Macy's logo

Macy's Employee Reviews

Found 35,087 reviews matching the searchSee all 35,255 reviews

Productive and fun environment

Featured review

Macy's selected this as a representative review
Your learn a lot with your co-workers and management. There's always tasks to do in a fun environment. Very flexible with hours worked. Short breaks and busy during the holidays.

Pros

Weekly Pay

Cons

N/a

Loved my coworkers, management not so great

Management wasn’t so great. Communication between them wasn’t great but loved my co workers. We were always overworked and never had enough help. Overall, was a great part time job.

Growth opportunity

There are lots of options as far as growth and opportunity. You can try anything from receiving to fulfillment, merchandising, sales, expediting, AST, and sales. The company is very open to getting you on the track you want.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Work life balance

Working at the Herald square location was very stressful. You was pressure by management to open multiple credit cards a day even though our union book told us differently. Some of the mangers would through tantrums as if they were children. They would fight amongst each other and not even speak to each other at times. Great way to lead a team. They would pick and choose who was their favorite instead of treating everyone equally and no problem throwing you under the bus if it meant saving their behind.

Pros

flexiable schedule

Cons

short staffed, poor department mangemenr

Employee discount

I enjoyed the employees discount . I received 20-30 employees discount . I did not like working the holidays. The only holidays Macy is closed is Christmas and Easter

Cons

Hourly pay is low

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Fun

Good very good awesome job easy job incredible job and easy good pay good job nice people you get discounts. Cashier job is easy some days are busy good pay

Pros

Discount

Cons

Long breaks

Typical workplace

They are understaffed and need to compensate their employees more if they want someone to work there. Usually the fitting rooms are full of clothes and there is no limit to the number of clothes you can take inside.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Compensation

I worked there when there was a Home Photo Studio. The photo team and environment were great!

It was a great place to cut my teeth as a photographer, but it was a very sad day for all of our crew when the Home Studio was shut down. Overall it was a great place to work.

Pros

work life balance was great. fun place to work.

Cons

pay was low to the standard for photography studio.

Terrible Management, Cool Coworkers, Nightmarish Customers

Working at any retail establishment is a nightmare, but if you're good with people, it's not as bad. Management sucks, you do get a lot of cool coworkers (at least I did), coupons are always an issue, customers are so entitled you would have to have manager present at all times, and even then they'll side with the customer and make it out as if you were born with the lowest intelligence. It's a good job to get your foot in the door as far as experience, and the systems and registers are super easy to get the hang of. It could be different for you but I only liked my posse of coworkers and the monthly birthday cake in the break room.

Pros

Monthly Birthday Cake, Few but Cool Coworkers

Cons

Management, Customers, Coupons, Policies

Desecnt place to work

its okay to work here especially during the seasonal period the pay is really bad don't go looking for good pay when working here managers are micromanagers as well .

Jobs at Macy's

See more jobs

Balance

Good culture but pretty difficult to get a promotion especially within buying. Very competitive. Now the offices are hybrid and you can only come in one week a month. If you’re young and want to make connections this will be hard with this model.

Pros

Great culture

Cons

Challenged mobility

Great Place to work.

Nice place to work. Very nice Coworkers , manager. learning skills that helped with future employment. only downsides was that had to cover for other employees and equipment didn't always work .

Pros

Company discount, school financial assistance

Cons

unpaid training.

Great company, so long as the people who work there are good

I used to work here during my college years so I could get some experience and people skills under my belt. Management used to be great, until the good ones either transferred or left, and the new ones had no concept or understanding of leadership. They will throw you under the bus without hesitation to appease every last customer. The district manager kept firing or laying off people leading up to Covid, and those of us who were left had to pick up the slack. Sale days were chaotic and unorganized, so it was difficult to keep up.

Pros

Flexible scheduling, employee discount, awesome coworkers

Cons

Short staffed, bad managers, unruly customers

Good Start to Retail Career

Overall - good company if you enjoy retail work. Challenging part if the customer interfacing. Enjoyed co-workers and management team directly reported to.

Pros

Flexible hours, Pay

Cons

Long Hours

Great environment

Always busy, fun environment. Easy going job, coworkers super friendly. Good beginner job…. Awesome managers! ..

Good company, enjoyable place to work

worked here for 2 years, manager was very helpful in getting department organized and stayed on top of things. coworkers were generally a good group however one bad apple was not making things easy, and everyone was glad when she finally quit (or got fired... I didn't ask). Hours good for flexibility, pay was adequate with room for advancement

Pros

Easy commute, good direction from supervisor and manager

Great staff to work with and the discount benefits help me while I have teenagers children.

It is a great benefit the employees discount. My health care benefits was great too and reasonable. I wish I could also benefit from some education funds.

Fair company

I was treated with respect, any difficulty I experienced was handled by HR. Worked for Macy’s at one location for 15 years, and three years at a different location.

Pros

I moved to better position several times .

Cons

Health care was expensive

Good place to work if you can keep up

Retail is different than most workplaces and can be difficult for some to keep up with, I suggest asking during an interview how this may affect you. Security however is standard and they have strick nondiscrimination policies they follow closely. They do offer room for advancement multiple times a year, but you do have to be on the up and up, they won't simply train you in if you're not ready.

Pros

good policies, breaks taken seriously, good recognition, employee incetives

Cons

can be overwhelming at times

An instructional company

Macy’s was instrumental in helping anyone to become adjusted and acclimated to there company’s retail sales lifestyle but are poor at retention and company policies change daily.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Not familiar with their own company pol

Terrible work place culture

Macys just doesn't care about the people that work for them management is trained to do the same they do not care about their employees. The supervisors are very jealous of the people on the floors comradary. It's a lot of older people in management that do not like change.

Pros

Ok money

Cons

The managers and supervisors are trained to not treat employees good at all.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

10.6K

InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight