Lush Cosmetics Employee Reviews

Stressful and fast paced
SENIOR SALES AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 16, 2017
I worked at a high capacity shop with poor management. It was chaotic all of the time. I was responsible for managing register associates. Those individuals appreciated the time I spend coaching them with positive feedback. I constantly received negative feedback from managers. The workplace culture was very relaxed... too relaxed. We needed more direction. I enjoyed working with the charitable portion of the company and hosting charity partners in the shops.
Pros
discount, coworkers with similiar ethics
Cons
lack of direction, lots of negative feedback
management was so awful
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZNovember 13, 2017
never listening to the employees and the store manager was very ignorant, got angry at people that questioned things. would hire more people and give others less hours.
Why I enjoy working for LUSH
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  MANovember 10, 2017
Lush is a great company to work for. I truly love their brand and the ethics behind it and my staff is one of the best reasons behind why I work there. I just sometimes find that work life balance can be hard to have.
Pros
Health care
Love the company, hate the management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 9, 2017
You think it's easy until you get into training and realize you have to remember not only every ingredient in every product but what it does and how it "benefits" the body. Then, on top of that, you are expected to link and transition around the store to build baskets and sales. 90% of people who go in are "just looking" but you are required to keep checking in with that customer and offer them demos even if they do not seem like they want it.

This is just the tip of the iceberg! Wait until you start working and your coworkers either no call/no show for no reason or just straight up come to work hungover and angry over the most childish of things.

I still love the products, but now shop online instead of dealing with the drama of going into the shops.
Pros
amazing discount on products
Cons
short breaks, frustrated managers, too many employees and not enough hours to go around
This place is geared to a young demographic. I worked seasonally and
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CANovember 1, 2017
I worked my entire stint for the holiday season in 2016 determined to complete my commitment. It was in my opinion a very bad experience. The company is geared to the younger demographic and the managers of these young people are rude and abrupt. The one manager asked me to find what appeared to be a needle in a haystack in their very unorganinzed back room. She acted as I was and idiot and threw the box on the floor in front of me and said it was right there! The same manager discussed issues that seemed to be best discussed in private on the floor in front of customers. I would NEVDER go back. I did however upon leaving express my concerns only as I felt it would help others in the future.
Pros
free broken bath bombs
Cons
see above
Great principle, terrible execution
Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  AZOctober 30, 2017
LUSH truly stands for and behind wonderful morals. The company was founded by an incredible team who are still active in the company's advancement....in Europe. The North American team, however, is a joke. They do not follow the company's initiatives and there are certain people who move into higher positions that are not earned or deserved.

In one of the locations I worked at, part of the management team couldn't even speak to the true characteristics of products and rushed through demos just to get to the next customer. I fell in love with LUSH because of the attention to detail that is suppose to come with consultations. Yes, build baskets and get customers to purchase a larger number of items (it is sales after all) but don't be rude or force people to get something just so you hit your numbers.
Treat employees fairly but there can be a lot of drama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 26, 2017
The wages are awesome, essentially no dress code as long as you wear black/white, flexible schedules, room for advancement, great company values.

I would work at LUSH again but at another location. I had a manager that would pick favorites and make it very obvious. After some particularly condescending remarks, I even considered going to corporate. Also, there is a lot of pressure to be extraordinarily outgoing and sometimes even pushy on selling even if the customer is not really into it.

Otherwise, I admire the company's core value and its extremely relaxed and fair treatment of employees. Also, you get a sick 50% discount and often freebies as well.
Pros
great starting wage, discount, free stuff
Cons
poor management
Fun work environment, not much growth
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 24, 2017
GREAT WORK ENVIRONMENT. Fun people who are extremely kind. Very hard to move up. That was the only issue. You learn about topical holistic hygiene items and get great discounts.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
no career advancement
Fun place to work
SALES AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 19, 2017
The management is light hearted and willing to work with you, although it is difficult to memorize every single ingredient and their benefits for the skin and hair. The environment is laid back and fun and it smells great!
Not at all what it seems
Sales Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 18, 2017
Lush Cosmetics seems like the ideal place for a bright, colorful, extrovert such as myself, but take a look behind the bath bombs and 50% product discount and you're thrown back to early high school days of favoritism, drama, and backhanded, passive agressive management styles. Don't work here if you like clear communication, fair opportunities for advancement, or keeping your work and personal lives separate, because unless you're getting drinks with your manager every weekend, there's really no hope that you'll be treated as a real person or a valued employee. I'm the best person in te shop, I have numerous positive reviews on our Facebook page, and yet I never work more that 18 hours in a week. Others get 8 or sometimes 4. If they don't like you, they won't tell you to your face or try to help you get better, they'll only go behind your back to frustrate you into quitting. The management is immature and cliquey, the job is draining and frustrating, and unless you were popular in high school, you'll never get anywhere here.
The products are great. The day to day of the job is great. The company is great. But the shop politics are a nightmare.
Pros
MASSIVE discount, staff boxes, paid meetings, fun events, great customers
Cons
Cliquey, immature, dramatic, too personal
Loved the people, but strict management and very prescriptive roles
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lone Tree, COOctober 16, 2017
Very busy and stressful all the time. Expected to leave work more energized than when you came in so I would say this isn't the best environment for introverts. Sales interactions have become very prescriptive; managers talk about providing the Lush experience for customers but they are really just all about numbers like any other sales. Loved and love my co-workers, however. I've never been sad to leave a place of work like I feel leaving Lush, but it's become militaristic.
Pros
discounts, wonderful co-workers, fun products and activities
Cons
Poor management, prescriptive language and interactions with customers
Better paying retail work
Floor Leader (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 16, 2017
It is very hard to get full time with this company, but your base pay when you start is $10 an hour so weigh your options when applying. Lush is a very open and safe environment. If this is important to you, I recommend working here. They are also very ethical, fair-trade and work with grassroots charities. Expect to work nights, weekends and holidays. It has more forgiving pay and environment than most retail jobs, but it does still have a lot of the downsides of working retail.
Pros
Accrued PTO, accrued paid sick time, accepting and open environment, good hourly pay
Cons
Nepotism/favoritism, lack of career advancement, no healthcare, retail work hours (nights and weekends)
You fall in love with the product, and then it ends
Senior Sales Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYOctober 14, 2017
You fall in love with the product, drink the kool-aid, then it becomes a stressful, cutthroat environment where you're pit against each other and compared side by side.
Great environment
Sales Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Des Peres, MOOctober 13, 2017
Everyone at Lush is awesome. They are the kindest, most empathetic, caring humans you will meet. My only issue was I didn't make enough to cover my bills but otherwise it was one of the best jobs I've ever had.
Pros
Huge discount, friendly and supportive team
Cons
Not enough hours to pay bills
In Store Trainer and Floor Leader (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 12, 2017
Great environment. Company actively encourages employees to be themselves and offers selling initiatives. Management was always courteous and excited to be on the sales floor.
Lovely People
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buford, GA 30519October 12, 2017
Super fun, worked during the holidays my employment was seasonal. The team dynamic was really friendly and they made sure you had a great time and was confident in sales and training. A great job if you have a passion for skin care and their products.
Pros
great team, discount, places to eat at mall
Cons
n/a
Fun while working
Senior Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXOctober 10, 2017
While its still work you get to try out products on customers to get the best products needed for their wants. Flexible hours and the last manager that I was able to work with was very easy and fun to work with.
Everyone who knows Lush wants to work for Lush...
Floor Leader (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYOctober 9, 2017
Fast paced depending on your location and what days. Overall I enjoyed this company even through the very difficult management. Mostly stay self motivated, know what you want to do in your position, don't slack, definitely do your role and have fun. The best part are the great customers and products and the way the company is presented and their good deeds. You may have trouble with management depending on your goals. You can make some life. May be a little difficult if you're trying to do something for a living. Apply for hiring positions if so. I've heard from HR it is easier to move up once you start at sales... but it depends on how much you know and who favors you.Tip: make yourself useful so they'll need you. Find what you're great at and own. Great for the environment. Learned so many transferable skills!!! Won't ever regret working for Lush.
Pros
holiday parties, training in the the city, mangers have meeting in different states or countries, half off for you, great skills to learn
Cons
pay depends on manger and their favor, hours can be scarce, only benefits if full time, hard to move up
A quality product and wonderful product line
In-store Brand and Product Trainer (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZOctober 6, 2017
A great products company with a quality appeal. The products are amazing and very well made and makes them appealing to the customer and to the employees
Pros
Best products
Cons
Opportunity for vacation days can be limited
Great place to work if you want to make an impact
Floor Leader (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 6, 2017
The values is what made me want to work for the company, the people and the product is why I stayed for three years. They want you to grow into something bigger. The company stands by what the sell and how the obtain those ingredients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lush Cosmetics. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2