Lutheran Social Services Employee Reviews

Great working enjoinment
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAAugust 28, 2017
I have learned about the many cultures, case management and other elated core services according to the R&P that needs to be provided for the new refugees who enters the United State.
Pros
Good working enjoinment
Cons
less benefits
management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 27, 2017
LSSI is a great company to work for. Upper management takes into consideration your family life and your professional life. Everyone that works there is considered family and treated that way.
Pros
Early off time on Friday
Cons
Social work does not pay well.
I loved working at the lutheran home the best place I ever work
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILAugust 27, 2017
The lutheran home was a great place to work every one was very kind to me they treat the patient the best I have ever seen working in the healthcare field
Pros
Best in everything
Cons
Offering more higher opportunities
review
Direct care staff (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIAugust 25, 2017
LSSM while the consumers that I worked with were great the compensation for what we did was very low I did really enjoy the job not for the pay but for the consumers I got to know and care for
Pros
consumers
Cons
pay and lack of benefits
Working at Lutheran Social Service
Executive Assistant / Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 22, 2017
My job at Lutheran Social Service was interesting and challenging. I was displaced due to a merging of companies. I would say that it was enjoyable and the benefits were good. I liked working for them but I prefer a bigger company now.
Pros
Work environment, benefits
Cons
Smaller environment
I worked in the summer camp program is was a wonderful experience.
Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 21, 2017
Excellent place for a family to receive support services to improve their quality of life. THe employees worked together as a team to ensure that the clients received a safe and wonderful camp activities.
Energetic atmoshpere
Direct Support Provider (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIAugust 21, 2017
Each day was started with a shift change report that everything that occurred on the previous shift. While working a shift residents would come to the staff with any concerns they had and could ask for help if they needed anything. Daily groups were led to help clients with any problems. The hardest part about the job was that management did not treat each employee fairly when it came to shift work. The most enjoyable parts about the job was the company of the clients and being able to take them out on outings.
quite but challenging workplace environment
Licensed Professional Counselor (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEAugust 17, 2017
I not only saw clients on a daily basis, but I was solely responsible for referral development. This meant travelling across NE. meeting with potential referral sources.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
lonely job; unsupportive management
Employees have a good heart, work hard
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento County, CAAugust 14, 2017
Outside influences have created a bit of chaos and a lot off stress. No homelessness in 10 years, Step Up Sacramento, etc....

Unrealistic, too invasive - we had much, much better positive results before HUD adopted the Rapid Rehousing model, etc...

Yuk
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Outside influences - Mayor and programs...unrealistic
Friendly staff and management, feelings of contributing to good causes.
Transcriptionist typing through dictation medical (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 11, 2017
Staff was very nice to work for. Company provided assistance with those in need with many programs and went out of their way with their budget to do so and they are to be commended for being a good non-profit.
Challenging but Rewarding
Designated Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Adams, MNAugust 8, 2017
Challenging but rewarding work environment helping others obtain a fulfilled life. Hardest part of job is the limitations still in the environment for people with special needs.
The most rewarding is the smiles on the faces of those whose lives you have touched!
Pros
making a difference in the lives of others
Cons
adequate staffing
Face paced career
Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wittenberg, WIAugust 8, 2017
Long hours, difficult residents, strong coworkers. Lots of training available and required. Strong leadership. This is a high stress position with a lot of responsibilities.
Cons
working and living your values
Employee (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNAugust 7, 2017
Most employees (at least those on the administrative end) work for LSS because of their passion to feel like they are making a difference. All employees have more work than can ever be accomplished which leaves a lot of employees frustrated and unfulfilled.
Pros
living out faith and work combined
Cons
Poor job descriptions
a great place to work for if retired, or interested in a career in social work, nursing or cna.
Personal Care Service Provider (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHAugust 6, 2017
paid lunches and paid transportation for consumers. Promotions and feedback from consumers regarding work etiquette in the field. employee match in 403b 401k, and other offered plans.
hi
Assist residents (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNAugust 6, 2017
It was an ok place to get your foot in the door if you want to go into healthcare. The biggest problem is that the pay isn't the best since it paid on average 10-12 dollars an hour.
Great agency to work for if you have a passion for people. Goal was to reunite children with their parents.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 4, 2017
As a receptionist, I greeted all incoming clients or other individuals from the community. I maintained the reception area, keeping it tidy. Responsible for answering a 12 line phone and directing/transferring to appropriate staff, voice mail or taking a hard copy message. I processed all DCFS required paperwork, completed data entry and did filing for 8 Caseworkers.
Pros
I loved working with people. As a part-time employee I still acrued sick & vacation days.
Cons
Budget did not allow for annual raises, ultimately I lost my job due to restructuring.
lonely
Licensed Professional Counselor (Former Employee) –  Kearney, NEAugust 3, 2017
Expectations were ridiciously high. I was expected to build a client base from the ground up in very little time. Management left me alone to manage the building with little to no support.
Pros
autonomous
Cons
lonely
Shelter for Boys
Assistance Manager Group Home (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 1, 2017
This was a place for boys only,who had a bad behavior problems. Instead of jail they stayed there when they wouldn't be able to stay at parents home.
Pros
Teaching them how to control their behavior, making sure they are in school, providing information for jobs and job training.
Cons
Seeing the change in a young person life, the improvement to go home and live a healthy life with their parents.
Fast pace and several assigned task
Director of Family Foster Care (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2017
There is constant turnover in regard to foster care supervisors, most supervisors does not successfully pass selection period. Therefore there is a lot of stress on the Program Directors.
Pros
Room for growth
Cons
Not strength base
great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 27, 2017
The is a great place to work, where staff are committed to bettering the lives of others and families. They care about the children and making a difference in their lives.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lutheran Social Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

2.5Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight