Magic Memories Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 18, 2019
It is great meeting many people and interact with them. Love making people smile.
It is a pleasure creating those great memories for our guest. We work as Team!
Money isn't everything
Sales Photographer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HI uss missouriMarch 12, 2019
USS Missouri magic memories. Management is horrible, they dont train you and then write you up when you make a mistake even though you weren't trained properly. They toss you to a normal employee and have you just shadow them to learn your job and then pick that employee apart and tell you not to do anything that they do. You have to make a certain amount of sales per day usually 15 or 20 plus in busier months. if you dont then you get written up. you are forced to chase after every tourist that walks by and even when they are rude to you and say no you have to keep going because you'll get written up if you dont. Even if you make all your sales you often get called into the office to sign paperwork that says no one is doing the job correctly saying the lines the way they want you to say them. You will meet your numbers and then they tell you that its not good enough because you sold too many cheeper packages. You will get overwhelmed with customers at times and no one will come out of the office to help you and then you loose potential sales that also hurts your numbers. One manager will undermine the other and then you'll get in trouble for it. You are asked to do more then your job title, to include photographing special events and still be required to make your sales for that day. When you call in sick they barder with you on the phone telling you too bad you have to come in or find your replacement. You have to take everyone's photo even though most of them are rude to you and you spend half the time arguing with them to get them to stop and take the photo. If  more... you do not meet this number as a whole then the whole team gets in trouble. And even when you are getting everyone's photo, they come out and tell you haw you are not being happy enough making the tourist experience a joyous one. Upper management comes down and helps out and then later you get paperwork saying you weren't doing your job right, instead of just pointing it out and helping you while they are there they wait and punish you for it later. All little things that could have been corrected during the shift. Turn around here is amazingly high people quit all the time. It is stressful! And what you do is felt as though its never enough. The pay is good, but I'm not sure its worth the stress of the job and its management. They are all friendly and then throw you under to save their skin, which I'm sure is typical at any job. When you do raise a concern it gets swept away and excuses are made putting the blame back onto the employee instead of the issue. With every sale you have to get the persons email too, or you will get written up for not having that. So your basically getting written up because people dont want spam emails I feel there is something just not right with this. This place is cut throat beware! I'm sure if your looking for a summer job this would be excellent, but not long term. Make no mistake, this company is all about numbers not employees. And I made those numbers and still dreaded coming to work everyday.  less
Pros
you get to be at pearl harbor everyday, free admission onto the USS Missouri, co workers are a family.
Cons
hostile environment, stressful, micromanagement, lack of training, huge turnover rate, understaffed often. unrealistic goals on slow days.
National aquarium Of Baltimore maryland
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 11, 2019
Working here was a fun easy Job got to work with cameras at the national aquarium and take photos of families and create memories this job is good for someone who's in school and need pocket change really cool management but you got to be careful because some are sneaky!!!!! but this is a really cool job i liked working here!
Pros
free tickets for the attraction
Cons
not enough hours sneaky Management
Horrible
Photographer (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 9, 2019
Honestly the place is so toxic and the company is very greedy. They do not appreciate anything you do at all. You get no training at all. I recommend staying farrrrr away.
Pros
N/a
Cons
No work ethic.
Fun place to work at the Oregon Coast Aquarium
Photographer/Sales (Former Employee) –  Newport, ORFebruary 20, 2019
We took pictures of everyone who visited the Oregon Coast Aquarium, then sold them when they were leaving. I was very good at getting the guests in front of the camera including the children, then getting the shots taken, while moving everyone along into the Aquarium. Also was able to give information on show times and directions to those visiting. I was waiting to get my federal clearance to work at the Casino which can take up to six month in Oregon. Mine only took six weeks, so I was only there for two months but I truly enjoyed it.
Pros
Loved the atmosphere and the people
Cons
The pay was low.
Fun and rewarding if serious about the job
Venue Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAJanuary 13, 2019
With this company you can be rewarded and promoted fairly easily if you are consistent and put in hard work. The job can be stressful at times but the venues you get to work at and your co workers make up for that stress.
Great Coworkers; Stressful Work Environment
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 3, 2019
Working here can be fun at times, at least when the aquarium staff and customers aren't making your life miserable. The team was like a work family at first, but upper management destroyed that dynamic. A typical day will have you working out in the hot sun, while being told by management that you haven't done enough, and should be more forceful in having people take their photos. The weekends are a nightmare: people will complain about pricing and the aquarium as if it's your fault, steal the merchandise, and be overall rude. People will take their frustrations out on you. Breaks are 30 minutes with two 15 minute breaks; hardly enough time to actually relax.
Pros
Interacting with penguins occasionally.
Cons
Working in hot conditions and dealing with staff/customer drama.
Amazing to work at.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PADecember 30, 2018
I loved this job it was my first job ever and it was the best decision of my life. I was able to grow and gain so much experience. Had great recognition from managers. Overall a great job to start with and it’s fast paced and competitive!
Pros
Can work as much as you want.
Cons
May be stressful if not out going
Upper-Level Management is a Joke
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesDecember 20, 2018
I came into this job when the company was known as "Sharpshooter" and I enjoyed it and never had a problem with anything. However, once "Magic Memories" took over everything has taken a turn for the worse. As a full time employee, I receive VERY LITTLE benefits. The health insurance is subpar at best and everything else doesn't even exist. When I say "full-time" you think of a 40- hour work week, right? Wrong. That's what I was promised but this company is full of empty promises. I had issues with my benefits, pay, hours, you name it. This company and the upper-level management is a complete joke! I am an adult, I need benefits, decent pay and FULL TIME hours when that is what I am promised! Talking to our higher-ups couldn't be less helpful. This company couldn't care less about their employees! They should be embarrassed!
On the other hand, the people I work with at my venue are one in a million! Amazing people all around! And I enjoy my job! It's fun!
Unfortunately, liking a job isn't going to keep good employees. If you want decent employees, you should treat them well; instead of sweeping their needs under the rug.
Pros
Fellow employees
Cons
Pay, Management, Benefits; you name it.
Good Job
Photographer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 4, 2018
Lots of chances to grow and travel if you want to. Lots of locations to work at. They'll definitely allow you to take time off and my managers were super supportive with anything that was going on in my life.
Good for a first or temporary job, maybe not for a lifetime career
Sales Photographer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2018
I certainly enjoyed working at Magic Memories, I am still employed but currently on leave for the winter. Our venue is mostly outdoor so it was my choice to leave. Since we are outdoors it is very cold and pretty slow. Working in the NYC tourism industry is great since you get to meet people from all over the US and the world. I am a part time employee but if we are short staffed like we were this year then I would wind up working full time hours. It was better for my pay but physically exhausting. I would go home just to collapse in bed and have to do it over again the next day. At times it would feel like we were forced to force the customers to take a photo when you could tell some of them really didnt want to. I would look back at the pictures and see people giving me a dirty look or not even looking at the camera, covering their faces or backs turned to me. On a rare occasion when I would see some of those guests I would apologize to them for being so forceful and aggressive and they would be understanding most of the times knowing I was just doing my job. Anyway for some positive notes, I worked with many great people that made me happy/ want to come into work. I met many wonderful people from various states and countries and I had many great experiences working with Magic Memories. I learned more about photography and how to operate a professional camera by changing settings and flashes. As the companies slogan is I feel like I did a good job at "making people smile" I would be happy to recommend Magic Memories to a friend
Great first job
Sales Photographer (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CANovember 25, 2018
This job helped boost my customer services skills and really taught me how to work as a team as well as work individually. If I could go back, I would in a heartbeat.
Okay workplace
PHOTOGRAPHER/SALES (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CANovember 21, 2018
Okay workplace for younger adults. Not much room for growth. Management is subpar. Not much concern for employees wellbeing. Management did not often listen to employees.
I hated it
Photographer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 7, 2018
Management wants to sweep stuff under the rug. Male employees are sexist and always looking to get with female employees. I felt objectified and was compared to other females. Stressful for no reason, too much pressure. Not worth it. Supervisors are jerks and power trippers. I would never recommend this place to anyone.
Awesome place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pigeon Forge, TNSeptember 30, 2018
I loved working there and I miss the environment and people so much!! Always had such a good time coming to work everyday. Met some many new people from different places and it was always an exciting day.
Magic memories
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 27, 2018
Resides inside the Everything coke building in las vegas. Cocsa cola is a great place to work inside. But Magic Memories a new Zeland owned company bought Sharp Shooters. They ruined our pay and treated employees like slaves. They only want a place that we strive for their numbers and toik all incentives and our commission away.
Pros
A job
Cons
Everything you can imagine
Magic Memories
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Branson, MOSeptember 21, 2018
For the most part I enjoyed working here. The people I worked with made it fun and the site manager was awesome. I didn't like the changes that the CEO made. After the changes it made the work environment very stressful.
Pros
Co-workers, flexible hours
Cons
Corporate
Absolutely terrible
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAAugust 29, 2018
My manager is a nigtmare. Since he took over, my hours have been cut and theres no communication when I ask him about it. Most times, my paycheck isnt correct and my commission isnt correct. This company steals pay.
Fun Job
Photographer-Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAAugust 22, 2018
I overall enjoyed working with Magic Memories, and developed some fundamental sales skills from this job. Work can be enjoyable and not too stressful, especially if you have some interest in photography.
Your experience as an employee depends on the venue
Souvenir Photographer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 19, 2018
I worked at the Downtown Aquarium location. The managers were very relaxed, which is both good and bad. It’a good because the job, in and of itself, is very low stress. It only became bad when the managers would place their responsibilities onto the employees (for example, filling out reports to send to the corporate office).
Pros
Flexible scheduling, minimum stress job, easy to learn.
Cons
Micromanaged by venue employees, weather effects sales, corporate leads have unrealistic expectations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Magic Memories. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight