Macy's

Macy's Employee Reviews

United States36,749 reviews

Found 36,749 reviews matching the searchSee all 36,925 reviews
discountsaleassociateretailstorecustomerseasonalmerchandise

Really flexible and understanding workplace

Featured review

Macy's selected this as a representative review
I started working at Macy’s when I was 16. They were really flexible with my school schedule. Very formal and professional management, yet understanding. They also had many opportunities for bonuses.

Pros

Benefits, flexible, discount

My productivity was great and ab great placem to

Very good place to work and enjoyment of with the clients and employees. I truly love my work at Macy's. It has an opportunity for growth and growth is important for every company. You get to meet customers from ever facet of life which is fun and exciting.

Macy's insights

Based on 13,024 survey responses
What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Great entry level job

Great entry level job, but at the same time not much room for advancement in the store. If you are able to become a full timer or get full time hrs the benefits are reall great for emergency pay, medical eye care and even a 401K. The thing being you only have access to the benefits if one works full time hrs

Don’t work here

Managers more concerned with theft and will neglect their employees. No proper training. They will give you extra duties when short of staff. You are just another body to fill a role rather than a person who is genuinely looking to grow and have a positive work environment. Your job duties will never actually be what is described in your role. Managers are rarely on the floor to help you, and if they do come to help, it’s not long before they are going back to their office. Don’t expect your complaints or requests to go very far either. This company does not care about you nor does management.

Pros

Occasional catered lunches, flexible schedule

Cons

Disorganized, low pay, bad management

I loved working here. My coworkers were helpful and we looked out for one another. It was a great learning environment and there is room for advancement

Pros

fun, caring, coworkers

Cons

pay is low. Not enough to live off of comfortably

Lovely environment

The management and staff were all wonderful people. Really friendly and fun environment. The only thing you have to worry about it theft, you’re working in the galleria mall, so it’s kinda sketchy but overall a good work place

The worst company to work

The worst company to work. Nothing good about this company.Management is the worst. Pay is horrible, no promotion for workers. There is no job culture. There is no promotion and growth for employees. Overall rating is 1. There is no seek leave for employees. Stay away from working here.

Good seasonal job

Gets very busy during the holidays. Long hours on your feet. Have to work holidays. It's easy to get hired. My supervisor was nice and supportive. Lakewood location. Some of the employees impatient to train and help when your get stuck. And, those few that did help. Great seasonal job.

Pros

Seasonal Job, great for part time

Cons

Long hours on your feet, don't Stay in one department. Sometimes late lunch and break due to holidays

If you make a mistake as a new hire, they won’t forget it!

I had trouble advancing at this company because management held on to every mistake that I made when I first started working here no matter how fast I grew afterwards. This was my first retail job and I learned a lot. There are also a lot of catty coworkers who will gossip about you if you are young and pretty with hair. There are cliques amongst management. The hardest part about working here was dealing with hate from jealous co-workers.

Pros

Pay is great! Went from $11/hr to $15/hr in 2 months

Cons

Lots of cliques and gossiping

Easy job just stack boxes

same routine every daymanagement is cool they will accommodate your schedule if you want more hours they'll give more hours Except if work is slow your hours will be cut and given to people with higher seniority

Above minimum wage pay but no room for growth

Some of the people that work in the store are great but when management need to constantly meet deadlines they put as much as they can on employees. The hard working ppl get the worst and most of it while the slackers they will put you on paper for lack of work to fire you eventually if your bad enough. No room for growth at all past a captain as the manager positions usually just transfer in from the smaller stores. Would not recommend coming here if your looking for a career as the higher you try to climb the harder it gets. Basically to move up you have to do more then what your job is required to the point where your doing 2-3 jobs worth of work and you can never say no to more. Even after 2-5 years of doing this you may still get no where and they will make promises to promote and pay you more which coincidentally always get pushed back and they hope you stop asking about it and if you don’t they will say it’s your fault for not doing more or it’s not available in the budget now. Great entry job into retail but that’s it would not recommend. If your older and do not care and just need a job this is for you but anyone younger I would not recommend dead end job.

Pros

People are nice

Cons

Make you take a full hour lunch and you never get your 20 min break

Great company, great to build a future with and work up.

I can honestly say macys is one of the best companies I’ve worked for thus far. Everyone is truly like family even working at home. Everyone is very helpful that I’ve met and our team meetings are great. This is much room for growth within the company and they will always push you to stay with the company. Honestly it would be hard to get fired here unless you just are lazy and doing no call no shows. Work really isn’t hard as well. I highly recommend.

Good compensation package

Good and friendly atmosphere. Everyone there treats you like family, you one hour lunch, and are able to change your schedule with co workers so as to take a longer vacation and they have great incentives and discounts as well

Pros

One hour break

Cons

And 2 15 minute breaks in the morning and afternoon

Nice people

The work was okay. Good working environment. Do not like that you have to have a quota for sales. Returns count against the quota. Management is nice.

Good place to work if you’re looking for a part time job. They cut your hours a lot , overall the job is easy and coworkers are nice. Would recommend

Love the company, not all the people

This was my first job. I love the coworkers I got to know. Management lacks communication, encouragement, and, accountability. They can’t never be wrong, and love to go on power trips when in a bad mood. They don’t even train you on the floor so good luck figuring out everything by yourself, Unless a very nice and patient coworker will help you. They didn’t care if you closing by yourself in your department. Plus, if you have a creepy customer while your at it! As for the older coworkers in their late 40’s and up why are you going to get upset with someone in their early 20’s over nothing. Well I see you staying there for the rest of your life & being miserable for a company who doesn’t let you rest on thanksgiving. The only way you’ll be a favorite if you kiss a lot of butt with management with a not so pleasant scent. They take for granted their hardworking,loyal, amazing employees. Enjoy fighting for credits! While I grow & live my best life. Thank you for the opportunities the company gave me. The coworkers who took the time to train me thank you so much for it I appreciate it.

Low hours-just a job

Low hours sometimes less than 3 days. Pointless to come to work to get small checks just for transportation. Labeled as customer service but really sales/cashier.

Retail Experience

Good place for customer service experience. Retail now more often than not required aggressive credit card promotion. Love the coworkers and customers. Pushing credit cards is stressful from management.

Pros

Gratis, education

Cons

Pressure to push credit cards

horrible place to work

management never on site shoplifters attack store detectives, co workers never assit with apprehending, co workers constantly never show for their shift

Good part time job

I worked for the company for 7 years while in college and grad school. Very flexible in terms of scheduling but a lot of PTO restrictions. It is retail so it is understandable but also not because they have plenty of support staff to cover shifts. Commission departments are the way to go.

Not many hours

Coworkers are super friendly.. management is much more worried about accounts and sales then anything else. Hours are good .. Pay is decent .. I went from being full time to flex

Common questions about Macy's

Answered by current and former employees at Macy's

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Macy's.
Powered byComparably

Compare Macy's with

Macy's reviews by popular job title

• Macy's