Madison School & Community Recreation Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Rewarding but challenging
Afterschool Director (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 4, 2018
This will likely be both the most rewarding and most difficult job you'll ever have. The hours can be long, there is no shortage of problems to solve, and procedures and rules constantly change.

I started out loving my job and ended up being so ready to leave because of poor infrastructure, a ridiculous workload for the level of compensation, and very stressful work conditions.

MSCR is a great stepping stone to other opportunities, but most directors do not stick around for a long time because they end up feeling underappreciated and burnt out.
Pros
meaningful work, lots of opportunity for autonomy and creativity, excellent benefits
Cons
poor leadership, lack of appreciation by superiors, unreasonable workload
Working With kids has been great
Elementary Director (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 13, 2017
Working for Madison School and Community Recreation has been a whirlwind. Hiring and management wise, I have no complaints. Open communication and inclusive practices are focal points in both student and staff relations, and staff-staff relations.
Pretty good.
Literacy Tutor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 9, 2017
I worked in a good school with a very responsible and very decent boss. I enjoyed working with this person. Oh, please. How much more do I need to say? She was a decent person to work with!
High energy workplace
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 3, 2017
Great coworkers and amazing kids. Working for Madison School and Community Recreation has been the highlight of my life. I recommend it to anyone. Many different sites to choose from.
Very refreshing and fun environment
Assistant Director Meadowood Neighborhood Center (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 7, 2016
I really enjoy the ability to work with youth and being able to provide some exposure to the community. I have to wear several different hats which can be a strain at times because of the infrastructure in place. I really enjoy my superiors and my co-workers. the hardest part of my job, is the fact I have to hold TWO full-time positions for the price of on, but I am a team player do what needs to be done because the mission is to provide for the community and families we serve.
Pros
Being able to expose diverse families to opportunities
Cons
No diversity, or upward mobility
Madison School and Community Recreation
Counselor/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 30, 2015
MSCR gives employees the opportunity and freedom to develop personalized daily agendas for elementary school students. The job develops organizational skills as employees are in charge of a classroom of students for five hours a day. Employees are asked to develop agendas that students will enjoy and learn from. Employees act as teachers, supervisors, and friends as they work with students to grow in every facet of elementary education.

Employees also learn how to work as a team as they coordinate schedules with supervisors of students from many different age groups. The team would meet at the end of every day to discuss what methods of teaching work best and how to fix any problems that arise. Communication skills are strengthened daily as employees meet with the parents of students to talk about their child's growth in the program.
Great people to work with, but harder to get a full-time position
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 23, 2015
As a part timer that started as a junior leader, I found it hard to see this company as a viable option to pay most of my bills. Getting part-time and sporadic work was easy enough, but finding a position full-time was not.
Pros
Great people all around to work with and for
Cons
Not many positions, highly sought after
Fun workplace with great team members
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 26, 2015
No two days are alike. It is a joy to assist young kids in the community and help promote education and building friendships. Quite an entertaining workplace to say the least.
Pros
Field trips, create your own schedule for your class, personalize your classroom
Cons
Time consuming
Superb
Aquatic Site Director (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 9, 2015
MSCR is a dream company to work for. The staff and management are incredible, they pay is fantastic compared to other employers, and the community is rewarding to work with.
Pros
Good pay, good coworkers
Cons
Difficult to make a career out of
fun workplace with great kids and staff
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 2, 2014
I had a lot of fun working with MSCR. I did some coaching and was surprised by the low turnout of kids for teams.
Fun, unbeat, energetic, physical job!
Junior Leader (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 1, 2014
A typical day at MSCR would consist of, coming in to a bunch of adorable kids smiling at me! Excited to see me. :) Id spend most of the day planning activites, playing games, teaching writing and reading, going on field trips and then some. MSCR was a very busy job, and i loved every second of it!!!
Mscr
Basketball/volleyball Coach (Former Employee) –  madison,wiJanuary 29, 2014
Work with children
Help with youth with sports and also schools
good entry level job
After School Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 16, 2014
you will have a good time working with kids. you will be able to help with homework and sports
Pros
working with kids
A great place to work.
Soccer Coach/ Referee (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 21, 2013
I coach outdoor/indoor soccer to U3-U13 for this respectable company teaching the kids the basics of the fundamentals of the sport and advanced levels as well. I'm also a referee officiating MSCR organized league games from U3-U10 weekly. I've learned to be patient with the kids and also teach them tactics and techniques as a referee. Management is well put together and co workers are respectable and highly tolerable. The Hardest part sometimes is dealing with the overzealous parents that watch their children play. I enjoy coaching and officiating the kids because it brings so much joy and discipline to their being.
First job
Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 14, 2013
MSCR was my first job outside of college and it was a great learning experience that I use now.