Lutheran Services Florida

• Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energizing work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness

Rough

Rough job and don’t feel happy at all. On call is exhausting and trying to my personal car. Too many cases and not enough training. Thrown in to serious situations without guidance. Training was long but did not give real hands on training.

Pros

Overtime pay

Cons

Everything else

Difficult work but rewarding!

LSF does all it can to support teams in the field although other factors impact the ability to have a better work/life balance. Management is supportive of the team and works hard to establish a positive work culture despite incredible challenges.

Pros

Rewarding work, team culture

Cons

Nature of social work

Unfortunately Sad

There really are children sleeping in the offices. Case managers have to babysit and transport kids in foster care constantly. Case managers have 60-70 children on their caseloads. No support from upper management. "It is what it is and it's not going away."

Pros

Overtime opportunities

Cons

No Work-Life balance, Extremely High Caseloads, Manditory On-Call, Broken Foster System

Impossible Position

If you have a family, this job is not for you. There is training but the training does not train you to do your job. The paperwork is impossible to complete in a 40 hour week. No support from upper management. There’s a high turnover because of the stress and lack of organization of this agency. Case managers are not fully trained with the resources needed to do the job. There’s a constant feeling of chaos in this position. New case managers have it the worst when trying to navigate the duties of the position. There’s no guidance and no balance of case load. Some case managers have high case loads in the 40’s or 50’s. On call is not presented accurately, and you become a taxi and adult babysitter one week out the month on top of still dealing with your caseload. Unrealistic expectations and lack of support from upper management. People usually work this position until they have a mental breakdown and walk out.

Pros

Trying to make a difference in someone’s life

Cons

Lack of support, upper management does not respect your time, unrealistic duties, no organization, feeling of constant burnout

Stressful

You have 3 months worth of training that covers things I had already learned through my social work degrees. They don't actually teach you how to do the job. There is so much paperwork and so many deadlines. Home visits, court, phone calls with clients and care givers. Turn over is very high, so yeah, there's room for advancement if your mental health can stay in tact for that long. It's a rough ride. You get plenty of overtime whether you want it or not. Mandatory on call shifts one weekend a month. It's a brutal job. Good luck.

Pros

Overtime

Cons

The job

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Somewhat of a Family work environment

My tenure at LSF ended in July 2018; but I enjoyed working there.I drove from Tampa to Largo M-F and I looked forward to going every day.Lots of traffic; but it gives you time to acclimate yourself for work and time to unwind when you leave work.

Pros

Work Site and Work Team

Cons

Need a bigger break room at the Admin location

Horrible work/life balance

After training, I was thrown in a team that was far behind in its tasks and deadlines, that no one could help the 'new girl'. The supervisor was extremely unwilling to help with questions, and the caseworkers would work 60+ hours in order to keep up.

Pros

Working to reunify families.

Cons

Hours, deadlines, management

Enjoyable experience.

I have spent 18 years in various HeadStart programs. I have enjoyed my experiences in all of the programs. I went in to each program knowing I was not going to be rich, but over I felt the pay was acceptable.

Overworked and overwhelming

Long hours and high caseloads. The expectation to complete all the tasks given is too high. There are not enough resources or case workers to be able to do the job effectively.

Toxic for the mind and body

For a company that "serves families" they do not care about yours. Benefits are garbage. There is no paid mat leave. Work life balance? Forget it. You have no authority but as soon as something goes wrong all blame is laid at you. That saying s*** runs down hill? Yeah.

Do not apply

I worked for this company for a total of 4 years. It is a disgrace you are micromanaged by the higher ups who dont care about the individuals well being or the children. Our center flooded and the bathrooms were out and they made us wait 3 hours before we could contact any aid. Children were wetting themselves and staff had to drive 15 mins to use the nearest bathroom. We were short staffed and yelled at for calling parents before we were informed to let them know. We lost staff and students that day and they went to another school and job.

A good company to work for.

I love working for Luthern services of florida. I love the hours and the time we get off. They have excellent benefits and retirement. They also keep you educated on all the new trainings.

Long hours and stressful

Working in child welfare is overall a stressful field. It can be rewarding but also have times of disappointment. You never know what to expect and can work longer hours based on unexpected events. Not a good place to work if you are a single parent with little support.

September 23, 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We want everyone to have an exceptional experience at Lutheran Services Florida. We are striving to be the best place for employees and we take all feedback for improvement seriously. Rest assured that the information you have provided has not gone unnoticed by us. LSF not only serves and makes a difference in the lives of those in our community, but we are also looking to enhance the lives of our employees. We are taking steps to provide Child Welfare Case Managers with the proper tools to help them succeed at their jobs, move up within the organization, and maintain a work/life balance, all while fostering relationships with their teams and Supervisors. Thank you again for your time and best of luck to you.

Lutheran services

This was one of the WORST jobs I’ve ever had in my life. When I first started I was very excited about opportunities I was going to gain and the knowledge. The lady that hired me was fired within the first week of me working there. I received way too many cases in a short span of being employed there. They have no resources to actually help the families out. They expect you to travel all over Pinellas, Pasco, and Hillsborough county to transport children to foster care. All while getting all of your work done for court. You get yelled at in court about things you have no control over. Especially when you receive a new case after someone leaves. The administrative assistant sits on her phone all day watching movies and shopping (must be nice.) they barley have foster homes for the children to go to. Or summer camp/after school programs for the children. You are literally a babysitter, Uber, and life coach all at once. I have yet receive my final check from this place. Overall this place is one of the most unorganized places I’ve ever been employed at and it honestly needs to be shut down

September 6, 2019

Gained experience and met awesome people

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing clients' lives change for the better because of the work you did. The Child Welfare Case Manager is a job where you need to be able to multi-task and have a BIG heart for children. It is a big team and they are there for support. The new management in the Largo office is felt and noticed in a good way. I think good changes are on the horizon for this department. I learned everything I know about child welfare here.

Case load too high, extremely high turnover rate, pay not enough

Not recommended if you want a life. No work life balance. Case loads stack up daily. Pay way too low. Stressful, Ware and tear on your car but they do pay mileage

August 19, 2019

Administrative Assistant

My day is sometimes fast paced sometimes slow. My coworkers are excellent. The benefits are excellent. This is a very committed organization. There is a lot of work done in communities that positively impact children and families. I look forward to coming to work every day. I've learned alot about this field and the business.

Pros

pto, tuition reimbursement, coworkers, management

Overworked, unrealistic work responsibilities and no communication. Corporate culture "mean girls".

Leadership is untrained in employee moral and care, case managers are treated like they have the problem; despite the fact, more than what should be is placed on them. No help is provided by leadership and when a mistake is made or things dont get done employees are treated like their time management skills are the issue.

Pros

Working with kids who are wonderful

April 12, 2019
Hello and thank you for sharing your feedback. We want everyone to have an exceptional experience at Lutheran Services Florida. We are striving to be the best place for employees and we take all feedback for improvement seriously. Rest assured that the information you have provided has not gone unnoticed by us. LSF not only serves and makes a difference in the lives of those in our community, but we are also looking to enhance the lives of our employees. We are working diligently to improve processes and make things better for Case Managers. We are taking steps to provide staff with the proper tools to help them succeed at their jobs, move up within the organization, and maintain a work/life balance, all while fostering relationships with their team and Supervisors. Thank you again for your time and best of luck to you.

The pay is not worth the headache

The unprofessional, rude attitudes of some are draining. There is one supervisor who at first seems good but soon realize its not. Your training is paid but it prepares you for about half of what you really need to know. If you have a family or kid(s) expect to very rarely see them. The turnover is super high. On one team in particular there are entitlement issues. A couple case managers dont like to work too hard, so they will pawn their work off especially if it's a kid they dont want to deal with. There are not enough workers so people are very busy. Which leads me to the unrealistic expectations placed on case managers. Some have issues with lying. The one supervisor is pretty rude at times. Instead of dealing with a situation like an adult, the person would choose to act unprofessional. Even if they tell you you are hired for a set schedule they will have you work past it and when you say something you are on their bad side. The team work can be lacking. I kept hearing Lutheran was working to make things better for case managers but I'm not sure they truly care. On call is horrible most times. Court is like the Murray show or sometimes Jerry Springer. Instead of dealing with difficult teens they allow them to wonder around the office where they end up vandalizing, yelling, getting into fights, smoking, and Stealing. Cars are stealing. Why teens and even preteens are not in school and roam the office is a mystery to me.

Pros

Benefits, some case managers are kind.

Cons

Lack of training, management, unprofessionalism

January 31, 2019
Hello,Thank you for sharing your feedback. We want everyone to have an exceptional experience at Lutheran Services Florida. We are striving to be the best place for employees and we take all feedback for improvement seriously. Rest assured that the information you have provided has not gone unnoticed by us. LSF not only serves and makes a difference in the lives of those in our community, but we are also looking to enhance the lives of our employees as well. We are currently taking steps to provide Case Managers with the proper tools to help them succeed at their jobs, move up within the organization, and maintain a work/life balance, all while fostering relationships with their teams and Supervisors. Thank you again for your time and best of luck to you.

horrific management

This agency by far has the worst management of any agency I have ever dealt with or even heard of. The assistant program directors, two specifically take pride in being known as "the mean girls" and completely live up to that reputation. With the few hand picked individuals who receive special treatment from the APD's they could not possibly treat their employees any worse. They enjoy invoking fear in their staff rather than creating a supportive environment.

Cons

assistant program directors, Horrific management

December 6, 2018
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We want everyone to have an exceptional experience at Lutheran Services Florida. We are striving to be the best place for employees and we take all feedback for improvement seriously. Rest assured that the information you have provided has not gone unnoticed by us. LSF not only serves and makes a difference in the lives of those in our community, but we are also looking to enhance the lives of our employees. We are taking steps to provide staff with the proper tools to help them succeed at their jobs, move up within the organization, and maintain a work/life balance, all while fostering relationships with their teams and Supervisors. Thank you again for your time and best of luck to you.

Good experience

Lutheran Services was a business I was able to grow in my career and skills. The job was more social services based, but I was able to use my clinical skills in working with my clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lutheran Services Florida. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Lutheran Services Florida with

• Lutheran Services Florida
  • Largo, FL
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?