Lutheran Social Services of Illinois Employee Reviews

Wonderful agency to work for
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILJune 28, 2018
Lutheran Social Services is a wonderful agency to work for. They truly help serve those who are in need. I would recommend this agency to anyone. I am blessed to have found this agency.
It was an ok environment
Foster Parent (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 20, 2018
We had our complications but overall it was a descent organization to work for they did their jobs but it took awhile to see results at times. Communication wasn't the best there were a few times where we were out of the loop on different things regarding the kids and visits with their mom and doctors appointments but overall I wouldn't totally dispute their services
Nice and understanding
File Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 19, 2018
Working for Lutheran Social Services is a very good experience and I do not plan on leaving any time soon, but I do need another job to help with the cost of living and I also enjoy the people I work with they are very nice and kind and always willing to help.
A good solid company
Social Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILJune 6, 2018
The management was very poor but I liked my coworkers and what I did at the company. The benefits were very good and collaboration with the community was important to the company.
Supportive at the supervisor level
Child Welfare Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Canton, ILJune 4, 2018
There is no typical work day in child welfare. Each office in LSSI is run differently based on the supervisor for that office. Supervisors in general are supportive of their workers; however, upper management is not always supportive of the supervisors.
Not the best place to work
Parent Child Psychotherapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 29, 2018
I did not enjoy my position here. It was very fast paced, stressful, and management was all over the place. The turnover rate was extremely high so caseworkers, managers, and others were constantly quitting. This made it difficult to do the work needed for my clients. In the end, I ended up leaving as well because I just was not happy there and did not feel that the clients were having there needs met.
Pros
Lunch, Peers, Clients
Cons
Management, High Turnover, Poor Pay
Educational
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 26, 2018
Very fun place to rk. Enjoyed co-workers and upper management. The location is far but worth the drive when you work wit loving people. Upper management encourage growth and development.
Enjoy working for Lutheran
Case/Aide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 11, 2018
I enjoy working for Lutheran. It is diverse and staff is respectable and learning opportunity is great. I will recommend to all people and family. I want to retire from this organization.
Horrible place to work
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILApril 21, 2018
The expectations for amount of hours you work are ridiculous. They expect you to take your work home even on weekends and work when you are sick. Management lies and treats you like garbage. Watch your back!
Cons
Billing,census, meeting with residents and family
Facility Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Park Ridge, ILApril 1, 2018
I did my daily sties and also I had to train my boss the manager of the business office because he had no knowledge how to bill or collect money from medicare or medicaid. I had to teach him how to process payroll and I couldn't have his job because I did not have a college degree so he got the salary and the perks and I did his job and also mine. I resigned so I could advance, get better pay and get knowledged for my collections and billing skills.
Pros
26 Vacation days a year
Cons
Management was educated but not in the SNF field they were clueless
They're Okay
Child Welfare Specialist/Placement (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILApril 1, 2018
Foster care is a very difficult job, and I was working out of the city, which was 3 hour commute. This is not the agency's fault, but my experience there was not the best.
Too Stressful
CHILD WELFARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2018
The turn over rate is very high you spend more time transporting children and supervising visits. Court is brutal the attorneys jump on you as if you don't know what you are doing, the paperwork is unyielding.The way they track your hours is unfair because you can't account for unexpected event which happen more often than you think.
not caring
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Nachtman Draw, WYMarch 7, 2018
The management will not take time out to hear foster parent concerns. They care about their job, not the children!!! Many employees quit after 2-3 months on the job. It saddens me to have such workers in a place that needs to be very loving.
Relax
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILFebruary 20, 2018
It was relax job we would have a fast weeks and we had slow week where we would work on projects or we would do maintenance on thing we had to move or file away
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
No bonus
No support-hard work-fostercare and domestic violence clients.
Therapist-PAIP-Domestic Violence (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 5, 2018
Lutheran was a mess and always in crisis mode. It stems from operational management and job duties and clientele are tough enough -given no support and terminated by company.
Pros
Good Domestic Violence Program.
Cons
Management and support-no clerical or medical records.
Disheartening
Administrative Assistant/Case Worker Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 29, 2018
Although I thoroughly enjoyed working for this organization there was a negative energy within the work environment. Dealing with children who have been mistreated by parents warrants a compassionate and patient culture within the workplace but this company lacked that quality.
Lutheran Social Services is a great employer
Family Liaison (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 23, 2017
It is always a pleasant atmosphere at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois. I learned how to calm down here. I was taught meditation and relaxation techniques. I will always be grateful for that.
Pros
Free lunches, flex time
Cons
Low salary
great place to work
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILDecember 7, 2017
I loved working at LSSI. I felt very well supported and I was able to do my job well due to great management and understanding of social work. I always benefited from the teamwork aspect of this office and agency.
Hands on learning
HOME HEALTH AIDE II (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILDecember 4, 2017
Over the years I was able to practice and learn techniques that assisted in establishing and developing great care to others. The company provided training that was useful.
Allowed room for Growth
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Niles, ILNovember 21, 2017
A quite and a productive day ready to service the patients with the right tool they need. Ensure safety of each client daily, Check and ensure all medical needs were met

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lutheran Social Services of Illinois. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.1

1.6Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

1.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight