Lyft Employee Reviews

Found 2,116 reviews matching the search See all 2,123 reviews
Featured review
Lyft selected this as a representative review
There's no real boss, besides corporate and yourself.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 7, 2018
Driving for Lyft is pretty neat. You get to drive whenever you want to, stop whenever you want to, you have the ability to receive bonuses, and you're able to rent a car from them if you don't want to use your own.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
More wear and tear on your car.
No Company Loyalty
Transportation (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 23, 2019
The company has a unlimited amount of independent contractors making it very difficult to get constant driving assignments to keep you steadily busy. Too much down time in between each completed job.
Pros
Work your own schedule
Cons
Too much competition and not enough jobs to keep each person busy.
better than uber
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  CTApril 23, 2019
better treatment then their main competitor and better pay but still not adequate to live on. if the pay was better i would not be looking for new opportunities also like uber the pay has scaled down per ride. its a good company that needs to pay better in the area i work and live
Pros
nice and flexible
Cons
pay
Toll issues
Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 23, 2019
They charged me and not the customers for the tolls and they had a issue with the tolls and the money got backed up 4 months and now that's coming out my earnings and that's not my mistake it's Lyft. There's a lot of charges going on when you are renting a car from Lyft basically they screwing us Lyft drivers that rent from them any way they can. And I work my butt off trying to have money for me after I pay my car rental and they find a way to take that. I would NOT RECOMMEND RENTING FROM LYFT....
Cons
Lots of tolls you have to pay for and less money for you by time you pay your rental.
Driver concern
Driver (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 23, 2019
Had a customer get sick in my car. And they made me jump through hoops just to get $100 fee. And when I submitted the receipt that they required which was ridiculous because it was a new business, they didn't think it was real. They showed more concern for the Riders than their drivers
Pros
Money is decent
Cons
More concerned for the writer than the driver. Little concern for the driver's personal vehicle.
You are your own boss! What more can you ask for ??
Lyft Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 22, 2019
**big tip** make sure you calculate your taxes out for tax season when you fill out your 1099!!! Or you will owe big time! Every time you finish a day of work put aside 10% of what you made just to be safe.
Pros
Flexible hours, great customers, great tips!!
Cons
Car maintenance
Lyft Driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 22, 2019
Very stressful as customers can be horribly rude and inconsiderate riders, police were very negative when you got to the nfl and mlb ballparks rude and inconsiderate.
Flexible way to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 22, 2019
The job is flexible, but in this area had to work several hours just to cover daily travel expenses. At times travel for pickup was large distance to pickup clients for short trips. Demand in area was hard to gauge. Large number of people competing for same fares. Both Lyft and Uber drivers. Compensation for fares seemed very low.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low pay and low demand
Great Job!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 22, 2019
Pay is kind of lower than Uber other than that there have been great customers most are extremely friendly. I like the app although there could be some improvement on pay cash out I don't think there should be a 5.50 minimum I wish it was more like Uber however we need more Lyft riders in the city. Easy money and love working during the day its a good way to meet people.
Pros
Great Ap, Nice Perks, Friendly Riders
Cons
Navigation is not always right, Pay Threshold should be less, Not consistent on rides
Made my own schedule
Lyft Driver/ Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDApril 22, 2019
Assist mentally challenge patrons to doctor appointmens,take elderly and senior citizens to various location all in a safe manner courteous to all clients
Pros
Work at your own pace
Cons
Weather could sometimes be tricky
Self Employed Mindset
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 22, 2019
Lyft is a little different from your 9 to 5. Employee vs self employed. I think the founders created something unique. A typical day as a driver can be stressing but for the most part really easy. Throughout the 3 years as a driver for Lyft I think the most important thing it has taught me is what I really want to do for a living. And that is to be self-employed but in a different ball field. That ball field is IT. I have two certifications in IT. Basic. But anyway culture in Lyft is the one of the best culture I've ever experience with a job. There's a culture of promptness, convenience, respect,exciting, and uniqueness. All bundle up in one job. Most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and learning different things about my reality and theirs. Lyft gives you the opportunity to work at the pace you want and the schedule you need. Convenience at its finest. So far. But all in all Lyft has been a great experience so far and has taught me to have a self employed mindset to invest into myself.
All good.
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 22, 2019
Love driving for lyft. This allowes me to work at my own schedule and spend more time with my loved ones.
I Would not change it for anything. But would love to get health care.
Pros
Flexible tines
Cons
Drunk people.
Love driving
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 21, 2019
Working for Lyft is fun and very helpful, I can work the hours/days I want to. I can drive up to 13 hours a day. I meet many different personalities people and stories. Plus I get to drive.
Pros
Own boss
Cons
Putting in the work, no 2 days are the same.
no money
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 21, 2019
market us way over saturated. to many peoole doin it you cant make any real money with out messing uo your car or getting a note its crazy. not a real job
ride share
Rideshare Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 21, 2019
this is self employment no benefits is a good way to supplement your income or to hold you over in between jobs but not a career I do enjoy being my own boss
Costs are too much
Sub-contractor Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 20, 2019
Good for season til you find something better. Pro/cons there benefits are discounts and they don’t take out any taxes out. You pay all operating costs, fuel, service, tires and of course your vehicle.
Pros
Work schedule
Cons
Taxes, fuel, all operating costs, wear on your vehicle(40to50 thousand miles per year.
Fine if you have nothing else.
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Arizona.April 20, 2019
The job is fine, wouldn't want to do it forever but fine for some quick cash when you have nothing else going on. Need to fix the GPD though, it has a lot of issues.
Great
Lyft driver (Current Employee) –  IllinoisApril 20, 2019
Lyft is a good job ti be. It has so many offers and you work when you want to work. Its very relaxing and just great. I don't want to resign but i need something from this.
Pros
Money
Cons
Crazy customers
It is a scam
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 20, 2019
All that you do is sit around waiting for rides and then when you finally get one unless you are taking them all the way across town you make less than $10 per ride. My average fare is between $3.88 and $7. Every once in a while I might get lucky and get a $15 or $20 ride. After looking at the pay breakdown, you will realize that Lyft takes anywhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of the money and they call it a platform and service fee. Don't expect to make this into a career. Also nobody tips. About one out of every ten customers will give you a tip. I ended up going back to driving an actual taxi cab because at least with it when you put in 8 hours per day you can make a living. Too much wear and tear on my personal vehicle and when you are paying for all of the maintenance and your own gas you end up making Lyft more money than you make for yourself.
Pros
Drive on your time
Cons
Poor pay, horrible wait times, make more $ for Lyft then for yourself
no customer service
driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 19, 2019
I rented a car through Lyft and I was charged weekly but when the car needed oil change no one was offering any help
worked 50hr just to make $900 if u deduct rental fee $254 a week and gas I surely worked for $400 a week and I have to pay taxes on that same amount at the end of the year
Pros
you work when you want
Cons
working below minimum wage, no customer service, rental program is a scum. they taking advantage of poor people to become more rick
Great
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 19, 2019
Allowing time the freedom and time to pursue all that I desire to pursue. Meeting new people and places. Great in my time as a creative. Photographer, artist.
Pros
Great on time
Cons
Consistency

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lyft. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Lyft.

Powered by Comparably