Macalester College Employee Reviews

Hard to Top
Reservations/Information Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 4, 2018
Working as an information/reservations desk assistant at Macalester College has been one of my most fulfilling professional experiences so far. In a typical day I interact with many different types of customers with many different types of needs - making the job exciting and challenging in terms of problem solving. The workplace culture is respectful and understanding, we all look out for each other as fellow students. Management was amazing - my supervisor was always there when I needed help, but gave me plenty of space to self-start projects and self direct. I would recommend this position to anyone who is a motivated individual that enjoys helping people.
Pros
Helping customers, workplace culture, team-oriented
Cons
Low pay
Interesting and unique students
Coach (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 25, 2018
The students here are very quirky, smart and globally conscious. It is an extremely liberal place to work. Professors are educated and knowledgeable.
Work Study was Valuable But Not Very Stimulating
Access Information and Research Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 22, 2018
I worked in the library technical services department - I had expected it would be intellectually fulfilling but was instead almost all processing. My manager was very accommodating which I appreciated, but overall the position was not a good fit for me.
Good place to work, great benifits
Department Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 17, 2018
Macalester College offers the opportunity to learn and use many office skills, work with a diverse staff and student population, and they offer a great benefit package to all staff.
best student employment
Help Desk Consultant 2.1 (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 9, 2018
This is the best place you could find yourself employed through student employment. The boss is sweet. You can get homework done, while also learning real skills.
summer job
Alumni Relations Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 7, 2018
people are nice, relaxed atmosphere, twin cities is a good place to live as a young adult, and everyone is highly qualified and super nice, mostly just sitting around and doing little tasks
Macalester
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 31, 2018
Stressful, unsanitary, poor management, situations people shouldn't have to face schedules too inconstant. No room for advancement or moving up in the company.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
short breaks, bad management
Great Atmosphere
Assistant Men's and Women's Swim Coach (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 22, 2018
Macalester College is an amazing place to work. If I was not moving out of state I would have loved to remain there for a while. Students, staff, and faculty are all incredibly amazing and friendly, and make everyone feel welcome and a part of the community.
Great Opportunity
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJanuary 14, 2018
The institution has an overall focus on global diversity. It seeks to create and maintain an environment that is welcoming to all. It enhances and stimulates professional growth and development.
Pros
Great Place
Cons
cold weather
One of the best schools in the country to work for.
Visiting Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJanuary 10, 2018
I worked at Macalester for three years and can only sing the accolades of the students, faculty, staff, and administration. It is one of the best liberal arts schools in the country for a reason: the on-campus culture.
Was an easygoing place until about 2011
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 20, 2017
A great place to work until 2011 when they fired people in Human Resources including the head. Then they hired 2 who transformed the campus into a business like, cold hearted place where people began getting fired or let go for no reason.
Pros
Campus is like a small town. Easy to find place to eat and there is even a post office with no line.
Cons
No raises for several years.
Employees were the best at Macalester
HRIS/Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 11, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was the great people dedicated to educating the young people and the high achievement expected from the students - they were amazing and focused.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of respect from my manager, though a very nice person - had very weak management skills.

I learned how to be a better manager and to listen to my employees.
Pros
appreciation lunches to the admin staff - great PTO policy
Good place to work at
Concert Hall Sound & Stage Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 25, 2017
It has a relaxing, friendly, and hospitable environment. People are nice and encouraging. It was a great learning opportunity for me as well. I can't think of anything bad about the experience here.
Good Student Employment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 24, 2017
Worked as a lab assistant and teaching assistant while a student at Macalester. The pay and hours were decent and accommodated a student schedule, but there was little room for "advancement" per say, and no benefits were offered, as I was a student employee.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJuly 12, 2017
Great place to work just needed a change in career. Felt as though I needed something more. I enjoyed my job but dish washing was not where I saw myself in the future.
Great environment to work in.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 13, 2017
Healthy and fun environment to work in. The students and faculty are very great to work with. Everyone is helpful and will give you many opportunities to pursue your goals.
Excellent place to work as student or otherwise
Front Desk/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 9, 2017
I currently work at Macalester College as a part of my work study and they are extremely understanding and accommodating. I currently hold two positions with Macalester and can split my hours and by extension my award between them however works for me.
A great work environment with fantastic benefits
Assistant Director of Admissions (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 5, 2017
The people are Macalester College are fantastic. The benefits provided such as retirement and the gym facilities are excellent. The Admissions department has a great team who are easy to collaborate with. The work is fast paced and cyclical.
Productive and fun with great environment
Researcher (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJune 5, 2017
This is an opportunity offered by the school for its students. For my PI, we learned how to manage a lab, synthesize compounds, and conduct a general analysis of these compounds to prove what we made. There is always something to do but your coworkers are generally friendly and the school staff are always supportive.
Great College
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 19, 2017
Amazing College, lots of amazing professors, learned a lot through this experience. Would highly recommend this college if you are looking for a great education!