Lutheran Services in Iowa Employee Reviews

Haters will hate but this company is trying
Started at bottom (Current Employee) –  Waverly, IAAugust 16, 2018
The management tries to listen to make changes for the better but nobody wants to stand up and say what is not working when they get the chance because then there would be nothing to complain about. Those that truly want to advance with in Thier career and actually come to work to work can go very far with in this company. I have applied and gotten two promotions since I have been there. Like any where it has its bad apples but everyone gets what they deserve eventually. I just really enjoy the freedom to move around and with the size of the company there are always other opportunities available if you so choose to try them.
Pros
Unlimited hours, many opportunities, meaningful work
Cons
Low pay, long hours, you can get hit
Getting there
Youth Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waverly, IADecember 15, 2018
So many factors. Many dont really know the struggles and dont listen to management. Staffing is a real issue but the leadership does believe in the cause and values the staff.
Alot of great years of experience on the leadership team and the new roles are getting there.
Just because you dont agree doesnt mean you should not try and learn.
Leadership will turn this around.

New director got us raises
Pros
Pto, relationship, passion
Cons
Healthcare
Meaningful work.. but only to a point.
Youth Associate (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IANovember 29, 2018
Used to love my job at the Waverly campus. I worked in every building on every shift at least once. The place has gone downhill within the last 6 months. What kept me around was my team and my supervisor. The management on the campus itself is terrible. Everyone is held to different standards. The management in other areas are okay from what I observed. I was thanked by people from senior leadership for my work but never once thanked by the director of residential services before or after she received that promotion. The kids see that staff are in constant crisis no matter how hard you try to mask it which then puts them in crisis. When a whole team quits, you have to know something is wrong.
Pros
Most of the Program supervisors, most kids served, overtime is always available.
Cons
Director of residential services.
Terrible Management
Youth Associate (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAAugust 6, 2018
If you're looking to work a set amount of hours, receive reasonable compensation for the work you're providing for this company, have enough other employees to help with the work load, have a lunch break, have reinforcement and appreciation from management, be able to give constructive feedback to other staff and management, THIS IS NOT THE JOB FOR YOU.

A typical day working for LSI is 95% chance of being understaffed and meeting the licensing ratio requirement set by the state, and you probably were supposed to work 8 hours, but now you're stuck there for 10 hours (management does not care, especially if its after they are off the clock), thats just how it goes working here. You are expected to complete a ridiculous amount of paperwork and trainings on top of working with the clients directly during your shift.
Pros
As many hours as you want
Cons
Everything else
Terrible Terrible Place to Work
Youth Associate (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 11, 2018
I worked 6 days a week for 6 years. Never got time off and I had a lot of PTO time.. No raise for 6 Years.. Took tons of tests every month .Terrible Management
Cons
Terrible people to work for
Great place to start your human services career
Family,Safety,Risk,Permanency Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IASeptember 30, 2018
I began my human services career at LSI. I enjoy working with the families in supporting them in many ways. I enjoy working with the children I serve. The hardest part of this job is the amount of time spent away from my own family to serve other families. There is a lot of overtime in this job. There are a lot of nights and weekends spent on this job in addition to working during the daytime during the week. I did, however, learn a lot since I began this job; things that a college education could not have taught me, and for that I am grateful. The supervisors I work with are understanding, and willing to teach. My coworkers are great as well.
Pros
flexible work schedule, plenty of overtime
Cons
overtime due to not enough staff to complete the work
Long time employer.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAAugust 28, 2018
The company mission and the culture was positive. The work was meaningful. At times stressful. Never seemed to be enough staff to go around to cover shifts, make ratio.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
How many doubles have we had to work this week?
hostile work environment
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 18, 2018
was fired for not completing things that I was never trained to do, management blamed problems they caused on employees under them, required to do dangerous things such as moving heavy appliances that were not in job description
More hours than you can count and low pay
Case Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, IADecember 13, 2018
If you want to have a life outside of work this is not the place for you. You will be asked to work very long hours and travel more than your told. This is not a good job for a single parent or someone with small children. You will always be working.
Great Mission to serve and advocate for challenging youth
Pediatric Integrated Health (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 19, 2018
Wonderful and rewarding mission to serve youth with emotional/behavioral disorders to reach optimal outcomes with wraparound services. Staff is wonderful and dedicated to serving youth and families. Great people to work with on a daily basis. Eight service lines provide a positive and diverse work atmosphere. Challenging to work with managed care organizations in Iowa that create unnecessary barriers to providing needed services.
Pros
Great dedicated co-workers & leadership culture support
Cons
Managed Care Organizations make service delivery difficult and always changing.

Want to know more about Lutheran Services in Iowa?

Ask a question
Great clients
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IANovember 29, 2018
Poor management . Favoritism of staff. Lack of training. Loved the clients. Always working overtime. Not enough staff to cover emergencies. Management wasn’t helpful and main out of town management didn’t care.
Cons
Lack of training and poor management
Horrible horrible place to work.
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAAugust 20, 2018
This place is absolutely terrible. The upper management doesn't care about their staff and all they care about is themselves. Regret working here so much.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Upper management. Director of residential services. Pay. Paperwork.
Temporary job
Flood Recovery Advocate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 22, 2018
Flood recovery advocate short term job unless wanted to go to the next disaster or recovery site. Helping people is the focus and employee wages are not a priority
Pros
Excellent support staff
Cons
Wages and benefits
Terrible management, they don't care about employees at all
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAMarch 4, 2018
Poor management, they treat employees like garbage and there benefits are even worse, they pretend to have healthcare but it's a complete joke. The company only cares about taking in as many clients as they can no matter how short staffed we are.
Pros
Enjoy working with kids and a great floor staff team
Cons
Management, benefits (healthcare), Terrible pay!!!!!
Manager is a liar and doesn’t care!
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, IAAugust 4, 2018
Turn over here is terrible, because manager who should never be a manager doesn’t know how to manage. Will not get any support and will always have to work out of your area.
Pros
Cons
Terrible management
Good intentioned, well meaning staff. Overworked, and underpaid.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 13, 2018
Work is standard fare for a company of this nature. However, there is a definitive hierarchy. New employee's are assigned to difficult clients with such regularity as to become punishing. Working 60+ hours a week is almost certain, and even days off consist of getting calls from your manager to come in and cover shifts.
Pros
Highly supportive management, and very coherent training.
Cons
Little to no growth potential, overworked and underpaid for work that varies from minimal effort to extremely challenging.
Terrible company!
Site Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 24, 2018
This company is awful to work for. Employees are not compensated appropriately and are expected to work long and grueling hours without any support from upper management.
Cons
low pay, high stress, no support from upper management
Helpful staff, laid back atmosphere
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAAugust 2, 2018
The management at Lutheran Services was helpful and nurturing. I felt like I did not have enough resources to take the CEUs I needed to improve at my job,
Horrible experience
Youth Associate (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAFebruary 13, 2018
Horrible experience here. Management does not care about employees, no benefits, no time off, they do not work with your schedule. Often employees get injures and they do not give you time off. I got many injuries and head lice working here. Worst job of my life.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
no benefits, no respect for schedules or employees needs, hostile work environment
Save yourself
Site Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 31, 2018
managers pic faves, overwork you, lie to you in your interview. They act like they want your input, but put policies into effect so the SUPERVISORS don't have to work as much. constantly being blamed. Letting certain workers get away with stuff so they do not quit. But, god forbid you need a day off~
Pros
clients
Cons
everything else