Lutheran Social Services of Illinois Employee Reviews

Fast Paced and Stressful
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Canton, ILOctober 24, 2018
Lutheran Social Services is a very fast paced job. Your cases can be very stressful and it is hard to have a divide between work and home at times. Very good job to gain experience right outside of college.
very supportive
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nachusa, ILOctober 22, 2018
The work environment was extremely supportive. While there are times of stress, the managers do an amazing job of supporting the caseworkers. I enjoyed working here.
great place
Lead Case Manager-CADC (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2018
best agency I ever worked for. wish I was still there. They take care of their employees. Benefits are great. relaxed atmosphere and casual dress. all staff very professional
Pros
salery
Cons
need to know someone
Provided respite care to multiple ethnic groups
AmeriCorps Respite Worker (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILOctober 14, 2018
Productive and rewarding workplace for helping others. .Assistance with effective planning and organization skills. Management took the time to answer questions.
Pros
Stipend
Cons
Low pay
nothing
Home Health Aide/Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILOctober 13, 2018
I liked working with some of the staff I enjoyed the office work I did. The upper management was not always telling the truth to the staff they always went behind your back. The overall rate I learned many things from working at LSSI.
I enjoyed this job
Home Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 7, 2018
I got really close and developed a great relationship with my clients that i was caring for. This was a very emotional job and it takes a person with a big heart to work this job.
Poor Management, no communication, violation of employee rights
Intact Preservation Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  MarionAugust 25, 2018
This agency does not care about the worker as a human being.
Management at all levels is incompetent, lacks any kind of accountability, and disrespectful.
It is truly disorganized, unsupportive, and hostile work environment.
Management does not do their jobs and does not ensure employees are paid. This directly impacts families served.
Pros
None, every positive was a lie
Great place
Intact Child Welfare Casemanager (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILAugust 22, 2018
Good people to work for. Supportive and helpful. Good management team. Social Work is a wild ride and they have a lot of fun doing it and make the best of it.
Lack of support
Child Welfare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Marion, ILAugust 14, 2018
There is no support from your supervisors. They would rather throw you under the bus than to support you. There are no raises offered in this job and no recognition for a job well done.
Pros
Children
the management was terrible
Specialized Care Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILAugust 12, 2018
LSSI left kids in terrible foster home simply because they did not have another home and did not want to give them to another agency because they would loose money.
fun work place
Case Aide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2018
greet the clients assisted the clients when needed. complete correct documents into Database system pick up and drop off clients to and from detox cleaning and organize the center
Cons
30 minute break
Good entry level job but no oportunities to grow
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 6, 2018
Working here is a good way to start getting experience in the mental health field (someone who just graduated and needs experience). However, the job is HIGHLY stressful and the pay is way below average. There's never an opportunity for a raise. You might get a $1k more a year if you acquire a license. So if you started at $34k then your raise is gonna be $35k a year (that's what a fully licensed Counselor earns here, nothing more than $40k). Very slim opportunities to acquire a higher position. There are some people that have worked here for over 7 years and has stayed in the same position with the same salary!!!!!! However, staff is nice. What it's good it's the PTO benefits since they give over 20 days per year depending on your position. Overall, good way to earn experience in the field.
Pros
Paid time off, medical insurance
Cons
Stressful, low pay, no opportunities to grow
Incompetent bosses, low pay, lying management
CNA (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJuly 30, 2018
I was at the Joliet location and I will NEVER recommend anyone to work for them. The managers are liars and incompetent. They don’t care about their staff or residents, they make the staff lie to the State, they overwork the staff, they only accommodate to the ones they feel like accommodating to, they are all lazy.
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Incompetent and lying managers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Villa Park, ILJuly 28, 2018
I had the best experience working at Lutheran Social Services. I would recommend it to everyone. Great management.An organization with a heart to really help people. Great atmosphere, and teamwork excellent.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sterling, ILJuly 27, 2018
Tend to daily needs of 8 individuals with disabilities. Take clients to their appointments, Make sure meds were administered. Schedule staff, payroll, monthly reports, conduct staff training,
Pros
Help clients in needs, satisfaction of others
Cons
Dealing with staff
Does not pay well for the amount of work you do
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2018
Lutheran Social Service pays very poorly and you are expected to do the job of 3 people. Everyone is unhappy and is trying to figure out how to leave. They cannot keep staff due to how the organization has been ran over the years. LSSi is a constant revolving door. Very poor communication. There is no diversity. The never own mistakes or apologize to you for the mistakes they make. Not a great place to work at all.
Pros
They will never fire you because they do not want to pay unemployment.
Cons
Management, poor communication and revolving door
A good but tough job
Child welfare specialist (Current Employee) –  Nachusa, ILJuly 12, 2018
If this is your first job in social work you may want to try something else first. This is a serious job with high turnover, furthermore there is not nearly enough money to compensate the amount of work that needs to be done. That being said the organization builds a great team and culture and the experience is rewarding. I currently work here an enjoy my time and have learned a lot. This job keeps you on your toes.
Pros
Time off benefits, trainings, baked goods
Cons
multiple deadline, distance driving
Wonderful agency to work for
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILJune 28, 2018
Lutheran Social Services is a wonderful agency to work for. They truly help serve those who are in need. I would recommend this agency to anyone. I am blessed to have found this agency.
It was an ok environment
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 20, 2018
We had our complications but overall it was a descent organization to work for they did their jobs but it took awhile to see results at times. Communication wasn't the best there were a few times where we were out of the loop on different things regarding the kids and visits with their mom and doctors appointments but overall I wouldn't totally dispute their services
Nice and understanding
File Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 19, 2018
Working for Lutheran Social Services is a very good experience and I do not plan on leaving any time soon, but I do need another job to help with the cost of living and I also enjoy the people I work with they are very nice and kind and always willing to help.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight