Macy's Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Found 1,414 reviews matching the search See all 30,175 reviews
sales
Sales Associate - Retail (Former Employee) –  Hialeah, FLAugust 22, 2019
Fast paced environment. Worked with great people. Learned a lot and quickly. Great place to start up and continue to grow. They just have to raise their pay.
I’m excellent customer service , merchandising
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Sales associate, Customer service, merchandisingAugust 21, 2019
I reserved a lot reward certificate as excellent customer service, merchandising, pricing , operating registers and machine, building client,to the company, Magic seller , encourages customer to open credit card
Exciting and fast paced atmosphere
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEAugust 20, 2019
This was a temporary seasonal position. It was fast paced which made the workday go by quickly. I loved working there and the job duties were fairly easy.
Excellent experience
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2019
I enjoyed my time at Macy's learned a lot. I leaned about online shopping/shipping. Loved being there during the holiday season. Loved shopping there as well.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLAugust 18, 2019
This can be a great place to work if you don't mind slow days or busy days. There is an open door policy. Management keeps it lively. We are a team!!!
Pros
Earning Rewards
Cons
You pay for your own insurance
My First job
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corte Madera, CAAugust 16, 2019
For my first real job other then babysitting working in macy's was actually nice. Working retail can be annoying but I really enjoy it and hope to work in retail again somedays because you learn different types of skills.
Stressful Work Place
Fitting Room Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2019
Depending of your job title you can be ringing customer up on the register, offering Macy's cards or in the fitting room sorting clothes, running them to the sales floor assisting customers with sizes and helping them find merchandise. I learned how to run rods, offer and open up Macy's credit cards, and how to professionally interact with customers. Management was terrible, they are constantly stressing and pushing for you to bring down the amount of rods which some times range from 20-30 with one person in the fitting room sorting and one person actually bringing the merchandise back to the floor. They set unrealistic daily goals and when those goals are not being reached people are penalized. Managers here do not work, they walk the floor all shift long expecting and complaining. When goals need to be reached and we are short in staff everyone should be working together to reach those goals including management.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Little communication
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  HelenaAugust 13, 2019
One can hear different versions of policy depending on which manager you speak with. Store hours change or rewards change and you aren't made aware until it happens to you. My supervisor rarely speaks to me. Most of management doesn't follow through and when you ask about it you are seen as a problem. There is only one supervisor you can trust to listen and follow through.
Pros
I work part-time and can handle the mismanagement for the most part.
Cons
I would never work here full-time when I was dependent on the income.
Nice working environment.
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLAugust 13, 2019
At Macy’s managers are great with any concern or doubt, great work environment, professional and organized. They work with your schedule and availability.
A fine place to start working.
Retail sales associate (Former Employee) –  19535 Biscayne BlvdAugust 10, 2019
For a first job I can't think of a better place...A typical day at Macy usually involved going up to customer and helping them to the best of your abilities. I've learning everything I know about customer from my time working there. The work place environment is very competitive which can make everyone work harder it also breed hostility for the employees. However i met a lot of nice people and had a lot of fond memories.
Management, Reason for employment
Retail Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 10, 2019
I took the job to do something simple and part time because I am retired.

I was a manager for most of my life and had training in total quality management. I found some of the policies and routine functions to be counterproductive to the purpose of successful retail experience. I find that there is a lack of communication and clera instruction as well as a lack of written SOP's
Management and some associates took advantage of me
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 10, 2019
When I quit, it wasn't voluntarily and another manager quit the same day to make a statement. A newer fellow co-worker stole my customer and quit on her current customer to take my credit app. We needed to get those to keep the job. Even after telling the store manager this, she was rewarded and I was blamed for not getting the credit be app. The manager was transferred a week later.
Pros
Being on call I got to set my schedule
Cons
Not garrunteed work and sometimes went weeks w/o
Not good manager
Fitting Room Associate (Former Employee) –  Arrowhead Towne centerAugust 10, 2019
Terrible management. Terrible pay. Wouldn't recommend to anyone other than student. Not more than 34 hours and I was full time. Needed better pay and hours
Five employees used to do the jobs that now 1 retail sales assoc. Does!
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE FT (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAAugust 9, 2019
Once upon a time there was: 2 cashiers, 1 person outside the dressing rooms to do the "go-backs" and re-merchandise and 1 person inside the dressing room area to assist. NOW a Retail Sales Associate position does the following: rings up all transactions, cleans out the dressing rooms and hangs everything back up, puts all the merchandise back on the sales floor merchandised nicely AND Mgt. added that the Retail Sales Associate handles all BOPS - that's their acronym for customers who buy online and pick it up at the store. The customers scream at you (the ones that have zero patience or understanding) for standing in long lines. You seethe inside wishing you could tell the customer that if Mgt. wasn't having you doing 5 jobs, there wouldn't be long lines. IF your Manager comes around (which is maybe once a day) and a customer grabs her/him and complains about the long lines and waiting, the Manager very unprofessionally yells at you in front of the public - instead of jumping onto the other register collecting cobwebs and assist the customers and you. Don't do it. You will hate your Life after 1 week there. Look at the employees - see any of them smiling? Hmmm?
No team help
Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAAugust 7, 2019
The juniors department such a bad experience. I work their for 6 years we would never get breaks on time or none at times. We only have one person for six hours and the fitting rooms so messy to the point racks on top off racks are on the floor.
Pros
Good for high school students
Cons
You have to work holidays. !!
Don't be fooled
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJAugust 5, 2019
They are not consistent in their message. On paper, they say one thing, in practice, totally disconnected. At my location, the work environment is oppressive. The temperature is never at a comfortable setting. EVERY day customers and employees complain and NOTHING changes unless there is a corporate exec visit. The customer service is not genuine; not part of the real culture there. The majority of employees are closet miserable and complain all the time. They put up with customers to get them to go away. I'll work there until I can find a better job. Management doesn't walk the talk! They complain about low customer service scores, but don't speak to employees or customers unless necessary!! They are very superficial and shallow! Boarderline elitist in attitude. And then they wonder why they're not taken seriously.
Customer Service is more than a morning pow-wow.
It's a focused culture of genuine caring! They don't get it!! Employees follow management's lead and only or barely speak to customers when forced to or necessary!! Macy's isn't what it used to be. Don't believe the advertising or the hype. They should spend more on customer service training and employee morale, instead of all those commercials, parades, and fireworks. They suck!
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Everything else
Seasonal employee
Retail support associate (Former Employee) –  Montebello, CAAugust 4, 2019
My employment with Macy's was not great, but helped me matured and learned to be patient with others. Macy's was a good first job and was able to work with my school hours.
nice people
Fitting Room Associate (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIAugust 1, 2019
Stressful when busy. Most people were nice. Push getting customers to open credit cards.Lots of clothes to put away all the time. Customers throw clothes on the floor and leave fitting rooms a mess.
Not a equal opportunity employer...
Fitting Room Associate/ Recovery (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 28, 2019
I worked at Macy's for about two years and it has to be the worse work experience for me. They're demanding and will call and text you to get you to come in, they pile on your work load and expect you to complete tasks they don't or haven't trained you for... I worked in the fitting room but have done everything from fulfillment to stick to merchandising. The managers have no respect. It's the only job I have had that the managers will complain about the floor knowing where sorry stated and expect you to complete it while doing your actually job but won't lift a finger to assist... Teamwork and communication is something that you expect but Don't if you're planning on working here... This is what you always see new employees they can't keep any.
Not the best work experience
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJuly 23, 2019
- Little pay for expected high work demand
- I was a seasonal employee, so I didn't feel that I was treated the same as the other employees in my department that were not seasonal

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.

59.1K

2.8InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight