Lyft Employee Reviews

Found 1,527 reviews matching the search See all 1,531 reviews
Own Boss
Driver (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CASeptember 20, 2018
Remembered to keep car clean
Manage time and profit
Kept vehicle maintained properly, clean, frequent washes, registered, inspected, fueled and insured
Pros
Tips
great way to make extra cash
Amature Chauffeur (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 20, 2018
I love working for lyft. I work when I want and stop working when I want. I get paid every day I do work. when you own your own vehicle dealing with management is nonexistent unless you reach out and then they will get right back to you. I get no experience so many different people, and most all my encounters a great and stress-free. the lyft rider community is great, regardless of the neighborhood.
Pros
easy quick money
A typical day
Uber Driver (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2018
you never know what kind of day you will get. Even on a 6-8 hour shift, in San Diego, you may get anywhere from zero request to 10 request or more, compared to Uber where it is much busier. Lyft is also not a leader in the rideshare industry as they tend to follow Uber's footsteps in lowering rates when Uber does and copying services provided like shared rides.
Pros
quick money. ability to cash out on a daily basis.
Cons
no benefits, low rates
Express ride rental expect to starve
Driver (Current Employee) –  San DiegoSeptember 19, 2018
At $233/week or close to a $1,000 a month, its impossible to feed yourself and put gas in your car, ironic huh. Many times ill drive for 15min to make $3, $6 for 30min, and shared rides are the worst. Great for customers awful for drivers. Last week i made $30 after rental and this week $40. This isnt enough to cover gas, not to mention they dont cover or do the routine maintenance they say they do on the vehicles. I got a flat and had to pay for it out of pocket. Not worth it for little shirt journeys or if you are doing part time. Weekend nights are really the only time u might make a decent buck for the time and gas. Also they dont tell u but u have to go to shaded areas to get credit for peak trips. The right time and place. Also there are so many drivers on the road its become too saturated and harder to stay busy
Pros
No big downpayment required just $250 deposit
Cons
Sheit pay, rental is like a mortgage payment
best ride share app
Chauffeur/Driver (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
lyft is the better of the rideshare trio. [uber,lyft,juno].
Lyft pays much more for each ride you give. Passengers are genuinely more respectful and conservative.
Pros
great pa, flexible hours, amazing perks
Cons
weak app interface.
you are the boss
Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 19, 2018
Great company to work for you are the boss!
Simply turn the app on and go. you are not pad fairly. I believe you should be paid more. no benefits! just some discounts. repair expenses are high. Not mentioning all the mileage you put on your vehicle. In my case its a great emergency or temporary job. and i am glad lyft was there as a rescue.
Driver underpaid and overcharged for excessive fees
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 18, 2018
All these bad reviews are right on target with LYFT. I had worked briefly for them in the past & busted my butt and wore out my car completely and my bank account only showed a few $$$ in it. They say they only keep 25% of your pay but this is completely false. They also charge a $2.90 Service Fee to you for each ride as the driver yet they say they pass this cost on to the rider. You never know where the rider is until you accept the ride, then you see their address. It may be 15 miles away then when you get there you still don't know where their destination is until they are in your car and you accept the ride. You then have to take them another 25 miles further in the opposite direction and only make $8 in all. At this time you are more than 45 miles away from home and when you are on your way back you don't get any more rides so you are screwed over not only on all your time spent driving to pick them up and taking them to their destination but all the gas you are out just to make it back home. THIS IS SO NOT A WAY TO MAKE EXTRA MONEY UNLESS YOU ARE JUST ABSOLUTELY DESPERATE!

SAD DRIVER
Pros
Cons
Underpaid, excessive auto maintenance, too much time spent driving to p/u and driving from destinations w/o pay, too many short rides but distance to the rider was excessive
You can be your own boss and not have to slave or demean yourself
Driver (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CASeptember 18, 2018
if you're a go getter and a hustler this is perfect job for you. Be in control of when you work, where you work, how you work, and how much you earn..
Pros
too many to count
Cons
must have a new car and be able to ignore idiots sometimes
Side money gig
DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 18, 2018
Similar to uber but slightly better. Drive around random strangers for chump change. great for when your bored or need gas money. Don't expect to live of of this job. When you need a new car your day job should cover it.
Pros
Work when you want
Cons
destroy your personal car.
Easy Money
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Where ever I liveSeptember 18, 2018
I enjoy meeting new people each day. I try to help all of my customers in a professional way. I provide transportation to those who have no vehicle. It is very rewarding
Pros
quick money
Cons
wear and tear on my car
It is what you make it, you are your own
Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 17, 2018
You must have self-discipline, you’ve got to get out there and drive a lot to make money and I mean a lot. Keep the maintenance up on your own vehicle etc. is a must
Pros
You are your own
Cons
Kind a hard to make money
Fun relaxed place to work
Part Time Driver (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXSeptember 17, 2018
I enjoy lyft because there’s is no one watching you over the shoulder. Flexible schedule and nice clients. Lyft can be used as a part time job that can help with extra bills or save for a vacation.
Pros
Flexible schedule.
Cons
No healthcare and you have to file taxes as an individual.
Not a good place to work
Driver Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 17, 2018
The one and only positive thing I liked about Lyft was the many different people I got to meet. As a whole this company gave no benefits to its drivers, no compensation for car maintenance at all, and in my opinion Lyft could have done a better job of looking out for their drivers.
Pros
Quick and easy money
Cons
No compensation/benefits
Meeting new people everyday and enjoyin everyday life
Driver (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 16, 2018
I have no problems with working for Lyft. I make my own hours and work at my own pace. I determine when I get paid and how much. A very good company to work for.
Pros
Make your own startime, Lunch, and off time with no supervision
Cons
No healthcare, vision and dental benefits
Driving for LYFT
Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 16, 2018
I've driven for Lyft for 3 months now. I needed to earn some extra money to support the basic needs of my family. I chose Lyft because of the flexible schedule and after researching the company goals and requirements on line.
I love lyft
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 15, 2018
You get to meet new people from all over the world. I’ve been Miami 35 years. Im also A club promoter so I know about different landmarks and events a
Pros
Work your own hours
Cons
Be your own boss
no support
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 14, 2018
ive had horrible experices with lyft from being hit on by men reporting it and no actions taken by company had somone puke in my car and they made it so hard to get compincated for the detailing that i gave up when i was on the lyft app between rides and was in a accident they diddnt care to help me out because i diddnt hace a passenger in the car so all in all it was a horible experience
Pros
work on you on time
Cons
they are greedy and only care about there pockets being full
Part time only
Driver (Current Employee) –  HonoluluSeptember 13, 2018
Welcome to lyft...
Pros:
1. Clock in and out whenever you want.
2. Great for side money.
3. Can be fun.

Cons:
1. Too many drivers which means less rides and a low average hourly income.
2. Some rides just aren't worth the detour of getting to them.
3. No worthwhile incentives to be fulltime.
4. Wear and tear on YOUR car is money to subtract out of your income.
5. Gas!!! Is something to consider to take out of your income.
6. Taxes is something to consider to take out of your income.

At the end of the day. Unless you're making 20+ an hour consistently, maybe even more, you are not making much at all. I would recommend only setting destinations from where you are to where you are already heading and only do those rides. At one point there was an incentive to give a certain number of rides for "bonus"... its laughable. They over hired or there just isn't enough clientele to support you to make those figures. I personally think it's both. To sum it all up, do not do lyft as your only source of income. Utilize it for what it is... ride sharing.
Pros
See review
Cons
See review
Independent
Lyft Driver (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 13, 2018
Only worth doing if you live in a huge busy city. In a small City like mine once word got out about the job there became too many drivers and not enough customers.
NOT even a GOOD deal
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 13, 2018
Started out driving as a short term means to pay living expenses. I'm fortunate because I don't have rent, so meeting monthly expenses while working 40-50 hours a week was doable. That was the only part of this experience with a temporary upside.
First, I discovered that Lyft lacks transparency in billing. They claim that the driver earns 75% of the Lyft Ride Fare, which is true. What they don't tell you is they have a variety of fees outside of the ride fare that gets billed to the customer of which the driver receives ZERO. For me, on average I was receiving about 50 - 60% of what the customer was actually being billed. Totally misrepresent their compensation and tie all back to contract jargon.Shady at best.
As a driver using your vehicle as THEIR means of generating income is a definite LOSE/LOSE. I generated 30K miles in a one year period doing this. People with newer vehicles are driving themselves right out of warranty earning peanuts while doing so. Every now and then I hear someone talking about their earnings and I shake my head. They're not even factoring in the added maintenance or overall depreciation on their vehicle. Will petty Lyft wages pay for another vehicle once it's worn out beyond repair. NO WAY!!
The bottom line from my perspective is rideshare companies are preying on the people who can least afford to be their minions. Generating ridership based on cut throat fares in the market in an effort to eventually own the market and drive out unions and competition...all at the contractor's expense. Remember contractor, you have no representation and they
  more... will pay what they want based on that fact alone.  less
Pros
Short term money
Cons
Depreciation, wage stagnation, union busting, liability risks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lyft. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss