Magnet Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Magnet CKS
Project Design Manager for Magnet CKS (Current Employee) –  North EastMay 15, 2018
I have been with Magnet CKS for 2 years after spending a previous 3 years with another kitchen company. It has been a great move as Magnet treats us like adults (no micro management) and trusts us to do the job.

I have a great team around me and we all pitch in when the going gets tough, Someone is always available if you have a problem and happy to help.

Lots of scope for progression if you want it and lots of e-learning modules are available and always time to apply for a course to further your career.

Work life balance is great and this is one of the best companies I have worked for.
Pros
Great balance, treated like adults, fab team, great managers
Cons
Would like a bit more money (but who does'nt)
Best Place in the Kitchen Industry - CKS
project Design Manager (Current Employee) –  Western RegionMay 14, 2018
I currently work as a Project Design Manager for the Contract Kitchen Solutions Department in Magnet Kitchens, Nobia UK.
My interview was light and professional, I was given a strong team impression which has definitely shone through since I have joined the team. Every employee that I have met have been incredibly helpful, caring and understanding and just naturally friendly. The weeks training you are first put on is thorough and well thought through with some brilliant experienced trainers to teach you your specific job roles. They introduce the company to you with a proud feeling which you suddenly grasp onto. Each individual is looked after well, given the full support they need and there is no ‘throwing in the deep end’ – this is apparent to be learnt through past experiences which is great as you can see they won’t make the same mistake twice. You are given the right amount of time you need to settle yourself in and be given projects to work with as doing the job role is the best way you will learn. The career opportunities with Magnet are limitless. There are countless colleagues that can demonstrate this as many have all worked their way up the ladder. You are constantly reminded and asked what your career aspirations are and it soon becomes apparent that no one is held back. Team members will always remind you that it isn’t an easy job but you are not alone and never to suffer silently. Every day is completely different but if you have the skills to stay motivated and you can keep organised you will be fine. Ideal characteristics for the team needed are helpful
  more... and positive attitude, team attitude, problem solving, relatively good IT skills – however there are many training programmes available to help with this and of course kitchen experience. I personally feel very lucky to be a part of this team and anyone who is or has been part of this family or knows anyone that works in this company knows it’s a long term career opportunity.  less
Pros
Career progression, friendly, helpful, happy
Cons
Just wish I had joined sooner
Every day is different!
Project Design Manager (Current Employee) –  AberdeenMay 8, 2018
I've worked on both the retail side and the contracts side of the business and I have to say that moving to CKS was the best decision I've made since joining Magnet. Every day is different; you can be here, there and everywhere surveying or planning kitchens, picking up stock or on the odd occasion going to meetings and training. When it gets busy it gets BUSY but your team is always there to support you; there's always someone at the end of the phone that can help answer any questions or even plan/price kitchens for you if you just don't think you'll have the time to get them done. I never thought I'd be in a job where I could actually see myself staying there long term but I think this is the one for me and there are plenty of opportunities for progression and Magnet actually WANT you to progress. I can't comment on the other teams but the Scotland & North East team are brilliant; we work hard but still manage to have a laugh and meet up for the odd night out! I think for me the main thing is that management treat you with respect; they don't talk down to you and give credit where credit is due but also push you to want to do more and do better. Overall it's a great place to work, some properties are not the most pleasant to go in to but you've got to take the bad with the good.
Pros
Very flexible, great team
Cons
Can be very demanding when all customers kick in with surveys, etc
Good working environment
Self Employed Driver (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, MerseysideMarch 26, 2018
I found magnet has a good working environment to work in and I got on with the staff well.I never had any issues within the workplace and everything was organised well.
Pros
Supply uniform and staff discounts available.
Cons
Rate of pay
Warehouse Manager life
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  WilesdenMarch 26, 2018
Typical work work day would start at 7.30am, if there are deliveries we would start unloading and sorting the delivery. I learned how to manage a team. The team got on well and had great management leadership.
Hard working
Project Design Manager (Current Employee) –  South WalesMarch 19, 2018
Typical day can verify from designing to being on site dealing with end user, site mangers, branch staff, deliveries, fitters and ordering products I work in various locations in different branches depending on where the projects are located.I have developed a wide range of skills such as time management taking full responsibility for projects and adapting to all situations with flexibility within my role
Pros
company car
Poor
Lead Taker (Current Employee) –  West MidlandsMarch 6, 2018
Lack of career progression
Poor leadership
revolving door off staff members and management
Was offered a trial position and set a target of £40,000 to secure the job sold over £60,000 still didn't get the role
Pros
set hours
Cons
lack of career progression
Worst place I've worked
Sales/warehouse assistant (Former Employee) –  Farnborough, HampshireFebruary 13, 2018
I didn't enjoy my time at Magnet and I did not get along with members of staff as they were not polite and treated people badly. Computer systems were also bad as they always crashed and slow.
Wow Do i have to do this for all my employment history
Kitchen Designer (Current Employee) –  BingleyJanuary 22, 2018
wow 150 words for all my employment history I will be here all day look at that its only 86 words for more for 100 now just 17 to go nearly thetr on 148
Professional friendly environment with years of Heritage
Kitchen Sales Designer (Current Employee) –  TauntonJanuary 21, 2018
Magnet is an amazing place to work, we are more than just work colleges, we are a family. Every day I walk in I am met with friendly hello from my work colleges, We put the kettle on before the shift starts, make anyone that wants a drink one, then get on with the job. If the phone rings before I start, I answer it, If a customer walks in and and my colleges need support, I step in and help out.
I have learned so much in the time I have been there, new systems, new products, I help to teach 20-20 cad design, sales techniques, up-selling.
The Management I have worked under in the last 4 years have different skills and ways they manage their staff. I have tried to maintain a close working relationship with my managers and use their knowledge and skills to mentor me to develop myself, and use it myself when I take on my own store.
We have an open door policy, we are open and approachable, friendly but also supportive when we need to be.
The hardest part of my job is trying to control things that are out of my control.
The most enjoyable part of my job, is the feeling I get when customers tell me how much they have enjoyed the experience of the design and sales process, and how professional and polite I am. And of course getting the sale, especially when against a competitor.
Productive and fun working place
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  DarlingtonJanuary 17, 2018
Wasn't a bad place to work but they never have enough work they would ring last minute for you to go in or they would ask you last minute to stay back
Pros
Long hours get 3 breaks
Cons
Not enough work
good place to work
Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  Kingston, JMJanuary 4, 2018
I was in the warehouse and on the trade counter at Magnet
but being a designer I wanted to get back into that so joined howdens to start designing again.
Pros
great people and customers
Cons
cant think of any
Great company
Warehouse Operative / trade counter salesman (Current Employee) –  SwanseaDecember 18, 2017
Great company, solid and reliable, would recommend to work for. Been here for 10+ years, no two days are ever the same and a good.oppurtunity to progress depending on ambitions.
just the last years of a failing company
Stock Controller (Former Employee) –  KeighleyNovember 23, 2017
i worked in stock control and the staff and facilities were good. i had office space,use of equipment and trust.
i had my first dealings with the factory master system and learned about stock control
Pros
good canteen with cheap meals
Cons
the company was failing so morale was low
Rewarding work, supported by regional managers
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  West MidlandsOctober 10, 2017
Great place to work, management understand different managers needs, some excellent perks of the job. The company have a strong holding in the market, and the efforts are usually rewarded
Painful - Read this honest review of the inside of this company It will save you a massive headache!
Kitchen Sales Designer (Former Employee) –  KENTSeptember 18, 2017
The management is all wrong and there is no support at all from the managers above. As a new person you need to be supported and the people who are in charge of you do not support you, all they care about is taking a deposit and do not care about the actual customer. There was countless time where my customers were messed around by my manager and pressured in to putting a deposit down even when they was not even 50% happy with the kitchen/deal. Even though I was from a 'carpentry' background they believed they knew more then I did baring mind I actually worked on construction sites which included fitting kitchens! The main problem is that they like to take all the glory and make the young newbies who are on probation take the nasty part of it when the customers come in using foul language because they have been messed around by management the person in charge would run off and hide in the warehouse so they did not have to face the customers that were messed abound by this person in the first place. I used to have to remind the manager countless times to issue a refund of 1000 pounds to a customer and it took the manager 6 weeks to issue a refund. I am happy my probation ended and will be looking at going back on to construction sites because I enjoyed it so much more on them then I did at this company. You need to enjoy what you do and let me warn you now you will enjoy it at the start like I did but after a few months it will be horrible like it was for me and even if they doubled my wages I would not of stayed.

This is just my honest opinion of the company and how I was
  more... treated!  less
Pros
No comment
Cons
Work Saturdays, lunch break is a myth
Very quiet job
Customer service administrator (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, HampshireAugust 27, 2017
This shop is at a non busy part of town, and people tend to walk past and not know you are there.
Pleasant atmosphere.
The job involved me taking leads and passing them to designer/manager.
Pros
easy
Cons
hours
Starts off great, declines very quickly
Kitchen Designer (Former Employee) –  LeicestershireJuly 16, 2017
Magnet are very good at selling the job to people who want to work for them.
They will offer the world, everything is achievable, but, once you've been for your induction and put into branch, you're in the deep end now, learn to swim.
You WILL have customer issues on a daily basis, no one will help you out, you're on your own. Head office are next to useless and upper management? Glorified, overpaid sales reps with no answers for you when you need them.
Don't get me wrong, it's not all doom and gloom, you can have some cracking days, made better by brilliant customers, and if you have the right staff behind you, can make some really great friends.
Unfortunately though, Magnet tend to employ more than it's fair share of buffoons and yes men. All sales talk is based on margins and profit, managers need their bonuses right?
Be prepared to see shortages and damages on load, when kitchens are delivered, happens quite often. And it's left for you to sort out.
You'll end up working bank holidays, irrespective of whether you're retail or trade. You'll be short staffed on a regular basis, most branches are. You'll probably be expected to be a key holder , so locking and unlocking will be your job and one less for the manager. You'll end up doing the daily banking, again, one less job for the manager. Basically, between you and the other members of staff, you'll be running the branch, with your manager taking all credit when everything is good.
You'll know who the good members of staff are, because they'll be the ones close to breakdown, most of my old colleagues from my own
  more... branch and surrounding branches, have some form of stress related issues. These are the ones who get the job done.

So in summary, if you really want to work for Magnt, take the risk and go for it.
But, you have been warned!
Pros
Great customers some great staff too
Cons
Long hours are expected. Idiot management
it's ok,but shame i worked through the strik,and did not get support.
joiner (Former Employee) –  Darlington, DurhamJune 7, 2017
i would like a second chance.witch means it is a good company to work for.good chances for promotion.work mates all ok,good to get on with.easy work on production line;s,
Pros
ok
Cons
same as others
great place to work
Kitchen designer (Current Employee) –  DarlingtonJune 6, 2017
a good company to work for with great staff and good bonus
on going training and opportunity to move up the ladder
good staff discounts for friends and family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Magnet. Our community is ready to answer.