Macy's Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

Found 479 reviews matching the search See all 30,090 reviews
Great job 👍
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2019
I've worked over the holiday season it was worth it and many hours, but after the season you are on flexible hours. Make sure you are on time and there on your schedule. The other great thing if you can not make it to work and you know ahead of time you can switch with another accsocaite or avertise your shift.
Not a good place to work
Temporary Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2019
Kitchen is always a war zone. Due to high turn around during holiday season management doesn't show much interest in getting to know you.I worked for Macy's for 2 months and they were a waste of my time. I was only getting 1 day a week. My manager at the time lacked communication skills and I eventually was let go because of it. I ended up getting another job because of the lack of hours and days and not knowing when I was scheduled to work.
Flexible time schedule with staff discount
Shop Captain (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 6, 2019
Its a busy day at Macys where we make magic to our customers. We greet them with a smile and pleasing manner . We ask them for their requirements and do the very best to make them happy.
N/a
Faragrance specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2019
N/A first company to work for management is rude and
Very racist. If management didn’t like you it’s was going to be a very stressful place to work at you need to kiss up to them to move up other then that your stuck in the same position
Fast Pace work
Lead/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2019
Would I work there again no, but it wasn't a horrible job. I felt as if I was the only person being targeted for project and performing other activities
great for a temporary job
Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2019
Great place to work if you want your day to fly by and meet people from many different backrounds.
There are many different roles a person can have and if you do a good job, you can be promotable.
Why didn't I leave sooner
Pricing and signage (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2019
I worked for Macy's for 8 years and they were a waste of my time. I worked my butt off until the last year I worked, I was only getting 1 day a week. My manager at the time lacked communication skills and I eventually was let go because of it. I ended up getting another job because of the lack of hours and days and not knowing when I was scheduled to work. A lot of favoritism goes on too and employees moping around
This job is for kids.
Vendor Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 25, 2019
It doesn’t matter how hard you work, you’ll never be anything. Managers are trash. Employees are ghetto. Managers sit in the office all day! They only care about the company when there is a visit from corporate. Don’t ever complain about anything, you will be on the list. The list is for people who don’t accept anything.
Fun environment, friendly co workers. clean workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2019
I worked for Macy's doing a variety of rolls staring out as a Dish washer for the marketplace food court. I was promoted multiple times to do a variety of jobs I was labeled a 'king of all trades' for my dedication to work as well has the diversity of skills i acquired from doing many different task assigned to me.
Pros
co workers felt like family great advancement opportunities.
Cons
Not many
Fun and competitive workplace
Cashier/ Sales associate (Former Employee) –  835 N Michigan Ave Chicago, IL 60611June 16, 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job was to always feel like I worked my part to the highest of my potential. and knowing the customer walks away Satisfied.
Pros
Being able to interact with new customers everyday
Hard working
Macys (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 3, 2019
I believe in working hard and working smart I think you should get along with your employees and also get along with your people that you're serving inside of the restaurant I believe you should always work as a team and also help out your teammates if needed
Pros
Always work together
Cons
Stay focused, work hard and work smart.
A disappointment!
Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 1, 2019
I believe I was set-up. At end of shift one of the co-workers asked me if I could drop of the money box to the depository upstairs. I’m like sure why not. Not thinking....Next day I’m called in by security for taking the money. Very traumatic experience for me. Told them to look at their cameras and see for themselves. I was there no less than 3 months ...was the employee of the month and received compliments from customers. It seemed like some of my co-workers were jealous. VERY SAD! The pay is also atrocious for the name it carries!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Everything except discounts
Fun, fast, and friendly place to work. Very group oriented and detailed focus work environment.
Women's Shoe Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2019
One of the best positions I’ve worked for a company. Very sales driven, and great customer service is required. Fun, fast and friendly type of environment. Must have strong leadership skills and a patient personality.
Signing Team Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2019
Wonderful work experience and always customer service oriented. Great place to work and the constant connection with customers always makes the job more rewarding.
Pros
No Micro Management
Cons
Lack Knowledgeable Training
A great lunch area for workers
Shoe Expediter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 14, 2019
Loved Macy’s it was an exciting atmosphere due to it being downtown the workers were great and so was some managers everyone help one another and the pay was great!
It was okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 1, 2019
I've always wanted to work in the retail field for my love of clothes, but after being there for some months it started becoming overwhelming and annoying. The customers were okay but they felt they were privileged due to the way the managers made them feel. The managers were young, they didn't know much about their positions and they would expect the employees to do THEIR jobs, like most jobs expect. They rarely helped out, and they had an under achievable and unrealistic goal they wanted ALL of their employees to reach in Macy's credit cards. I was there for over 5 months, and the way the employees that were for even a little over a year got treated, versus the way the ones that were there for months got treated (if I'm making sense), you could definitely spot the difference.
Pros
Hour lunch and two 15 min breaks for shifts over 6 hrs
Cons
wasn't paid for the hour lunch (which I guess I expect)
Horrible work environment
Merchandise Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2019
I was hired on as an Merchandise Team Manager and it was literally the worst job I've ever had. There is very little diversity in upper management, so I was an outcast. The other managers acted like Mean Girls and talked about and conspired behind my back. I was so happy when they told me I was getting laid off due to changes in the management structure.
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
No work-life balance due to working 10-12 hours a day, six days a week most weeks
Interesting employment
Designer handbag Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2019
Macy's is set on a strong platform but does not have qualified employees/ managers. The chain of command is weak and interferes with the resources available for employees.
First time job
Flex Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2019
Macy’s is great if your looking for a part time job
Managers are usually nuts though
Work life can either be fun or boring or both
Co workers are gossipers
Pay is weekly that’s a plus
Pros
Discount weekly pay
Cons
Short breaks
If you have to work here, leave as soon as you find something better.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 3, 2019
Unless you enjoy having the longevity of your job hinging on something as arbitrary as how many store credit cards you open, don't waste too much time here.

The only good thing I'll say about this place that I personally experienced as a part time worker is that you can set your own availability. I was able to set two days that I absolutely could not work and so far, they have honored that.

Otherwise?

Management is highly disorganized, and communication from management to associates is very poor.

With the recent job requirement of "open x amount of store credit accounts per week", this is once again a competitive and unpleasant work environment. Similar to the one that was present when I first started, where you were expected to make a certain amount in "commission sales". Apparently they learned nothing about how negatively things like this impact the workplace, or they just don't care. And yes, even if you're part time, even if you have a hard time getting hours, even if you work during slower periods of the day, you're expected to open the same amount of accounts as someone in a much better position than you. There is no compromising with these people.

Oh yeah, and don't expect any accommodations if you develop any sort of problems with your feet or knees after working here for a long while. I did, and despite attempts to reason with my managers, I was told there was nothing they could do for me.

Take a job with them if you absolutely must. But leave as soon as you're able. It's simply not worth the physical or mental stress.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.

59.1K

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

71%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

68%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss