Macy's Culture reviews

Found 6,976 reviews matching the search See all 29,716 reviews
Safe working place
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAJuly 17, 2019
Everything was easy in the job and you just had to make sure you gave good customer service. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to interact with a lot of people.
Macy's
Visual Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 17, 2019
Case up mail and deliver mail keep customers up to date on how we do business. Learned people skills and know my way around streets and businesses much better. Management could have been more understanding. Workplace culture everyone for themselves. Hardest part of job is management expectations. Most enjoyable finally hitting the street and doing the actual job. Cant complain
Macy's Guam Rocks!!
Seasonal Merch / Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Dededo, GUJuly 17, 2019
I loved working at Macy's Guam! My co-workers were fun, energetic and positive people. Management and peers were extremely helpful and did not hesitate in sharing their knowledge if I needed help with anything. Our customers were also awesome and I do believe that stems from their shopping experience and interaction with not only the sales staff but any employee at Macy's.
ICQA Trainer (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJuly 15, 2019
I only worked here as a seasonal job, but it was absolutely amazing. My supervisor was great and I really enjoyed the people who worked throughout the warehouse.
Big company with room for advancement, low pay / high on politics
Associate Site Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 15, 2019
Work life balance, Room for growth, strong brand/product/business.
There were many strong leaders and some incompetent ones.
Incompentant directors and managers always worked at home and didn't understand the business.
High politics, experience is dependent on team or manager, low pay.
Pros
Work life balance, Room for growth, strong brand/product/business
Cons
High politics, experience is dependent on team or manager, low pay
Management is amazing, welcoming staff.
Shop Captain (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 15, 2019
I loved all the people I worked with. Each manager was helpful. The customers you build relationships with are loyal. Great Security members. The associates are welcoming.
flexible working way and great working environment
QA Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sacramento CAJuly 15, 2019
flexible working way and great working environment

Visionary management and employee empowerment. Strongly rooted culture and values.

Great place to work once you understand the process and culture
Pros
Great place to work once you understand the process and culture
The most enjoyable part of the job
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 15, 2019
I would have Saying the most enjoyable part of the job was the staff and how they acknowledged you and appreciated you and change fun things for the staff
Laid back environment with good coworkers, but little advancement
Asset Protection Detective (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHJuly 14, 2019
Working for Macy's asset protection team required and reinforced a lot of skills involving teamwork and the ability to deal with different kinds of people, whether other associates, regular shoppers, or shoplifters. Unique skills are learned and overall it is actually exciting to build up a case and apprehend the repeat offenders. The pay tops out around $14 an hour, which I consider very low for the requirements of detectives in this department, and starts at $10.35. My ultimate reason for leaving, besides very noncompetitive pay, was the hourly schedule. I was required to work roughly 10 hours each day scheduled, from 12:00 PM to 10:00 PM. This left very little time for a personal life or any other relatively productive outside-of-work activities. Overall, I did enjoy the Macy's atmosphere and had very few complaints regarding my coworkers and managers.
Horrible place to work
SEASONAL CUSTOMER SUPPORT ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TNJuly 13, 2019
If you're looking for a career, this is not the place for you. Management is very unprofessional; clicked up and if you're not part of the click you become a target.
Most companies pay at least 12.00.or more
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJuly 13, 2019
Really enjoyed working there but having to look on the computer for hours is not a good policy. They should give people hours
I was there every Christmas for four years ALWAYS enjoyed it.i love people and loved working in all the DEPARTMENTS love that part of it
Macys is competative
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYJuly 13, 2019
Constantly busy at the children's department not only as a cashier, but organizing inventory stocks. I learned how a clothing has to be organized. A lot variety of people to know their background culture. Hardest part was to compete against coworkers on opening credit cards. I didn't enjoy much being in Macys except for pay.
Pros
Discounts realiable pay
Cons
competitive against coworkers
Fun and fast paced
Seasonal Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJuly 12, 2019
I worked as a seasonal merchandiser, so I had the early am shifts. It is definitely quick paced but is also a very fun place to work at. Discounts on clothes
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Associate/Specialist (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAJuly 12, 2019
Working at Macy's was very fun and energetic place to work. The staff work together as a team to make sure we meet the needs of the customers. Working there I had the option of being promoted to a higher sales rep based on my training and everyday work. Working there you were given the opportunity to grow and advance to different departments. The thing I like the most was working collectively as a team and getting to meet different cultures and finding whats best suits there needs.
Summary
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZJuly 11, 2019
I would not suggest anyone work for the specific Macy's Warehouse that I was employed at. Management is very unprofessional, plays favorites, and does not enforce any rules whatsoever. The culture was very clique-ish, not all that friendly of an environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was the work itself. I enjoyed being trusted to be left alone to do my job.
Do not work at Macy's
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH 45202July 11, 2019
Horrible management. Management is arrogant and condescending. Manager doesn't know how to work the desk. Supervisor has horrible time management skills. Training goes fast and doesn't teach much. Almost all training comes from coworkers. People being rude and insulting you all day. Leftist politics are everywhere. ABSOLUTELY NO ADVANCEMENT. Raises are only cents. Management plays favorites. Building is dirty and falling apart.
Pros
Getting paid
Cons
management does not train well. is condescending, disgraceful communication, very political and left leaning, Executives do not have to follow procedure.
Where dreams come to die
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJuly 10, 2019
The company doesn't stand behind their own core values. Macy's is focused on being a top competitor, and has forgotten the basics of retail. The culture in several stores is toxic, Management only interacts with the team before or during Hughes visits to keep up an appearance. Managers have little to no development and lack of integrity runs rampant within the stores.
Good Seasonal Job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLJuly 9, 2019
Working here omg term is not optimal. Everyone there was all for themselves, they claim to be great team leaders and teammates however it was very competitive and employees were spiteful. With the extent of work that is being done, there are no raises and you get paid minimum wage. Work hours are flexible but inconsistent.
Pros
20% off discounts, long breaks
Cons
bad all together
Productive Fun Workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJuly 9, 2019
I enjoyed myself working and learning different things. and learning people culture and there background. I enjoyed working with my coworkers being a team player.
Macys is great
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Baytown, TXJuly 9, 2019
Macys is a great place to work. I love all my colleagues. everyone is so welcoming and will help you with anything you need help on. They work with your schedule and will always help you be better

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.

59K

2.8InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight