Lyft Job Security & Advancement reviews

my driving
Driver (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 8, 2017
To achieve a corporate level career by utilizing my skill as an innovator, a diplomat
,a decision maker ..............................................
It's good work if it's right for you...
Driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 6, 2017
I drive Lyft fairly regularly. It has been my sole income in lean times times, and a supplement at other times. Living in Philly, I stay pretty busy. Most people knock rideshare driving because of the net pay and wear and tear on your vehicle. I drive a late model car in good condition (which any rideshare driver is required to have anyway) that stays well maintained. I more than make back the cost of a fillup in 3 hours, and a fillup can take me 3-4 days depending how often I drive. I drive peak hours in high demand areas - I don't do a lot of cruising or sitting during random times or in random spots. I pay no more in insurance than I would if I didn't drive rideshare - Lyft covers me whenever I am headed to a fare or have one in the car. True, I am putting miles on my car - but so does anyone who drives to and from work. And running around in a densely packed city doesn't pile on the miles like driving in another type area would. Add in the fact that I don't do much driving other than this, and Lyft makes pretty good sense for me. Oh...and I am a patient, personable, safe, efficient driver with a friendly demeanor and a very clean car - those go a long way. So yeah...Lyft may not be a great career move or a reason to buy a car (and they'll likely be getting rid of us drivers altogether soon anyway), but there are a lot more stressful, thankless, dead-end ways to make a few hundred extra bucks a week. If I'm making the same money I would be making in some soul crushing low level job anyway, with a killer commute, restrictive schedule, bad boss, clothing and meal expenses,  more... etc., I would much rather do this.  less
Pros
make your own schedule, bonuses, work as much or as little as you want
Cons
low pay, unpredictable pay, app occasionally goes screwy
Going Downhill
Driver (Current Employee) –  Northern californiaNovember 6, 2017
Just six months ago, i would have given lyft 4 stars, but driver appreciation is trending downwards. When i started (i am approaching my 1000 ride) there were guarntee hours, and a focus on keeping drivers happy. Then, when uber underwent there corporate problems, lyft gained much of there lost customer base. With this success, Lyft began acting like Uber.
Guarntee hours are gone in my area. They were replaced with power zones, certain areas u can make more and were rides given count for a weekly bonus. Harder to acheive, but possible with planning. Now, for the last four weeks, these areas/times keep shrinking. There are no am hours even offered this week, nice when the state of CA just raised gas prices by 12 cents a gallon. Meanwhile, lyft continues to take over 25% of each ride.
Lyft remains a decent part time gig, but thats all. If your looking for more than a little play money, look somewhere else, especially if you dont own your car. Youll never earn with the current rental rates.
Something to do in between jobs
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 20, 2017
I've found that working for lyft full time is not a reliable source of income. Good filler job while looking for something more permanent. If you don't like to drive this is not for you.
Pros
choose when you want to work
Cons
not much income
great company
Rideshare Driver (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 3, 2017
i love lyft, been a driver for almost 4 years. great part time job and life/work balance. you can work when you want to. i have completed almost 5k rides and hold a 4.9 rating. just an amazing experience.
Too Competitive in small cities
Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 2, 2017
Needs to reduce drivers in smaller cities as it oversaturates the area. Also, the company not honest about how much you will make a week and takes more than advertised.
Great side hustle
Driver (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 28, 2017
Lyft has been a great company to work for. i have always been treated fairly and given the opportunity to make money. they are constantly improving on the experience.
Great supplemental job!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 28, 2017
Been driving for about 2 years now and I can say that it's been great with Lyft! I've never had any issues with any passengers. People are friendly and respectful. There could be improvements made to the gps application that are currently partnered with Lyft. Besides that this is the best "Side" job I've ever had in my working career! Work schedule? You make your own time lol. Pay can be excellent depending on how often you drive and how far. The cool thing with Lyft is that you get free gadgets and apparel for giving a certain amount of rides. I also enjoy the Lyft driver's meet and greet event once in awhile to break the chain and loosen up the stress people go through daily.
Pros
Free gadgets, jackets, donuts and coffee, discount on fuel with shell gas station!
Cons
Unable to control the weirdos entering my vehicle!
Great hours
Transportation (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2017
I was able to work the hours and the time that I wanted. I was able to meet a lot of interesting and new people and have a lot of interesting conversation. I get to learn the city.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
No benefits
Don't waste your time
Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 17, 2017
Lyft pays their drivers terrible. They are constantly lowering their prices and railing their drivers in one way or another. This job is terrible if you are looking at it as a serious source of employment. Because it is so terrible, Lyfts primary business strategy is to hire as many drivers as possible because the turnover is so high. The net result of that is that the market is completely saturated with drivers. It isn't uncommon (as far as my experience goes) to sit around for extended periods of time with absolutely no work at all. I worked in Los Angeles, and there were many days where I would work for 8 or 9 hours and make 30 dollars or less. Combined with the costs of insurance, gas, car payments, you are honestly lucky if you break even (in my case.)

I know there are people who make a living with Lyft and they do alright, but that certainly wasn't me.

Advice: If there is some kind of promotion like 500 dollars for signing up and doing 100 rides, or whatever it might be, do it. Knock out the rides and get your sign on bonus. Chances are it is the most money you will ever make driving for lyft.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
pay sucks, liability high, hours suck, saturated work market, damage to your car from customers etc.
Great for extra money
Driver (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 14, 2017
Excellent 2nd job! Fantastic extra income and a great opportunity for tax write-offs! Though, the rental program is only viable if you drive full-time
Ok if you got nothing else to do.
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 7, 2017
Don't expect it to change your life. It can help with the small bills and as long as your ready to work all day and cover your own taxes. The best chance you have at making it a career is in a busy city.
Balanced work place with lyft
Driver (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 4, 2017
Good job to have when your trying to balance lots of different things. Sometimes support would take longer to respond but so far got the help i needed.
Interesting Driving Job
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 26, 2017
Lyft had a lot less rides during the day than Uber, but it gave me the experience of how rideshare companies work. Using their app and Google Maps, I gained a lot of exposure to how customers behave in a rideshare service.
Pros
I learned how a rideshare works.
Cons
There were more rides during the day with Uber so I switched.
it was an ok job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 25, 2017
It was stressful because it was hard to get riders. Unless you was in a certain area. I didnt have an manger to report to and if you have an question it's very hard to get in touch with someone for an answer.
Flexible hours and fun meeting new people.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAAugust 16, 2017
I love working for this company. Love the flexibility of hours, meeting new people and finding new ways around town. The hardest part of the job is the down time you have, you constantly want to be working but that's not always the case. I enjoy almost every aspect of the job. the only con I have come across is no benefits, if they offered benefits I more then likely would not be looking for a new job.
Pros
Flexible hours and no boss to answer to.
Cons
no benefits
Great Side Job
Ride-Share driver (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 8, 2017
I really enjoyed working for Lyft until they changed the apps and its been more difficult to get rides. I haven't had any rides in over 2 months!!!!!!
Pros
Work when ever you want
Cons
New app isn't working properly
Flexibility
Independent Driver (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 5, 2017
I have loved working for Lyft of the past 6 months, but there is no business for Lyft in Greensboro, NC. I make more in big cities, but Greensboro is where I desire to live. I hope Lyft begins to become more popular in Greensboro because they are an awesome company and I enjoy being a Lyft driver.
Pros
Set your own schedule
Cons
Slow business
Organized and Productive
Driver (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAAugust 4, 2017
A great company to work for. It basically requires you to drive around people who are trying to get to their destination. Their application is very easy to use and is highly recommended.
Great Job, But Not A Career
CE Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 4, 2017
When I first started at the company, I had high hopes. Many of the company's actions are very progressive and there's a high representation of women in leadership positions for a tech company.
After working at the company 18+ months, all of the shiny wrappings have begun to look less appealing. Take off the pink bow, and you're left with a corporation that still plays corporate games. Whether it's an LLC on Wall Street or in Silicon Valley, all corporations are the same in that employees are just pawns in a company's chess game. Some definitely treat their players better than others, but it in the end it's all games - the fun is up to your outlook.
Because of the fast growth the company has had, there's actually little opportunity for advancement; chances for promotions or internal transfers are few and far between with lots of competition. Internal applicants for positions are treated equal to external: there is no preference given in positions for current employees, which personally I find shows little regard for employee loyalty.

All in all, I've learned a lot and it was a good first job, but that's all it is a job. If you're looking to build a career, this may not be the company for you.
Pros
dog-friendly office; good benefits
Cons
no 401k match; no stock options for hourly employees; little career growth opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lyft. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9