Lutheran Services in Iowa Employee Reviews

2.9
Ratings breakdown
Terrible Management
Youth Associate (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAAugust 6, 2018
If you're looking to work a set amount of hours, receive reasonable compensation for the work you're providing for this company, have enough other employees to help with the work load, have a lunch break, have reinforcement and appreciation from management, be able to give constructive feedback to other staff and management, THIS IS NOT THE JOB FOR YOU.

A typical day working for LSI is 95% chance of being understaffed and meeting the licensing ratio requirement set by the state, and you probably were supposed to work 8 hours, but now you're stuck there for 10 hours (management does not care, especially if its after they are off the clock), thats just how it goes working here. You are expected to complete a ridiculous amount of paperwork and trainings on top of working with the clients directly during your shift.
Pros
As many hours as you want
Cons
Everything else
Manager is a liar and doesn’t care!
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, IAAugust 4, 2018
Turn over here is terrible, because manager who should never be a manager doesn’t know how to manage. Will not get any support and will always have to work out of your area.
Pros
Cons
Terrible management
Helpful staff, laid back atmosphere
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAAugust 2, 2018
The management at Lutheran Services was helpful and nurturing. I felt like I did not have enough resources to take the CEUs I needed to improve at my job,
Summary
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAJuly 31, 2018
Good place and good people. Just not much support and training. Kinda get thrown into the job. Money is not important to them and they are a non-profit which does make it hard to pay employees more but hard to live on the wages.
Terrible company!
Site Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAJuly 24, 2018
This company is awful to work for. Employees are not compensated appropriately and are expected to work long and grueling hours without any support from upper management.
Cons
low pay, high stress, no support from upper management
hostile work environment
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 18, 2018
was fired for not completing things that I was never trained to do, management blamed problems they caused on employees under them, required to do dangerous things such as moving heavy appliances that were not in job description
Horrible place
Youth care associate (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAJuly 16, 2018
After starting the job on day one I was already scared for working there thinking it was just stress continue to work there for another 3 days got so stressed I stopped eating I had to quit the job because I was scared for my own life working there work there not even a full week.
Passionate people dedicated to the mission
Director (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 5, 2018
Passionate people dedicated to the mission. Under resourced to do the work LSI is contracted to do. Have a intelligent retention plan to connects those wanting to fulfill the mission with meaningful work.
Great Mission to serve and advocate for challenging youth
Pediatric Integrated Health (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 19, 2018
Wonderful and rewarding mission to serve youth with emotional/behavioral disorders to reach optimal outcomes with wraparound services. Staff is wonderful and dedicated to serving youth and families. Great people to work with on a daily basis. Eight service lines provide a positive and diverse work atmosphere. Challenging to work with managed care organizations in Iowa that create unnecessary barriers to providing needed services.
Pros
Great dedicated co-workers & leadership culture support
Cons
Managed Care Organizations make service delivery difficult and always changing.
good place to work
Manager/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 15, 2018
I really enjoyed my job here. was sad that they sold the department. I was very passionate about this job. I enjoyed working with my field staff and the clientelle that we helped.
Job security -- because they can't afford to fire people
Youth associate (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAJune 1, 2018
This could be a satisfying job IF there was team work, support, and training. If those things were to happen then you could possibly make a difference in these kids lives instead of just being a holding spot until they mess up and end up in detention. You will get hit, kicked, punched, bit, and spit on and no matter how much you hurt you will be expected to continue working the floor. If you don't have any authority within you this is not the job for you. Higher ups have meetings on how to handle the clients however they do not always know who the client is by name. Nor will they help to put that plan into action. Have an assistance call and need help, keep waiting it may come.
Pros
You could call lack of supervisors a pro however that also means no support
Cons
No breaks, no support, no appreciation, lack of training
Terrible work enviroment
Lead youth associate (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAMay 29, 2018
Working here was like going to high school in your 20s, constant drama between staff. Staff were sometimes worse then the kids, telling kids about rumors and acting like their best friends. The only good community to work was the shelter due to it having great supervisors and lively staff that seemed to help everyone out but never got much help in return.. pay was bad and ideas to help better the place were simply ignored by higher ups. Most supervisors were not willing to help on their floor and wouldn't give recognition to people who helped out.. Don't work here it'll destroy your soul.
Pros
Woodhaven shelter.
Cons
Literally everything else.
Lsi
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAMay 21, 2018
worked here for a year, was not the job for me. management was not helpful, was thrown on call with no training. There was no support from the upper management.
Could be fun if they could staff properly.
Line staff (Current Employee) –  Waverly, IAApril 19, 2018
Constantly understaffed and you don't have any kind of chance for any life outside of work. They struggle to meet the licensing ratio requirements due to the fact that they underpay everyone on campus that isn't at the coordinator level or above. Supervisors are hit or miss as to whether they really do anything or not. If you are full time 40 hours per week you have to prepare to work on average about 60 hours per week.
Pros
Some really good supervisors.
Cons
No breaks, 14 hour workdays, understaffed and massively underpaid.
Good intentioned, well meaning staff. Overworked, and underpaid.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Ames, IAApril 13, 2018
Work is standard fare for a company of this nature. However, there is a definitive hierarchy. New employee's are assigned to difficult clients with such regularity as to become punishing. Working 60+ hours a week is almost certain, and even days off consist of getting calls from your manager to come in and cover shifts.
Pros
Highly supportive management, and very coherent training.
Cons
Little to no growth potential, overworked and underpaid for work that varies from minimal effort to extremely challenging.
Awful place to work.
Youth Associate (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAApril 3, 2018
Lack of training is provided. poor management. you're expected to basically know everything. Some people seem to be really happy in their cottage. guess i just got placed in the bad ones. hardly any training before you're thrown to the wolves then wrote up when you mess up once.
Job Summary
Executive Assistant / Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 22, 2018
I was the office manager and it was satisfying but two companies merged and several were laid off. I felt that this was a good company.
The work environment was very pleasant and the people were very wonderful to work with.
Great company, unreliable hours.
Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAMarch 7, 2018
The persons I've worked with have been great, but client cancellations often meant I did not reach 40 hours per week. Due to the needs of persons, they could contact me at all hours, resulting in blurred work and life balance.
Terrible management, they don't care about employees at all
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waverly, IAMarch 4, 2018
Poor management, they treat employees like garbage and there benefits are even worse, they pretend to have healthcare but it's a complete joke. The company only cares about taking in as many clients as they can no matter how short staffed we are.
Pros
Enjoy working with kids and a great floor staff team
Cons
Management, benefits (healthcare), Terrible pay!!!!!
Relaxed
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMarch 3, 2018
It will a great place for someone who love this type of work this will start your career off on the right pace. I would love to be here permanently..
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Many hours