Magellan Health
Happiness rating is 60 out of 100

Magellan Health Employee Reviews

United States1,097 reviews

Found 1,097 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,105 reviews

Challenging, motivating, stimulating, and inspirational

Featured review

Magellan Health selected this as a representative review
On any typical day evaluating the needs of customers and discussing treatment resources and developing individualized treatment plans with the customer was very rewarding. It was like giving hope to someone feeling pretty hopeless. Every interaction provided a new learning opportunity, related to illness symptoms, medications, therapies, and treatment results and complications. Our management team was supportive and encouraging when consulted with difficult and complex situations. It was inspiring to work with a team of professionals who were knowledgeable and driven to always provide the best care available for each consumer The hardest part of the job was probably monitoring compliance within the family structure of consumers. The most enjoyable part of the job was educating consumers and their support systems and seeing them benefit and gain confidence and health as they progressed through treatment regimens

Pros

Working with professionals who we’re well educated, informed, and knowledgeable. And who took great pride in getting positive outcomes

Cons

Consumers lack of understanding and trust in managed care organizations

Official response from Magellan Health

February 21, 2020
Thank you for the review of Magellan Health as a place to work. It is clear you really enjoyed your job.

Variety of roles and opportunities

Bigger company than most people think. I like how supportive people are across the board, and all the resources and benefits. Good chance to do different things the longer you're with the company.

Pros

Mostly remote

Magellan Health insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness

Flexible but at a price

A typical day starts with a review of overnight emails and voicemails. After that it times to hit the road for visits or spend the day in your home office doing excessive paperwork. The same info has to be documented in multiple spots and cut/paste is discouraged. Don't be surprised when your coverage area changes and time spent driving exceeds time spent on visits. Work-flows and processes routinely change but don't worry, management will tell you they sympathize.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Remote monitoring of employee activity, constand change to processes

Great company

I enjoy being able to work from home. Decent pay great co workers. Overall easy job as long as you keep up with the updates.look forward to growing with magellan

Positive and flexible working environment

Really nothing negative to say. Flexible scheduling, approachable and friendly managerial staff, and reasonable compensation for the nature of the work. The new employee training process is pretty thorough and I still feel like I learn something new every day here, which keeps the work interesting.

1980S dos system green screen

Yes, a DOS system for notes! You will be closely monitored by management at work. Clientele is appreciative and most enjoyable part of job. Supervisor wants to know every detail and be cc’d on everything. Zero work life balance. People don’t leave jobs, they leave supervisors.

Great place to work as an initial starting point

Started my work career at Magellan. Management was pretty fair. Benefits we’re adequate. Pay at the time was decent at my age at the time. Cordial work environment with care workers intermingled with clinicians.

A lot of favoritism

It's all about who likes you versus the work you produce. Get along with everyone and you'll be fine. But, when you're an expert in your field you have to get used to non-experts telling you how to do your job.

Open door policy, great team work.

Great work environment. Team work and cross training availability. Providing complex care management to patients. Reaching out to patients to ensure quality care received from providers and health plan.

Pros

Team building exercises

Cons

Lots of phone calls

Uncaring company

They don’t seem to care about their employees at all. Hr is terrible and poor benefits and compensation. I would not work there again or recommend anyone else do.

Good managers, but the job can be draining

Managers and team were great. Always someone to help. The job itself can be draining due to the workload and high quotas, but you only work overtime if you want to.

Great sense of community, teamwork, and collaboration despite being a remote position. Fast paced with lots of procedural changes, but management is informative and supportive and keep everyone up to speed.

Chaotic. Never ending. Constant demands. But great team mates

Complete chaos for the past several years with constant management changes, personnel reductions and increasing requirements from end users. There’s no time to do things right if at all

Pros

Good PTO, Remote work opportunities

Cons

Low morale

Fair pay, good work life balance

Good company across the board. There are not many opportunities for advancement. Benefits are average. They use the high deductible consumer driven health plans.

Pros

Fair pay, Work life balance, Promotes diversity

Cons

Very little opportunities for advancement

Job assignments change to often and last minute

Management was helpful/ met some awesome co workers via zoom. ALOT to remember in this position....changes quick ly and last minute so it's easy to loose focus on the main assignment.good benefits , recieved 20/ per hour but deserves more 23-25

Enjoyed interacting and working with military and families. Was always my hope

I loved working with Magellan but as an MFLC very little hope of promotions and too far removed from Administration. never aware of the workings of Magellan: we had monthly meeting only being told about MFLC information. Didn’t see postings on promotions. I did observe postings on MFLCS nationwide.

Pros

Love the work, worthwhile and military administration appreciates our interactions with soldiers and damilues

Cons

Too far removed from corporate Administration or promitions

Productivity

Clean area respectful co-workers but managers have a tendency to promote by favouritism and not skill. However will work with you in emergency cases. Not quick to fire. Will give you a chance to redeem yourself

I loved my time here. Staff and coworkers are really helpful. The training team is the best. I felt prepared to do my job. They are even available to email after training.

Pros

Quarterly Bonuses

Cons

Too many cases

Flexible scheduling, easy, relaxed , 1099 position

One of the worst experiences I’ve had as a LCSW. You really don’t have many therapist moments. The manager had no skills to manage and so the team was not cohesive and lacking leadership. Training was nonexistent; you literally just figure out what to do as you do it. Kinda cool to have so much freedom and autonomy, but sometimes frustrating when you wonder what you’re supposed to be doing. Haha You are basically a wandering street therapist on an Army base. You also help out at the various schools where there is a large population of military kids, mostly on base but not always. I thought it was really boring, there was never any kind of plan or agenda to follow, so I created my own “program” ideas and activities. I worked a summer camp one time and that was like being an assistant babysitter; I felt totally useless and the counselors didn’t seem to know why I kept hanging around. Haha That’s all I can think of.

Good experience to have under my belt

Good experience to have under my belt. Would recommend to those are wanting to work under a structured environment. Great for learning new roles in the pharmacy world.

Uncertain future

There are a lot of good people at Magellan who mean well but with the Centene acquisition it’s very uncertain how Magellan will survive. We are losing a lot of business and there is no clear strategy for the future. Constant organizational changes also make staff very unsettled and unproductive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Magellan Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight