MacNeal Hospital Employee Reviews

Very busy, very short staffed
Radiology (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILOctober 7, 2018
This place is a very busy facility with minimal staffing. It can be very stressful at times, with not much help from high up. The people who do work here together are sort of a "band of brothers" who all work well together because we all basically on our own. Or at least that is how we all feel.

Hardest part of the job is seeing patients that have to wait hours for exams due to the fact we are overwhelmed with patients, exams are not ordered appropriately, which in turns makes very sick people wait very long wait times.

Some of the physicians here are very rude and mean to the techs, nurses.
not good at all
greeter and security (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, IL 60402September 11, 2018
management was and is horrible its always understaffed and they never have set days off you never know when the next day off was. the pay is horrible you are doing everyone else's job on top of your own.
I loved what i did . It was just that my department was badly managed.
Transporter in the E.R department/ security (Former Employee) –  Berwyn Il.September 6, 2018
I was part of a small understaffed team given the task of making sure everything and everyone was secure in the hospital. There was no open door policy for employees to go discuss how to better certain situations in order to be more productive and for it to be a safer work environment. I appreciated all my fellow guards and all they did with what we had . Tremendous team.
Pros
My fellow guards
Cons
Poor management
Bad Management
Patient Acess Representative III (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILAugust 2, 2018
After working 10 years of my life working with MacNeal thing's got really bad. They contracted a new company that took over...very sad to say but the worst company ever. They took over and cleaned house.
Pros
Cons
No lunches, Stressful, no breaks
Relaxed workplace
GI Technician / GI Liaison (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILAugust 2, 2018
I’m working at Nac Neal Hospital for 10 years, and is a good place to work, Doctors and Coworkers are very respectable.
My new GI Director is amazing Person actually is the best .
Pros
Sometimes Free Lunch
Cons
Yes short break
stressful and fast pace
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJuly 23, 2018
lack of man power will over work you with no appreciation need to learn to appreciate employees and treat everyone fair. overall have enjoy cleaning the patients room because the love of the patients and their families.
n/a
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJuly 11, 2018
Its an alright hospital to work at. I enjoyed mostly working with the patients. It was a good place staring out in my field. Pretty steady work day. Low pay though
good experience.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJune 24, 2018
good management,good pt care and customer service.good team work.co worker very helpful.good team lead.good job satisfaction.good time management.good supervisor.good doctors.
Great place to begin your career
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJune 12, 2018
MacNeal hospital is a supportive and friendly place to begin your healthcare career. They offer on the job training, as well as, access to educational lectures occasionally. They even offer tuition assistance for employees who want to go back to school.
However, there are very few opportunities for growth or advancement within certain departments. You typically get a small raise at the end of each year,which is nice, but there is little room to grow professionally inside the company. Also, even if you are a full time employee you are not always guaranteed 40 hours a week. Sometimes the census gets low on the units so they'll cancel staff. If you're canceled you can choose to use your pto to cover that day, or go unpaid. This leaves you with either a smaller pay check or very limited pto for personal use. If your unlucky enough to not have any pto you are left with no choice but to lose money.
Pros
Friendly and supportive coworkers, flexibility with hours, and great place to learn
Cons
Hours are not always guaranteed even for full time
Day to day work
Patient Service Representative (PSR) (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJune 8, 2018
Answer medical questions about billing, insurance, and pharmacy, register patients, collect payment and post receipts to their account, accurately enter patient information into Athena software.
Pros
strong work environment, fast paced
Cons
pay rate
friendly workplace
Patient Care Technician II (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJune 8, 2018
Very good teamwork . Nice manager super flexible . no problem with vacations,good benefits .Every day is different day with many challenging .People who work there are unique .
great place to work
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILMay 9, 2018
busy always!!!!
helping patients is priority!
Some patients are very rude but being kind and understanding always helps!
new things to learn daily! Fun place to work
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
hours are never the same
good
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILMay 9, 2018
MacNeal Hospital was the first hospital I worked at after moving to Chicago from Pittsburgh. Hired for 3rd shift was not ideal but since it also operated as a reference lab it gave me the experience of working with very large volumes and having to be diligent with pending workload.
Change of management needed
BHS Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 29, 2018
As a mental health counselor in behavioral health I feel that we are often overworked at the expense of saving money. We do not have appropriately staffed units when it becomes very acute. It feels like the department is picking the bottom of the barrel patients in order to fill beds and make money with no regard for staff safety. Several staff have been injured in my short time here and every time we accept the same patients that have caused bodily harm to multiple staff. The only good part about my job is the staff I get to work with.
Pros
working with staff
Cons
management
Great place to work.
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILApril 18, 2018
I loved working at MacNeal Hospital. Beautiful atmosphere , nice people. Room for advancement. Competitive salary. Relaxed and non-stressful work environment.
Pros
Competitive salary, nice work environment.
Cons
Very far from home.
okay place
Lab Tech/Phlembotomist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2018
Macneal was nice to work at, but the ability to move up the business ladder was limiting, and the wages was not compatible with the amount of experience and years of expertise
Job Skills
Telecommunications Operator (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILApril 11, 2018
I was able to learn new job skills and new computer programs to help with my job duties. Management was fair and any problems were corrected. There wasn't a hard part was the sad stories of the patients, the most enjoyable was we were there to help make peoples lives better.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
short breaks
Great place in my heart
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILMarch 20, 2018
I loved working here. The people were excellent. I still have many friends from when I worked there. The pay was not worth the amount of work. It could have been much higher. We did a lot of work including phlebotomy. However when my mother passed away (a registered nurse at macneal) they put on an amazing memorial in her honor and I will always be very grateful for that!
Pros
Great friends and coworkers, learned a ton
Cons
Low pay
A fast- paced learning experience
Shadowing student (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILMarch 16, 2018
While shadowing Dr. Greg Daly MacNeal hospital provided me with hands on medical experience. While shadowing Dr. Daly, I took down notes, fixed charts and even helped diagnose a few patients.
Pros
Hands on
Cons
I only had the opportunity to shadow for a week
mac Neal hospital was a great hospital to work for
Registration & Secretary Clerk (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, ILJanuary 29, 2018
Mac Neal Hospital trained me to work in the Medical field from ER registration to the Business office also they trained me and I learned about billing and insurance verification. I will forever be thankful for Mac Neal to train me and teach me everything I know today
Pros
great experience
Cons
low pay

Comment – January 30, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We believe our employees are at the heart of our success.