Magellan Health Services Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Peer Recovery Navigator (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VASeptember 28, 2018
I have been working with Magellan for over 3 years. I worked from home and really enjoyed the work I did. I was able to do telephone peer support as well as getting out in the community and seeing members.

If it wasn't for the contract running out I would not be looking for another job. I am an older worker and they were very respectful of the experience and dedication that I brought to the job.

My supervisor and team mates were very supportive in everything that we did and even though we hardly go to meet face to face we formed genuine bonds with each other and mutual respect for one another. I would recommend working at Magellan for anyone who is willing to work hard and is dedicated to what they do.
Pros
good communication, great benefits, team work
Cons
Not being able to do more face to face with team and administration
Magellan does not care about their employees only the business needs
Not Applicable (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOAugust 15, 2018
I was at Magellan for over 5 years and it was very stressful. They so not take work/life balance into consideration at all. They only care that the business needs of the company are being met, which is somewhat understandable, but I feel they should also work harder to build morale amongst their employees to ensure they are happy. that is a more productive way to ensure the business is ran the way they want it to. They also are constantly restructuring management like a chess game. I would not recommend working for this company.
Pros
the cafe for your daily meals and the visits from random vendors
Cons
benefits, managment, stressful work enviornments, pay increases
Great company, very good health benefits, working environment, supportive management.
MFLC, LCSW (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXNovember 2, 2018
Supportive company, positive working environment, great benefits including health, vision, dental, matching 401(K), vacation, PTO, paid holidays, opportunities to travel and work OCONUS and CONUS, supportive direct management on site, loyal to employees. I love working with the military families, soldiers, spouses, as well as, military personnel. Great company, especially when you compare them to their competitor "Centene/MHNGS/Healthnet!
Pros
Working with the military, flexible scheduling, fun job, rewarding and challenging in a positive manner.
Cons
None.
Care Worker
Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 9, 2018
80% of the day was spent on the telephone speaking with consumers that had to check in with me monthly involving their participation in a treatment program involving the medication Suboxone/Subutex. I also spent part of this time speaking with the patient's doctors and counselors regarding their level of participation and if they were following up on appointments as scheduled. The consumers had to do this in order for their BCBST insurance to continue covering their medication that helped them with their opiate addictions. The other 20% of my day was spent working on data entry into the Magellan and BCBST computer systems from the case notes I had taken throughout the day. I was also responsible for filling out then faxing and/or mailing all required HIPPA and ROI forms for the consumers to sign and return to me, so they could be scanned into the BCBST systems.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
large caseloads
Productive workplace with possibilities of advancement within the department or other departments if seeking change
Clinical Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOOctober 13, 2018
I initially started as a temporary employee and became full-time within 6 months employment was offered full-time during the 6 months once I started I familiarized myself with the company before becoming full-time it has since been 4 years total with the company and after 1 year of employment I became a work at home employee.
Pros
Incentives, lunch menu daily, company benefit discounts, Eap
Cons
Short breaks/lunch, benefits (i.e. FMLA, Loa)
Typical Corporation
Claims (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 3, 2018
I would not recommend coming here.
Managements communication is lacking.
The pay is low as compared to other companies in the market.
The healthcare benefits are not good.
Favoritism is a common thing here, for bonuses and promotions.
My Supervisor is never in the office, so the team does what they please.
The Trainer for the Claims dept. is absolutely terrible and needs replaced - reading documents word for word is not training.
Certain people, who have been with the company a long time, will sit at their desks watching movies all day and are called the teams all-star.
A few perks; discounts, flexible scheduling, and PTO.
Could not advance or move to another department
Provider Services ll (Former Employee) –  Phoenix. AzNovember 5, 2018
I worked for this company for a little over 6 years. In that time, I witnessed so many vet employees quit left and right and couldn’t understand it until I was somewhat a vet myself. Worked from home for almost 5 years of that time. Once I went home there was no help or room for advancement. The management will take certain people under their wing to take the work load off themselves and THOSE are the people the people that actually get more pay and have help advancing into other positions. I was let go because of internet and phone issues with the new company I had to switch over to in another state. I filed unemployment only for this company to fight it and win. Over 6 years of employment just for them to kick me to the curb like that and on top of it take away the only source of income while I search for a job with two kids. They don’t care. Also, I started at $12.50 as a temp, was hired on at 6months making $13, each yeah only being given a raise of .30¢. I ended at $15.97 while others barely being hired on were already making $15 an hour. This company is a revolving door and they truly do not care for their employees or seeing anyone advance.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Management will not help you move up unless your taking their workload off them.
Benefits were good except not paying for many hours overtime worked. Very stressful environment.
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIJuly 25, 2018
Very stressful work environment. Worked many hours overtime for which I was not paid. Audited monthly on many aspects of job. Managers in the Michigan location for the most part were supportive. Supervisors/managers externally (in Texas and Cincinnati offices) were not supportive, very critical, and did not completely understand differences between expectations of Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan, State of Michigan contracts and those of other Blue Cross/Anthem contracts. Hardest part of the job was managing 2 phone lines per Care Manager and couple layers of managers micromanaging employees. Union was very ineffective other than possibly negotiating for decent benefits.
Pros
Good benefits for employee and family members, most coworkers were
Cons
good benefits, most coworkers friendly and helpful
Extremely stressful workplace
Customer Service Associate I/Appeals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 15, 2018
Highly stressful place to work with very difficult customers and questionable higher level leadership. Feels like you have to walk on eggshells in the office and certain people in management were unapproachable and distant. The work expectations were to work till you drop and the compensation was not high enough for the stress and long hours involved.
workplace culture
Military Family Life Consultant (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GASeptember 17, 2018
Compared to other vendors of government contracts, Magellan Health offered many benefits, a competitive salary, and a degree of autonomy. The company did require last minute alterations in one's schedule to attend meetings remotely. Communications from top down was often delayed.
Pros
salary, tuition reimbursement
Cons
time off very limited, required using leave time for federal holidays
Work culture was relaxed in department I worked in.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 31, 2018
It is a fast pace environment. Over the years it has become more stressful. Management was supportive to me and coworkers were wonderful. They pay well and benefits were good.
Pros
Supportive and caring coworkers
Cons
Micromanagement (currently) in some area. Not much room for advancement
Great place for a career
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 21, 2018
I have worked at the company for over 10 years and have grown from a processor to in management. I have been allowed to participate in several implementations/configurations of benefits/project management/Director mentorship program/travel/several work groups/and on the board of appeals. All of these things were outside of my normal duties. Magellan gave me this extra experiences to help me round out my skill set.
Pros
flexibility/benefits/great people
Cons
upper management
N/a
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 3, 2018
Working for Magellan has been a great experience. I have been with the company close to 10 years and in those 10 years I have experienced some ups and downs but was able to manage and get the job done not just on my own but with my teammates. My motto: Teamwork makes the Dream Work. The company offers great benefits and really supports continued education.
Horrible Management and Co-workers
MFLC (Former Employee) –  WorldwideMay 19, 2018
I was an MFLC 8 years before signing on with Magellan with another company and was treated fairly. I took an assignment with Magellan to be closer to home and less travel. What I got was incompetent supervisors, money hungry environment nothing matters to Magellan but there bottom line, yet they tell MFLC's they are appreciated. appreciated to them is taking away more and more money and benefits year in and year out Was a good job...but no more..
Pros
Get to see the world
Cons
poor management, all they care about is money in their pocket not workers, want to to lie on reports so they look good.
Fun and family oriented organization to work!
Customer Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 26, 2018
Fun place to work, interactive with staff and management. Friendly environment and definitely learn as you go within your position to move up the ladder.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Medical Benefits
Productive and Fast Paced
TEAM LEAD - CUSTOMER SERVICE/SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJJuly 12, 2018
Absolutely love this company. Great work life balance; as you were allowed to bring your children to the office. Magellan offers great opportunities for advancement. Comparable salaries and benefits.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
The company closed it's New Jersey Office
Enjoyed my job.
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  4640 Chutney Drive, Antioch, TNAugust 22, 2018
I was one of the lucky ones that worked from home for eight years. I was always able to engage my manager or regional director if needed. I had every tool I needed to do my job as it was required. There was always compassion for personal issues and you felt valuable in your position.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Being tied to contracts that might or might not expire.
Sr. Benefit Plan Configuration Administrator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 7, 2018
No complaints with Magellan. A great place to work. Various positions allow for great flexible in schedule include work from home. Great benefits and extra services and benefits in help employees with work/home life balance.
Health Guide
Health Guide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 11, 2018
Provides ongoing, community-based support for an assigned caseload of health plan enrollees to improve access to care and care coordination. Establishes a relationship with the enrollee, the care coordination team, and providers. Conducts new enrollee outreach and orientation, arranges appointments and transportation as needed. Assists the enrollee in learning to navigate the health care delivery system, community resources, transportation, and effectively use health plan benefits.
Great Company
Lead Corporate Copy Center Print Operator (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MONovember 15, 2018
Magellan Health was a great company to work for. Their benefits package was great. The people that I worked with were talented and friendly. I would recommend anyone to work at Magellan.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Magellan Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Magellan Health Services.

Powered by Comparably