LUPUS FOUNDATION OF AMERICA

LUPUS FOUNDATION OF AMERICA Employee Reviews

Strong mission
This organization is mission-focused. It is all about the constituency they serve which is admirable. They put the patient first in all they do. It is a pleasure to go into work knowing the mission is at the center.
Terrible
Hard to imagine a worse working environment than Lupus Foundation of America. Worked there for 2 years and was basically pushed out because the boss didn't like me. Yeah, she just didn't care for the way I worked and would talk about me behind my back. Sure, I was good at my job and exceeded my metrics, I just didn't care for the oddly political environment and was punished for it. There are plenty of other non-profits to get involved with if you're interested. Don't waste your time on this unprofessional group.
Pros
hands on events experience
Cons
Literally everything but that
Volunteer
I was not employed by the Lupus Foundation. I was a volunteer. The time spent volunteering was very rewarding. The work that is done by the foundation is very important to those they support.
Pros
Great Organization and what they do.
Productive and Collaborative Workplace
A small office that provides a collaborative and nurturing environment for all its employees. Foundation retains wonderful relationships with patients.
Decent work, less than stellar management
- Poor management
- Racial driven work culture

- A typical day at work consisted of website management, news updates, and other technical concerns.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Extremely rewarding experience
Serving DC, Maryland and Virginia patients living with lupus and their caregivers taught me that people living with a chronic disease are some of the strongest people I have ever met. There has only been one drug approved for lupus in decades yet there is always hope.
Pros
Great staff
Team environment
Very small staff
labor intensive events

every day is different

technology problems

positive, open door culture

learn a lot about nonprofits

a lot of responsibility for little pay

no room for advancement
Pros
flex time
Cons
small staff, no growth potential
Well- balance work environment great for internships
it's a great place to jump start your career in healthcare or clinical operations, because this place provides the fast-pace and heart felt work experience you will soon experience when working in healthcare facilities or CROs.
Lfa-dmv
Great place to gain experience as a intern. Loved the environment and staff. Had the opportunity to present at health fair and assist the patient navigator.
What you learned
I learned to sympathize with others who battle with sickness and diseases. I was able to communicate more effectively the nature of lupus to others who were or were knowledgeable of the disease.
Pros
education
Cons
Challenging and demanding while enjoyable
Vision and mission driven workplace. A non for profit organization that has an excellent leadership and a great sense of workplace solidarity, I found it a great place to work.
I loved being involved in program development, outreach and fundraising
I spent most days at home in my office with some meetings outside my office in Asheville, N.C. The broad was located in Charlotte where I occasionally attended board meetings or planning sessions for events. I was solely responsible for planning all activities, events and support-education series. I was assisted by 3-4 main volunteers 2 who were employed in the healthcare field.

I learned how larger non profits operate and how much waist there is in relation to funds being spent on marketing etc I learned more about public speaking, public health, disparities in healthcare and how to ask for what we needed and actually get it mostly, as we relied heavily on community support.

I managed myself and the other 3-4 people working with me. My boss was the president of the state board for LFA and we have a great working relationship.

The hardest part for me was working 40 hour days with no compensation and having to use my own funds at times.

Event planning was my favorite. It was a way for the community to see our progress and celebrate our endeavors for the year and hopefully gain enough monetary support to continue.
Pros
working from home office and making my own hours.
Cons
no potential income or health care benefits, retirement etc.
design elements for web page, edit/create flyers, invitations for functions
Internship. Everyone was professional and easy to work with. Positive work environment. This was not a paid internship but was worth the experience.
Encouraging and Creative Environment for a Self Starter
Each day is different with the frequency of inquiries from the determined area of which we service, with event planning and fundraising on the forefront, those tasks are the most challenging and will allow for a self starter, motivated individual to do really well in such an environment that is better for someone who is truly independent.
President/CEO is a BULLY and micromanages
Great cause but a very unstable work environment. No one is happy! Huge turnover. No room to advance if you are not on a management level all the VPs are WHITE! Beware!
Pros
The cause
Cons
Too many to list
Community outreach activities
Typical work day includes communicating with local health professionals, soliciting vendors, planning special events, communicating with Social Media, local newspapers and TV stations, reaching out to lupus patients in the community.
Acceptable work environment
My typical work day is to process invoice payable, complete month end bank reconciliation, reconcile credit card. My co workers are friendly.
Excellent opportunity to impact the larger community affected by lupus
Enjoyable position and job because of its focus on assisting, informing, educating and impacting those affected by lupus. The larger managment team through the national chapter allowed for mentoring the growth of the chapter and those involved at each level.
Pros
Assisting those impacted by lupus
Cons
Fund-raising during an economic depression 2007-2010.
Wonderful Place to Make a DIfference
If you are looking for a place to work where you will be able to help those in need, apply here. It is a high-stress, deadline-driven environment, but if you care about your work, it is worth it,
Great company to learn
I worked as an intern. I had great experience. Management offered lots of learning options.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
very demanding
I enjoyed going to work on a daily basis.
I loved to recieve phone calls from all over the world. I provided information to the clients. I participated in Health Fairs giving information about Lupus. I was the only employee in Southern California. I was part of the first Lupus Walk in Los Angeles and San Diego.
Pros
Provided information that was laking in Southern California.
Cons
The main LFA office is in Washington, Dc
Ask a question about working or interviewing at LUPUS FOUNDATION OF AMERICA. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9