Macy's Employee Reviews

36.5K
22.1K
11.5K
Found 25,852 reviews matching the search See all 25,936 reviews
Easy to create balance with personal and professional
MK Footwear Manager (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLAugust 13, 2018
Macy's is a world renown company. Working under commission is difficult but if you have school or a life outside of work this company can give that to you.
Pros
Flexable hours
Cons
Late nights
I have enjoyed workint at Macys although I am seeking a position closer to my home. I have been working there for 5 years this November.
Credit and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 12, 2018
i work 10 to 6:30 Monday through Friday in the Billing Adjustments Department. My department's jobs are being moved to another regional office and I am currently training for a Customer Service position. The people are very nice. The hardest part of the job is having to learn as you go..the training only provides about half of what is needed to handle the customer service position. I do not like not knowing what I'm doing and having to put a customer on hold while I seek answers.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
training is lacking
Nice Place, but management wasn't great, and the coworkers were pretty rude.
Seasonal Cosmetics Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 12, 2018
Coworkers were really judgemental. A lot of bad management. The good thing about Macy's is working there for the discounts. Some of the people are nice.
Productive , Learning about all the new clothes line and styles
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INAugust 12, 2018
Moving merchandise from stock room to correct area in the store, Organizing clothes racks . Putting the sizes of clothing in there proper place either on the clothes rack or shelf. Management was ok.
Time deadline was the hardest part. Trying to get the job quickly
before the store opened was the hardest I enjoyed learning about the different clothes brands that were stocked in the store.
fun flex envirment
Lead Department Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Northridge, CA 91324August 12, 2018
a fast pace work environment... must be quick to pick up especially during holiday season. flex schedule. able to pick up hours or give away. getting to see your regular clients... pre-selling and of cousre the discounts. unable to find or get a hold of management went you get difficlut customers.
Pros
flex enviorment
Cons
bad coverage lack of management
fun workplace
Retail Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 12, 2018
Enjoyed my time working here, the workers were very helpful. I learned about managing a group and what it is to interact with customers. This was one of my best jobs.
positive work environment with good leadership
Order Specialist/Multiple Departments (Former Employee) –  Buckeye, AZAugust 12, 2018
I was quickly cross trained, enjoyed my coworkers, typical day started in one department and because of my drive and motivation i wanted to gain the knowledge and work experience to move ahead and offered to stay late most days, my managers took it upon themselves to ensure that i was trained and able to accomplish my daily goals along with challenged me to achieve more than just my daily expected work duties.
Pros
close to my location
Cons
Long breaks, lunch options were limited and expensive
Sales Associate Fine Jewelry (Former Employee) –  Maplewood Mall, MNAugust 12, 2018
I loved my job working in Fine Jewelry. Employees were amazing and Macys really does make sure their employees are taken care of. You always had enough 15 minute breaks to get off your feet and lunch breaks were always between 30-45 minutes. If I wouldn't have to had to move I would definitely still be working there.
Pros
Commission pay plus good hourly pay, Weekly pay, Employee discount, Great team of people even all the management teams
Fun place to work at
Full Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAAugust 12, 2018
Macy's:
I've worked here for about 2.5 years. I loved working at Macy's to be fair. You get really close to your coworkers and typically the management is really chill. Management here consists of 1 legit store manager and a bunch of department managers. All the department managers are all really chill because they used to work at Macy's in sales and then after a year or two you can get promoted to Department Manager. You'll get paid minimum wage here though. Scheduling is like, they'll give you a couple shifts and then there's this website that you and your coworkers can give or request hours to each other. Except certain Fridays and Weekends they'll make you work. They have this point system for tardiness and call outs. You start with 9 points and you lose half a point for being late after 10minutes and a whole point or calling out. Once you're out of points you're terminated. Overall, pretty fun place to work. I've made a lot of long term friends here. They only bad thing is the stingy couponers who dont get what they want after they find out their coupon doesnt work.
Pros
Friendly staff, flexible shifts, long breaks
Cons
Standing on your feet, can't use phones on floor, discounts suck
Awful
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVAugust 11, 2018
It is an awful place to work. Employees are forced to meet insane deadlines. The conditions inside the warehouse are sweltering. People sometimes get taken away on medical carts that drive around.
Security is insanely tight, but that is understandable at least.
Honestly though I would work there again. It's one of the best places pay wise in my area, and it's easy to get in when they need seasonal employees.
Great when you have no options.
Pros
Seclusion
Cons
Short breaks, insane standards, unorganized, extremely fast paced
macys
Clarins Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLAugust 11, 2018
Macys was a good job i got to management myself since i was a counter manager i did make up and facials. I learned about the products clarins had to offer so i could teach the clients.
Macys
Customer Service/ Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 11, 2018
Work was great. had some great staff when I was there. Sad i had to leave but i learned a lot when i was there. I really liked finding where all the clothes had to go in the beginning it was hard but after awhile you figure it out. Working the fitting room was new to me on how customers were not to bring their items out and put on rack but i kept it clean and put it all back where they got it from which was fun.
Pros
Interacting with customers, and learning from the employees
Cons
working evenings or slow days
fast pace
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLAugust 11, 2018
You work hard for little or nothing the manager was very disrespectful I was a hard and fast worker at Macy's I really don't have nothing nice to say about Macy's
Pros
No Pros
Cons
A lot of CONS
Direct manager's attitude was condescending
Cosmetics Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre Township, PAAugust 11, 2018
Direct Manager was very condescending, had favorites,promises were broken. I felt because I was older, I was negatively targeted by my manager. My hours were cut to part time after I gave a two week notice.
Pros
enjoyed the cosmetic brand I worked for.
Cons
manager's demeanor.
fun
Macy's Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLAugust 11, 2018
Working for Macy's was a great experience. i enjoyed meeting new people. Getting paid weekly is amazing. The hardest part is engaging customer to open credit.
help customer find what there looking for
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Peabody, MAAugust 11, 2018
log into computer do picks, (customer orders) clean fitting room bring cloths back to depts. rings items at register. Take returns organize cloths on racks
Pros
meeting people
Cons
pay, medical, cleaning fitting rooms
Decent job overall
Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Short Hills, NJAugust 11, 2018
It's a shame that online retailing giant Amazon is forcing many Macy's stores to be closed. I had a very good experience over there as a support manager.
a wonderful e to work
support merchdiser (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAAugust 10, 2018
being the enjoyable of my part time job at Macys was a great experience. I loved working with great employees I liked doing my job there at Macys. I liked working with the store managers and with counter managers.
Working is not stressful
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Laguna Hills Mall (closed)August 10, 2018
It's nice working, as it's not always busy but you have to do other jobs like folding men's t-shirts and putting go backs to their proper places cleaning up the mess before you leave.
Pros
Got a lot of training and seminars.
Cons
Lack of supervision.
Nice lounging area
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORAugust 10, 2018
Dealing with costumers every day. There was little support form management when issues would arise. The expected a lot of work effort out of the sales associates and were unwilling to help when it was needed to get tasks done in a timely manner.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macy's. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight