Macy's Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

Typical day at work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 12, 2017
a typical day at work could get hectic in that i would work until it was time for my shift to be over, yet i would be asked to stay longer or was not allowed to leave until the person taking my shift came. there would be times they didn't and i was not able to take my 15 minute or 30 minute break.
Pros
discounts
Cons
no breaks, made to stay longer
N/a
Pricing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2017
I believe that Macy need to pay their employees more for entry level work such as pricing coordinators, office coordinators, office coordinators and sale managers
nice environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 5, 2017
open truck and put boxes on a line and each member have a specif duty on the line.

process and add sensors on clothes.

the hardest part which is not really hard is taken everything up to each of its own floor.

most enjoyable part is being able to talk while work with your co workers.
Pros
hour lunches, they have a taste bar where u could get discounts on food and drinks. discounts on clothes.
Cons
communication between different managers
Working at a tourist hotspot
Customer service - Watch department (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 4, 2017
I worked at Macy's in the fall at Chicago's Water Tower Place. We had many foreign customers and tourist from other states. I'd either be in the watch department, the fashion jewelry department, or the temporary Swatch brand watch kiosk.
I'd dust and decorate display cases, restock materials (especially popular ones!), resize watches, and count check the register.
It was a enjoyable job. I have nothing negative to say about the position nor was anything "hard".
Pros
Fast paced, meet lots of different people
Cons
your are running in place
Human Resources/ Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IlNovember 30, 2017
Not bad as a stepping stone to learn something and how corporate world view the workers and customers. However,low wages, low increases, top pay is a joke for sales or anything below management, supervision pay is low also. This is the real meaning of "it's a job". Answering phones, customer complaints, sales associates questions, sales associates looking for their manager, time card edits, run sales reports, onboarding, orientation,
Friendly
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 28, 2017
Great training to show sales associate that the customer is always right and how to open, close and balance the cash registers. Great discounts for company employees.
Nice environment
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2017
The co workers and management was nice people to work around they give discounts the pay was fair environment was well kept just overall a great experience only thing it was seasonal and they didn’t let us know the last day
Pros
Environment food and people
Cons
Short breaks
Very fun place
Nambe Vendor Specialist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2017
Macy's was a very interesting fun place to work, the environment was up going all the time and the customers where always pleased with shopping there. I enjpyed!
Concerned about the future of Macys
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2017
Recent decisions have caused job insecurity for me. Also recent decisions the company implemented do not seem well thought through that have caused a downtrend with overall results.
Unable to Meet Sale Goals
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL and Miami, FLNovember 6, 2017
I did well at Macy's in Chicago, IL from 9/09 - 08/12. At Macy's in Miami, I was unable to meet my goal everyday for a month and was fired. I had asked to be moved to another department but was told no
Pros
Great place to work at
Cons
Can be competitive
very bad
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2017
macys was very unorganized, you apply for one job and end up doing 5 different jobs with no extra pay. those that spoke up were let go under the pretense of not being a good worker.
A sales associate
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 31, 2017
Management is terrible in candy department, they show favoritism to certain coworkers, they don't work and literally make u help a customer when they saw them first, they lie to their associates and terribly micromanages!!!!
Pros
Half off on food and chill coworkers
Cons
Managers micromanage, treat you like you are a child, bothers the coworkers, has no respect for you and constantly picks
Great Part-time Holiday Job
P/T Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 29, 2017
Nice holiday job in the heart of downtown Chicago. Good management, but limited management in the evenings. Store hours are better at downtown store. Closes earlier than stores in the malls. Convenient job coupled with a full-time job.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Lack of management in the evenings
Fun atmosphere...but reduced traffic leads to challenging sales
Counter Manager, Chanel Water Tower Place (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60611October 26, 2017
In this job, I work with wonderful people. I currently have a very supportive manager and my coworkers are great. I love interacting with the customers and helping them achieve their desired look . Retail has become a very challenging industry. Sales are down all across the area and are not forecasted to change in the near future. Therefore. commission checks are reduced and overall salary is down.
Macy's has been supportive this year, but the vendor is challenging.
Pros
people and interactions with customers
Cons
vendor challenges
There was no organization at all.
Excellent customer service rep, Cashier,Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 24, 2017
There was to many chiefs and no Indians. No one wanted to train the new employees, Favortism exsisted, Rarely gotten hours, Computer was always messing up for your hours. No consistency.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Short breaks, very hard to get in touch with managers.
Overall, Great Place to Work
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2017
I appreciate greatly my time with Macy's. I was able to work with incredible people all while advancing my career. Meaningful and engaging work was provided and excellence was demanded.

I left due to a restructuring after many years with the organization. Hard decision to leave but needed to see what other challenges were out there for me!
stressful at times but also fun during the hoilday season
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2017
Greet customers as they walk in the store assist the customer with finding their item I have learned to be patient the hardest part of the job is dealing with rude customers .The most enjoyable part is folding clothes cleaning messy displays helping customers.
Pros
paid every 2 weeks
Lot of hard work.
Better Sportswear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2017
Retail is hard work but Macy's has a lot that's good about the way they do business. Yes, during "Holiday Time" there are more hours, but if you can cope, it's good.
very good place to work some good employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2017
over all, Its a good place to work. I had no problems working for Macy's. I've always had good experience with them. I enjoyed helping the customer with satisfaction of professionalism and cutesy.
just dont
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 25, 2017
Poor management
Weak communication between HR and yourself
management isn't always on the same page with HR so information can be very all over the place

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.