Magellan Health Services Employee Reviews

SQL Server BI/ETL Developer (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAMarch 18, 2018
Recommends
Positive Outlook
Approves of CEO
I have been working at Magellan Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I first came to Magellan via an acquisition and I have to say that it has been one of the greatest things to happen for me both personally and professionally! Magellan Health is a company made up of people that truly care about your success and growth. They listen to your interests and have great programs available to you to increase your knowledge and skills.
One of the things I love most about this company is the people that work here. My colleagues inspire me to dream big and make a difference. They are collaborative, engaging, and encourage new thoughts and ideas. It feels great being able to share those ideas and then seeing them be implemented and come to life.
Finally, I love how innovative and creative this company is; it truly is ahead of the game both in how it provides for its employees as well as its customers. I am excited and proud to be part of this company!
work hours
LPN/Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 13, 2018
This was a salaried position and I always worked at least 12 hours per day with a constant emphasis placed on more productivity by upper management. While my immediate manager was understanding of the limitations and expectations, upper management did not seem to care about these issues.
Need to Connect with employees
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2018
Take the time to develop a positive engaging and dynamic culture where people can go to work because they want to not because the have to .
Provide empowerment to the front line.
Great place to work!
Authorization Representative (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOAugust 1, 2018
Management is very hands on. They work with their employees in career planning. They listen to your goals and outline clear and concise areas to develop professionally. The management wants its employees to grow and succeed within the organization.
Pros
Flexible work hours. Great paid time-off incentives.
A peaceful place to work
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 30, 2018
My particular position is very good for a woman with family and kids because it gave you flexibility to work from from 1-2 days a week. The culture here is nice and peaceful.
Military Family Life Counselor (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 29, 2018
Magellan provides a great platform for military counselors and offers opportunity to travel. Flexible schedule within military schedule. May require long hours if counselors are needed.
Pros
Remote work
Cons
Benefits were good except not paying for many hours overtime worked. Very stressful environment.
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIJuly 25, 2018
Very stressful work environment. Worked many hours overtime for which I was not paid. Audited monthly on many aspects of job. Managers in the Michigan location for the most part were supportive. Supervisors/managers externally (in Texas and Cincinnati offices) were not supportive, very critical, and did not completely understand differences between expectations of Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan, State of Michigan contracts and those of other Blue Cross/Anthem contracts. Hardest part of the job was managing 2 phone lines per Care Manager and couple layers of managers micromanaging employees. Union was very ineffective other than possibly negotiating for decent benefits.
Pros
Good benefits for employee and family members, most coworkers were
Cons
good benefits, most coworkers friendly and helpful
Worst
Customer Care Associate II (Current Employee) –  Doral, FLJuly 25, 2018
The office i worked for is in Doral, Fl. The supervisor are lazy they don't like to assist the reps. They make you feel like you work in a hostel environment. They fire more than they hire. The call volume is out of control and they will not hire more reps.
Very productive
Bilingual Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJuly 23, 2018
It's a call center, so I used to receive in calls for mental health patients. Gave them list of providers within the network for the insurance, made authorization for doctors to see patients.
This is an amazing job!
Military Family Life Counselor (Current Employee) –  Joint Base Lewis McChord, WAJuly 23, 2018
I performed non medical adult counseling!. It was perfect for me. I loved interacting with families and, individuals and couples! My hours were flexible and I had amazing opportunities to grow!
Pros
great opportunity to serve our armed forces!
Cons
Short term assignments
They caused clinicians to go from contract to salaried for same job performed
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  MCAS Beaufort, SCJuly 18, 2018
Before Magellan got into the govdrnment contracts business at differing military bases, clinicians were able to travel, providing living accomodations to avoid moving permanent residence. We used to make $50 an hour for 7 days a week, on call and full time. When Magellan came in, the pay dropped in half. They ruined the culture of veteran clinicians who provided services.

Former MHN employees hired each other to work at Magellan. Nepotism at its finest.

Magellan crummy in comparison to former companies who had contracts. Made it so that if you worked for that pay, you were selling out or settling.

Management not honest, caused clinicians to be paranoid of each other. Promoted separatism within the team at the sites.

Some of us required to live in the State or local area. Played favorites. Others from other states were afforded contract pay and hotel accomodations. And, it was no secret.
Management supervisors using snitches looking for negatives to support a supervisor we NEVER met who only live 2 states away..

Can't fulfil their children's services part of the contract because of nature of assignment - no office, bad reputation with employees who were honest about job environment with other clinicians considering job.

Insulting pay, insulting supervisors, negative company culture.
I have worked in this capacity at four different bases. I know Magellan and can compare to other gov. contractors.
Pros
Job with benefits. Good for those with over age 68 who could earn as much as.
Cons
Half as much pay as former gov. contractor providing identical services, No office whatsoever when work with children - just "walk-around" services
Great place to work.
Behavioral Health Learning Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 16, 2018
The staff in the Learning and Performance Department made this the best job I ever had. They were hands-on, trusting, and informative. I would recommend them to anyone.
Pros
Good pay. Nice staff.
Cons
Contracts determine length of stay on a job site.
A great place to work
Claims Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 16, 2018
I was a temporary employee with Magellan, but was treated as if I were a fulltime employee. I would go back and work for the company if there were an opportunity to work there again.
They have no clue
Grievance and Appeals Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 13, 2018
They don't care about their employees. It doesn't matter if you're upper management, they will quickly eliminate your position. Training is horrible. You will have to learn your job from someone that has been there a minimum of 6 months.
Pros
Non
busy! busy!
Clinical Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 13, 2018
a typical day would be the call volume,i learned to have more patience , hardest part would have to be seeing how fast people come and go. The most enjoying part would be leaving after a long hard work day
Productive and Fast Paced
TEAM LEAD - CUSTOMER SERVICE/SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJJuly 12, 2018
Absolutely love this company. Great work life balance; as you were allowed to bring your children to the office. Magellan offers great opportunities for advancement. Comparable salaries and benefits.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
The company closed it's New Jersey Office
Provider Service Associate I (Current Employee) –  Maryland heightsJuly 8, 2018
Its a great job if you like that sort of work. Being tied to the phone 8 hours a day is very stressful and not what I'm looking for. I feel they need to train better as well. You are given the basics and that's all good but there are a lot of other things you learn on your own that would be very helpful if you knew right off the bat.
Cons
back to back phone calls, working late shift 10:30-7:00 PM
Great company to work for.
Surge Military and Family Life Counselor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSJuly 5, 2018
A typical day was spent providing walk around services to service members and their children. Provided presentations as requested. Referred clients as appropriate.
Pros
Traveling, good supervision, supervisor always available.
Typical Corporation
Claims (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 3, 2018
I would not recommend coming here.
Managements communication is lacking.
The pay is low as compared to other companies in the market.
The healthcare benefits are not good.
Favoritism is a common thing here, for bonuses and promotions.
My Supervisor is never in the office, so the team does what they please.
The Trainer for the Claims dept. is absolutely terrible and needs replaced - reading documents word for word is not training.
Certain people, who have been with the company a long time, will sit at their desks watching movies all day and are called the teams all-star.
A few perks; discounts, flexible scheduling, and PTO.
Productive with Advancement Opportunities
Customer Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 2, 2018
Great place to work with lots of advancement opportunities and in different locations! Relaxed environment. Managers and department heads are usually onsite and are very friendly.
magellan
Customer Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJuly 1, 2018
don't have a lot of minorities in upper management, don't have a lot of opportunities to grow. many departments are unorganized and some of your supervisors are not on location.
Pros
worked with schedule outside of work
Cons
management is not the best

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Magellan Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight