Magellan Health Services Employee Reviews

I loved my job
Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 19, 2018
It all depends on the dept you work for in the company. I hated working in the claims team not because of the workload but because the managers suck. I knew more them and I couldn't respect my boss knowing they went to the strip clubs with their employees. I just cant.
rapid pace, high expectations
Initial Clinical Reviewed II (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOOctober 19, 2018
High paced stressful environment with expectation to more than 15 determinations per hour for PreAuthorization of pt imaging requests. Orientation was poor.
enjoyable place to work
Discharge Health Guide, (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 19, 2018
I really enjoyed my time at MCC I was able to do the work that I love and still take care of my family my first boss was amazing I held three positions my time here and liked all of them I don't know my 2nd boss so I have no opinion on her
Pros
working remote
Cons
being laid off
Productive workplace with possibilities of advancement within the department or other departments if seeking change
Clinical Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOOctober 13, 2018
I initially started as a temporary employee and became full-time within 6 months employment was offered full-time during the 6 months once I started I familiarized myself with the company before becoming full-time it has since been 4 years total with the company and after 1 year of employment I became a work at home employee.
Pros
Incentives, lunch menu daily, company benefit discounts, Eap
Cons
Short breaks/lunch, benefits (i.e. FMLA, Loa)
workplace culture
Workforce Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOOctober 12, 2018
Trying to work with too few staff members. Learn on the go and teach yourself. Reliability is a must. Must be willing to go with the flow. Learn something new every day.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Stress
A great team to work with.
Provider Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 9, 2018
The work structure was different with MagelIan Health because I learned a little more about working directly with Behavioral health providers. I work remotely and able to manage my 8 + hour a day schedule with my providers and Magellan team.
Productive place
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 9, 2018
took 80 plus in bound calls. Processed 50 emails daily, Hardest part of the job is people, management is ok, work place culture is ok at times but can be negative.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Sr. Benefit Plan Configuration Administrator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 7, 2018
No complaints with Magellan. A great place to work. Various positions allow for great flexible in schedule include work from home. Great benefits and extra services and benefits in help employees with work/home life balance.
Have not worked for company in over 10 years
SENIOR REVENUE ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 4, 2018
Magellan was a good company that once went through bankruptcy and strung the employees along. Some decided to waited it out while others jumped ship when a opportunity presented itself.
Productive and very fun work place, You had your own space to work in. You become personable with the staff of the Doctors office or Hospital.
Authorization Specialist (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOOctober 3, 2018
I was an Authorization Representative who answered a high volume of inbound calls into the call center. I had to look up ICD9 and CPT codes along with knowing the Medical terminology for the Cancer or Behavioral Health procedures needed. I also spoke with Doctors office's and Hospital for clearance on specific tests needed. Incoming calls of 85 or more per day. I also faxed, scanned, copy, and typed information into Microsoft Word while on a call with the patient.
Pros
Being a Liason between the Doctor and Patient to help with notes, having a calming spirit to help others get what they need, knowing that I helped a Cancer Patient get the Chemotherapy they needed.
Cons
No cafeteria.
high turn around rate
Lead Customer Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 2, 2018
its a good job for someone who just wants to stay in the same position, its a middle type of company. not to big not to small never grows. no real high standards.
Pros
mon-friday
Cons
no room for advancement
Great company to work for
Peer Recovery Navigator (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VASeptember 28, 2018
I have been working with Magellan for over 3 years. I worked from home and really enjoyed the work I did. I was able to do telephone peer support as well as getting out in the community and seeing members.

If it wasn't for the contract running out I would not be looking for another job. I am an older worker and they were very respectful of the experience and dedication that I brought to the job.

My supervisor and team mates were very supportive in everything that we did and even though we hardly go to meet face to face we formed genuine bonds with each other and mutual respect for one another. I would recommend working at Magellan for anyone who is willing to work hard and is dedicated to what they do.
Pros
good communication, great benefits, team work
Cons
Not being able to do more face to face with team and administration
A Great Place to Work
MFLC Counselor (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOSeptember 27, 2018
Magellan provides a great work place. Management works with each individual employee to meet our professional needs and career advancement. Provide non-medical counseling to active duty service members and eligible dependents.
Pros
Bonuses
Great work life balance.
Business Intelligence Specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 25, 2018
Great company to work for but you just have to kiss your bosses back for promotion. I would say I have matured fully in my career because of the tools I have been exposed to.
Pros
Great work life balance.
Cons
A lot of boss back kissing. They will love you if you do.
workplace culture
Military Family Life Consultant (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GASeptember 17, 2018
Compared to other vendors of government contracts, Magellan Health offered many benefits, a competitive salary, and a degree of autonomy. The company did require last minute alterations in one's schedule to attend meetings remotely. Communications from top down was often delayed.
Pros
salary, tuition reimbursement
Cons
time off very limited, required using leave time for federal holidays
Disjointed
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 12, 2018
The company is disjointed. Senior leadership have several ideas that do not come together in a manner that is solidified. It is very little opportunity for advancement
temp position
Level I Authorization Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 11, 2018
Working at Magellan had the benefit of providing insight to how medical claims are processed and approved based on medical necessity. Management however was very poor and the micromanagement of every minute could be pretty stressful.
Excessive travel, high stress, long hours
Behavioral Health Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 10, 2018
I worked for Magellan almost 5 yrs. I exceled at my position of Care Coordinator.

The cons of working her are pretty major. High stress, high volume, constant audits, constant calls by clients, horrible computer programs, unhelpful IT, and long hours.

The pros of working here are pay is pretty good, time can be flexed as needed, telecommute position, and scheduling can be done as needed to work around family.
Pros
Good pay and telecommute
Cons
Long hours, excessive travel and high case volume
pleasant place to work
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Avon, CT 06001September 9, 2018
Management at Magellan is hard working, dedicated. Having spent 12 years saw many changes, most for the good. Pleasant working conditions, great culture.
N/a
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 3, 2018
Working for Magellan has been a great experience. I have been with the company close to 10 years and in those 10 years I have experienced some ups and downs but was able to manage and get the job done not just on my own but with my teammates. My motto: Teamwork makes the Dream Work. The company offers great benefits and really supports continued education.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Magellan Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight