M&T Bank Employee Reviews

Found 1,195 reviews matching the search See all 1,204 reviews
Bank teller
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 19, 2019
Having patience and making sure things are done the right way. You have to make sure that you receive and give out money correctly. Cannot be a cent sort.
My M&T Bank experience
Home Equity Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 19, 2019
I loved working for M&T Bank. I started working there as a Bank Teller. Through the years I grew to actually managing a Banking Branch in Buffalo New York. My last position there was as an Home Equity Specialist. I only left the company when I moved to the Atlanta Georgia area.
Good Starter Position
Service Associate/ Supervisor Teller (Current Employee) –  Camillus, NYMarch 18, 2019
Really enjoy working here but find the compensation to be lacking. Have worked and enjoyed the day to day business but M&T has a policy that locks you into your position for a year. So if you start part time you stay part time for at least a year.
Pros
Employee Banking
Cons
Positions locked
banking
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYMarch 18, 2019
worked parttime in Horseheads office, worked at the drive-thru window, would also help in the lobby teller window if needed. worked a few hours mainly parttime
Managment is horrible
VP (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 16, 2019
Management doesn't have a clue. Quite a few incompetent people in Group and Systems Management levels. Need to clear out the dead wood and the prima donnas. So many don't have a clue what they're doing but have been there long enough that no one does anything about it.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Incompetent managers
Low pay, annual raise usually 25 cents or less.
Online Operations (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYMarch 14, 2019
I worked at the williamsville office for 5 years. I held three different jobs while there. Wages remained stagnant and low for the industry. Not a lot of advancement opportunities. Benefits were ok, but not great. Stressful and micro-managed atmosphere, created a high anxiety environment. They withheld an entire week of our pay to “update the pay schedule” immediately following the holidays, the first week of January. It created financial hardship for many. I was told I would receive the week of withheld pay when I left the bank, guess what didn’t happen? This is just one of many unethical ways employees were treated. I am much happier now with a new employer, where I am making more starting in an entry level role, than I did after working 5 years with M&T.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Low pay, lack of opportunities
Fun at first
Teller in Charge (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYMarch 11, 2019
I slowly started that dislike working there. They would slowly put more and more responsibility on me without increasing my pay. At first it was ok because I wanted experience but I realized I was the only person doing almost everything. I asked for a raise and my manger said nothing she can do about it.
contractor from Kelly Services (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 10, 2019
I work in the mortgage documentation custody office. A typical day at work is going over and auditing thousands of both agency and non-agency loans to make sure everything matches. The managers and work environment is easy going and very nice.
Great company to work for
Business Banking Payment Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 8, 2019
It cares about its employees, great environment to work in. The managers that I reported were knowledgeable, and very happy to coach me in many situations.
Bank is still stuck in the old ways
Mortgage Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMarch 7, 2019
Bank is still stuck in the old ways. I wouldn't recommend this bank as they have a terrible processing method that is no longer utilized in the industry. Processors hold up files and delay clsoings regularly. This is an awful company to work for.
Post closing department for mortgage documents
Post Closing Specialist (Former Employee) –  One fountain plaza , Buffalo NY.March 4, 2019
Required to review documents to ensure files meet state and federal guidelines. Went from manual to digital review of documents. However there was a very contentious office environment. The department manager had a tendency to fire and escort temps, and employees in a very embarrassing mananer.
Pros
Bankers hours, stock options, no phone work, build
Cons
Can be tough work environment
Great
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood Heights, UTMarch 3, 2019
This was a pleasant work experience. The mortgage department has since been closed, however M & T overall is a great company
I learned alot about banks
the culture was fun
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No advancement
Awful place to work - lack of management care
Project Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 25, 2019
I worked at M&T for over 6 years and would not recommend it as a place to work. Each position I was in hired management that didn't care about the current employees or value their input in any way. Ideas were not listened to and completely dismissed if they differed in any way from the manager's, regardless of how your differing opinions was shared.

It's an okay place to get your foot into the workforce but it is not a long time employer.
Great place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEFebruary 20, 2019
Great place to work for. I enjoyed my time with the company during the acquisition of Wilmington Trust bank. It was a fantastic commute and the work environment was warm and welcoming.
M&T Bank
Associate Business Line Trainer (Former Employee) –  Millsboro, DEFebruary 15, 2019
The bank has improved their pay scales, but management is still awful. The benefits are terrible. Breaks are 15 min, but lunch is only 30 min. The company does not care about the employees. The company is all about saving face. There is a big reason they are always hiring....they constantly fire people or they quit because it is not a fair place to work at.
Cons
benefits are terible
Executive assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 14, 2019
M and T has a friendly working environment, It's a great place for anyone looking to start a career in banking. The management values their employees and does a lot to ensure that they are well taken care of and enjoy working at M and T.
Workplace
Senior Teller (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 13, 2019
Ok place to work don't have to work weekends or holidays, stand up all day and wait on your customer, had make your sales goals , cash deposit ,check deposit basic banking needs
Pros
All hoildays off with pay
Cons
Had to make sales and pay
Get experience and move on
Telephone Banker (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 10, 2019
Very stressfull. Some managers care more than others. Very strict policy causes them to lose great employees. Starting pay could be better. Lowest paying bank customer service.
Pros
Great ppl wrk there
Cons
Very stressfull. Not paid enough. Some mamagers care some dont.
Very Stressful Work Environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 8, 2019
Working at M&T Bank is by far the most stressful position I have ever had.

I've been employed in the Wholesale Lockbox department (Baltimore, MD) since 1993 and have witnessed many unprofessional behaviors from the management staff including:

Discrimination
Conflict of Interest
Bullying
Belittling
Retaliation
Pros
Extra weekend hours, camaraderie amongst associates
Cons
Bad management, favoritism
Great company
Loan officer (Former Employee) –  Harford co mdFebruary 4, 2019
I have worked for a number of mortgage companie and banks. M and t was the best of the best. Had I not chosen to retire I would not have left M and T.
Pros
Full line of products
Cons
Prior rep for doing a poor job this has been fixed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at M&T Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight