Macy's Employee Reviews

Found 29,237 reviews matching the search See all 29,363 reviews
INC Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 19, 2019
Macy's is all about building relationships and getting to know their clientele. Great atmosphere especially around the holidays. Room for growth throughout the store and within the company.
fun
Manager Women's Shoes (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJune 19, 2019
I love Macy's, but the compensation is not very desirable. The job is easy as long as you put in the time and effort. You learn a lot about the retail world as a Sales Manager and must give weekly presentations to VPs.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
pay
Ok
Sales Associate Macy's (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 19, 2019
My experience of Macy's was ok. I worked Dadeland Mall, kendall. It was fun experience. I only worked for Christmas season. It's not a bad company to work for.
Fast-Paced Environment
Star Selling Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Bloomingdale, ILJune 19, 2019
Friendly and hardworking coworkers. Flexible sales process implementation. Extensive training program. Not much opportunity for growth. Management was highly disorganized.
Nice place to work, customer orientated job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYJune 19, 2019
A typical work day at Macy's started with arranging clothes and making sure everything is neat before store opening. A quick meeting with department manager. It is important to be attentive to customer's needs. Approach them and see if they need help or have questions. Ring them up on the register. Throughout the day make sure the department is neat and clean.
Pros
Employee discount. Get to see the latest fashion coming in.
Cons
Fast paste environment. Not every customer is pleasant to deal with
Not much training,but overall a good environment.
Part-time flex (Current Employee) –  Vancouver MallJune 19, 2019
I started working as a seasonal, but ended up as a part-time flex employee. When I first started there,I felt so unprepared when I was put on the floor for the first time. They dont really train, they just have you watch videos then go on the floor and watch someone,which I don't believe is enough. Overall though, it's a nice environment and the managers are super nice. There will always be a rude customer here and there,or a stressful day with a lot to do but it's not bad at all.
The managers were wonderful
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLJune 19, 2019
The managers was so wonderful ...I would work there again if I could... I would recommend this employment for anyone that's looking for a relaxed laid-back job
Job Posting said AM Hours, Actual Hours were PM...
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJune 19, 2019
Not all Retail is the same... not really a surprise. I had worked for Macy's when I was in college (in a different store) on the sales floor, so I knew getting an interview yrs later wouldn't be an issue. I was looking because the hours at Best Buy had dropped to basically nothing per week. What I liked about the opportunity was the job posting stated Early Morning Hours, which is perfect for me since I have other jobs that are nights & weekends. However, the times I got scheduled during my 3 weeks there were 1-10 PM's.Now, because I'm not busy every night I could work these shifts. However, there is nothing early morning about a 1-10 PM shift and I knew at some point 1-10's would conflict with my other jobs. For the record it was a Merchandising role, which basically meant during those 1-10's I unloaded the truck that had the new merchandise. The major problem I have was the hours. If someone says 1 thing, and then it's completely different... that does not fly in my book and I left. And, I didn't really get into & won't how bad the environment was in the back of the house. The main reason I am posting this is to make sure people are aware of what happened to me and to hopefully make sure it doesn't happen to them. Will I ever go back to Macy's or any chain that sells clothing? No. As it is I'm trying to get out of Retail all together.
Pros
Cons
Bait & Switch with Hours
Pay rate
Backstage Team Member (Current Employee) –  Hulen mallJune 19, 2019
There pay is the lowest of all retail, even managers pay is low!
Backstage is very hard work, and they pay less than $10 if they paid better, they would have quality people, instead they get school kids that don't care, and don't stay!
If you’re not in the “Click” Don’t click to apply”
Senior Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJune 19, 2019
10 plus hours daily.
Paid lunch but usually you’re working through that lunch to get things done. Severely short staffed on every level from support- Sales / executive team.

Company is going in the wrong direction from employee first to employees last.

Compensation is no longer competitive with other companies. (Low end of retail pay scale)
Workload for the amount of staff on hand is heavy. Fully hired but understaffed.

Promotions come with being in a click
Write ups come with NOT being in the click

Store managers get away with anything because no one is holding them accountable for how they treat their team

No Human Resources in the stores; so no Human connection to be a good resource to the associates

It’s now work harder not smarter with the new initiatives. Systems are ancient.

Too much office duties for Sales managers (more added often) yet they don’t want you in the office.

Overworked and under payed. However location matters.

Associates are ok. It’s retail. How the head/store manager manages is what you see on store level (Low moral )
Fun workplace
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 19, 2019
I would love to get recruited as a cashier and stay within the company for at least 1 year and longer.

Also I would love to come back to the Macy’s downtown.
Fun place to work with flexable hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 19, 2019
Daily sales needed to be met. Opening new credit cards was an important
goal . Over all was a good working enviroment, other employees were
supportive and plesant to work with.
temp job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, NJ 08648June 19, 2019
job was ok overworked majority of the time understaffed badly. only good thing was the hour lunch breaks if you worked a 8 hour shift. Wasnt horrible but didnt have the advantage of becoming full time or oart time after the season which was confusing being as though we were understaffed so bad
Macy’s environment
Sales Associate and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJune 18, 2019
Management expect too much from associates and very stressful job and I as 5th top sales person could only get 20 cents of raise After my annual review.
Fun workplace
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJune 18, 2019
I like the work environment, fun management and how the system works. Need to focus on taking care of the employees like how they took care of the customers.
expect way too much for far too little pay
Sign Team/Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 18, 2019
It's like any other job management is made up of people who just don't care and a few good ones but overall they expect way too much for minimum wage. Hours are hard to come by I was able to work in two different depts that's how I've been able to last this long (8 months). Please don't bother with this company unless you're ok with being treated nicely until you are no longer willing or able to be available whenever they want.
Pros
up to 60 hrs of straight pay during the holidays
Cons
no hours and horrible pay
Temporary holiday position.
Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dublin Tuttle mallJune 18, 2019
Very low pay with a 1 percent commission. No chance for advancement as a holiday sales associate. Only an employee discount which I did not utilize. Fun change from healthcare.
Pros
Some free holiday food
Cons
Low pay
Alright environment, with little supervision
Customer Service Sales (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 18, 2019
I was hired to fulfill one position, but ended up all over the store with little training or supervision. Lots of busy work handed to me with hardly any purpose, and I never knew who was in charge.
Productive place to work
Fine Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJune 18, 2019
This job consists helping customers, ringing up sales, online order fulfillment, and stocking. Must be able to multi-task. The hardest part is getting a break.
Macy's treats all employees as individuals, just what every employee should want.
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Meriden, CTJune 18, 2019
Macy's has been a retail giant for many years and is constantly changing the way they do business to try and stay ahead of customer demands in the ever changing world of retail.
Pros
Diversity of coworkers
Cons
Hour lunches

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.

58.9K

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

71%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

68%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss