Madison State Hospital Employee Reviews

Poor leadership
Behavioral Health Recovery Attendant (Former Employee) –  Madison, INMay 27, 2018
Too much forced OT, favoritism used a lot, and poor leadership by all supervisors. $12 an hour at a job you may not walk away from due to being severely injured or debilitated is NOT worth it.
fun place to work
Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, INApril 9, 2018
has been many years since I worked here and I am sure many things have changed since then. At the time I worked there it was a great place to work and I learned many things.
great work enviroment
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Madison, INMarch 16, 2018
The staff at the hospital were great while i was there they showed me exactly what it was that i needed to do to get the job done the way that they wanted it done and thats what i liked about this job
MSH was a great stepping stone in my career.
Behavioral Health Recovery Attendant (Former Employee) –  Madison, INJuly 6, 2017
MSH was a great stepping stone in my career. It allowed me to gain the knowledge I needed to succeed in my future and it had really great benefits in regards to Health, Vision, and Dental coverage.
Pros
enjoyed working with my co workers, i had a great team
Cons
poorly managed
Stressful
Psychiatric Aide (Former Employee) –  Madison, INMay 6, 2017
I absolutely loved my job here but the pay wasn't fair. I also had a lot of problems with co worker drama. The supervisors had extreme favoritism and the rules only seemed to apply to certain aids. High stress environment and too much drama between staff.
madison state hospital
Secretary > Risk/Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Madison, INAugust 23, 2016
The first 4 years I was secretary to the HRD director. I loved it and my fellow employees. I then worked as the risk manager and I loved it. I enjoyed working with all the employees, the HR department was very helpful
benefits
Cons
none that i think of
Can be stressful
Behavioral Health Recovery Attendant (Current Employee) –  Madison, INDecember 8, 2015
Can sometimes be a fun place to work depending on your co-workers. The job can be stressful though because you are working with mentally challenged patients. Not a lot of room to grow as far as position wise unless you have a nursing license. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that you made a patient smile or feel better.
benefits
Cons
schedule
Not a fun place to work.
Transitional Care Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Madison, INMay 8, 2015
Do not count on raises. Some co workers were ok, other's were super lazy and were brown nosers. Patients were treated fairly by staff.
Great benefits, and room for advancement
Psychiatric Attendant IV (Former Employee) –  Madison, INApril 5, 2015
I worked night shift for Madison. Arrived to work, took report, performed bed checks on all residents, performed night shift duties. Gave report to on coming shift. Documentation through the night.
Direct Care Attendant - Madison State Hospital
Psychiatric Attendant (Former Employee) –  Madison, INOctober 22, 2014
I worked for Madison State Hospital from 2010-2012 as a Psychiatric Attendant (in other words direct care staff/CNA).

I provided direct care to clients with physical, intellectual and developmental disabilities. This included assistants with ADL's (Activities of Daily Living), behavior support plans and dialectical behavior therapy.

The hardest part of my job was adjusting to working in a highly restrictive environment with this population. I found it to be a struggle to house individuals with these types of disabilities in the ways that they were (No outside privileges, restricted TV/phone/food).
The compensation and benefits for this job were very poor. The management at this facility were very ineffective leaders and managers.

The best and most enjoyable part of my job was learning that I enjoyed serving aged and disabled populations. I was able to learn about intellectual disabilities and gain a basic knowledge of human psychology.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Tough working environment, poor pay/benefits
Poor management
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Madison, IndianaJuly 18, 2014
Many of the employees try to push their values on others. Poor management.
Great staff to work with
LPN (Former Employee) –  Madison, INJune 15, 2014
Truly enjoyed most the staff. It gave u the true meaning of a team. I felt most of my time was spent on behavior management instead of nursing care. Very likely to get hurt while on the job. Unsafe environment, made staff more nervous and on edge. Very hard to get the majority of patients to comply with doctor's orders. I did learn so much about redirection and being able to handle scary situations. Hardest part of the job was having to physically restrain patients. I got hurt on numerous occasions. Most patients were very difficult to communicate with. Most enjoyable part was having not only great staff but most were all friends.
Pros
earned time off
Cons
chance of getting hurt badly
Loved working with dementia patients but could be very challenging.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Madison, INDecember 29, 2013
Went in at 2p, received report and gathered info for shift. Vital signs and gather necessary materials for 3-5p med pass. Assist in dinning room with feeds from 5-6p, then go to dinner myself if time warrants. Upon return prepare for 7p med pass, do treatments and med pass, check blood sugars and give HS insulins. Do additional paperwork as necessary such as skin assessments, neurochecks, fall risk assessments, ect. Assist CNA's with ADL's. I learn something new everyday, if something from a patient about themselves current or past, or a new med administration or treatment. Management is always supposed to help if possible, sometimes not able or unsure how. Not always willing to take recommendations from staff, kind of get my way or highway attitude. Hardest part of job is keeping residents calm and positive. Dementia patients feed off on another, if one gets upset or irate, it spreads very quickly so you must always be on your toes and looking out for what might be coming next. The most enjoyable part of my job is when something clicks with a patient and you see the lightbulb come on...they remember someone or something from their past that is positive and the just cannot wait to tell you, they are grinning from ear to ear and so happy. That makes my day.
Pros
Work with excellent co-workers
Cons
Breaks to short if you get one at all
Msh
LPN (Former Employee) –  Madison, INJuly 2, 2013
Poor management except a few. Horrible pay. Always quick to point out the bad but never praise the good. Very hard to get 1st shift position.
Pros
Great coworkers for most part.
Cons
Pay
Poor management
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, INMay 19, 2013
Management wasvery poor, coworkers were great, being able to work in what I went to school for.
Easy, fun
Psychiatric Attendant (Former Employee) –  Madison, INApril 26, 2013
The job is an easy job. It can be stressful but when you see the results of your hard work the stress is well worth it.
Pros
paid time off
Cons
time off requests
worked with people with illness
Nursing assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison INNovember 4, 2012
total care of patients playing games with them and becoming like a family to them.
Pros
the patients, great people that care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Madison State Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Madison State Hospital Reviews by Location