Macy's
Happiness rating is 66 out of 100

Macy's Employee Reviews

Found 34,198 reviews matching the search
Featured review
Macy's selected this as a representative review
Your learn a lot with your co-workers and management. There's always tasks to do in a fun environment. Very flexible with hours worked. Short breaks and busy during the holidays.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
N/a
Worked there as a nursing student. Was very flexible with my schedule and managers easy to talk to. I like my co workers and everyone was friendly. Plus the Macy money.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Short breaks, can't sit down
Biggest and Best assortment of Merchandise but only at high volume locations.Set up to fail prior to leaving as top talent was forced out.Everyone showed up ready to do a great job but left discouraged at the end of the day.
I greatly enjoyed my time at Macy’s. Management was ok. Could’ve been a little better, but wasn’t the worst. My team was awesome. Couldn’t have asked for a better team to work with. The job was very relaxed and a great environment to work in overall. If the Carbondale store didn’t go out of business, I’d still be there and I’d recommend it to others
Pros
Hour lunches, great people
Cons
Lack of substantial hours
My first day at Macy's was Black Friday, and I was put in menswear. For context, I was a 22 year old woman at the time, and had never fitted, nor sold a suit in my life. It was utter chaos, and I ran off and cried in the back room for a minute, but my managers and coworkers saved the day. Training was more than adequate, most of my coworkers we're friendly and more than willing to help me learn, and my managers were great. The hours weren't regular, but I usually managed to get at least 30 a week. The worst part, honestly, was the customers, especially around Back Friday and Christmas. That being said, coworkers, management, and security stood up for us. Lots of standing and walking, especially on fulfillment shifts, but breaks are enforced, and you can work as much or as little as you'd like.
Pros
Management, flexible hours
Cons
Customers are terrible people, lots of standing/walking/carrying
Depends on your job role, for me took a long time to get into the swing of things cause I was never properly trained always expected to know what to do. After a while I got used to it and stopped being so closely watched, like that you can use your phone all day on the floor as long as you’re attentive to customers when they need help.
Managers do not care about their employees, you have no life outside work and even if you are sick in the hospital, they do not care and will deduct points and eventually fired you.
I was only a seasonal employee, but I absolutely loved it while it lasted.I worked in the makeup department while I was a cosmetology student and it couldn't have been a better set up. I loved my co-workers, the hours were relatively flexible, and it's was a great opportunity to work in retail.
As big box retail dies in competition with Amazon, Macy's will find every excuse why they couldn't give you an adequate raise because "business was bad." Your work ethic and commitment to the company is only a third of your employee review. The rest of your raise is dependent upon how much customers like your store, and whether your store has made it's sales goal. As the company cuts hours and positions due to budgets, it creates a positive feedback loop of unhappy customers and poor sales. You will never get a good raise here and commission sales are being phased out. If you excel at retail and are looking to be rewarded for that, do not work for Macy's.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Management gets their positions from being good at sales, not because they are good with management.
Wouldn't recommend hours horrible have to clock out to use the bathroom. Totally micromanage no advancement they are laying off left and right don't see why they are still hiring
Pros
Nice cafe
Cons
Hours managers no advancement or changes allowed in frst year HR lies in interview
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Macy's?
I've always said that you meet some of the best people in "lousy" jobs and that was definitely the case here. From my manager, to my coworkers, to upper management, everyone one was super kind and helpful. It was my first time in a truly retail environment but everyone was so kind i was a little shocked to find that it wasn't the norm at other jobs once I left. All that being said, it's retail. My main job (putting up the signage) had to be completed before the store opened which means I was there super early. Also the customers weren't always the kindest, the non-stop music would burn a hole in my brain, my feet hurt, and I was only allowed to wear all black outfits. But overall, if the pay was better, I would love to go back. Honestly, the best part was being able to listen to music while working and re-directing customers to sales associates so I didn't have to talk to them. Also getting to know first hand when the sales were (duh, I was putting up the sales signs) and what items were on sale/clearance. Not a bad job, but also not a well paying one either. Also, even though its downtown and they could've definitely made me find free parking or pay for parking myself else were, they gave me a free pass to use in a nearby lot! Most jobs leave you to your own devices!
Pros
People, work environment, early access to sales, Employee discount, parking pass
Cons
Inconsistent hours (some weeks I would work 2 days), pay, Black friday
five stars it is fun and motivational!They care and celebrate your sucess. they have meeting every morning.they understand your needs.they always trying to reach ut for bonus and awards for your good work. they clients are pleasant and happy with the store. they love to visit often.
Pros
free lunches sometimes
Cons
breaks too
Managers don't care about associates.They pay peanuts to employeesNo proper instructions on how to perform job wellIt is mess after sales Old employees don't like seeing new faces
The company really doesn’t care about the associates and the managers are all messy it’s always some drama very negative work environment I wouldn’t recommend anyone to try and make a career at this place
Pros
First dibs on sales
Cons
Everything else
Loved the people I worked with but not enough hours given. I needed more than just part time hours and that is what I was given while working there. I enjoyed working with most people though.
Good work environment , decent hours good managers that actually care about you overall good place to work at for students since you can pick up extra hours or give shifts away.
My main concern with working at Macy's was the required goal for opening Macy's cards. The location I worked at was too small of a community, thus most of my customers were returning customers who already own a Macy's card. The only other customers I got were Japanese tourists, and it would be unreasonable to make them apply for a US credit card, with no means of paying for it when they return to Japan (assuming payments for the card should be made in-store) and inherently no utility unless they visit again (there's no Macy's in Japan).
Pros
Kind managers, willing to train, friendly coworkers.
Cons
Macy's Card goal requirement.
You seceded only if you are trendy not a place for working mothers. You have to be trendy your successes is not based on performance. It is based in if your DM likes you or not. Higher ups will put you down and award others for your progress.
I enjoyed and looked forward to helping the customers, but sometimes the company standards were a bit confusing. It was where the customers was always right even though the company policies did not seem important any longer. Especially the return policy. I did enjoy my job for the most part, but sometimes I was also confused on what my responsiblities were exactly. I feel like I gave my 110% of my job requirements but was not appreciated as such.
Pros
Making my customers happy.
Cons
The management decisions
Needs way more pay.Some of the people there are nice and the community can be good but it can also be bad. They ask a lot for the exchange of what they pay, very unequal. Some of the rules weren't enforced be a safety and risk factors for others. It's a team effort so if someone slacks off you get stuck doing the work and picking up after. They provide little to no benefits unless full time. In some areas they work you way more with compensation, why would you work a harder area if others are getting payed the same with less work?
Pros
Flexible hours, Some nice people
Cons
Pay for work is not good, Work amount is terrible, goals met are a joke and require more incentive
Friendly employees. Employee activities and gatherings. Nice pay PLUS commission. Employees receive discounts. I’d recommend this job to teens and young adults.
  1. Employee Reviews