Macy's
Happiness rating is 66 out of 100

Macy's Employee Reviews for Fine Jewelry Sales Associate

Featured review
Macy's selected this as a representative review
Your learn a lot with your co-workers and management. There's always tasks to do in a fun environment. Very flexible with hours worked. Short breaks and busy during the holidays.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
N/a
I felt overall Macys treated me very well, they offered many benefits to part-time employees and for the most part, I liked the job. They also offered 20% discount off the top of items that you purchased from them.
Pros
20% employee discount off the top
Cons
Many managers didn't have much knowledge in how to manage
Low pay for the amount of running around and work you're actually doing. Some areas might be short staffed, and you have to run from register to register as customers line up, on top of clearing out fitting rooms all by yourself. Fitting rooms and racks seem to never stay in order, which adds to the stress and Constant work. Constant pressure from management to achieve ridiculous sales goals and credit card sign ups.
I loved what I did but I couldn’t stand the lack of communication and all the drama. I have seen better behaved customers at Walmart! You get treated horribly here and management still tries to make the customers happy! No one is on the same page about anything and don’t get me started on the lies and favoritism!
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Management. HORRIBLE customers w/ no help from managers.
Company provides good opportunity to advice you career, but the can change the positions anytime.. That will make you highly decorated colleague only..
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
The management was awful and my job title was one thing and they said it was another. No clear communication, no accountability, cliques and talking poorly of employees in the office. Poor culture all together.
I worked multiple areas, you are expected to do so, but the schedule is up to them and can be a pain. Also I know they were passing off inferior items by not telling the staff about what was being sold. I was in jewelry and they were selling some things under false names (ruby is a prime example). There is NO way to find anything about treatment of stones (I asked up to the highest levels) as they don't want that disclosed. I stopped by a year after I left and found they were selling synthetic stones as natural stones.
Pros
Some good folks worked there and decent medical
Cons
scheduling, low pay and no advancement possible
While the people I worked with at Macy's were for the most part great, there's an ever increasing amount of work and an ever fewer amount of people to do it.
treatment during the COVID 19 pandemic is terrible. They clearly don't care about the safety and well-being of their employees. During the first month, they had people working 50-60 hour weeks, and no requirements for customers to wear a mask. I feel like getting sick is inevitable working here.
Pros
Discount, but only if you have a macys card
Cons
work life balance, safety, pay
Good flexible hours but terrible management, customers are rude and you really don’t get paid enough. Commission is good, credit app requirements terrible- was once threatened to have an “hr file opened” because I didn’t convince 9/10 people to apply for a credit card, in janurary, when everyone has already maxed credit cards and trying to pay them down
Pros
Hours are flexible
Cons
Bad management teams
Macys is a good company to work for. I have enjoyed working there for almost 10 years. I strictly work in the fine jewelry department. This position requires more training and product knowledge then other areas in the store. Macy's provides us with continual training courses and updates. This is wonderful, I love feeling like I really truly understand the products and services offer to the customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping customer pick out a new piece of jewelry for their collection, or pick out the perfect gift. Its is a fun job.
Was out of town and I was hired by the assistant manager. Manager told me she never would've hired me and wanted me gone because my numbers weren't good. Set me up to make it look like I stole something and I got fired.She got a promotion. Manager made our shifts miserable and we would stay as far away as possible.
Macys is a nice place to work at. The managers care and support their employees. Managers help the customers and the employees when problems need to be solved..
Pros
Nice place to work at.
Cons
Not enough associates to cover shifts.
Our location is known as the Macy's Biltmore Bulldogs and there really is no better Mascot. The amount of dedication management has toward their colleagues is incredible. I experienced first hand their focus on promoting within and enriching every employee with the knowledge that is needed for a successful, fun and healthy work environment. As an employee we thrive to establish and maintain customer loyalty and work together as a team to achieve common goals. In the Fine Jewelry Department acquiring new product knowledge and detailed procedures is one of the many aspects of working at Macy's that I enjoy.
Loved working in this small store, however the location has since closed. The company itself was very good and gave entry level employees a higher ability to accommodate customers.
The retail world can be horribly stressful, but the poor management, customers, and coworkers taught me multitudes on how to remain professional during times of adversity. I could not stay long-term, even if I weren't moving away. It caused too much anxiety and emotional strife. A good transitional job where I could make money and leave in a few months.
I came in as a seasonal employee and was able to become a permanent employee. I still retained my part time hours, but once I became permanent, l had to take the initiative to pick up hours online in order to work. At my location, it seems like the schedules aren’t created in advance for most departments. If you like REALLY flexible work hours, then you’ll like this place. Just know you’ll be called In randomly
management could care less about their employees it's always all about the customer even when the customer is in the wrong, you get in trouble for calling off even if you are having an emergency .
Macys is a good employer to work for but the hourly salary could be better. Plenty of activity to keep the day busy. Good quality products to offer customers.
I worked for a young women who had transferred from Los Angeles. She treated me differently than the other workers. She was constantly scolding me and giving impossible metrics to meet.
There are multiple good reasons people would rather swallow a denim jacket and pants than shop in Macy’s. The stores are underperforming, antique and absolutely disgusting. I’m glad I’m free! Worst job experience I’ve ever had.
  1. Fine Jewelry Sales Associate