Lyft Employee Reviews

Great opportunity
Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 11, 2017
Lyft is a great opportunity when all else fail and an excellent way to make ends meet. Work around your own schedule and set your own expectations. Perfect for a social person.
Pros
The ability to make as much as you like and working around your schedule.
Not having job security
Driver (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 9, 2017
the lyft system deactivete good driver very easy. when you work hard and very respectful if you do small fault you shouid be deactivate in the driver mode.
fun and crazy
Independent Driver/ Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 9, 2017
You truly are your own boss. you set your hours and days you decide to work. you only answer to your passengers your bills and family. The open road is your office. How can you beat that.
Lyft was fun
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 9, 2017
There's not much to say about a forward-thinking rideshare service. They pay well, lots of people to pick up, and you meet a lot of different people. As long as you have the patience and tolerance for driving in the city, you'll have a lot of fun. And you'll drive almost anywhere. Hardest part about the job is when you get passengers that are uncooperative and backseat drive. Or tell you when the GPS is wrong. But the best part is making people happy simply by doing your job. All in all, its worth it for a second job.
Pros
Time off whenever you want
Cons
Need to own your own car
Not Enough Advancement
Taxi Driver (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 8, 2017
Working for Lyft is good in the sense of being able to work when you want to. However, advancement is lacking and the pay is less than what it was years ago. Also, you have to pay for the expenses for your car so it is necessary to make at least an additional 500-700 a month just to cover those expenses.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay, advancement, insurance.
my driving
Driver (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 8, 2017
To achieve a corporate level career by utilizing my skill as an innovator, a diplomat
,a decision maker ..............................................
Good work invirement
Independent Contractor-Driver (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94107November 7, 2017
Independent work space. Varied customer base from all walks and avenues in life. Great conversations on all subject matters. Operate my own vehicle, my work starts and stops as I see fit.
Pros
Meeting people.
Cons
Heavy traffic
Great Temp Job
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Valencia, NMNovember 6, 2017
Fun, adventurous, would be nice to have access to actual health care though. However they do offer discounts for anything you could think of with the exception to groceries.
Very Convenient
Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 6, 2017
Working for Lyft is a very good opportunity to make extra money in your spare time. It allows you to Meet new people, make Connections, and make money whenever you want.
It's good work if it's right for you...
Driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 6, 2017
I drive Lyft fairly regularly. It has been my sole income in lean times times, and a supplement at other times. Living in Philly, I stay pretty busy. Most people knock rideshare driving because of the net pay and wear and tear on your vehicle. I drive a late model car in good condition (which any rideshare driver is required to have anyway) that stays well maintained. I more than make back the cost of a fillup in 3 hours, and a fillup can take me 3-4 days depending how often I drive. I drive peak hours in high demand areas - I don't do a lot of cruising or sitting during random times or in random spots. I pay no more in insurance than I would if I didn't drive rideshare - Lyft covers me whenever I am headed to a fare or have one in the car. True, I am putting miles on my car - but so does anyone who drives to and from work. And running around in a densely packed city doesn't pile on the miles like driving in another type area would. Add in the fact that I don't do much driving other than this, and Lyft makes pretty good sense for me. Oh...and I am a patient, personable, safe, efficient driver with a friendly demeanor and a very clean car - those go a long way. So yeah...Lyft may not be a great career move or a reason to buy a car (and they'll likely be getting rid of us drivers altogether soon anyway), but there are a lot more stressful, thankless, dead-end ways to make a few hundred extra bucks a week. If I'm making the same money I would be making in some soul crushing low level job anyway, with a killer commute, restrictive schedule, bad boss, clothing and meal expenses,  more... etc., I would much rather do this.  less
Pros
make your own schedule, bonuses, work as much or as little as you want
Cons
low pay, unpredictable pay, app occasionally goes screwy
Going Downhill
Driver (Current Employee) –  Northern californiaNovember 6, 2017
Just six months ago, i would have given lyft 4 stars, but driver appreciation is trending downwards. When i started (i am approaching my 1000 ride) there were guarntee hours, and a focus on keeping drivers happy. Then, when uber underwent there corporate problems, lyft gained much of there lost customer base. With this success, Lyft began acting like Uber.
Guarntee hours are gone in my area. They were replaced with power zones, certain areas u can make more and were rides given count for a weekly bonus. Harder to acheive, but possible with planning. Now, for the last four weeks, these areas/times keep shrinking. There are no am hours even offered this week, nice when the state of CA just raised gas prices by 12 cents a gallon. Meanwhile, lyft continues to take over 25% of each ride.
Lyft remains a decent part time gig, but thats all. If your looking for more than a little play money, look somewhere else, especially if you dont own your car. Youll never earn with the current rental rates.
Great Place to work if you're tired of Corporate life
Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2017
Overall driving for lyft is worth it! Not having a set schedule and having the freedom to come and go as I please has allowed me to travel more than ever! I recommend it for anyone who can deal with the public, looking to make a decent income and get out of the rat race! This is one of those things you get out of it what you put in!
Pros
Freedom
Cons
Can be slow at times
Socially fun
TRANSPORTATION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 6, 2017
Fun, relaxing job. But I need a consistent paycheck with benefits (PTO and bereavement) are pretty handy. Not having them has really put me in little holes, trying to play catch up.
Pros
Fun, relaxing
Cons
Miles on car, no PTO
Don't drive for Lyft
Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 5, 2017
It isn't worth it. They will not pay you fairly. You have to check every ride. After expenses, it ends up being less than minimum wage. Your car will get trashed. Do not do their rental programs. The number rides required mean 60+ hours per week.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Everything else
Lyft are not interested in their drivers
Part time Driver (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 3, 2017
Lyft are not interested in their drivers, they only care about the numbers of drivers. in order to get better stand when driverless cars are released on the road.
Cons
Don't do it, you will loose
Driver (Former Employee) –  New JerseyNovember 2, 2017
This is a part time opportunity for people who have no responsibilities or bills. I drive in NJ and most days ibtake home $9 per hour after gas. Remember also you will have to pay taxes during tax season. So that leaves u with around 7$ per hour then factor in vehicle upkeep and insurance. You loose either way, besides the Lyft fees are ridiculously high. Many NJ drivers don't stay with the company.
Not worth doing
Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 1, 2017
Just don't recommend working for Lyft. Lots of miles for mostly $5 fairs. Furthermore, Lyft is paying themselves TWICE for every fair. They charge the passenger, say $20 for the Lyft, but show you it's only a $17 ride and then take there 25% from the $17. That's unfair, but that's Lyft for you.

They offer some discounts on things, but no real benefits.

Lyft and Uber are nothing more than a high interest loan. You get your money up front, but when those repair bills/tires start coming in, hope you're ready to dish out some big bucks to fix your car!!!
Driving for Lyft
Owner driver (Current Employee) –  SF, CANovember 1, 2017
It is a place were you are your own boss and that provides a lot of freedom something that most of us are looking for so I will recommend it to anybody looking for a part time or full time. If you put the hours you can make the 6 figures.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Avoid
Private Contractor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 1, 2017
Lyft is overly saturated so the chances of earning are very slim. Most days lately I blow more in gas than I actually take in. Everyone says to work the nights and weekends. The problem with that is you're competing against every other Lyft driver with the same thought process. My advice skip all the hype and if your really want to drive for tips just go be a pizza delivery guy or something.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
low pay
Its alright for those who dont mind driving
Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 31, 2017
Ive dont this for about a year now and i intend to keep going. If you have your own car, its a great job. If you rent a car, good luck keeping up. With every year it gets progressively harder for rental car users to make money and keep up with those who have their own cars.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lyft. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9