MAA Employee Reviews

Worst company
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 26, 2018
 I did not quit Maa, I quit management. The incompetent person in charge has no idea what it takes to do the job you are doing . So her answers to any problem is just get it done. Over worked wored about painting all apartments in house and cleaning Carpet being watched for everything you do no help from upper management no Corporate number to call when having trouble. Enclave Manager is the worst AGAIN DO NOT WORK HER
Best Company Ever!
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 4, 2018
I have worked for several management companies in my career and MAA is the absolute best. The company culture and the executive leadership team are down-to-earth and genuine. The only negative about my particular market was that MAA wasn't expanding so there wasn't an opportunity to advance; but if I had been able to relocate I think I could have stayed with them forever!
Good job, very strict with guidelines and rules. Not much room for advancement
Property Manager for Alamo Ranch Apartments (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 18, 2018
This was a great job but if you are looking to move up you may have to look elsewhere. The pay was fair but on the low end of the scale however the benefits provided were great. My manager was not overly encouraging but she did not micromanage.
Pros
good benefits, stable environment, great properties that are well kept, good budgets that are attainable
Cons
lack of advancement or growth opportunity
Terrible place dont belive anything said yo you
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Panama city beachAugust 14, 2018
First I did not quit Maa, I quit management. The incompetent person in charge has no idea what it takes to do the job you are applying for. So her answers to any problem is just get it done. But it's three in the afternoon and that's a 6 hour job. No clue. You will be overworked,underpayed, talked down too,talked behind your back. Everything you do is micromanaged. Do not work here. DO NOT WORK HERE if you have a mortal compass avoid this place. The on call part of the job sucks because of poor management there was no preventive maintenance done because on call does not affect management only you. Picking up trash will be your#1 job everyday ,3-4 hours everyday, you will do very little building maintenance. AGAIN DO NOT WORK HERE.
Pros
Learned alot from maintenance supervisor liked most of the people i worked with
Cons
Poor management, low pay, on call, overworked
Great Company
Leasing & Marketing Professional (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 7, 2018
The pay needs to become competitive. The company had great options to choose from in the benefits department but lack in pay. Lots of companies pay dollars more and better commission as well. But they have amazing culture and management is amazing.
Pros
Culture, benefits, people
Cons
Pay
wonderful company to work for
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALJune 8, 2018
MAA provides every employee with sufficient training, and have a strong support system in place. I would still be working for this company if they were in the area that i had relocated to
Pros
Too many to list
Cons
none at all
Working with Grant Thornton and very good group of people, reconciling the monthly invoices.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Linthicum Heights, MDApril 23, 2018
Good benefits from words of mouth. Have good vision and medical benefits and not sure about stock options and 401K. A contractor and no benefits. Very good working environment. Nice working relationship and very good partnership for monthly activities.
Pros
Love the work environment very good group to work with.
Cons
Commute to far from home, close to Washington DC and always issues with Baltimore BWI
Loved This
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Fleming Island, FLApril 20, 2018
I lived it. I really liked Leasing. I found that I loved doing the tours and working with new residents. Is definitely something I would like to do again.
Pros
Training and Discounts
Good company to work for
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 18, 2018
I am trying to get back with MAA, There was an issues with the maintenance supervisor, he spoke mostly Spanish which made me uncomfortable. He was also very new at being a supervisor.
Pros
great area to work in
Cons
had to paint and clean carpet.
Terrific place to work
Manager of ATM Operation (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAApril 10, 2018
Exceptional Opportunity, terrific people, great benefits, nice area, family culture. This is a new startup with great opportunities to perform different types of work each day. Never boring always something new and exciting.
Pros
People, the challenge of each day.
Cons
So fun, you want to keep going
Completely unauthentic. The countenance of their management team is brilliantly deceptive.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, VAApril 6, 2018
I started with maa this year and I didn’t even get 90 days of employment. I came to this company with outstanding recommendations. They created a facade
Pros
None if there constantly looking for a scape goat!
Cons
Cutthroat culture
Innovative Company
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 27, 2018
Constantly working on making things better for the company. Company is very clear about policies and procedures to set guidelines for success. Expects a lot from employees and has a high level of expectation but does not recognize a comparable salary to find the right employees.
Benefits
Cons
Job/Security Advancement
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 26, 2018
Great place to work looking for more...closer to homeTake a minute to review MAA.
About your reviews:
NEVER included with your job applications
Posted anonymously on Indeed
Very Nice
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 19, 2018
Typical day at work consist of dealinmg with Lead prospects, Filing, walking vacants and reviewing files.

I've learned how to actual Market for my properties, learned how to operate Lead 2 Lead for incoming Prospects.

The Hardest part of my job is nothing, I don't see any part of my responsibilities or tasks to be deemed hard.

Best part of my job is helping people find their New place to call home.
Pros
Cons
The Drive to and back from work.
Bad company culture
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 18, 2018
MAA does everything it can to cut costs. That includes compromising resident satisfaction and doing absolutely nothing for its employees.

They create a horrible culture by pitting employees against each other and lie constantly to residents and employees.

They took away employee stock purchase plan and pay below market for twice as much work.
Pros
Cons
leadership is non existent from the top down, have to lie to residents and be known for working for the worst apartment company in the industry
Good company in general but work under staffed
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  DuluthFebruary 13, 2018
High work load and under staffing don't make for good work life balance. Was not easy to use vacation time. Hopefully this will change in the future. Commission was good though.
Leasing consultant
Leasing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 27, 2018
I am a leasing consultant making $14.75. I have been with the company 6 months. I started off making $14.50. they also have a star sales club where you make a certain amount of leases a year (differs by property) and your commission increases from $80 a lease to $100 a lease. I average 8 leases a month. Which translated into $3840 in just commission for my first 6 months. I have awesome team and I am the only leasing consultant. My property manager and assistant manager always have my back and when I am struggling to close a deal they help me. I don't have too many cons because I am still new. But I will say is that it is a lot of paperwork for new leases, roommate change overs are popular at my property so more paperwork, and lots of packages come to the office because we don't have parcel pending yet. My property manager was promoted so this company does promote people who show how bad they want it.
Pros
Property does real good then free food and closed on Sundays. My staff, and good pay
Cons
Tons of paperwork
It is a great company to work for and very structured.
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bedford, TXJanuary 26, 2018
The company was great for growth and had structure, but the pay was a little on the low side.

I would have loved to stay, but found there to be more money for my same position elsewhere.

They do recognize you for your hard work and dedication and room for growth.
Great company!
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 15, 2018
Advancement opportunities
Great culture
Cares for employees
Beautiful properties
Solid communication with corporate when needed
Productive on the job training
Terrible Environment
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 5, 2017
Terrible management. Toxic environment. Constantly harassed by managment. Micro manages, promises advancement when it doesnt exist. Couldnt have a friendly conversation with coworkers without getting yelled at. There was no talking allowed.

I wanted to advance but with how terrible it was managed I moved on to another company.

Do yourself a favor, read the reviews before considering filling out an application.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MAA. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight