Macy's

Macy's Employee Reviews

United States33,328 reviews
Found 33,328 reviews matching the search
Featured review
Macy's selected this as a representative review
Gained lots of professional knowledge while working in Macy's
Good Employee benefits in retail store

Learned new technologies

Got opportunity to work with high level management
They might say you are full time but give you what would be concerted part time hours. If you are part time there might be weeks where you do not get any hours. If you can not get anyone to sign up for their credit card they will sit you down about it.
Pros
Cons
credit qutos, lack of hours, lack of pay
They just talk about how replaceable you are all the time. They’ll make you work 40 hours a week even when you’re part time. I can count on one hand how many lunch breaks I got in the year I worked here
Cons
If you don’t lic k your managers as s, forget it ! No pay raise or promotions, politics in a retail chain. Most embarrassing experience I had, people stabbing each other on their back to advance.
Don’t get me wrong if you are looking for flexible schedule is perfect, but anything else is going to cost you arms and leg. Starting from supervisor to upper management, you gotta bring them gifts or constantly apprais their looks so u r on their good aide
Pros
Flex schedule
Cons
Easy going job. Always was informed of where I would be and what my job was. Always able to complete my tasks easily and always found assistance when needed
Pros
Easy going job
Cons
Never really knew where I would be until at work
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Great company to work at because of work life balance, starting to be forward thinking in work from home, summer hours, 20 pto, however hard to grow internally, your boss determines your experience and management constantly changing or not the same.
Pros
work from home, pto, summer hours, midtown offices
Cons
management is not consistent, constant lay offs
good second job for college kids and older people. Great employee discount. Good insurance package. Flexibility in scheduling. They have a point system.
I really enjoyed my time at this company and loved the friendships I made and all experience I gained while being there. Was a great experience and I was very happy. I earned amazing skills and was trained by wonderful people who wanted to see my growth in the company aswell.
Good HR training and support. Requested more hours as an flex employee and they found part time position with more hours. Higher pay would help keep employees and had great employee discounts.
Pros
Good company support and morale.
Cons
Not enough hours and higher pay.
Some store managers are nice, some are not. Colleagues under you give you a lot of hard time. Management jobs pays too little. Fast pace environment.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Too much responsibility, no flexibility in schedule
Hours are flexible, great people to work with. Customers are about the same as in every other retail job, you have your good and your bad ones. Management really only cares that you open credits regardless of how much "behind the scenes" work you do. If you are not comfortable pushing credit on EVERY customer then prepare to have management down constantly observe you every minute until you open one.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low pay
You work hard, but you are treated fairly. The staff are friendly and there is a family like atmosphere. Workers genuinely care about the customers and each other.
Pros
Fun lunches and perks
Cons
Healthcare is too expensive. No retirement plan.
The managers didn’t do anything. There was no training. We had a meeting with the big bosses of Macy’s and Bloomingdales. It was so sad there, I don’t think I ever had a pleasant time there until I asked to be moved into a less chaotic area. There was backstock from months ago that we had to rescan. I saw no purpose in that job. Bad pay, bad management, physically exhausted.
Cons
Macy’s has a strong work/life balance and is one of the most flexible employers for scheduling and offers a wide verity of great benefits. Unfortunately, the colleague are becoming more over worked and very under paid and this shows when in stores. Your outlook for working for Macy’s depends strongly on your Store Manager and your connection with her or him. Currently COVID has destroyed the company more than the prior restructuring. There is currently very, very minimal chance for advancement throughout the company. The current restructuring is giving over worked colleague even more expectations with no incentive. Macy’s no longer seems to be a company that would cherish development for any store colleague. This boils down to “I’m staying for the people, not the company.”
Pros
Flexible scheduling, great benefits
Cons
Frequent turnover, lower wages, millions of dollars in debt
Main focus is customer service and friendly work Environment, great place to work during holidays and peak season thanksgiving, Christmas & new year’s.
Pros
regular hourly pay rate /plus sales commission
Cons
Commission is made after you sell $200 an hour for the company
I’ve worked in high pressure jobs my whole life, and this was on another level! The amount of tasks, goals, and expectations is unheard of for 1 person. Their structure is flawed, and turns into every man for himself environment. I would not recommend working here.
Enjoyed working with the company. Love being able to pick up extra/different shifts! Communication with management could use improvement. When I first started, tasks were unclear to me.
Pros
Employee discount; ability to pick up extra shifts
Loved my coworkers but management was not great. Could never get any assistance and constantly felt like my manager was in over her head. Love assisting people and loved learning more about the beauty industry
It doesn’t matter how hard you work or what you do everyone is s number at Macy’s They let go of top talent constantly.I wouldn’t work there because there is no advantage and if you get ahead you will be let go eventually
Pros
Vacation time is great
Cons
Constant worry about losing your jon
I am a former employee of Macy's. I loved to work for the company as the Jewelry business Manager. The store management was great, however, the corporate culture looked a bit too political. I believe Macy's is a great company to work for and you have lots of advancement opportunities, however, they will terminate you if they have to save their skin, regardless of the situation.
Pros
Advancement, bonuses, good environment.
Cons
The corporate office is not always fair.
This company over works their Managers/Associate team with low pay. They are unappreciative of any positive work. They have no traning program as they claim, its sink or swim. Favoritism is the key to success in this company along with kissing up to the senior team. I have seen managers yelled at on the floor and brought to tears, very unprofessional.
Pros
There are no pros.
Cons
Macy's doesn't care about their employees on any level.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.
10.2K
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Macy's.