Magellan Health Services Employee Reviews

SQL Server BI/ETL Developer (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAMarch 18, 2018
Recommends
Positive Outlook
Approves of CEO
I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I first came to Magellan via an acquisition and I have to say that it has been one of the greatest things to happen for me both personally and professionally! Magellan Health is a company made up of people that truly care about your success and growth. They listen to your interests and have great programs available to you to increase your knowledge and skills.
One of the things I love most about this company is the people that work here. My colleagues inspire me to dream big and make a difference. They are collaborative, engaging, and encourage new thoughts and ideas. It feels great being able to share those ideas and then seeing them be implemented and come to life.
Finally, I love how innovative and creative this company is; it truly is ahead of the game both in how it provides for its employees as well as its customers. I am excited and proud to be part of this company!
They caused clinicians to go from contract to salaried for same job performed
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  MCAS Beaufort, SCJuly 18, 2018
Before Magellan got into the govdrnment contracts business at differing military bases, clinicians were able to travel, providing living accomodations to avoid moving permanent residence. We used to make $50 an hour for 7 days a week, on call and full time. When Magellan came in, the pay dropped in half. They ruined the culture of veteran clinicians who provided services.

Former MHN employees hired each other to work at Magellan. Nepotism at its finest.

Magellan crummy in comparison to former companies who had contracts. Made it so that if you worked for that pay, you were selling out or settling.

Management not honest, caused clinicians to be paranoid of each other. Promoted separatism within the team at the sites.

Some of us required to live in the State or local area. Played favorites. Others from other states were afforded contract pay and hotel accomodations. And, it was no secret.
Management supervisors using snitches looking for negatives to support a supervisor we NEVER met who only live 2 states away..

Can't fulfil their children's services part of the contract because of nature of assignment - no office, bad reputation with employees who were honest about job environment with other clinicians considering job.

Insulting pay, insulting supervisors, negative company culture.
I have worked in this capacity at four different bases. I know Magellan and can compare to other gov. contractors.
Pros
Job with benefits. Good for those with over age 68 who could earn as much as.
Cons
Half as much pay as former gov. contractor providing identical services, No office whatsoever when work with children - just "walk-around" services
Great place to work.
Behavioral Health Learning Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 16, 2018
The staff in the Learning and Performance Department made this the best job I ever had. They were hands-on, trusting, and informative. I would recommend them to anyone.
Pros
Good pay. Nice staff.
Cons
Contracts determine length of stay on a job site.
A great place to work
Claims Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 16, 2018
I was a temporary employee with Magellan, but was treated as if I were a fulltime employee. I would go back and work for the company if there were an opportunity to work there again.
They have no clue
Grievance and Appeals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 13, 2018
They don't care about their employees. It doesn't matter if you're upper management, they will quickly eliminate your position. Training is horrible. You will have to learn your job from someone that has been there a minimum of 6 months.
Pros
Non
busy! busy!
Clinical Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 13, 2018
a typical day would be the call volume,i learned to have more patience , hardest part would have to be seeing how fast people come and go. The most enjoying part would be leaving after a long hard work day
Productive and Fast Paced
TEAM LEAD - CUSTOMER SERVICE/SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJJuly 12, 2018
Absolutely love this company. Great work life balance; as you were allowed to bring your children to the office. Magellan offers great opportunities for advancement. Comparable salaries and benefits.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
The company closed it's New Jersey Office
Provider Service Associate I (Current Employee) –  Maryland heightsJuly 8, 2018
Its a great job if you like that sort of work. Being tied to the phone 8 hours a day is very stressful and not what I'm looking for. I feel they need to train better as well. You are given the basics and that's all good but there are a lot of other things you learn on your own that would be very helpful if you knew right off the bat.
Cons
back to back phone calls, working late shift 10:30-7:00 PM
Great company to work for.
Surge Military and Family Life Counselor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSJuly 5, 2018
A typical day was spent providing walk around services to service members and their children. Provided presentations as requested. Referred clients as appropriate.
Pros
Traveling, good supervision, supervisor always available.
Typical Corporation
Claims (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 3, 2018
I would not recommend coming here.
Managements communication is lacking.
The pay is low as compared to other companies in the market.
The healthcare benefits are not good.
Favoritism is a common thing here, for bonuses and promotions.
My Supervisor is never in the office, so the team does what they please.
The Trainer for the Claims dept. is absolutely terrible and needs replaced - reading documents word for word is not training.
Certain people, who have been with the company a long time, will sit at their desks watching movies all day and are called the teams all-star.
A few perks; discounts, flexible scheduling, and PTO.
Productive with Advancement Opportunities
Customer Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 2, 2018
Great place to work with lots of advancement opportunities and in different locations! Relaxed environment. Managers and department heads are usually onsite and are very friendly.
magellan
Customer Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 1, 2018
don't have a lot of minorities in upper management, don't have a lot of opportunities to grow. many departments are unorganized and some of your supervisors are not on location.
Pros
worked with schedule outside of work
Cons
management is not the best
workplace culture
MFLC (Current Employee) –  MissouriJune 25, 2018
The relationship with the supervisor and the point of contact can make or break an assignment. The company backs up the point of contact and gives them too much power. Very limited support for the employee.
Pros
able to work independantly
Cons
lack of trust
Magellan Scottsdale is the best
Senior BI Developer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 22, 2018
I haven't seen a team like i had in Magellan Especially the Scottsdale. Only if the project could extend. There was a perfect work life balance. The managers trusted the team and total freedom. Hats off to the company. it will be challenging to work elsewhere i think. :)
Pros
trust
Cons
-- none esp Scottsdale office
Great place for a career
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 21, 2018
I have worked at the company for over 10 years and have grown from a processor to in management. I have been allowed to participate in several implementations/configurations of benefits/project management/Director mentorship program/travel/several work groups/and on the board of appeals. All of these things were outside of my normal duties. Magellan gave me this extra experiences to help me round out my skill set.
Pros
flexibility/benefits/great people
Cons
upper management
Lack of vision
SENIOR CARE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  FLORIDAJune 21, 2018
Poor decision making and operational mgmt have caused shortfalls that will negatively affect work force. Too many people in decision making positions who lack knowledge and insight needed.
Pros
Work life balance, Benefits, Compensation
Cons
Lack of upward mobility
workplace
Customer Service Provider (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 16, 2018
productive work environment that is slow and busy at times. Everyone gets along and like a family. The management is great and willing to listen and understand each employee when it comes to life situations.
Health Guide
Health Guide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 11, 2018
Provides ongoing, community-based support for an assigned caseload of health plan enrollees to improve access to care and care coordination. Establishes a relationship with the enrollee, the care coordination team, and providers. Conducts new enrollee outreach and orientation, arranges appointments and transportation as needed. Assists the enrollee in learning to navigate the health care delivery system, community resources, transportation, and effectively use health plan benefits.
Showed a picture of the company.
Financial Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Newtown, PAJune 10, 2018
I worked for 7 years and its a decent company to work for. The hours were the standard 40 hours/week but sometimes overtime was necessary to finish up projects on top of normal day-to-day work
Pros
Generous PTO
Cons
Lack of Communication
Low stress and good pay
Military Family Life Counselor (Current Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCJune 6, 2018
Great job with no micromanaging. Good pay, flexible, and virtually stress fee. Best part, no documentation for counselors as it is 100% confidential and paid for through a contract with DOD, not billed per session. Love working with the kids!
Pros
Flexible hours, make your own schedule, independent work, stress free, good pay, no documentation or deadlines to meet.
Cons
Low PTO, holidays off but unpaid
Nothing else to add
EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 4, 2018
Great company to work for - nothing else to add
Workplace culture is appropriate
days are not typical due to client needs
constant learning environment
Pros
nothing to add
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Magellan Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight