Madewell

Madewell Employee Reviews

Supportive and progressive environment
Working for Madewell (J. Crew Group) is one of the best things I could have done for refreshing my career. I had the privilege to not only practice and improve my selling skills, but I was also given an opportunity to manage my peers. They gave me constructive, respectful feedback that has prepared me for my future positions.
Love it here
I have been working here for year and it is definitely my favorite fashion company I have worked at. It is very team and work life balance oriented and has a great company culture
Pros
Work life Balance
Cons
Commute to LIC
Retail
Basic retail management job; company discount was good plus discount was applied to JCrew as well. Some issues with lack of support from upper management when it came to customer complaints, but overall a decent company to work for.
Loved it
I honestly wish I could work here again; I had such a great experience in this store and with my coworkers. It taught me to like working late and to be more organized
Toxic environment but great discount
You are expected to be part of the "culture" of madewell which is fake. I was lucky enough to get along with some of my coworkers and stay out of the drama, but there was always drama at the work and I saw many, many people leave madewell on bad terms.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Great Place to Work
Madewell was such a great place to work. I met so many fun, passionate people and management truly care about you as a person. There is a great balance between working hard and enjoying the work you do. Customers were amazing and so fun to work with. There are also wonderful discounts offered.
The best company to work for - hands down!
Working for Madewell has only changed my life for the better! My upper management consistently supports, encourages, and strengthens me. I couldn’t be more fortunate to be in the hands of such a great company.
Amazing place to work with even more amazing people!
Working at madewell was even better than I expected, though that job I better learned how to handle stressful situations in the moment and be able to multitask whilst still remaining calm and collected.
Fun and wonderful workplace.
Flexible schedule and the whole team is awesome.The hardest part of the job can be the customers. Great benefits and great clothes! 13/10 recommend working for Madewell!
Creative workplace with nice people
Management gives you plenty of opportunities to work with your strengths, employee discount is great, and the Jcrew company as a whole offers plenty of opportunities for growth
Good Brand
A young environment - it is a good brand with good quality products. Must be willing to work hard and be collaborative. The teams are lean and always looking to learn.
The company is great but Management not so much
So, I feel with retail company’s this a common theme, great company but terrible management. J.Crew is a great company but they have terrible leaders.
Fun Environment
Whether you are opening or closing the team members really support one another to get tasks done. Management can be supportive, really depends on the individual. Overall, you are either recovering the store or styling customers, not a bad place to be.
Madewell is a busy store that allows employees to have a flexible schedule
Great management at Seattle university village location. Easy to get time off work or find someone to cover your shift. This location was particularly busy, especially on weekends. Expect to be running around for most of your shifts on weekends. Tasks included cashier, folding clothes, pulling clothes from the back for customers, creating send sales, packaging items, steaming clothes, and helping customers in the fitting room.
Fun and busy workplace
Working at Madewell was always fun. The managers were great and the staff was always fun to be around. It was a very easy work culture to be apart of.
Pros
Open shifts were placed on a database where they can be picked up.
Cons
Short shifts.
Okay job for HS/college students. Little to No hours Given
The staff and a few of the assistant managers are very cool. Can be a great job if you are starting out in the work field/ in school. When helping costumers of other ethnicities, their vibe tends to come off rude/racist as if every persons $ isn’t important as the next. The store manager her self can come off rude, micro-manage, mean towards some new employees, and very stereotypical towards certain people and situations. The store itself cuts hours so much yet is always hiring people when they have employees who are willing to work for more hours. They show favoritism towards certain employees who are giving more hours then others.
Pros
The discount. Flexible (sometimes) when needed to take off. Paid Weekly.
Cons
Little to no hours are given. Some managers micro manage
Productive Experience
Working at Madewell has trained me to help attend to customer needs, keep standards in the store at their best. I learned a lot about teamwork, and how everyone takes part in achieving daily goals.
I loved working at Madewell. I love fashion so this was a fun place to work for me. It was a small store so it wasn't hard to maintain. You become denim certified and they always do fun things for employees.
Fun mall job
My Madewell location was particularly busy, so the work could at times become overwhelming, but overall it was an enjoyable place to work with adequate compensation.
Loved every aspect
From the management to the product, Madewell made me fall in love with working retail. Management was always patient while I learned and invested huge amounts of trust in my creativity. I also thrived here because we were taught to be honest with the customer, we were never told to lie just to get a sale. Management valued honesty and building relations with customers. I not only recommend the product, but I also recommend a job with Madewell.
Pros
Management, team collaboration, great product
Fun and Collaborative Workplace
Day to day, Madewell is an awesome place to work. As with most retail jobs, weekends can be busy and extremely stressful, but coworkers continue to work together and stay positive. Discounts are among the best in the industry and you can score tons of great pieces that aren't good enough to be sold to the Madewell customer base but are fine for employees such as pieces that are worn and washed by customers and returned or pieces with small rips or snags that can be easily fixed at home. The team is so supportive and there's a strong vibe of "girls supporting girls." Sundays are shorter work days, rollout shifts are tiring but fun and infrequent. Madewell is a great place to work for a college or high school kid, not the best if you're looking for a full time position as a sales associate.
Pros
Discounts, Snacks, Frequent Breaks
Cons
No "Benefits", Part-Time only associates
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Madewell. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
4.1Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight