M.L. Chartier

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment

Wrong person to run supervision

Haveing a knuckle head electrician run a site is a bad idea.other than that descent owner nice equipment ,nice hours good place to work .didnt let u know insurance wld cancel at end of year.

Low morale and they wonder why. Don't fall for there lies. Upper management has God like mentality and is a complete cancer to the company.

President, VP, and bosses daughter and son in law will make every part of your job completely miserable. They have a God like mentality. HR is a complete joke, all upper management is friends of presidents daughter. They will tell you you are the manager but in reality they make you do things you completely disagree with and when you speak your concerns they fire you.

Pros

Company vehicle

Cons

Pay, culture, they expect you to be dedicated to them over your family.

Driver

Trucks look nice. Dont work properly. Mechanic blames driver when there's an issue. Moving the dirt is far more important than family in their eyes. They want you to be married to work while poorly compensating you. Make you wait 1 full year to get holiday pay. Lots of issues. Ok job at best till something comes thru

Pros

Close to home

Cons

Hours. Pay. Benefits. Trucks.

Nice equitment

They agreed on issues of mine such as, time off in the summer to be with my children. They told me they didn't lay off in the winter, that was a lie they do. They told me whatever I wanted to hear, just to get me behind the wheel. Then when it came time for me to take that time off, they had a problem with that and gave me a hard time. Typical of most trucking companies.

Pros

Nice equitment

Cons

Not trustworthy

Best Job I Have Ever Had

I’ll start things off saying I have had little to no experience with infrastructure needs related to crude oil/electrical sub station work/natural gas installment/pipeline reform. I was properly trained for all of these scopes of work starting here at ML Chartier as a laborer. With only a high school diploma I worked my way up from being a laborer to an CDL-A Truck driver with all endorsements and can now operate equipment. My life and most others have improved while beginning our careers here at ML Chartier. Working at this Environmental/Excavation company brings huge benefits as a union 1075 company with vacation bonuses/fully paid for insurance/pension program. You are handed all tools to succeed when you come to work at this company and all depends what you do with them. This company gives you back what you put in. You can be a laborer the rest of your life or increase your pay with licenses/certifications all depending on your choices. My life has only benefited from working at this company giving you great experience and knowledge of the infrastructure community. Working here makes you an essential part of the company’s that keep Michigan moving. The pay is competitive and the work isn’t routine; doing something different every day and seeing different parts of Michigan. All in all working here can be a life long employee or take the knowledge you learn from here to move on to other aspirations. There’s no down side to working at ML Chartier.

Pros

Over Time/Paid for Insurance/Competitive pay

Cons

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Truly incomparable to any other company

● OverallEverything about this company amazes me. The atmosphere, the equipment, unbeatable benefits, the teaching of leadership, the opportunity for growth, the feeling of your employer not only caring about you, but your family as well. Just everything. It’s so comfortable to work here. You’re not just another worker, this place will truly take you as the individual in which you deserved to be treated. Everyone works together and the jobs get done. There’s many benefits for families, whether it’s the insurance or the family events that this place plans prestigiously to insure everyone has a good time. I’m thankful to work for such an amazing company and I hope I get to continue working here for a very long time.

Pros

Benefits, wages, management, top notch facilities, clean cut equipment and trucks, continuous encouragement and so much more.

Cons

The only con is that this company is truly under appreciated!

My employer gives me encouragement to succeed

I have been with ML Chartier for a long time now and have seen the company grow. It is one of the few companies where you can start in an entry level position and be given the courage, support and knowledge to advance to higher positions. Throughout my employment with Chartier I have had good and bad things happen in my life. The Chartier family congratulates you in the good times and holds your hand in the bad times. I, with out a doubt, consider my fellow employees my true friends.

Pros

Able to advance at your own pace, great benefits, safe working environment and amazing people!

Cons

happy and fun work environment with great people

The team is great at ML Chartier. The office staff and crews are both great people to be around. They do understand family issues, like when daycare closes or kids get sick.

Do yourself a favor and find somewhere else to work

This company needs an ego check and fast, the entire management thinks it's a privilege to work here, like they're doing you a favor by allowing you to work for them. You have to work more hours to make up for the low wages they pay everyone... laborers, operators, drivers. If you speak up about anything to management, you put a target on your back and they will find a way to make your life hard so you want to leave. The turn over rate is extremely high and they have no problem going around things to get the job done, illegal or not.YOU WILL NOT BE MAKING THE 100K+ THAT THEY PROMOTE FOR THE APPRENTICESHIP.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Low wages, long hours, poor management

What a joke

I was a laborer at ML Chartier in Webberville. I was told when I hired in that they would help with obtaining a CDL and train for equipment operation. What actually happened was I work very hard for them and took emergency response calls when I got them after learn you get base pay and gift card if you did the most ER calls that month. But they always called the same people for ER calls so they always won the gift card. within the first month I had my CDL permit and had to pull teeth for the operators to let me drive and they would always complain when I did. after having my CDL permit for 5 mo I asked them if they would pay for me to take my test. They said no we wont pay for it (even though they said they would when I hired in) but we will let you use the truck. I was able to practice my backing maneuvers one time and inevitably failed my test at shelling out 200 for the test and another 100$ for someone to go with me because the managers had better things to do they didn't want me to practice in the yard on weekend or after hours then was fired a week later because I wanted to move up in the company to be a truck driver. They will make you clean containers without having the confined space training and certification. A few times they forced me to work a 20+ hour day all to be back at work at 5-6 am. I do have to say it the people at the Webberville location was a very close family type and enjoyed working with 99% of the people there. That being said they played the favorites game hardcore. All in all I would not recommend anyone working there.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at M.L. Chartier?

Clean,neat ,well set up.

A nice clean environment. Very nice equipment. Well maintained and very clean. The owner bought a lot of free lunches. Very fast paced ,everyone worked a lot of hours with a lot of travel required.

Pros

Clean, neat, organized

Cons

Pay and some of the fellow employees were obnoxious

boring job with almost nothing to do the majority of the day

I had work for about an hour and a half each day and then wait for the phone to ring. I was asked to "pad" the invoices, which I am not personally comfortable with. I was let go after 10 months with the statement "we are not sure you are the right fit" I was happy to go and find employment where I did more than sit and lie on invoices.

Pros

good pay, good benefits.

Cons

falsifying invoices was expected.

Lots of out of town jobs...not a good balance for family

This job does not balance work with family very well, but you can get lots of hours. Management can be difficult, but most of the co-workers are alright. Took confined space training, got experience driving truck, and learned Hydro X.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at M.L. Chartier. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8