Madison Square Boys & Girls Club Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Fun and productive
Empowering youth leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 20, 2018
Inspiring, fun, educational, productive, comforting, competitive, role models, self emproving love and a great team and director. Flexible work place.
Madison square boys & girls club
FRONT DESK RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NY 11691September 28, 2017
Front desk receptionist
Received callers at establishment, determined nature of business and directed callers to destination.
Arranged appointments with person called upon
Operated telephone console to receive incoming messages
its a great fun enivorment working with the youth.
Teen Center Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 26, 2017
I enjoy seeing the youth develop into themselves with the guidance from the staff while sharing life experiences with each other. The passion the staff have for the members is amazing.
Madison Square Boys & Girls Club
Human Resources Administration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 5, 2017
I enjoyed working around the children because my passion and goal is to own a daycare. i would recommend the company having meetings to coordinate weekly schedules for participants attending the program and every staff have a copy of the schedule.
Kids were great, management was very disrespectful
Director (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 29, 2017
The worst experience I ever had in more than 20 years of experience. Corporate bullies thrive there. Direct service staff can learn basics of youth development.
Pros
Interaction with youth
Cons
Micro management, never a good time to have time off.
Please be careful how you hitch your star to this wagon.
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 10, 2017
The culture is unstructured, and lack motivation, but I can work with that as long as the goal is to become more structured and set clear programmatic goals, however the culture is resistant to change which means change for the better is met with fierce resistance. The teen center in Brooklyn has no programming or a daily schedule that speaks to the growth and development of our youth, there is no movie night, no hip hop or modern dance, or yoga....intentional programming is dead. The empowerment director supervises DYCD programming which leaves empowerment program for teens to fall to the way side with no clear direction. The young staff is constantly on their cell phones. The young staff could benefit from training but that seems to evade upper management. The center was recently on a CAP/WIP with a major funder and I am not surprised as to why.

This place lacks consistency and leadership. The turn over among center directors, center managers, assistant center directors, and group leaders are high. There must be serious and thought provoking training among the staff in order for this location to meet and exceed the expectations of parents, teachers, school leadership, DYCD, and funders.
Pros
Healthcare after 30 days.
Cons
Staff culture and lack of training
Junior Staff Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 29, 2017
Was my first job I enjoyed and actually excelled with this organization. Was a stepping stone for me to see what the workforce was really like great staff great environment and nice facilities
Nice place
Director of the Arts (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2017
Working for Madison can be rewarding if your passionate about the work. The kids are amazing but the hours can be hard to deal with at times. It can take alot of getting use to.
Enjoyable position that helps you grow
Juniors Academy Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 29, 2017
I was blessed with the opportunity to work with this exceptional organization. Working here you not only grow close with the youth but also their parents and the community working together to create a safe place for everyone.
Amazing staff that want to create a better future for the kids.
Cultural Enrichment Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 17, 2016
Everyday i created different art activities/lesson plans for children from 1st graders to high schools seniors.These activities helped children learn different skills with various art materials.
Love the B&GC
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 13, 2016
The staff love the kids and work hard to keep a smile on their face.The programs are fit for the kids.
Pros
Cons
I wish all the position was full time
Fun atmosphere
Youth Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 28, 2014
My typical day at work was insuring the safety of members. I learned how to deal with and connect with young people between the ages of 6 and 18. The management was decent at best, I felt a lot more could have been done but wasn't which is not for me to say. I got along well with my co-workers. The hardest part of the jobs was dealing with behavioral issues from members. The most enjoyable part of the job was forming relationships with the members and watching them grow over the years.
Pros
Gaining the experience in working with youth.
Cons
More could have been done to improve the youths experience.
Productive work place and room for growth.
Day Camp Director (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 2, 2014
Completed workshops with youth between the ages of 13-18, on how to attain and retain employment. Provided one on one counseling.
Fun workplace with childern
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, ny May 13, 2013
Hep childern with their homework. Create fun activites for the childern okay and be a friend to them.
Pros
the childern made my day good everyday. loved working with them
Cons
they left me with 20 childern a day by myself, everyday
Productive and fun place to be. I enjoyed working with the children.
Junior Academy Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 20, 2013
It was really fun and an exciting place to be. I've learned so much by working with members, staff and families. I've helped so many members by mentoring and implementing what I've learned while growing up being a member of the clubhouse.
Pros
working with children
Cons
seein some of the members growing up and not choosing the right path in life.
Highly Recommendable
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Far Rockaway ClubhouseOctober 1, 2012
As a prevous employee of the Madison Square Boys & Girls Club, Far Rockaway Clubhouse, I am pleased to admit that this organization offers excellent employment opportunities. Madison provides professional training and development to all staff which allows you to perform at your best. I highly recommend this company to anyone that possess a great passion to work with youth.
Non Profit
OST Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 26, 2012
This company was non profit organization. A day at work was easy going. I would tyoically do all reports that was left for me. For the duration of the day I would sign members in, help parents, take phone calls as well as helped my team when I could.
Pros
liked interacting with the members
Cons
did not like the politics
Great place for a second job.
Technology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 23, 2012
A good place to work with children in an afterschool setting.