M&T Bank Employee Reviews

Found 1,136 reviews matching the search See all 1,143 reviews
Work orientated but fun and not stressful
Senior Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 20, 2018
M&T Bank is a good company to work for. I had plenty of freedom to do my job, there was no micro management within being an analyst. Management was near by and very supportive when issues arose.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Repetitiveness
Not like it seems
Senior Auditor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 19, 2018
Poor Management and Management is not held accountable. Employee development is not encouraged for everyone. When asked for feedback management was unable to provide any feedback.
Great working environment, but cut-throat policies re contractors
Mainframe COBOL Developer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 19, 2018
Thought I was doing a good job, but then one day I was informed my "contract would not be extended" beyond its original term. No warning. Other than that, it was an enjoyable place to work; Buffalo is a great town.
Pros
Job insecurity
Cons
Nit-picking micro-manager
Good Job
Teller (Former Employee) –  Fawn Grove, PANovember 15, 2018
I liked working for M & T Bank , because it was close to home and I knew a majority of the customers from the surrounding neighborhoods. I felt comfortable working there, the manager was very helpful and so were my co-workers.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Branch Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Milford, NJNovember 15, 2018
I enjoyed working for M&T Bank, but I moved out of state so I was no longer able to work there. It was a great place to work. The job wasn't too stressful, and the people there were great. It was a little too slow for me, but I would have continued to work there if I didn't move.
Goodcexp
Relationship Banker 1 (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYNovember 15, 2018
It was a very good experience working for M&T Bank I was in a car center at one time that I went from the call center to the branch as a relationship Banker one it was a good experience
Great Organization
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 15, 2018
Great organization to work for. Very stable company with an upper management team that takes great concern in steering the company in the positive direction.
I enjoyed working at M & T Bank but the commute to Baltimore became difficult.
Teller 1 (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 12, 2018
M&T was a great place to work with friendly co-workers and professional managers but they required the float staff to go from only having to work 6 months in Baltimore to working 1 year in Baltimore and the commute was a challenge.
Pros
Great atmosphere.
Cons
Long commute.
Great place
Benefits & Wellness Analyst/Banking Officer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 10, 2018
Great work life balance, outstanding benefits in healthcare and 401(k) match. Work accomodations working from home, open environment; highly regards employees
Good learning experience
Head teller (Current Employee) –  Kensington, MD 20895November 7, 2018
Slow paced environment, good learning experience with people who already have customer service expirience. The management isn't really stable. Hardest part was making sure you are following all procedures because there is a lot of fraud that goes on. Employees treat each other like family and always help improve each other which was great.
Pros
Sitting down, not a fast paced job
Cons
gets boring
Working with Customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Whiting, NJNovember 7, 2018
My day would start taking care of my customers and what they need for the day. I learned new tasks and working with a financial advisor. Management was there to help when needed and I enjoyed working with my co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job is taking care of my customers and being there for them and taking care of their needs
Pros
free checking
Cons
short lunch
Excellent work experience
Net Developer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 6, 2018
M and T proved to be a pleasant and rewarding place to work. Workmates and environment pleasant and productive. Project was challenging and rewarding.
Micromanaged at every turn
Relationship Banker I (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 2, 2018
I work at M&T bank currently as a relationship banker I. I am micromanaged at every single opportunity and when I make a small mistake I am brought to the office wherein I am condescended and berated and threatened. I know of other people that work for the bank at different branches and LOVE it, so maybe I just got shafted with a bad branch. My manager has a wildly inappropriate relationship with one of his employees and many people think so. Employees who aren’t technically management will get you in trouble by telling on you. Since I started working here I’ve been approached several times to be reprimanded for my feelings towards the bank which shows me that they really don’t care if it’s “the best place their employees ever work,” they only care about whether or not you’re spreading rumors about the bank. They’ve expressed to me outright that the bank “hates corporate climbers,” meaning they’d rather stick you in one position for life than bother to help you with career advancement. I wouldn’t recommend M&T to anyone who isn’t a brown-noser.
Pros
Co-workers are helpful and friendly.
Cons
Managers are very fake.
Advancement lacks outside out Buffalo
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 1, 2018
Branch Banking offers an opportunity to excel. However corporate advancement and higher pay is very limited outside of Buffalo, NY. They are good for job security and acquisitions. They are not the best at being the first or innovators or technology.
Pros
Ppl you work with, Training
Cons
Salary increases are very small each year, branch sales goals are brutal, management can be out of touch with reality and safety during bad weather months
people are not real to this company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  United StatesOctober 30, 2018
Very long career with the company ended with termination for "failure to meet operational expectations....resulting from poor equipment and technology issues..company has a habit of putting the cart before the horse and when that causes problems for the staff, work arounds are created which just add more stress. No consideration or coaching were given to a long time employee who received regular successful reviews and annual increases. People are not real to this company anymore in spite of the corporate motto that M&T wishes to be the best bank customers ever use, and the best place employees ever work.....do not believe it.
Pros
hours were good
Cons
short staffing, high deductables on insurance, lack of internal communication
easy
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 29, 2018
m&t bank is a bank with relax culture. the bank is still on the rise so there are much more greater improvements to come. the bank was first known as HCSB
Pros
vacation days and health benefits
Cons
salary and job advancement
Ok
Relationship Banker II (Current Employee) –  Berwick, PAOctober 29, 2018
The hours for work/life balance are good. The pay for me is very good but I do not like the sales push. Constantly questioning where my sales goals are instead of really following the motto of finding out what's important to the customer.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
too much sales push
Productive place to work
Fraud Analyst - Fraud Services (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 28, 2018
Great place to work. A lot of good employees and managers. Working for M&T Bank was great because it was a local banking company and very diverse with the opportunity to meet people from all walks of life.
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 25, 2018
Good place to work. I would recommend if you in the Buffalo area. Culture is really good and there is a nice work / life balance. The management team works hard.
productive
Telephone Banking Representative (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 25, 2018
great place to work. i love being there. the management helps you out to have a career. I will always recommend m&t bank to friends and family. i am happy to be there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at M&T Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight