Madison School & Community Recreation Employee Reviews

It’s a fun place to work at
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 14, 2018
Flexible , Good job and big responsibility but it’s a good working pace and on top of that you get to work with kids which is pretty awesome if you love kids which I do
Great part-time job for students
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 26, 2018
I worked with MSCR during college. It's a great way to gain working experience in a school setting. During the school year, I worked with the after-school program. Some days can be challenging but it's an overall rewarding job.
Pros
the kids, flexibility
Rewarding but challenging
Afterschool Director (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 4, 2018
This will likely be both the most rewarding and most difficult job you'll ever have. The hours can be long, there is no shortage of problems to solve, and procedures and rules constantly change.

I started out loving my job and ended up being so ready to leave because of poor infrastructure, a ridiculous workload for the level of compensation, and very stressful work conditions.

MSCR is a great stepping stone to other opportunities, but most directors do not stick around for a long time because they end up feeling underappreciated and burnt out.
Pros
meaningful work, lots of opportunity for autonomy and creativity, excellent benefits
Cons
poor leadership, lack of appreciation by superiors, unreasonable workload
Amazing
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 12, 2018
This is a great job and a great opportunity to give back to your community while having fun and creating fun for those enrolled. I would recommend this job to anyone!
Great part time job
Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 8, 2018
I work evenings in the recreation department. Its a great, easy, part time job. No benefits or vacation of course, but my supervisor is flexible and supportive. Awesome for students.
Working With kids has been great
Elementary Director (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 13, 2017
Working for Madison School and Community Recreation has been a whirlwind. Hiring and management wise, I have no complaints. Open communication and inclusive practices are focal points in both student and staff relations, and staff-staff relations.
Pretty good.
Literacy Tutor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 9, 2017
I worked in a good school with a very responsible and very decent boss. I enjoyed working with this person. Oh, please. How much more do I need to say? She was a decent person to work with!
Best part of the job
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 22, 2017
The kids! I liked working with the wide variety of children that came to child care or visited our booth Our manager was super easy and flexible to work with as well.
Stressful but worth it
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 24, 2017
MSCR is a great thing for anybody to do that plans on working with children, education, or social work and many others

Basically you're a summer school teacher and have the afternoons to plan activities for your class.

Depends on who you're working with because many sites are different
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Stressful
High energy workplace
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 3, 2017
Great coworkers and amazing kids. Working for Madison School and Community Recreation has been the highlight of my life. I recommend it to anyone. Many different sites to choose from.
five star
Junior Leader (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 21, 2017
I love waking up just to come to work to see those little faces. Working with kids helped me build my patients for others. because of those kids i got to help be better made me a better person today
Lots of turnover, but all around positive
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 27, 2017
Difficult to obtain full time hours. Fun atmosphere. Young employees which leads to a lot of turnover. Few benefits until you have been around for years.
Pros
Fun city
Cons
Few hours
Very refreshing and fun environment
Assistant Director Meadowood Neighborhood Center (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 7, 2016
I really enjoy the ability to work with youth and being able to provide some exposure to the community. I have to wear several different hats which can be a strain at times because of the infrastructure in place. I really enjoy my superiors and my co-workers. the hardest part of my job, is the fact I have to hold TWO full-time positions for the price of on, but I am a team player do what needs to be done because the mission is to provide for the community and families we serve.
Pros
Being able to expose diverse families to opportunities
Cons
No diversity, or upward mobility
Madison School and Community Recreation
Counselor/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 30, 2015
MSCR gives employees the opportunity and freedom to develop personalized daily agendas for elementary school students. The job develops organizational skills as employees are in charge of a classroom of students for five hours a day. Employees are asked to develop agendas that students will enjoy and learn from. Employees act as teachers, supervisors, and friends as they work with students to grow in every facet of elementary education.

Employees also learn how to work as a team as they coordinate schedules with supervisors of students from many different age groups. The team would meet at the end of every day to discuss what methods of teaching work best and how to fix any problems that arise. Communication skills are strengthened daily as employees meet with the parents of students to talk about their child's growth in the program.
Great people to work with, but harder to get a full-time position
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 23, 2015
As a part timer that started as a junior leader, I found it hard to see this company as a viable option to pay most of my bills. Getting part-time and sporadic work was easy enough, but finding a position full-time was not.
Pros
Great people all around to work with and for
Cons
Not many positions, highly sought after
Fun workplace with great team members
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 26, 2015
No two days are alike. It is a joy to assist young kids in the community and help promote education and building friendships. Quite an entertaining workplace to say the least.
Pros
Field trips, create your own schedule for your class, personalize your classroom
Cons
Time consuming
Exciting and fun place to help young students grow and develop.
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 6, 2015
Supervised over 55+ students in an educational environment. Trained, evaluated, and oversaw many different program leaders to ensure structured and consistent spaces for the students. Additional management of school budget and legal documents gave me valuable real life experience for my interests.
Pros
Field trips, general atmosphere, and co-workers
Cons
short term, no benefits
Awesome experience
PROGRAM LEADER (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 21, 2015
Hands on with children the whole entire time you are working. Child supervision and group leader. On a typical day it is much like school for the kids. They eat, play, and learn. Its my job as a program leader to interact with the children, making sure to build and guide them throughout their experience providing them with whatever interpersonal communication skills these kids might be missing at home. A lot of what we get coming in are students who live in disadvantaged homes. When they come in its our job to meet them where they are in terms of needs. The hardest part of the job is just knowing that these kids are all coming from different walks of life. Your interactions with them really open your eyes to what else might be out there as well as how different kids are based off of environment alone. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you are making a difference in a child's life by just being there and being consistent. Most of them are missing out on consistency which causes them to behave and think certain ways.
Pros
The upward mobility of career and heart felt fulfillment of the job
Superb
Aquatic Site Director (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 9, 2015
MSCR is a dream company to work for. The staff and management are incredible, they pay is fantastic compared to other employers, and the community is rewarding to work with.
Pros
Good pay, good coworkers
Cons
Difficult to make a career out of
fun workplace with great kids and staff
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 2, 2014
I had a lot of fun working with MSCR. I did some coaching and was surprised by the low turnout of kids for teams.