Lupe Tortilla Mexican Restaurants Employee Reviews

Common Restaurant franchise
Waiter/Server (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 4, 2018
Nothing out of the ordinary with this company except for the fact that they really like to hire from within. Besides that I was only a server for a short amount of time and cant say anything else least i give the wrong impression (whether that be good or bad)
A day at Lupe
Server/Server Trainer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 20, 2018
Shifts at Lupe Tortilla for a server are around five hours, they are simple if you know what you're doing. However, Lupe Tortilla seems to hire a lot of older servers. The tipshare percentage is high, its at 4% and sometimes you tip out around $50-$60.

Managers are okay, very friendly but not the most efficient.
Pros
Short Shifts/ No side work
Cons
High tipshare %
“Es pretty baaad”
Server (Current Employee) –  Atascocita, TXFebruary 25, 2018
Managers are rude and condescending. Scheduling is a nightmare, you’re given one schedule and god help you if you need a day off for an emergency, management plays no role in accommodating schedules after your done training. This chain has a lot of quirks that go against their “standards”. Corporate is big on making a serving job harder than it needs to be. The money can be good but it’s not as good as management lead me to believe. Tip share is 4% and it’s not worth it. Worst bussers I’ve ever seen. It’s obvious 1/2 the team in corporate has never waited tables or even worked in a restaurant. I Would not recommend working for Lupe Tortilla.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Management, long hours, stressful, under appreciated
Stressful company. Favoritism and poor management
Server (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 16, 2018
Only place ive worked in where I don't feel comfortable with the management. Very sketchy and also the managers do not stay professional and try to be too close with you and get offenddd easily if you're not "buddy-buddy" with them. Care more about coworker drama than going out and talking to the guests
Good server job, not for Dining room coordinators
Dining Room Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 20, 2018
The dining room coordinators do not get paid enough for the work and stress you have to deal with, but servers make pretty good money so I'd recommend doing that. Management was ok, definitely could be better.
Good place to work at
Hostess (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 21, 2017
The people are good there but management could be better. Not to much favoriting and most try to be fair. Strict when it comes to being on time but understanding in certain situtations.
Tex Mex Restaurant
To-Go/Cocktail/Server (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXOctober 6, 2017
A regular shift at Lupe Tortilla will always have a complication, something always goes wrong, someone always gets mad, someone always argues, and believe me if I say it's the staff, not the guest. I learned that the work environment at Lupe Tortilla was not to be there to make friends but to be your own person and mind your own business, as wells as stay out of people's way. I was never able to grow within the company, I never felt safe, or secured there. The management was not as poorly as many people would imagine. They listen to you, they hear you out, and they help you in any way they can. The hardest part of the job is having to comfort co workers that bring their personal feelings into the work. Your personal business should never affect your skills in a job. The most enjoyable part of Lupe Tortilla is being able to interact with customers that love our food and appreciate the hard work many people put to satisfy their needs and make them feel like coming three times a week is perfectly fine.
Pros
Free food.
Cons
Benefits, hours.
managers aren't so great but great guest
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Houston Heights, TXOctober 5, 2017
It's mostly a relaxed environment if you can get over your managers not being so great. The guests are always great and they tip well and its an easy menu to learn.
Definitely not the best restaurant I've worked at
Server (Current Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXSeptember 19, 2017
Relatively easy concerning waiting tables, management is uptight. They promised an amount of money per shift that has yet to be met, as their clientele and business is not nearly what they led me to believe.
it was okay
Busser (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2017
Managers should treat employees better , understand that we have things to do like wake up at 6 am for school , great for the experience but the managers could've handled themselves better .
okay work place
Head Bartender (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 11, 2017
Working here was nice until there was new management. The new management wasn't very understanding and was not flexible with my schooling. They removed all females from lead positions and replaced them with males.
Lupe Tortilla
Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2017
Good Management Training which went into dept. Training included learning all aspect of restaurant management and service. The most enjoyable part was interacting with employees and guest. The toughest part was balance hours required to work.
Pros
Training
Cons
Hours working
Fun and fast paced job
Hostess/Server (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJune 27, 2017
A typical day at work is a steady pace of taking tables with minimum troubles. I've learned a lot working here from my peoples skills to being a focused and faster worker. the management at Lupe Tortilla is great and are always willing to help and teach when needed.
Pros
Discounted meals
This job is not for everyone
Server (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXJune 22, 2017
You can make ok money with this company but for 2.13 an hour they will milk all the work out of you that they can. There was many nights we were kept for hours passes out cut time. Which would be ok if the compensation was worth it.
Pros
Discount food
Cons
Alot of extra work.
the job sucks
Dining Room Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJune 15, 2017
Management does not care about its employees. They tell half truths and do not provide a supportive environment for their employees. Employees are treated like servants instead of with dignity
Pros
no pros
Solid work environment and very much potential
Server Assistant/Busser (Current Employee) –  Pearland, TXJune 14, 2017
Lupe Tortilla is a versatile business with many job opportunities from working on the floor as a busser to working in the kitchen, and even as a manager, that being either front or back of house. I have made a nice living up to this point with this company but I'm looking for something relatively new as far as employment goes. I have experience with customers, technology, and communication. I have a versatile work style and ethic and I can work with just about anyone or doing anything. I am a very fast learner and faster worker, if necessary.
Pros
managers would buy you lunch for working hard, or even give you a break
Cons
working with some people that may not have the same mindset as you can be a hindrance, but you work through it.
Fun, fast paced place to work.
Busser (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park TexasJune 6, 2017
I loved working there. Everybody was so relaxed and helpful. As me being the new guy, i always had a lot of questions. My coworkers had no problem answering them.
Pros
Discounts on great food. Free drinks. Amazing family like work environment.
Cons
Tough work. Your on your feet all day.
Its your typical server job
Waiter/Server (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2017
The job isn't too hard. What really impacts the job is having to learn a little spanish here and there. Other than that, its just like every other servers job
Very welcoming atmosphere
Server (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 29, 2017
Everyone is always willing to help, never too stressful in a team-oriented environment.
I've learned patience and working under pressure as well as multi-tasking.
I appreciate the constant renovation of management.
The culture is organic.
The hardest part is feeling unproductive during quiet shifts.
I enjoyed building relationships and gaining efficient communicationskills.
Pros
Management considers their servers first
Cons
Quiet morning shifts
Great place to start!
Dining Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Woodlands, TXMarch 21, 2017
Every day in this sort of employment will always be different. I had the opportunity to work under, in my opinion, the best managing partner in the company. He took the Lupe culture and combined it with his drive for success overall and for others, to teach me a majority of what I know in dealing with guests. The hardest part was the overwhelming hours, being close to 45-55 a week, with little compensation for the work load I was performing. It is a fast paced and friendly environment that is wonderful for anyone wanting to learn more about restaurant management
Pros
comp food, great general manager
Cons
hours, enviornment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lupe Tortilla Mexican Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.