Lyman Products

Working at Lyman Products: 21 Reviews

United States21 reviews

Lousy people a few cool warehouse people.

Lousy place. Can’t trust others. Judgmental and don’t develop their people to succeed. Threatened if you have a good background. If you play Army you might fit in. Clicky country feel. No communication. No culture. Dirty. Don’t waste you’re time and get with the best company with a good feel and good people that know how to develop.

Lyman products

I am happy at my company, I work around good people. The days go by fast, there's never a dull moment. Work schedules is Monday thru Thursday 6:00 to 4:30pm off Fridays.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Sometime don't have what I need

Lyman Products insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

One of the few places, I've everworked where I enjoyed coversing with my boss

Production can be a real grind... advancement, doesn't seem possible, not with the CNC setup under Engineering NOT production. You can get locked in too solely production.Extremely bored.

hard pass

If you arent hired into a management position, chances are you wont be promoted to one. lyman does not promote its hard working employees into bigger and better positions. they do tend to promote people who are already managers by giving them pay raises with new made up titles to justify the pay raise.But for your average employee... This company cannot even supply a yearly pay raise that meets the national yearly inflation rate so you will be losing money yearly if you work here.if you are looking for an office job with lyman, they will have you work in the warehouse because they cant figure out how to hire people for inventory counts or packing orders.the turn over rate for this company is crazy, many people come and go, even higher up positions cycle frequently, and i would credit that to the people in charge at lyman.if youre looking to be in the firearms industry, i would say there are better options for you in this part of the country. if you just need a way to pay the bills for the time being, sure i guess this beats being unemployed.

Not Great for Advancement

The company itself has a strong, rich history in firearms and reloading. However, they seem to be struggling to stay relevant in the market. They don't have goals that lead back to their mission, making their work like a puzzle where you "build as you go." The people that work there are friendly, but there is a ton of drama among co-workers and inappropriate relationships. Super unprofessional. It is also important to note that this is a very male dominated company. Several of the managers are not sure what they are doing, making it hard to learn and advance in a career. There is no room for career advancement or salary growth. Salaries do not reflect the cost of living and are not reflective of similar jobs in the industry. "Promotions" or "raises" are very very small, they are almost a joke. Management doesn't recognize hard work OR offer educational advancement. Benefits are decent, but many companies do much better. The only salaries that are "high paying" are for those who have been there forever (20+ years) or if you are a favorite of the management. For example, jobs in Engineering. Work conditions aren't fantastic the building is old and drafty. Technology is pretty poor and always changing. Budgets are small and not used the right way. Overall, if you are young and looking for a place to learn and advance your career. I would not even apply to work at Lyman Products. If you are just looking for a paycheck and can handle the drama with co-workers. This place is for you.

Good company to work for

There's been a lot of change for the better since I started working here. I feel my opinions and suggestions are well received by management and Ideas for improvement are welcome. I enjoy the working environment and sense of team work amongst my group.

Honestly...

Its food, clothing, and shelter and allows me time to be with my family. The manager has made it clear this is a dead end type job, which is unfortunate as the products we provide would be very enjoyable to use and advocate for, and I ave a lot to offer a company like this.The co-workers in my office are too quiet all the time, and negative. Every meeting we have is negative, a lot of sighs and moaning, and management does not try to change this perspective. There is no laughter in this group. We cannot take lunch breaks with other co-workers, and there is not enough work to fill my workday, so frequently it is filled with deafening silence or earbuds, while my co-workers struggle to keep up. I feel that my manager doesn't value my thoughts opinions or ideas on improving moral, quality or efficiency, though he buys the office off with sweets and decorations, and new appliances. Its like he doesn't understand that you can buy the dog, but you can't buy the wag of the dog's tail.

Stressful dirty work environment

10 hour days in a just about windowless factory. No air conditioning in factory leads to hot summers. Struggles with communication along leadership roles. Often a shortage in supplies needed to complete project. Struggles in communicating with workers. Constantly changing computer system and terrible inventory protocols.

Good Job

4 day work schedule. Monday thur Thursday (10 hour work shift) with Friday being an option for some Overtime. Workers are some of the best people to get to know.

Pros

Great workers. Benefits are good. Work schedule.

Cons

No opportunity to move up. Management is sometimes not the greatest

Just Don't

While the people who have been with the company for 20+ years in the office make a pretty penny, everyone else makes squat. Assembly workers have to endure insanely hot working conditions, managers with nasty temperaments, fast paced (sometimes near impossible) production numbers to meet, and even those in the factory who have put 15+ years in don't make anything. The company is greedy, unprofessionally run, and needs to start to value those that are its backbone.

Stressful place to work

Lyman Products was a difficult place to work due to micro managing. If you’re an hourly employee they don’t treat you very well. They ask for feed back but never act on it. There is no communication between managment and employees. The health benefits are expensive. Don’t disagree with management. They don’t take critisizume very well because they are always rigjt employees

Pros

10 paid holidays hourly co workers are great people

Cons

No loyalty to their employees

Good Entry Level Position

Great for young professionals who want to gain experience in a sales environment as well as other facets of business. There is a lot of crossover into other departments which aids in gaining experience for resumes and other occupations. Career advancement at this company may be difficult as people who work here tend to like it enough to stay for long periods of time.

Not bad if the business is going strong

When I was there, there were quite a few new products putting out. I was involved in the designing the manufacturing process. At the same time, tried to reduce cost for other existing manufacturing processes.

Pros

No weekends

Cons

need teamwork attitude

great pit stop job

This company has its ups and its down the great thing about this company is they don't wipe you like a race horse as long as you do your job no one really interferes with you. One that that is really frustrating in the pay they don't really start you off at a good pay no monthly incentives and there raise suck it a great pit stop job but not a job you should make home some managers are evil others are just assume

Needs a major overhaul

There seems to be no direction. It is a company in flux. The product itself is great but internally the direction is going in every direction. Let's hope upper management can bring in a better staff and let them do their thing.

Pros

Stable and great products

Cons

Simply put no direction

The only good thing about this company is the people, except that are not fair either to the hard working employees and show no loyalty,recommend not

The hardest part of the job is the diversity of the people. The products are extremely flawed and made overseas. Many issues with quality and low moral

Pros

Good People

Cons

Low moral and do not care about the people or the job they do, look at bottom line

FireArm Industry

Coworkers are all friendly, work at your station till job is completed, if you run out of work, you will go do different dept. and learn how work and produce parts. i work in the mold block area, work on Bridgeport and make black powder bullet molds and do the assembly and packing of molds

Pros

3 Breaks, good Benifits

hard workplace to work

In that time was a hard to work in Lymman, starting with the manager and the supervisor.(Now both were fired) nobody knew what they were doing ,the co-workers were having problems with each other, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job was that you worked 10 hours daily for 4 days and then 3 days off.

Pros

good benefits, time off

Cons

Not leadership, lack of interest in their employees

After 38 years, new management came in, reorganization, Let go

learned the entire manufacturing process 10 hour days, short or no Fridays Systems in place don't always work band aid repairs min 2hrs meetings great people work there

Pros

many good employees, OCCASIONAL job satisfaction, yearly reviews

Cons

lower wages, cut corners. not always loyal.

Fast paced demanding work place

The best part about Lyman is the people that work there. There are many long term people that really do their jobs well. From Shipping to intricate metal work, the workers do their best to serve the customer and that helps the company do well.

Pros

everyone works toward the common goal

Cons

health care is expensive

production and picnics

typical day was steady; learned a little about cnc lathes; management was tough; co workers were exceptional; hardest part of job was when my department shut down;most enjoyable meeting with everyone at break

Pros

picknics%christmas party

Cons

not enough work options

Common questions about Lyman Products

Answered by current and former employees at Lyman Products

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lyman Products. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits