M&T Bank Employee Reviews

Found 1,168 reviews matching the search See all 1,175 reviews
Great for the City/ Minimal Opportunities
Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 18, 2018
Leadership continues to not understand the role of Risk Management in an organization; however, the change to a new CRO more than a year ago was a positive step. There is minimal promotion within the non-BSA compliance area. A confusing practice is transferring employees into positions they are not qualified for versus promoting internally. Aside from lack of promotions, there are no advancement opportunities in general and monetary incentives are rare. Therefore, there is no reason to meet and exceed outlined objectives. Compliance continues to suffer unreasonable promises made by leadership resulting in low employee morale. Some employees have worked a decade (me) or more at M&T without promotion or competitive advancement in salary.

The positive- employees are great folks and most strive to create positive relationships. M&T is invested in its communities. Management is empathetic and supportive on a personal level.

In summary- a decent place to work; however, do not expect to make money or advance your career.
M&T is a nice place to work if it wasn't for some of there rules
Online Banking/Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Millsboro, DE 19966January 8, 2019
I enjoyed working at M&T I worked in the technical support department. We did regular banking as well as technical support. The bad thing about that is your calls are score.and if you don't tell someone how to reset there password on every single call you fail that scoring, and that might not seem to be a problem but if you have a customer calling in for there balance on there account and they hang up before you can tell them how to reset there password you fail that call, 3 failed calls you fail that month, 1st month failed calls is verbal warning, 2nd failed month is a write up, third failed month you are terminated, with the hundreds of calls that come in every day it is very easy to fail a call for not telling someone how to reset there password.
Pros
good pay, and benefits
Cons
how they score calls and failing calls it's easy to lose your job
Way below the industry average for paying employees
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 3, 2018
If you want to get compensated for your job in things other than pay, like silly thank yous for just doing your job that don't amount to anything, and being asked to contribute to charities you probably qualify for because they don't pay you well then this is the place for you.
Management is micromanaging, once you're in a spot, regardless of your education or background, you are basically stuck there. I applied to get my foot in the door at a position lower than my experience and education level and am railroaded at every turn, even when it comes to learning new responsibilities within my job title. Managers talk down to employees, praise the normal business practices of professionally written emails as if no one knows how to do it, and are extremely cliquey.

Employees that have been there for 20 plus years with horrible work ethics are praised and not disciplined, and they don't work to improve their skills.

Almost everyone on my floor has to work a second job to make ends meet.
Pros
pto
Cons
pay, management, cost of healthcare benefits and options
Advancement lacks outside out Buffalo
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 1, 2018
Branch Banking offers an opportunity to excel. However corporate advancement and higher pay is very limited outside of Buffalo, NY. They are good for job security and acquisitions. They are not the best at being the first or innovators or technology.
Pros
Ppl you work with, Training
Cons
Salary increases are very small each year, branch sales goals are brutal, management can be out of touch with reality and safety during bad weather months
M&T is a good company except for there call rating system
Online Banking Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Millsboro, DEJuly 31, 2018
I liked working for M&T except call rating if you don't tell a customer how to reset password every time you fail the call even if all a customer wants is to know there balance of there account. 3 failed calls you fail for the month. first month failed call you get coaching, second failed calls for the month you get written up, third failed calls for the month you get a final, fourth failed call you get terminated it's a very unfair rating system because a customer wanting to know there balance does not want you telling them how to reset there online password when it has nothing to do with what they are calling about.
Pros
good pay, good benefits, nice work environment
Cons
unfair call rating, and unreasonable upper management
2nd Rate Large Local Bank
Sales (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 5, 2018
Keep in mind that M&T is a 2nd tier bank. Their platforms and systems are antiquated which results in real and unnecessary administrative challenges. Training is described as "mostly self-study", by the Sales VP. I was assigned a mentor who was a remote employee that was largely unavailable for support. Compensation is well below industry average with a flat salary and a "possible" annual bonus, if the unreasonable goals are meet/exceeded. From a pricing standpoint, they really take advantage of long-time commercial customers by selling the relationship. I always had a hard time with that due to my higher ethical standards. Disappointing experience overall!!!
Pros
Reduced Downtown Parking Cost
Cons
Weak Training and Management
Commercial Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 27, 2018
Under the right management, M&T Bank is a great company to work for. The company however, needs to improve their compensation structure and as well their technology to stay head to head with their competitors.
Pros
Stable/Reputable
Cons
Job structure for advancements
A good place to start a career, but no job security.
Consumer Lending Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 16, 2018
Great place to work under previous CEO.
Recently the environment and culture changed.
A good place to start a career.
Lots of opportunities to learn.
Job security is an area for improvement.
Pros
Comparable Compensation and Benefits
Cons
Stressful and cut-throat environment
I love my job
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  Millsboro, DEJuly 8, 2018
I love being an M&T employee, i feel they value their employees and make a conscience effort to have a good working environment.. i would suggest trying to get into a branch fulltime and not taking a float position! You will have quite a few goals to make to secure your job every year! Floating is hard, ive notoces for my fellow peers! 2 raises already this year!
Pros
Great environment, incentive plan, family oriented
Cons
Goals can be unachievable especially as RB1 depending on ratio of platform and teller, new rb1s are every saturday!
Great Place to Work
Product Specialist, Outbound Sales (Current Employee) –  Millsboro, DESeptember 24, 2018
Excellent management team, focus on employee productivity and moral. Convenient location to downstate DE, friendly people who care to do the best job possible for the benefit of the customer.
Pros
Well managed company with high integrity
Cons
Rigid structure, compensation could be better
easy
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 29, 2018
m&t bank is a bank with relax culture. the bank is still on the rise so there are much more greater improvements to come. the bank was first known as HCSB
Pros
vacation days and health benefits
Cons
salary and job advancement
Great place
Benefits & Wellness Analyst/Banking Officer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 10, 2018
Great work life balance, outstanding benefits in healthcare and 401(k) match. Work accomodations working from home, open environment; highly regards employees
Great people
Relationship Banker II (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYSeptember 24, 2018
Pay at the bank really needs to be worked on, compensation very low. However that being said the culture is great, the people who work there really become family. Health Benefits are expensive because the company really does not spend money. They look out for the customer though, which is great.
Non competitive compensation and a CYA environment
Relationship Banker I (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 23, 2018
I love working for this company because I have an amazing manager, but I find that rare. Compensation is poor and you can't trust anyone. I've seen good people thrown under the bus by their managers and coworkers, so you need to go in with a cover your butt attitude. There seems to be high turn over, which I believe is mostly due to compensation. Hours are great, benefits okay (they give you paid volunteer hours to help out your community!), but they need to seriously evaluate some of their staff.
Pros
Good hours, paid volunteering, cares about community
Cons
Compensation, difficult management, every man for himself
They give you the tools. You drive your own career.
Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 24, 2018
Excellent management and resource availability. Compensation is lower than industry average. Great work environment with flex days, good vacation, and a positive corporate culture.
Slow in investment in Technology
Vice President, Head of Management Accounting (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 5, 2019
Great benefits and care for the well being of employees. However the company is run very siloed and not much cross or interdisciplinary cooperation. Pay is below market for most positions.
Community involvemed large bank with small bank feel
Senior Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Bethel, CTSeptember 11, 2018
Great benefits offered as well as time off. Feels like a local bank but has larger footprint. Conversion of other Banks did not provide enough training. New hired do not get long enough time training.
Pros
Travel time, travel meals, and milage are covered.
Cons
Poor training length
Fun place with stress.
Relationship Manager II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2018
I loved working for M&T. Did not want to leave, but due to lack of advancement opportunities I had to quit. I was one of the top producer In the market ,won most of the challenges and contest but was not considered for even 1 promotion in 3.5 yrs. upper management hires people externally in spite of having eligible internal employee. They are ready to go through 3-6 months of training with new people but do not intend to train own employee for may be 2 weeks for next management position. My being best in my position became my nemesis. Otherwise company is ethical.
Pros
Good culture and very ethical
Cons
Short staff, bad incentive plans
My 2nd banking career
TELLER/LEAD TELLER (Former Employee) –  Monsey, NYDecember 29, 2018
Working at M&T was a great experience my manager was a very caring person and I respected him dearly for that .Workers were good some were in controllable rude.
Pros
Short Lunches
Cons
Health benefits
Great company but poor compensation practices
PORTFOLIO MANAGER (Current Employee) –  MarylandJuly 25, 2018
Overall I like the company and they will work to develop you for promotion however their compensation practices leave something to be desired. Being advanced from within the company you consistently get offered lower wages than someone that is hired from outside the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at M&T Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight