doable.

The only issue is that even though everyone who works there is very friendly within each department there may be drama amongst workers. Mangement may become biased to workers whom they see more often.
Pros
10% - 25% discounts with and without sale items, shifts are flexible and negotiable
Good as a first High School Job
Grocery, Produce, Cashier, Deli (Former Employee) –  Prior Lake, MNJuly 13, 2018
Union job so pay raises are set per hours worked. Once you hit that max you cant go up unless you are full time which was my reason for leaving. Other wise a pretty chill and forgiving company, they just dont give enough opportunities unless you are full time.
Decent, but somewhat deceitful.
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 22, 2018
It is unclear if I am alone in this, but as I mentioned prior, they fooled me into changing positions to meet their needs. That alone is enough for me to rate them the way I did. A typical day of work was making sandwiches and salads, cutting meats and cheeses, stocking and serving these and other deli food products. I learned how to do all of the above things, as well as clean the various stations. Management was likely in league, or else failed to properly communicate the nature of my change of position. Otherwise, they ran things well. I was reasonably well treated in the deli team I became a part of, and got along with everyone pretty well. For me (which will by no means apply to everyone), it was tough to keep up the pace when it came to cleaning, set up, and take down. Talking with coworkers and customers and I learned the job, and served our products, was the best part for me.
Pros
Good co-workers, tasty samples.
Cons
Being tricked, and keeping up with the fast pace.
Productive and nice place to work. Offered many positions to advance to
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNJune 17, 2018
Lunds & Byerlys offered a very safe home like work environment. The customers, managers and co-workers welcomed me with open arms. They offered me a flexible schedule but not much benefits as a part time position.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Extremely short breaks times, only 15 minutes
Its just a grocery store, kinda higher end with a lot of elderly customers
Bagger/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNMay 27, 2018
I did it as a part time job during high school, it was a great high school job, easy to do bagging and cashiering if you're not too dedicated and there's the possibility of moving up or into different departments if you want more hours and better pay.
Not a great place to work in.
DELI CLERK (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 21, 2018
The workplace culture was toxic. Management was horrible. No benefits or paid time off. The department manager did not know what she was doing and couldn't manage people.
No room for advancement
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MN 56301May 21, 2018
Political Environment, no room for advancement, work goes unnoticed unless it is negative. Poor training, inconsistent hours, pay is poor, management could slim down the management and hire more mid level employees
free food and monthly birthday cake for all employees
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lake Mills, IAMay 17, 2018
fast pace, able to buy some of the products on some items. clean place to work. chance to learn different areas and operate different equipment a day
Pros
good tasing items
Cons
breaks
Actually a really fun place
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNApril 30, 2018
Honestly, the only reason I'm even thinking about leaving is hours took a massive cut suddenly. Otherwise, I'd stick around. There are great benefits, even for a part time worker. Also, working in the deli means you never have to deal with cash or coupons, so not as much drama, but that doesn't mean there's less work to do. You'll be busy all day.
Pros
Good managers, good benefits
Cons
Hours cut randomly
Productive and Fun Workplace
Deli/Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNApril 28, 2018
Working in the Deli was one of my favorite jobs. I enjoyed working with the customers and being able to suggest a good pairing of salad, meat, and cheese. The coworkers were mostly friendly and helpful when I was training in, and the management was friendly for the most part as well. There is lots of standing, and the breaks are short but paid. The deli encourages sampling the food so as to be able to suggest food to customers who aren't sure what they're looking for.
Pros
Discounts, and fun work environment
Cons
Short breaks, 9 months until benefits, and occasionally rude customers
Fun coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNApril 21, 2018
My co-workers were fun to work with. The job itself required long hours on your feet and minimal movement. You have to expect customers to come in waves.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short breaks
Relaxed Workplace
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNApril 2, 2018
Very flexible for a high school student looking to get into the workforce. Low stress and easy, perfect for those who are trying to balance school, extracurriculars, and work.
Management Struggled
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 29, 2018
At the time management in each department seemed to think about what was best for them, and not what was best for the company and each of their employees. Because of this turnaround was high, so it created more opportunity for people to grow.
Pros
internal growth opportunities
Cons
Poor Management at the time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lunds & Byerlys. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

2.6Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight