Lyft Employee Reviews

Found 1,823 reviews matching the search See all 1,827 reviews
Gets you out and about meeting New people
Driver (Current Employee) –  Howell/Brighton MIJanuary 17, 2019
Lyft isn't a bad thing. But, too many drivers (competition). Not enough passengers. The compensation is weak. The company gets more pay than the drivers, yet the drivers are the ones doing the work. App doesn't work all the time, and the maps are often off by quite a bit. Also, the app only tells you where to pick up...but... Doesn't let you know where your going until you have the passenger and your on your way. We should have a choice in the matter. Some people doesnt feel safe going into CERTAIN uncharted territories. The company should fix it to where you can choose to take by knowing in advance pick up and drop off zones.
Pros
Meet great and fun people. Gets you out of the house
Cons
Wear and tear on vehicle with NO compensation. And you only get paid from point A to point B. So, minimum money for ALOT of driving.
Gets you out and about meeting New people
Driver (Current Employee) –  Howell/Brighton MIJanuary 17, 2019
Pros
Meet great and fun people. Gets you out of the house
Cons
Great side job , not for full time
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 18, 2018
They take advantage of new drivers letting them think that they actually give lots of bonuses, once you've been driving for the for an amount of time there are very rarely cases of primetime, no cases of guaranteed pay , less rides. not enough pay to cover the costs of living and costs of maintenance of your car. I went into it as a temporary job so that I could attend a vocational program at the same time. Pretty much ended up trashing my vehicle (130K miles on my car now) and now I'm pretty much flat broke. Finished my program though. Now I'm trying to get into the HVAC field with no responses to my applications
Pros
flexible, work when you want
Cons
not enough compensation
Needs some improvement
Driver (Current Employee) –  Orange, CADecember 27, 2018
Lyft platform is great for the customers but not so much for the employees working for them. When you're a Lyft driver they consider you a private contractor and you only get paid a percentage of the fare upon completion. You do not get paid to travel to the customers which can be far away and you can get stuck in traffic with a customer for a really long time and have little to no compensation for your time. I think Lyft needs to improve there wages for there drivers or soon more drivers like myself are going to ask themselves why am I working all these hours and destroying my car in the process for wages that a person cannot survive on.
Pros
make own hours
Cons
poor pay
It was good at first
Independent Contractor/Driver (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 10, 2019
At first, Lyft was a good thing. We as independent contractors received 75% of the ride money. Then they modified the contract to a rate of miles and time. This was a big pay cut. Then they took money away from the original deducting more money from the rate per mile. I went from making just over 50k my first year, to just under 40k my second year. I ended up driving for more hours a day and more days a week to hit goals. By the time that I am writing this, I am no longer making $20+ hours an hour, I am now making just about $9.50 and hour after expenses.
Pros
my own schedule
Cons
no benefits, saturated market, constant changes in contracts with no option to negotiate.
fun, slow paced, interesting, no advancement
Driver (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 29, 2018
keep all your receipts and mileage for tax write offs
people skills come in handy
different personalities make the job fun
don't mind the grumpy people
not paid for waiting for rides or for driving to pick up passengers
not paid for gas
only paid for mileage, not for time
if passenger wants to do multiple stops ex: cvs, del taco and you spend 15 minutes waiting you are NOT paid.
no benefits
no sick time/vacation
overrall easy and fun job
lyft has great customer service
Pros
easy, fun
Cons
no benefits, safety, no advancement
I loved working for lyft
Driver (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 11, 2018
I lived in Kalamazoo Michigan, I would make around $120 a day. I worked 6-7 hours depending on the day. The only thing that sucks with lyft is you don’t really get benefits. You’re your own boss. I loved meeting new people and I gave over 1000 rides. They called it the 1k club. It was awesome. It’s just a job you have to be patient with. The down side is that you’re your own boss so you make your own hours... which sometimes I would just not “go” to work. Lyft is usually really responsive but they started delaying my cash out payments which made me really upset so I stopped driving for them and moved back home.
Pros
Meeting all kinds of people
Cons
Mileage
I enjoy working with the various people I come in contact with.
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 23, 2018
The day starts out operating the Lyft app as I drive throughout Houston picking up passengers and taking them to their destinations in a safe and timely manner. Traffic can be challenging. The Google maps can send you to the wrong location occasionally. I absolutely enjoy the various kinds of people I encounter on a day to day basis.
Pros
You can make your own schedule.
Cons
I would like a full time position with benefits and for promotions.
Lyft is a Super Pimp
Struggling Actress (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 20, 2018
I've been driving for Lyft for 6 months now in Washington, DC. Let me say that they are pimps. I have confirmed over 25+ occasions after dropping off my passengers the amount they were charged and it is always 30-60% MORE than what I got paid. Example app says I got $6.22 for ride, I then ask the rider how much they were charged: $11.88. WHY ARE THEY TAKING ALMOST 50% OF MY MONEY?!?!?! They provide 0 Benefits. No Health Care, Stocks, 401, Maternity/Sick Leave, Vacation, Pension, NOTHING!!! The Only Thing they offer is the APP. We are basically being rap*d & taken advantage of because they know that drivers are either in a financial bind aka out of work or can't work a regular job, or something to that extent. I can't wait for someone to come up with an app where you can keep 100% of your money and paid a monthly fee or even 10% per ride instead of RIP OFF's like Lyft who Take Half Your Money!!! They are a HORRIBLE Company and most of these reviews are FAKE! People Stop Lying and giving them 3.5/4 Stars.
Pros
Work at your own schedule, Meet interesting people (sometimes)
Cons
No Benefits, They take 30-60% Off Your Income
A Lesson For Lyft Drivers.
Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNSeptember 3, 2018
WHY WOULD I RIDE OR DRIVE FOR LYFT???
It's sad that you never learn until something happen. I enjoyed driving for Lyft until I learnt the truth about their Insurance policy. Most of us work for Lyft to make life affordable, but no one expects their Insurance to take over three weeks without any compensation and also charge you $2,500 for deductible. How many miles do you drive before you can actually achieve that deductible? The closest person to me is going through this right now and bills never wait. He has spent over $1,375 on rental cars since he had an accident while driving for Lyft about four weeks ago. I may not agree with some of their policies, but the morals of their insurance policy is just evil. I love Lyft because it makes movement easier, but as a driver they will turn you down when you need them most. Today its my turn, but tomorrow it might be you!
Stop Crying
Driver (Current Employee) –  Westchester County, NYNovember 17, 2018
I have been driving for LYFT for a week now ... this is my second job ,,, it SUPPLEMENTS my income for my current job .. which also pays well but I just want more. I live in the Westchester County New York and I have absolutely no complaints about this company ... I dont know why the heck all of you people are on here crying ... I have accumulated over $1000.00 in less than a week doing 45 rides and my work week isnt even over yet... Mind you I work a 40 hour job and am able to work 4-5 hours after my Full time job and enjoy meeting the different passengers who all concur that UBER is a terrible company and have had nothing but praise for Lyft drivers.. during our Debacle in which the Snow storm which turned highways and streets into parking lots was a great benefit to drivers in the tri state area in which prime time was a Staggering 300%!!!!!!!!!!! Complaining about putting miles on your car .. no one forced you to sign up for this... as a driver of your own car you know what your getting into .. JUST QUIT and get a job at WALMART ! I love my second job .. and by being my own boss its about to be a really good holiday ! New york pays 86cents a mile foa normal car and up to $1.23 for XL and Luxury vehicles ... Cry me a river ... Thanks Uber!
Pros
Meeting Great People, Great Pay, Reasonable Bonuses
Cons
None!
Great if you have a lot of free time
Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 6, 2018
This is a great job to check out if you have a lot of free time and have a car. This is a really easy job but all you really do is drive people to their destination. Since I believe that there is no promotions or anything like that, the job can get pretty repetitive and boring, but you gotta do whatever you can to get that extra cash.
Pros
Flexible hours, Some benefits
Cons
Competition, Waste of Gas
A General Day
Rideshare Driver (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 19, 2018
Lyft is a fairly relaxed job that works better as a side gig than it does a primary one. I've heard often you can make a solid amount of pay with constant work - however, this comes at the cost of your car and so cost / gain benefits should be considered there. Depending on the area however, it provides great 'on the go' or emergency money and is an excellent part-time pursuit.
Pros
Great for Part time, flexible scheduling
Cons
damage to car is a possibility.
Rideshare Driver (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 26, 2018
The job is pretty self explanatory. It's not hard. You have to put in a lot of hours to make a nice salary. On the road, there are a lot of variables.
Pros
Create your own hours
Cons
No healthcare, no advancement, work long hours
Be your own boss, meet interesting people
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Inland Empire, CANovember 30, 2018
This is a nice gig to earn a little money. You can drive as much or as little as you want, and usually come home with more than you spent on gas. This is a fun job for me because driving people around is something that I am good at, and the people that I pick up are always friendly and interesting.
Pros
Work whatever hours you want
Cons
No benefits
Lose money driving
Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 12, 2018
I am actually in the negative for business profit, by $30.00. I have profited 1145.00, but have spent 1176.00, for gas, cleaning, oil changes etc. So I am in the negative for profit. My car is being destroyed and no good to ask for repair compensation. I feel the drivers are getting gypped and Lyft is pocketing millions of dollars while drivers are LOSING!
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Low pay, in the negative for profit, car is being tore up, hardly ever receive tips.
Horrible
Lyft Driver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 21, 2018
If you get in a car accident.. they will not help you worth a dime. EVEN WHEN THE ACCIDENT WASN'T YOUR FAULT. Very disorganized. No selection when it came to picking a car. When you try to switch. Nothing was ever available. Then when I was forced to switch cars they gave me one with 10 mpg less than my previous car. Costing me an extra $100 per week on gas with NO COMPENSATION FROM LYFT. 0/10 WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE.
A typical day
Uber Driver (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2018
you never know what kind of day you will get. Even on a 6-8 hour shift, in San Diego, you may get anywhere from zero request to 10 request or more, compared to Uber where it is much busier. Lyft is also not a leader in the rideshare industry as they tend to follow Uber's footsteps in lowering rates when Uber does and copying services provided like shared rides.
Pros
quick money. ability to cash out on a daily basis.
Cons
no benefits, low rates
Lyft
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake, UTJanuary 14, 2019
Lyft was a great way to make extra money on the side. I would not call it a full-time gig you can be satisfied with as far as compensation goes for the amount of time and gas and wear and tear on your vehicle. Working for lyft you get to meet a lot of great people and have some great conversations and experiences
Excellent for more populated areas
Driver (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJune 28, 2018
Lyft is a fantastic ride-share service with plenty to recommend it, including better treatment of drivers and customers and more flexibility in the services it provides. However, in less populated areas or areas where less of the population is likely to use ride-shares, it can be pretty hit or miss as far as hourly pay goes. I definitely would recommend it as a job based on the flexibility of hours and overall average pay, provided one were to work in a conducive area for the service.
Pros
Flexible hours, easy to start and stop working, personalized work environment
Cons
Cost of gas and car repair can be high, salary can be dependent on area worked

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lyft. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight