Lyft Employee Reviews for Driver

Found 1,010 reviews matching the search See all 1,728 reviews
Absolutely Zero Help From Management
Driver (Former Employee) –  DFW, TXNovember 21, 2018
Constantly threatened with car being "recovered" by their partners for mistakes they would make. The first car they gave me broke down. They had no record of giving me a replacement vehicle and shut me down. They had no record of the car being inspected and shut me down. They say I did 9 rides and I documented 13. No one to complain to or challenge. If you complain you will sit for hours with no calls in the busiest part of town.
Surely just a matter of time before the spit hits the pan working for the worst employer ever. They truly prey on desperate drivers.
Pros
Maybe in the future
Cons
Please be wary
Uber copycat
Driver (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 30, 2018
Drove for Lyft in San Francisco and completed over 1500 rides. After expenses you'll make minimum wage and sometimes less. There will be times when you'll get lucky with high surge/prime time rides and make more but its rare. The worst part is you'll run your car into the ground. You'll run into rude riders who will abuse you and your car and think you're a loser for being a rideshare driver. Lyft does not have your back as they always listen and believe any lie the riders tell them.
Pros
Own schedule
Cons
Earnings, expenses, rating system, rude people, support
Not worth the time or money
Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 11, 2018
Definitely not worth the risk. For what they charge for their rental process you can go get your own car, the cars aren't as good as they say they are, after only working one weekend I decided to return the car that following Tuesday its been over a week and they are still trying to take out of my account and haven't returned my deposit. Do yourself a favor and avoid working for lyft at any means necessary. If you are trying to make extra money. You will spend more than you earn.
Don't Ruin Your Car
Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 23, 2018
If someone damages your car while you give them a ride, YOU have to pay for repairs. You have to pay for gasoline, oil, tires, wear...

There is no guarantee that you will get enough ride in a night to make it worth your while. There is ALWAYS a possibility that you will be taken far away from your covered area, which means you may have to drive an hour OR MORE, between a long ride (no tip, because the ride is "too expensive") and your next.
Pros
work when you can, meet ssome nice people
Cons
wear on care, out of pocket expensese, drunks, stoners, rude people
I loved working for lyft
Driver (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIDecember 11, 2018
I lived in Kalamazoo Michigan, I would make around $120 a day. I worked 6-7 hours depending on the day. The only thing that sucks with lyft is you don’t really get benefits. You’re your own boss. I loved meeting new people and I gave over 1000 rides. They called it the 1k club. It was awesome. It’s just a job you have to be patient with. The down side is that you’re your own boss so you make your own hours... which sometimes I would just not “go” to work. Lyft is usually really responsive but they started delaying my cash out payments which made me really upset so I stopped driving for them and moved back home.
Pros
Meeting all kinds of people
Cons
Mileage
Terrible company for work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 22, 2018
The company's paying style is horrible.
Almost every month they show new rules...
Everyone knows that recently gas prices are going up even this situation they sent notifications to us( lyft drivers) ıt was about reducing mile prices and increasing rent price.

Rent price was 209 per week but they will change it in December 2018 so it will be 219 per week.
Mileage price was 0.8 per mile but they will reduce it in December 2018 so it will be 0,7 USD per mile.
How ridiculous it is. They should have increased it not reduced...
Don't spend your life for this worthless job..
everyday 10 hours drive and what is result? NOTHING!
Pros
no boss
Cons
mile prices, very low payment, very low minumum ride prices...
The best job I've ever had....
Driver (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 8, 2018
I was signed up with the Express Drive program through the Hertz/Lyft office in Beaverton. I LOVED THIS JOB, and made great money. My best weeks brought in $800 to $1000 after paying for the rental car. I love to drive and found that my customers enjoyed chatting with me (for the most part).

My car ended up getting stolen, so I was suddenly without a job and without transportation. I'm not able to drive for Lyft quite yet but am appealing. Please, Lyft, read this review and let me drive again! I'm pretty sure you know who I am, if you happen to be in the Beaverton office. ;)
Pros
Good pay, fun job, set own hours
Cons
High deductible, rental car was expensive, rental discounts were difficult to achieve
fun, slow paced, interesting, no advancement
Driver (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 29, 2018
keep all your receipts and mileage for tax write offs
people skills come in handy
different personalities make the job fun
don't mind the grumpy people
not paid for waiting for rides or for driving to pick up passengers
not paid for gas
only paid for mileage, not for time
if passenger wants to do multiple stops ex: cvs, del taco and you spend 15 minutes waiting you are NOT paid.
no benefits
no sick time/vacation
overrall easy and fun job
lyft has great customer service
Pros
easy, fun
Cons
no benefits, safety, no advancement
The worst company
Driver (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoNovember 3, 2018
I was druving for lyft for sometimes, I was not happy at all. The pay wasn't enough. When you call customer service you feel they are yelling at you.
They expected you to be super nice working for them as slave, at the same time the deal with you as salve.No Customer service no pay no Safety. Some passengers work for the head quarter. One time one lady requested me and I stuck in traffic so she texted me saying( I WORK FOR LYFT IF YOU WON'T COME QUICK YOU WILL BE FIRED) Guess what the day next I got fired.
Cons
Not worth the wear and tear on vehicle or gas u plainly throw away
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fenton mi, lansing, flint, all overNovember 1, 2018
Horrible company to work for. Supervisors are extremely rude. Dont pay u your money. I'm still fighting with them over 59.61 from the first week that I never got paid.
Pros
In my eyes no pros, how can it be a pro if u constantly have to call and beg for ur money.
Cons
Bad customer service, dont put money in account, try to send it to a different account, very rude supervisors, tell u false info, dont put your bonuses u have to call them at least 3 times a day
Poor give the driver right to rate the coustomer.
Driver (Former Employee) –  MichiganOctober 26, 2018
Before 5 years i worked like driver and they stopped me because somboday drunk complained after 5 year i buy new midel car 2009 and apply again to work like driver
Lololo they said we are stopped you before 5 years lololo even the gremnal can be return to the normal lige and work after spend the 5 years in jail
Lolol ok before 5 years there is no right to driver to rate the passenger ok and why the lyft not try me again before they refuse to hired me?
Before 5 years the passenger even they don't know about put rate .
Pros
Miles insurance
Cons
Hhh
Having the flexibility, and meeting new people
Driver (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 17, 2018
A typical day at work consist of picking up and dropping off new passengers, and trying to make their day with a smile and warm greetings.

I learned to have more patience with people.

The management is doing a good job.

The workplace culture is very diverse and I enjoy it.

The hardest part of my job would be the traffic with drivers that don't know what they are doing, and some of the riders trying to get over on the fare. Traveling long distances that do not match the pay.

The most enjoyable part of my job is making the people smile and making their day.
Pros
Getting tips
Cons
Healthcare
Express Drive
Driver (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 15, 2018
Unless you are strapped for money, i wouldnt dont. You have to pull out your own taxes, to make any money you have to work long hours, not your normal long hours either, you have to put in gas which is tax except. If someone rates you badly because they dont like you or they are having a bad day. They can deactivate your account. People can be real pains and if your not super nice, they can rate you badly. All i ever did was work, sleep, and eat to make 75 rides here in Orlando. I hated it. They never really gave me back my full deposit and i had to fight over what i did get back because they made an error on lyft and hertz part.
Pros
Making your own hours
Cons
Taxes, long hours, no life, lose money
Fun job, good fares if in the right place at the right time.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 26, 2018
I worked the downtown area on weekends and nights after the bars closed down. Always a lively group, although Utah doesn't know what tipping means. I didn't have much connection with management, only during Sundance. You could make money if you were at the right place at the right time, which wasn't the easiest thing to do.
Pros
set your own hours
Cons
a lot of competition, becoming saturated in some areas
Lousy company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 4, 2018
I worked 8-10 hours a day but couldn’t make ends meet. The clients were mean, they would tell outright lies to get a free ride and would give you 4 stars or less with a just to get the sympathy of the management. Plus the management only supported the client and did not show hardly any support for the driver. They especially don’t like veterans. I found out the hard way how uncaring they are!
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
Low pay and uncaring manage!
Rip off
Driver (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 4, 2018
Lyft & Uber are stealing money from the ones doing all the work! Us drivers! Without drivers, the ride share industry is nothing. After all expenses: gas, maintenance, tires, the constant cleaning and washing, etc., etc.; your profit is literally $6.00-$7.00 per hour! Just go work at McDonald’s and you will make more money! Rip Off!!!
Pros
If I pull from Lyft’s “Pro” list - Lyft gets to cheat money & time out of drivers!
Cons
Everything! Unless you’re a Lyft Executive.
Indentured Servitude
Driver (Former Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 26, 2018
This company, along with Uber, conduct their business in such a way that merits extensive regulatory investigation. The treatment given to the contractors whom support this questionable business model is incompatible with any modern society. Typically operates as a taxi service despite lacking the appropriate permits or wages associated with one.
Pros
Self structured schedules
Cons
Every other aspect
Lyft is very unorganized and dont value the safety of their drivers.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Louisville,kyOctober 4, 2018
No value for driver safety. Various surprises when picking up riders, you don't know who you're picking up or how many until you arrive. No pay for pick up only drop off. Pay for mileage sucks. Not worth the wear and tear on your vehicle or the gas burned. Good for a few quick bucks that's about it. Don't quit your day job. Customer service sucks as well.
Pros
Good for few quick bucks
Cons
More cons than pros. I like uber better.
love the flexibility, and being your own boss and choosing your own hours fits really nicely in my daily life.
DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILOctober 1, 2018
being your own boss is my favorite part about this job, that and the fact that i can pick my own hours works best with my busy schedule. I also like the fact that if i choose to go on vacation somewhere, i can do so and still work and make money on my down time driving on my vacation, if i needed to make a few extra bucks.
Pros
it allows you to be your own boss
Cons
sometimes it can be real slow at certain times of the day
I have absolute freedom as far as the hours I choose to work. I have no choice, however as to the passengers I take.
DRIVER (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2018
I have absolute freedom as far as the hours I work. If I need to take a day off for any reason, I merely do not log on. I can log off at any time and do whatever I want and log on again when I am done. I have no choice as to the passengers I take or the destination I take them to. I can listen to anything I want on the radio and there is no dress code. I have the freedom to talk with any passenger about anything I want within what I call common sense boundaries. I find that certain people like to chat and those people tend to tip me when I do.
Pros
Freedom of hours worked
Cons
miles I put on my car

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lyft. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight