M&T Bank Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,044 reviews matching the search See all 1,050 reviews
good place to work
Default Reconciliation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Getzville, NYJuly 16, 2018
M&T seriously takes into account the input of its employees and tries year after year to implement changes based off of feedback received. A good place to work and advance your career goals.
I love my job
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  Millsboro, DEJuly 8, 2018
I love being an M&T employee, i feel they value their employees and make a conscience effort to have a good working environment.. i would suggest trying to get into a branch fulltime and not taking a float position! You will have quite a few goals to make to secure your job every year! Floating is hard, ive notoces for my fellow peers! 2 raises already this year!
Pros
Great environment, incentive plan, family oriented
Cons
Goals can be unachievable especially as RB1 depending on ratio of platform and teller, new rb1s are every saturday!
2nd Rate Large Local Bank
Sales (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 5, 2018
Keep in mind that M&T is a 2nd tier bank. Their platforms and systems are antiquated which results in real and unnecessary administrative challenges. Training is described as "mostly self-study", by the Sales VP. I was assigned a mentor who was a remote employee that was largely unavailable for support. Compensation is well below industry average with a flat salary and a "possible" annual bonus, if the unreasonable goals are meet/exceeded. From a pricing standpoint, they really take advantage of long-time commercial customers by selling the relationship. I always had a hard time with that due to my higher ethical standards. Disappointing experience overall!!!
Pros
Reduced Downtown Parking Cost
Cons
Weak Training and Management
Small Company
REGIONAL TRAINER/BANKER (Current Employee) –  PAJune 26, 2018
Not the best at offering opportunities to employees unless they have been there 20 plus years. Unless you are just new to banking you will be frustrated with the old programming and antiquated banking systems.
To many systems that don't interface and technology is not the best for client online or interactions.
Pros
Offers only a handful of products
Cons
very bad technology based company
bad experience
Process standard teller transactions (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 25, 2018
awful people work with, bad customer service, always wait time, unhappy customer, the branches is always dirty and dusty, i would never come back to M&T bank i will tell people about my experince
Nice place to work
Banking Officer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 24, 2018
M&T is what you make of it. Personally, I think it is a good place to work. Like any company you can look at, there's going to be managers who are good and bad. There is opportunity here. The pay is the biggest drawback but they do make up for it in other aspects.
Pros
Accessibility of upper management
Cons
compensation is poor
Happy life and great work
Fraud Analyst, Credit Card Services (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 24, 2018
M&T provides a great work/life balance! They understand life happens. Managers are on site or remotely to help anytime, they listen and really work as team. It was the best team I have worked for.
Lots of money counting
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Jamesville, NYJune 21, 2018
A good small town feel. You get to know your customers. A lot of rules and regulations to hold up daily for very little pay. Get ready to count money over and over all day long.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Very little pay for the responsibility
Competitive workplace
Relationship Banker (Former Employee) –  Chatham, NJJune 21, 2018
Great training resources for employees and loves to advance employees and promote within company.
Heavily pressured into cross selling and competitive atmosphere.
Extremely high deductibles for health benefits
Banking atmosphere
Collections and Recovery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Getzville, NYJune 20, 2018
Good bank to work for. Benefits are good, healthcare, dental and vision. Also a 401k.
In my position was allowed to set a flexible schedule and to work independently.
Pros
Work independently.
Cons
Depends on who you know to get transfer to another position.
Senior Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYJune 19, 2018
I was in the Mortgage customer service department. Most times it was extremely busy. Right before I left though, the call volume had dropped quite a bit.

When calls were not coming in we were allowed to read at ourdesks
Can be a nice job for college students
Teller (Former Employee) –  Catonsville, MDJune 18, 2018
I loved my job the first year but the following year my location, the busiest location in the region became ridiculously understaffed. We lost a teller manager & the commercial manager within 2 months. And I watched my general manager work herself to near death trying to keep the branch operating. Only a few months after losing those managers, the our general manager had an unexpected medical leave & parallel to all of this our team of what should've been 12 tellers was down to 4. At that point, I had the most seniority as a teller & my part time schedule was pushed way beyond its limit. If the stress of being short staffed wasn't so bad, I would've stayed at M&T at least for another year or two until I completed my bachelors degree.
Not for me
Teller (Former Employee) –  York, PAJune 18, 2018
I know some people enjoyed it, but it was not for me. There are so many security procedures that it was overwhelming. But a good job for some people.
Poor Management and Pay
Early Stage Credit Counselor (Former Employee) –  Millsboro, DEJune 17, 2018
This company is only concerned with the bottom line and they do not care about the well being of their employees at all. I quit because the job became too stressful and when I tried to apply for FMLA it was approved even though I ended up in the hospital anyway.
Pins and needles
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYJune 17, 2018
Stressful and not understanding at all. Once they get to management level forget where they came from . The pay is great and the co workers are terrfic.
Pros
Oid days and pay
Cons
Treat you badly
Lacking Continued Value
Cost Accountant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 16, 2018
It was nice in the beginning working for M & T. As the years progress, they seem to value you less and less. The management team and human resources do not position people to succeed. The raises are very small yet the company makes record profits.
Great place to learn about the banking industry
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJune 15, 2018
A good place to get training and learn about the banking industry. The work is fast paced and can be stressful but it is a good bank that takes care of its employees as well as its customers.
Pros
fixed hours and work is predictable
Cons
work can get stressfull at times
Stressful
Teller (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 13, 2018
You have goals lots of goals as a teller. You making the goals benefits the branch managers pay check. They get Bonuses 4 times a year. You will be very very stress and nervous a teller goals, robberies and balancing. You will have night mares about getting fired because you didn't balance correctly.
great place to work
md or specA (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYJune 10, 2018
good place to work. they take care of their employees. love giving out gifts. and a family atmosphere with a nice team effort. good pay and flexible schedules
It is okay
Fraud Analyst (Current Employee) –  Millsboro, DEJune 10, 2018
Just mindless work really, good or bad depending on the person. You can go in and do you work. the worst part is dealing with customers. the bank is okay to work with as they really do not get in your way.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at M&T Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss