Lyft Pay & Benefits reviews

Flexible and Imperfect. Great "Side-Hustle"!
Self Employed Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXNovember 19, 2017
Very flexible. You are your own boss. But that boss doesn't pay you a penny when you are sick. Or your car is being serviced.

You have amazing conversations that last as long as the trip does. Then they are over for life, really. Driving the same person a second time - in a large city - is exceedingly rare.
Pros
Flexible, fun, challenging
Cons
zero benefits, no sick pay, "perks" seem to be aimed at the yachting class....
Endless opportunity if you have time and a good vehicle
Rideshare Driver (Current Employee) –  Inland Empire, CANovember 14, 2017
Working with Lyft is actually great, mostly because of the great customers I've had the opportunity to interact with. If you have the availability to drive and have a good car...you will never have to worry about income ever again.
Impossible to make a living!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 14, 2017
I worked day and night and after fees, car maintenance, and gas, I made very little. $20/hour?! HA... This is fraudulent and misleading advertising to get drivers on-board. You have to work yourself to the point of exhaustion to make even a decent salary. Lyft is a horrible horrible company.
Pros
Your own schedule...
Cons
You make very little money and exhaust yourself putting you and others in danger!
Cool way to make extra money
Driver (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 13, 2017
Don't quit a regular job to drive for lyft if you need s consistent check.
You really have to put in more then 8 hours a day 5 times a week to see any kind of real payout.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
inconsistent
Great Part Time
DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 11, 2017
days can be long or short depending on your goals and time of day you decide to drive. Very flexible, you decide when you want to make some extra money.
Pros
Flexible, Discounts, Bonus Opportunities
Cons
not Consistent, no compensation on wasted time and gas
Not having job security
Driver (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 9, 2017
the lyft system deactivete good driver very easy. when you work hard and very respectful if you do small fault you shouid be deactivate in the driver mode.
Not Enough Advancement
Taxi Driver (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 8, 2017
Working for Lyft is good in the sense of being able to work when you want to. However, advancement is lacking and the pay is less than what it was years ago. Also, you have to pay for the expenses for your car so it is necessary to make at least an additional 500-700 a month just to cover those expenses.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay, advancement, insurance.
It's good work if it's right for you...
Driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 6, 2017
I drive Lyft fairly regularly. It has been my sole income in lean times times, and a supplement at other times. Living in Philly, I stay pretty busy. Most people knock rideshare driving because of the net pay and wear and tear on your vehicle. I drive a late model car in good condition (which any rideshare driver is required to have anyway) that stays well maintained. I more than make back the cost of a fillup in 3 hours, and a fillup can take me 3-4 days depending how often I drive. I drive peak hours in high demand areas - I don't do a lot of cruising or sitting during random times or in random spots. I pay no more in insurance than I would if I didn't drive rideshare - Lyft covers me whenever I am headed to a fare or have one in the car. True, I am putting miles on my car - but so does anyone who drives to and from work. And running around in a densely packed city doesn't pile on the miles like driving in another type area would. Add in the fact that I don't do much driving other than this, and Lyft makes pretty good sense for me. Oh...and I am a patient, personable, safe, efficient driver with a friendly demeanor and a very clean car - those go a long way. So yeah...Lyft may not be a great career move or a reason to buy a car (and they'll likely be getting rid of us drivers altogether soon anyway), but there are a lot more stressful, thankless, dead-end ways to make a few hundred extra bucks a week. If I'm making the same money I would be making in some soul crushing low level job anyway, with a killer commute, restrictive schedule, bad boss, clothing and meal expenses,  more... etc., I would much rather do this.  less
Pros
make your own schedule, bonuses, work as much or as little as you want
Cons
low pay, unpredictable pay, app occasionally goes screwy
Going Downhill
Driver (Current Employee) –  Northern californiaNovember 6, 2017
Just six months ago, i would have given lyft 4 stars, but driver appreciation is trending downwards. When i started (i am approaching my 1000 ride) there were guarntee hours, and a focus on keeping drivers happy. Then, when uber underwent there corporate problems, lyft gained much of there lost customer base. With this success, Lyft began acting like Uber.
Guarntee hours are gone in my area. They were replaced with power zones, certain areas u can make more and were rides given count for a weekly bonus. Harder to acheive, but possible with planning. Now, for the last four weeks, these areas/times keep shrinking. There are no am hours even offered this week, nice when the state of CA just raised gas prices by 12 cents a gallon. Meanwhile, lyft continues to take over 25% of each ride.
Lyft remains a decent part time gig, but thats all. If your looking for more than a little play money, look somewhere else, especially if you dont own your car. Youll never earn with the current rental rates.
Great Place to work if you're tired of Corporate life
Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2017
Overall driving for lyft is worth it! Not having a set schedule and having the freedom to come and go as I please has allowed me to travel more than ever! I recommend it for anyone who can deal with the public, looking to make a decent income and get out of the rat race! This is one of those things you get out of it what you put in!
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Can be slow at times

Want to know more about Lyft?

Ask a question
Socially fun
TRANSPORTATION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 6, 2017
Fun, relaxing job. But I need a consistent paycheck with benefits (PTO and bereavement) are pretty handy. Not having them has really put me in little holes, trying to play catch up.
Pros
Fun, relaxing
Cons
Miles on car, no PTO
Don't drive for Lyft
Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 5, 2017
It isn't worth it. They will not pay you fairly. You have to check every ride. After expenses, it ends up being less than minimum wage. Your car will get trashed. Do not do their rental programs. The number rides required mean 60+ hours per week.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Everything else
Don't do it, you will loose
Driver (Former Employee) –  New JerseyNovember 2, 2017
This is a part time opportunity for people who have no responsibilities or bills. I drive in NJ and most days ibtake home $9 per hour after gas. Remember also you will have to pay taxes during tax season. So that leaves u with around 7$ per hour then factor in vehicle upkeep and insurance. You loose either way, besides the Lyft fees are ridiculously high. Many NJ drivers don't stay with the company.
Not worth doing
Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 1, 2017
Just don't recommend working for Lyft. Lots of miles for mostly $5 fairs. Furthermore, Lyft is paying themselves TWICE for every fair. They charge the passenger, say $20 for the Lyft, but show you it's only a $17 ride and then take there 25% from the $17. That's unfair, but that's Lyft for you.

They offer some discounts on things, but no real benefits.

Lyft and Uber are nothing more than a high interest loan. You get your money up front, but when those repair bills/tires start coming in, hope you're ready to dish out some big bucks to fix your car!!!
Avoid
Private Contractor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 1, 2017
Lyft is overly saturated so the chances of earning are very slim. Most days lately I blow more in gas than I actually take in. Everyone says to work the nights and weekends. The problem with that is you're competing against every other Lyft driver with the same thought process. My advice skip all the hype and if your really want to drive for tips just go be a pizza delivery guy or something.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
low pay
Your own Boss
Driver (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAOctober 30, 2017
Starting Lyft was a bit spectral but being your own boss means you make the hours, So you're in control and that personally makes me feel good.
But if you don't work you don't make money.
Pros
Make Own hours
Cons
you dont work equals no money
For the most part I love it.
Driver (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 23, 2017
The only reason I'm not driving currently is because its put a beating on my car. For the wear & tear it's hard to determine if it's worth it. As of right now I can't drive because my vehicle needs major repairs that aren't accounted for in compensation.
Driving customers
Lyft Driver (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZOctober 20, 2017
Driving customers daily,
No benefits
No management
Hardest part is angry customers
Easy part customers enjoying themselves
I can work as many hours as i want
Something to do in between jobs
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 20, 2017
I've found that working for lyft full time is not a reliable source of income. Good filler job while looking for something more permanent. If you don't like to drive this is not for you.
Pros
choose when you want to work
Cons
not much income
Decent Job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 19, 2017
If you need extra money and have a car it's not a bad gig. I personally got sick of doing it. It really takes any form of a social life that you have.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lyft. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9