Magnetation Employee Reviews

Good working enviroment
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MNJanuary 30, 2018
The company gives opportunity to everyone who works in to maximize their potentials. The company offered trainings based on job specification and was very interested in employee growth.
Pros
good training and working culture
Cons
rough working enviroment
Great technology wrong timing!
Electrical Construction Supervisor, Electrician (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MNDecember 13, 2017
Great opportunity to further my career in industrial construction and maintenance. Company was not managed well enough to succeed in a very competitive market.
I realy enjoyed operating heavy equipment
Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MNOctober 13, 2017
I worked with a lot of great people,most were very responsible and hard working. Working at Magnetation was probably one of the best experiences i have had. I learned so much during my time there.I became a very safe and efficient operator.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
we were all laid off
Productive and High Speed
Mill / Mine Supervisor & Operator (Former Employee) –  Bovey, MNAugust 24, 2017
Magnetation was a great place to work. If not for the down turn in the Ore market I would still be working there today. The people were both great to work with and to work for.
Great Place to work
Taining Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Reynolds, INMarch 26, 2017
I've only worked at three jobs in my 42 year career and by far even though this was for a short period of time before closing, the culture was second to none. This company was very heavy into training but economic times and maybe a touch of poor upper level decision lead this company into bankruptcy. It was a great place to work.
Pros
Best group of employees ever assembled!!!
Cons
Company closed
productive safe place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Reynolds, INJanuary 22, 2017
magnetation was an awesome company to work for, unfortunately they were forced to close due to the economic down turn with iron ore, closing the minnesota and indiana plant
Good People
Site Lead (Current Employee) –  Reynolds, INDecember 14, 2016
Good culture to work in. Needed a little better understanding of processes. But did well in promoting people and treated everyone with respect. It was very dirty and dusty though
Pros
Ate a lot of dinners
Cons
needed more organization
Closed due to foreign trade
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Reynolds, INNovember 26, 2016
Good place to work if it stayed open. The environment was dirty. Worked a lot of hours. People were great. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Had a lot of fun.
Good company to work for, sorry to see them close.
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Reynolds, INNovember 22, 2016
Great company to work for, they treated employees well and had great benefits. The work schedule was the only downside.
great place to work. people helped each other out
Ad Grind Operator (Former Employee) –  Reynolds, INNovember 19, 2016
I enjoyed working their. great benefits, team members were very helpful. always something different went on daily. working in the weather could be challenging at time.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
hard work, work in the elements...
it was a great placed to work
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Coleraine, MNNovember 12, 2016
I enjoyed my time at magnetation. I liked the team work that was displayed daily to get our jobs done and keep the plant running. I learned a lot about iron ore and what it takes to get it from dirt to a final con shippable product. I also learned a lot about pumps and other equipment used to keep the slurry flowing through the plant. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with slurry and water spraying on you while you were trying to put temporary patches on leaks until we were able to shut down and fix them. I think the most enjoyable for me was being able to see the results of your efforts by the production numbers.
Pros
great health insurance, great wages
Cons
plant is very dirty and sometimes dusty
Hard work and great people
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Reynolds, INOctober 30, 2016
Lots of hard work.And a dirty place to work. Always something new to learn about. Inexperienced management
Mostly great people to work with. Long days or nights depending on the shift.
The team members were great
Control Room Operator/Furnace Operator (Former Employee) –  Reynolds, INOctober 18, 2016
I learned a lot about operating equipment, and operating the control room. Microsoft excel, word, and the HMI controls, and how to create, manage, review and monitor trends. Operated 980k loaders, telephone handlers (lull), skid steers, I was a control room operator/ furnace operator
Good Place
Balling Operator (Current Employee) –  Reynolds, INOctober 16, 2016
Was a good place to work, unfortunately they are going out of business. Pay and benefits were excellent. The working envoirment was difficult, but I worked with a great group of people.
Pros
wages
Cons
Out of business
Magnetation has a great culture.
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Reynolds, INOctober 11, 2016
Magnetation has been a wonderful place to work. The people are very intelligent and we take care of each other. The management are open minded and allow the employees to contribute new ideas.
Pros
Monthly Cookouts
A fun and safe work environment.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MNOctober 7, 2016
The only thing that kept me from giving Magnetation a 5 star review was the job security. We are getting laid off due to bankruptcy. Other than that, I have nothing but good to say about the company, I absolutely loved the job, and it was a great experience that I will miss.
Pros
Excellent work environment and culture with great pay and benefits.
Cons
They went bankrupt
Horrible Management Communications
Utilities maintenance (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaMay 31, 2016
Great place to work, as long as you can be patient with bad organization and terrible communication. There's always plenty of work to do, but nobody can decide when or how to do it. I loved the job, I just hated the way it all was such a mess.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Loved the work hate the lying management in office!!
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Reynolds, INApril 14, 2016
Let them know about my back ground ahead of time before working for them!! More then once in a interview, told me it was fine worked with them 2 months and then they fired me because of it!! Lying worthless!!!
Pros
Love the job
Cons
Manegment!!!!
Hard and stressful but has great benefits
Control Room Operator (Former Employee) –  Reynolds, INJanuary 18, 2016
There is no such thing as an average day at Magnetation as every single day brings new challenges in one way or another. Benefits package is second to none and compensation is top notch for the area. Long shifts and a very quick 2 week swing shift are a requirement for operators and Control Room Operators. Management has good intentions but still learning and going through growing pains with a volatile market that is indicative of the commodities industry.
Pros
benefits and compensation
Cons
culture is declining, shifts are diffucult to become accustomed to
Run away as fast as you can.
Skilled trades (Former Employee) –  Reynolds IndianaSeptember 27, 2015
You need to think about working at McDonalds before going to work there.
Parts needed must be purchased of the Internet with a credit card. No one will do business with them. They owe half the country money. Their pay scale is up and down. Half of your hourly pay is fixed. The other half is flexible. Depending on the tonnage of pellets put out of the plant each week. So at $30.00 an hour you are gaurentee $15.00 an hour and the other half is a constant variable. If any employee has an injury you loose .20% of your pay. If there is a safety audit and their disconnected site safety manager doesn't like his findings you could loose more money also. There is no plumbing in the entire facility. And they use portable heaters in the winter.
This is a new facility ? I was employed by magnetation for several months. I will never go back. I would drive s truck instead. I needed an XL harness for working overhead.
Had to bring my own into the plant.
Mag. Safety said " I am tired of spending money "
Again. Give this career move great thought.
Pros
Cons
They filed bankruptcy