Macy's Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

Found 422 reviews matching the search See all 25,968 reviews
Fast shopping environment but a fun experience.
Promotions Agent/Cody (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 6, 2018
Working in perfume promotions was a fun experience. Standing on your feet and asking customers to sample the products up for promotion in that season.
Pros
Networking and customer service
Collaborative Workspace
Merchandising Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 24, 2018
Macy's really was all about teamwork, and that was emphasized from the top down. One thing I really enjoyed that I haven't often seen in a lot of other workplaces is that the managers actually participate in the actual work, as opposed to just sitting in a backroom dictating and playing with their fingers. Macy's also made sure to show it's appreciation for it's employees in many ways, from providing not one but two breakrooms with many amenities, and often providing free meals and other small but much appreciated gifts, like free lunches and special discounts and prizes for hard work, or, achieving/exceeding expectations.

By far the best job I've worked.
Pros
Clean, Not hurried, collaborative
Macy's is a very good company to work for.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 22, 2018
I started working for Macy's when my children were younger for the flexibility of hours. Now that they are grown I find that I prefer the company for that same reason.
Pros
The flexible hours, the employee discount
Cons
The late hours, working on holidays
Seasonal
Retail Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2018
This is a decent company to work for if you're looking for some extra money or if you're retired or a student and need to work only a couple of days a week.
Decent place to work
Receiving Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 15, 2018
Don't expect to pay a bill with Macy's but you can eat , the hours are varied, so you can work around your schedule if you have better things to do. You will enjoy and hate your job in the same hour, just depends on you.
Pros
Varied hours, decent people, ok pay
Cons
Not always recognizing great workers, lack of promotions for long term workers
It’s a good place to start off and offers opportunities for growth
Jewelry Ringer, Men's Shoes selling (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2018
Working at Macy’s was a great experience for me. I learned a lot and I know they’ll everything I know today. There’s more to grow in the company as well. The only reason I’m looking for a new job is to pursue what I went to school for and get a job in my field.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Hours are not ideal
low pay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2018
i was only there for the holiday season. it had very low pay and the management is rude. they sit around all day and chat. this was he worst place that i ever worked at.
Very relaxing place to work.
Processor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2018
I love working with my co workers we help each other out.with out a attitude or disrespecting one another.i love to interact with the customer.i train new employees showing them how to complete the task correctly.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Poor pay
It was decent
Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2018
Some managers are horrible, and you can tell there is favoritism. Some employees are very competitive and honestly want to see you fail. You can't really trust anyone here.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
Workers/Management
Great team members but expectations were too high
Receiving Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2018
The only reason why I stayed at Macys was because I had a great team and I really felt like family to them. Unfortunately, senior managers change frequently, last year my direct report changed 5 times, and each has there own opinions and expectations. Insanely stressful to complete projects on time with no support / budget and got coached on for completing the project but I had to stay longer to finish it. Not a good company to work for in management.
Pros
Lots of PTO
Cons
healthcare was expensive, management team has unreal expectations, micromanagement style
Limited opportunities
Events & Culinary Professional (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2018
The company seems to be rudderless, particularly related to events and foods. A good temp or season option should someone need to work. Co-workers can be a good source of support.
Pretty good
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 25, 2018
Macy's is a fun place to work, the pay is decent, and so are the hours. When you work sales you can pick up shifts online throughout the whole store for hours, that was awesome. I think benefits are full time employees only :(
It is nice to be around different people. and some times fun.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 25, 2018
I worked almost seven to eight ours a day. five days a week. or less. but most five days a week. 23 to 38 hours a week. included weekends some times. workplace culture I really liked the are and culture and style. the hardest part. sometimes it was a lot of clothes to put away. or organize. and overall I like working there. and had a very good managers and supervisor. and enjoyed working there in holidays. it is fun. and sometimes to busy.
Pros
once only
Cons
15 minutes breaks every two hours.
Associate Sales
Associate Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2018
Assisting guest with any question they may have, stocking the floor, keeping the floor clean, ring the guest out helping with cash credit card or traveler checks.
Na
Macy's Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2018
Acts is a huge store with lots to learn about the retail business and it’s very fun to work out during the holiday peak season . The managers are great & the environment
fun
Food Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2018
relaxed work environment, meet interesting people, free food.nice managers and supervisors.Coworkers were also very nice. good food, just a wonderful place to work
Retail is a beast, work with that.
Lancôme Sales and Training Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 3, 2018
This was my first retail (full-time) job and I think I learned more about myself than I did about the role. If you want tp work for a company that's always changing, come work for Macy's.
Pros
Discounts, options to work anywhere there is a Macy's
Cons
Retail can sometimes suck (holidays)
Hated Working there
MATERIAL HANDLER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 30, 2018
They don't give out hours. The environment was very negative from employees to managers. There was no advancement for promotions. No really good benefits for you or family
Pros
The experince
Cons
Lack of management
I believe Macy’s is horrible from the bosses to the employees
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 27, 2018
I was subjected to be fired because of a supervisor in Macy’s it was supposedly because I was being insubordinate but I felt I was getting told to do things not in my job description
Pros
Good money
Cons
Waste of time
Great company
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 26, 2018
I loved working at Macy's! They developed me to be a leader and gave me opportunities to utilize those skills. It's a fast-paced environment with great people to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.

57.9K

2.7InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight