Magellan Health Services Employee Reviews

Best placed I ever worked.
UTILIZATION MANAGEMENT FAX COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 20, 2019
Grateful for the opportunity to work at such a great place for the pass three years. I have no complaints to report; just wish the Miami location was not shut down.
Pros
Relaxed fun environment to work in
Cons
No bad comments to provide
N/a
Provider Services Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 18, 2019
I do not wish to discuss my experiences with Magellan as I really do not have much to say about my time with them. I can say that it has been interesting but not satisfying.
Typical day
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  MichiganMarch 15, 2019
Answering the phone all day. They lay people off. And then they hire at a different call center, when they could have us work from home. They don't have there ducks in a row.
Pros
It was a nice place to work
Cons
Laid off
Questionable place to work
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMarch 12, 2019
The training that you get is cookie cutter, by that I mean that they try to train you on something when they don't even really know what they're doing themselves especially when they take on new assignments. There is a lot of people talking behind other people's backs and acting like you're in high school and necessary drama.
Pros
Good Monday through Friday job if you work in the call center
Cons
Just don't ever have any health issues and have to take time off work
While it last it was a pleasure working for MCC
Customer Service Associate II (Former Employee) –  Miami FLMarch 11, 2019
Unfortunately MCC doors closed in Miami FL. typical day extremely business. Open to learn different departments. Most enjoyably part of the day serving the customers. Enjoyed working with team.
Pros
Ability to learn different departments
Not a great place
Claims Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOMarch 6, 2019
Management was unfair. Promoted and hired their friends. Company lost big account so I decided to leave company. Unsure of stability of company. Great hours and people though.
Great company to work for
Military Life and Family Counselor (Current Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYMarch 5, 2019
Probably my favorite job I’ve had in the counseling field. There are clear objectives to consider but you can focus on helping students within your boundaries.
Pros
Mobile, Uses technology to communicate over traditional office documentation
Cons
Off in summer for school based
Easy job
CALL CANTER AUTHORIZATION REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 28, 2019
THe job its self was good but the supervisiors really dont care about their team, no motivation, no pep talks, they only talk to you when you have done something wrong.
Pros
good shifts
Cons
supervisors
Super Stressed
Inpatient Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 26, 2019
Working for Magellan has been an experience. I have experienced some ups and downs but was able to manage and get the job done, but always very stressful and a lot of favoritism
Pros
Several benefits
Cons
Micromanagement, communication is poor
Department
SIU Investigator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 23, 2019
Due to the nature of the job - HIPAA and sensitive information the department was very secured with limited access without proper credentials.

This job makes you versed in federal, state and licensure for several states and professions that acts as a platform for investigations.
Pros
Cons
Comprehensive research
A company with definite pluses and minuses
Senior Director, Performance Improvement (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAFebruary 23, 2019
The company grew through acquisition. Therefore the company was a bunch of companies put together with which felt like duct tape. Many duplicate systems with lots of disparate data to go along with it. On the plus side, good potential in its product offerings if operations could get things together. Great people for sure.
Pros
entreprenuerial environment
Cons
Lots of duplicate, disparate systems and data
Organization behavior
Provider Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2019
Overall there were too many management that changed so the direction was lost in changes of management. Without a leader with a vision the ship doesn't get to the right destination.
Magellan overview
Project Management (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 11, 2019
Excellent company in many areas. Tremendous opportunity for growth of personal skill sets. You will be challenged but find that many employees are more than willing to guide you,
Pros
work life balance
Cons
Lots of moving parts
Good position but not stable
Military Family Life Counselor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 7, 2019
The position for this review is MFLC. This job is one of a kind and was one of the best positions I have worked based on the dynamics. However, the pay provided for a licensed person is well below expectations. The salary before the new contract was decent but barely appropriate. Many of the positions were based in the schools which posed a problem because if the school was closed for any reason ,including holidays, you did not get paid unless you used your PTO. There was no guarantee that you would have a position over the summer. This can be a GOOD or BAD situation depending on your need to work. The program was truly amazing but the constant concerns of a inconsistent pay check is very stressful. They have a new contract and the salary was reduced by 5k but you now get paid for holidays. That wasn't much of a trade off when you are REQUIRED to be licensed for this job
Pros
Management, workplace culture, daily schedule
Cons
Salary, job security, Pto
Be careful of which department you work in
Network Service (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOFebruary 7, 2019
The company is overall good. Some managers are horrible and get ride of the best employees they have. They change things to make the employee look like they are wrong. Just be very careful especially if you go to HR with an issue the go straight to your manager and you are in the wrong. Hr does nothing for you.
Pros
Great vacation time
Cons
Management is horrible
Fine place to work
Educator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 6, 2019
Helping the military community in all areas, deployment, life skills, successful transitions. Additionally, employemnt for family members and financial counseling.
Disappointment. Good luck working here!
BH Appeals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 6, 2019
This is truly the worse company to work for. The treatment is based on favoritism, too much gossip, and the boredom will make you fall asleep. I actually observed and photoed my boss dozing off a number of times. They target certain people they do not like and gossip about others with their favorite employees. This department was for BH Appeals Coordinator.
They missed 3 weeks of pay and refused to cut a check until the next pay date. I explained to them that I have rent and other bills, I have the text messages and every single email where they declined to pay. I also have the email where my boss told them the error was his and they still said no. When they paid me on 1/11/19, they paid me not even half and I threatened to go to the media and get an attorney and then, only then, did they said: "give us a couple of days."

I HAVE PROOF OF EVERYTHING!!!!

I LEFT AFTER 3 MONTHS!!!!! AND SO DID 6 OTHERS WHO WERE NEVER TRAINED!! THEY DO'N'T TRAIN,THEY LITERALLY SAID "FIGURE IT OUT!" I HAVE PROOF OF THAT AS WELL

If you choose to work here, GOOOOOD LUCK!!!!
Cons
management, pay, health insurance, inability to speak directly with HR must fill out a form and they will get back to you in a few days, no acountability for their errors, no training, unprofessionalism from HR, I could go on...
Doesn't pay you what you're worth
Military & Family Life Counselor (MFLC) (Current Employee) –  Ft. Polk, LAFebruary 3, 2019
Magellan has good benefits, but when the new contract came up in August 2018, all of us MFLCs got a cut in pay, which was AFTER we were promised a pay raise with the new contract. I went from $33 an hour to $29 an hour. We are micromanaged for almost every hour of our work day, even though all of us are professional counselors and have at least a Master's degree in social work or counseling.

We are pressured to make up time by flexing the hours we lost during a day off. They tell us we are on salary, but that is incorrect. Salary means the same paycheck every payday....we only get paid for the hours we work, and they require we use any PTO time saved up, even if the school or military post is closed,
Pros
Several benefits
Cons
Micromanagement, poor pay, difficult to save PTO time for vacation
Enjoy my time there
Customer Support (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 29, 2019
Everyday is a new challenge and a solid foundation for learning. The owner of the company is very friendly, personable and has an open door policy for all team players. The owner knows all the employees who assist in carrying out the mission statement.
Productive work place
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 26, 2019
This company has excellent benefits. The position has a lot of being on the phone with doctors and customers. It has good points and bad. If you enjoy working on the phone this is the position and company for you.
Pros
Hours are good flexible
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Magellan Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Magellan Health Services.

Powered by Comparably