Mad Science

Mad Science Employee Reviews

5 hours maximum per week
only one hour class on weekdays so its great pay but for only a max of 5 hours a week it is not worth it. its was fun metting the kids and doing experiments wit them but its just not enough hours
Pros
kids were fun to work with
Cons
not wnough hours
Horrible management
Horrible management including disrespect between the owners and insincerity and dishonesty toward employees. There are absolutely no benefits and no opportunities for growth.
It's okay if you have low expectations and do not get too involved
Honestly I wanted to love this job and this company, but management is awful and leaves the instructors to fill the gaps with missing equipment and written materials we should have. Communication isn't great and you aren't guaranteed any amount of hours or pay which is not great if you have bills. However, if you are a college student looking to make some quick and easy cash, this is an alright opportunity especially if you plan on teaching. Just know you don't get reimbursed for all of your time or gas money, you aren't guaranteed consistent working hours/income, and management can be so absent leaving it up to instructors to scramble to make things work. I definitely felt that I had to do way more than what I was being paid for just to make sure the kids had a meaningful time. Overall, not worth being involved.
Relax part time job but too much commute
The big problem is the schedule. You have too much commute and with the Bay area traffic, doesn't work. The milage paying is unfair. But the atmosphere of job is really good.
Fun place to work
Fun place to work for college aged applicants. You have to enjoy working with kids and be comfortable speaking in front of large groups of people,as well as be willing to drive to different schools.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Okayish job with Abnormal Management
Honestly this job would be a lot easier and more fun with better management. Sometimes I would not have instruction on a kit before I had to teach it to kids.
Very Fun Place To Work
Mad Science has been an amazing and unique experience. You definitely get out what you put in. If you go into every assignment with an open mind and a desire to do well then it will be one of the most enjoyable and fun ways to make money. The Greater Kansas City Team is awesome and always growing.
Fun work
I enjoy getting kids excited about science and getting paid for it! Better than classroom teaching. You don't have to deal with parents and admins as much. Part time mostly to start and no benefits.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Mad Science?
Fun and engaging
Mad Science gives you all the tools you need to go into a classroom and be a science guru. My only complaint with Mad Science of the Bay Area was their tendency toward favoritism. I was sent to schools that were far away from me because people in positions of authority were giving the classes closer to me to other people who wanted them, and apparently were bribing them somehow. I never figured out the bribery system, so I continued to get screwed throughout my one year tenure with the company.
Great bosses!
I felt very well supported as an employee here. The staff is great, and working with the kids is so so so much fun. I loved going to work everyday so much.
Easy Part Time Job
Being an after school program teacher for Mad Science is a great part time job. You may teach one to two classes a day and it's based off of your availability that you set before the semester starts. You start by getting paid $30 for the hour and sometimes get travel pay depending on how far the school is from your house. There are also birthday parties, workshops, and shows that you can get paid for.
Sometimes the kits are really dry and kids aren't super into the program but it all depends on how you set the tone for the class in the beginning of the semester.
Pros
Flexible, easy
Cons
No room for growth
Great people to work with
I had no problems with staffs and management. The job is very easy going as long a you keep good communications with the team. Be prepared to drive a lot.
Pros
pay was well
Cons
lots of driving
Mad indeed
Management is a mess. If you don't brown nose them, they don't care for you.

They mismanaged your time and are extremely disrespectful. They don't seem to have much of a clue on how to run a business.
Pros
Working with children. Teaching science.
Cons
The entire management team.
Fun but disorganized
I like working here and its a fun experience but sometimes its a little disorganized. The employees are great and work their very best to get things done.
Pros
provides air conditioning, bathrooms, and a refrigerator
Cons
It gets a little disorganized
Great job to have
I loved working for Mad Science, it was not only rewarding but the community of workers are fantastic! The company revolves around learning and fun. only down fall is if you live away from the city it is quite a bit of driving
Fantastic Group of Professionals
The Mad Science of Colorado team is really a wonderful group. They are passionate about collaborating and helping you feel not just prepared, but confident, to walk into a classroom and excel with the content at hand. The office culture is the most positive that I have experienced as they sincerely care about you as a person and want you to succeed with the curriculum.
Pros
collaboration, flexible hours, positive culture, thoughtful management
Cons
not a full time position
Low hours, great pay, perfect for students
You go through training to teach and entertain children with science. You work fast and make sure all the kids are enjoying the educational experience. For some people it is more of a performance. It is a fun job and great for those looking to make a little more money.
Mad Scientist
You basically travel to different schools on different days and teach the students about different types of sciences, like anatomy, chemistry, geology, etc
Pros
you make your own hours
Great part-time gig, not meant for long term.
Great schedual, rude management, a lot of sexism, a lot of elitism, great party/ entertainment aspect when it came to doing classes. Fun times with the children.
Pros
scheduals
Cons
rude management and favoritism
Great coworkers
The environment was very laid back and relaxing! It takes a lot of time and patience to work with children in such a setting but I would recommend this experience for anyone looking to work with children.
Good part time
This is a good company to work for if you've got extra time on your hands. Their biggest opportunity is teaching groups of younger grades within the CPS system, although you can also run a class and earn a little more or work the open houses and street fairs if you don't like working for kids.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mad Science. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
2.8
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight