Lyft Employee Reviews

Found 1,535 reviews matching the search See all 1,539 reviews
fun
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 24, 2018
nice to meet new people. its good when its busy and you can find rides but sometimes you don't make any money. not sure how good the returns are once gas is factored in
earn extra income!
Lyft Driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CASeptember 24, 2018
it allows you to deliver extra income at the base of a fingertip, anywhere, any time at any place. lyft has driver and passenger safety in mind at all times. It allows you to maximize income through the lyft map hot zones. higher percentage payouts when there is an event, more of a demand for drivers.
Pros
maximum effort
Cons
low times
Waste Of Time
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 23, 2018
Working for lyft is really a big joke.
Waste of Time
Negative Profit
Wear and Tear
Very low pay for a long trip driving
Mostly or even all of them are lowest paying fare
Too many negative opinions to mention.

After paying Gas, Maintenance, putting too much time into it. etc etc
NOT WORTH IT.
Pros
Cons
Waste of time Very low pay for drivers, Too many to mention
relaxed environment , working at my pace. chill. good pay
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 23, 2018
Meeting new people is challenging , but fun. always a new route or place to visit. have met a few interesting people while driving for lift.the money and bonuses are good. if you apply yourself.
Pros
self sufficient, create my own hours
Cons
intimidating having strangers in your car
Pretty enjoyable.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 22, 2018
Standard work day for me would be heading out in the early afternoon, and working until the late evening, or into the night. I learned much about not only the city and what goes on, but a plethora about its people. Lyft blows away the competition because most other rideshares operate as just a side hustle. Lyft holds company events such as summer picnics, driver awards, and much more; something that cant be said about any other major ridesharing company. The workplace is literally the streets and neighborhoods of Chicago-land. We all know it can get a bit frustrating with traffic at times, however this is just to be expected. Hardest part about Lyft driving is just being patient. sometimes you just cant seem to snag a ride. Karma is good to us. If you're running on a dry streak, don't worry, there's a downpour of ride requests coming. In conclusion working for Lyft is an enjoyable experience, with a wonderful community, and a flexable schedule if you need it.
Pros
Set your own hours. Good pay.
Cons
Mileage on your car. Potential for damage to your car.
I don't like the rides bonuses
Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 21, 2018
I think the thing that torpedoes Lyft's desire to be fair to drivers is the fact that they give bonuses for the number of rides the driver provides - which would be fine if I had the choice of choosing only the short rides so I could accumulate as many rides as possible; but I don't have that luxury and often I have to drive passengers long distances. Driving long distances is great for the cash, but not good for the bonuses.

I think Lyft should count every minute past 15 minutes as an additional ride (even if it's just one). They don't have to charge the customer any differently, they just have to count it differently in the driver's rides counter.

So, if the passenger is in the car for 15 minutes or less - that's 1 ride. If they are in the car for 15 minutes and 1 Second to 30 minutes - that counts as 2 rides. And 30 minutes and 1 second to 45 minutes counts as 3 rides; etc.

Also, if the customer cancels the ride after a certain period of time, the driver should still get paid and the ride should count.
Pros
money
Cons
ride number based bonuses
Horrible
Lyft Driver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 21, 2018
If you get in a car accident.. they will not help you worth a dime. EVEN WHEN THE ACCIDENT WASN'T YOUR FAULT. Very disorganized. No selection when it came to picking a car. When you try to switch. Nothing was ever available. Then when I was forced to switch cars they gave me one with 10 mpg less than my previous car. Costing me an extra $100 per week on gas with NO COMPENSATION FROM LYFT. 0/10 WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE.
Own Boss
Driver (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CASeptember 20, 2018
Remembered to keep car clean
Manage time and profit
Kept vehicle maintained properly, clean, frequent washes, registered, inspected, fueled and insured
Pros
Tips
great way to make extra cash
Amature Chauffeur (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 20, 2018
I love working for lyft. I work when I want and stop working when I want. I get paid every day I do work. when you own your own vehicle dealing with management is nonexistent unless you reach out and then they will get right back to you. I get no experience so many different people, and most all my encounters a great and stress-free. the lyft rider community is great, regardless of the neighborhood.
Pros
easy quick money
A typical day
Uber Driver (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2018
you never know what kind of day you will get. Even on a 6-8 hour shift, in San Diego, you may get anywhere from zero request to 10 request or more, compared to Uber where it is much busier. Lyft is also not a leader in the rideshare industry as they tend to follow Uber's footsteps in lowering rates when Uber does and copying services provided like shared rides.
Pros
quick money. ability to cash out on a daily basis.
Cons
no benefits, low rates
Express ride rental expect to starve
Driver (Current Employee) –  San DiegoSeptember 19, 2018
At $233/week or close to a $1,000 a month, its impossible to feed yourself and put gas in your car, ironic huh. Many times ill drive for 15min to make $3, $6 for 30min, and shared rides are the worst. Great for customers awful for drivers. Last week i made $30 after rental and this week $40. This isnt enough to cover gas, not to mention they dont cover or do the routine maintenance they say they do on the vehicles. I got a flat and had to pay for it out of pocket. Not worth it for little shirt journeys or if you are doing part time. Weekend nights are really the only time u might make a decent buck for the time and gas. Also they dont tell u but u have to go to shaded areas to get credit for peak trips. The right time and place. Also there are so many drivers on the road its become too saturated and harder to stay busy
Pros
No big downpayment required just $250 deposit
Cons
Sheit pay, rental is like a mortgage payment
best ride share app
Chauffeur/Driver (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
lyft is the better of the rideshare trio. [uber,lyft,juno].
Lyft pays much more for each ride you give. Passengers are genuinely more respectful and conservative.
Pros
great pa, flexible hours, amazing perks
Cons
weak app interface.
you are the boss
Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 19, 2018
Great company to work for you are the boss!
Simply turn the app on and go. you are not pad fairly. I believe you should be paid more. no benefits! just some discounts. repair expenses are high. Not mentioning all the mileage you put on your vehicle. In my case its a great emergency or temporary job. and i am glad lyft was there as a rescue.
FUN job at times!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 19, 2018
Meeting new people is a huge reason why I drive for Lyft. Lyft is VERY competitive due to the drivers in my area but I can say that is one of only a few cons driving for Lyft. Despite some of my sketchy riders and very being hit, spit on and cursed at, Lyft is a good company.
Pros
Making my own Schedule
Cons
Some sketchy riders, situations and being physically violated at times by riders
Driver underpaid and overcharged for excessive fees
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 18, 2018
All these bad reviews are right on target with LYFT. I had worked briefly for them in the past & busted my butt and wore out my car completely and my bank account only showed a few $$$ in it. They say they only keep 25% of your pay but this is completely false. They also charge a $2.90 Service Fee to you for each ride as the driver yet they say they pass this cost on to the rider. You never know where the rider is until you accept the ride, then you see their address. It may be 15 miles away then when you get there you still don't know where their destination is until they are in your car and you accept the ride. You then have to take them another 25 miles further in the opposite direction and only make $8 in all. At this time you are more than 45 miles away from home and when you are on your way back you don't get any more rides so you are screwed over not only on all your time spent driving to pick them up and taking them to their destination but all the gas you are out just to make it back home. THIS IS SO NOT A WAY TO MAKE EXTRA MONEY UNLESS YOU ARE JUST ABSOLUTELY DESPERATE!

SAD DRIVER
Pros
Cons
Underpaid, excessive auto maintenance, too much time spent driving to p/u and driving from destinations w/o pay, too many short rides but distance to the rider was excessive
You can be your own boss and not have to slave or demean yourself
Driver (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CASeptember 18, 2018
if you're a go getter and a hustler this is perfect job for you. Be in control of when you work, where you work, how you work, and how much you earn..
Pros
too many to count
Cons
must have a new car and be able to ignore idiots sometimes
Side money gig
DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 18, 2018
Similar to uber but slightly better. Drive around random strangers for chump change. great for when your bored or need gas money. Don't expect to live of of this job. When you need a new car your day job should cover it.
Pros
Work when you want
Cons
destroy your personal car.
Easy Money
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Where ever I liveSeptember 18, 2018
I enjoy meeting new people each day. I try to help all of my customers in a professional way. I provide transportation to those who have no vehicle. It is very rewarding
Pros
quick money
Cons
wear and tear on my car
It is what you make it, you are your own
Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 17, 2018
You must have self-discipline, you’ve got to get out there and drive a lot to make money and I mean a lot. Keep the maintenance up on your own vehicle etc. is a must
Pros
You are your own
Cons
Kind a hard to make money
Fun relaxed place to work
Part Time Driver (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXSeptember 17, 2018
I enjoy lyft because there’s is no one watching you over the shoulder. Flexible schedule and nice clients. Lyft can be used as a part time job that can help with extra bills or save for a vacation.
Pros
Flexible schedule.
Cons
No healthcare and you have to file taxes as an individual.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lyft. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

71out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Lyft.

Powered by Comparably