Maguire Family Of Dealerships

Working at Maguire Family Of Dealerships: 38 Reviews

United States38 reviews

employeehourpaymanagementplacegoodtimegreat

Not for everyone

A cut throat work environment. Commissions are obscured. Stealing leads and existing customers is encouraged..."anything for the sale". Management is always in a state of flux.

Pros

base salary

Cons

undefined commissions

Good job with excellent compensation

Maguire Automotive is a good place to work as a sales professional. General manager and upper-level management are some of the best I've worked for, and they truly care 100%. I seriously appreciate the hard work and dedication they put in every day. The Maguire culture is laid-back, and they let you work at your own pace. Every day is a little bit different, but the days tend to fly by and you'll have trouble getting bored. The best part of the job is the freedom to work independently. Unfortunately, no job is perfect, and Maguire's is no different. The sales managers leave quite a bit to be desired, as they don't instill a sense of pride into your work, and they don't push you to be your best. They have a "couldn't-care-less" attitude, and that gets old quickly as you need their resources to do your job well. They subtly make you feel replaceable, and they come across as more casual than professional. If I could change one thing about my job/Maguires, it would be different sales managers. The other sales, service, detail, and body shop associates are awesome and fun to work with.

Pros

Flexible pay plan, co-workers, Gm, and owners.

Cons

Horrible work/life balance, lower-level sales managers

Maguire Family Of Dealerships insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues

Managers lie worse than politicians

Your fellow co workers in the same job position as you will try to help you boost yourself to do better and become better, but upper management could care less, to them your nothing other than a money maker. You could make them $3,000 in a day but as soon as you cost them a dollar they think your the biggest idiot to have ever existed… there is a way around this tho! Management here loves to play favorites so just get into a dealership where you know someone higher up and let the blame fall on someone else!

Pros

The very occasional “pizza party”

Cons

The Management, low pay, un-fairness, un-professional

Not enough business to pay well

Not enough customers to be paid well. The promise the world to you when in reality you will never make that kind of money. They are laid back. You work unnecessary long shifts with very little work to do

Dont do it

When this company first came to syracuse it was great. Your work was appreciated and valued. After expansion it went down hill. Management became weak as the strong management moved on to the newer dealers. Employees became more like numbers rather than valued employees. No matter how hard you worked, extra shifts. Late nights early mornings, you were still told you were replaceable. Also it was expected of you to work early and late and every weekend if it was busy. Instead of fixing issues within the dealer they danced around the problem and never solved them. You were told you were at the top of your pay scale when in reality all the dealers around here were and still are willing to pay much more per hour for the same job and ask less of you. Do not waste your time working for this unappreciative environment. Buildings and propertys are older and run down. Coordination between the departments were slim to none. The only good thing about this company was the benefits they offer. Which do not out weigh the negative things. After riding it out with that company for year after year I left and it was the best decision i made. My stress level is slim to none. I have more vacation time and work far less hours and bring home a lot more. Save your self the trouble and look elsewhere. If your a good tech the team system is not for you.

Benefits

Cons

Falling apart building and property. Pay, vacation, lack of respect for employees

It’s cool

If you like to sell and can do it well, this could the place for you. If you don’t know how to, don’t expect to be trained. It’s a cut throat environment where you will be expected to excel the second you get here, and there will be little training other than the Subaru and Hyundai training. Coworkers are great, management is the best I’ve ever had but it’s definitely a grind

Good people as employees poor upper management

Would be a grea tplace to work if the working employees were actually valued, and not chewed up and spit out. Unfortunatly things are not what they appear to be, hipocritical archaic ways of thinking. Maybe that is what money and power generate unfortunatly you forget about things that really matter, like happiness.Other then that ...Yeah had potential 20 years ago and now just has a bunch of people that hate their jobs and all the good employees were either fired for biblicle reasons or have moved on. Its actually sad

Pros

Nice new ford store, Some good family members

Cons

Employees not appreciated or heard, One day you are the best the next day you are not worth 5 minutes of their time

Dont do it.

You can make more money and be treated better at most other dealerships. Working more than your scheduled hours is expected and good luck actually taking a lunch. You don't get any additional paid days off until you've been there for 5 years.

Pay plan sucks

The team pooling of hours sucks, set up to fail from the start. Parts doesn't stock parts, and won't buy from other dealers so that job that could have been done today sits for days to get parts from the factory

Pros

Cons

The dealership

very unethical, treats employees almost as badly as they treat customers

Low pay, gross hierarchy where sales are treated better than service, constant blaming of service techs for managers' mistakes and neglect, lies to customers. I'm so glad I found a job somewhere else - there's lots of service jobs in ithaca, but you'll probably have to look for another industry for sales - these guys have sales pretty locked down in Ithaca, although I have NO idea why with how badly and unethically they treat their clients, too.

Pros

at least you get a paycheck (most of the time)

Cons

everything else

mistreated

manager allowed other employees to mistreat me due to a struggle with addiction that I went to rehab for and upon returning to work 8 weeks later i was treated like I was beneath everyone and less than because I have an addiction

Pros

recieved a better job offer with a great company

Cons

Step father was my boss and now we dont speak

Unethical and draining

Company takes advantage of seasoned employees. Makes unreasonable requests which violate civil rights, ethics, and promote fraud. Expects qualified individuals to allow others to use state licenses illegally. Then terminates those who refuse and try to do the right thing. Even if the owner specifies that the employee should not put their qualifications in danger.

Stable job with room for advancement. Hours are difficult with a family.

The pay is limitless if you are an above average sales consultant. I made an amazing amount of money each year in that role. It was difficult though because I had to balance work hours ( evenings and Saturdays) and family life. Overall, a great job at a company who promotes from within.

Toxic environment

Always have to look over your shoulder. Fellow co workers and management will talk nice to your face but will stab you in your back! They make everybody a “manager”. Nobody will take blame for their own actions. I worked there two separate times both times were a mistake. Management will say whatever they can to make it sound like a good place to work, but it is far from it. I had a service manager get fired on me and the next manager said I made to much

Lies

Lots of experience in the field sales from all over however I was lied to from the beginning. Shady place with shady people. The managers don’t care about you as a human being with the exception of maybe one or two. You will constantly walk on egg shells and be berated even if you miss work due to medical reasons. Knew it was a vendetta because after I was asked to leave one of the other managers messaged me personally via text saying he was sorry for what happened and he didn’t even know what was going on or why I was asked to leave, but if I needed a reference to just let him know. First time they asked I called them out as I had only missed due to my medical issues, then they back pedaled. After that we had a discussion and I was told to just bring a note if I ever miss due to a medical issue. (Which I had already been doing and I put my medical issues on the app). To be fair I was not performing well at this point but I had only been on the floor for maybe two weeks and then I had medical issues arise. HOWEVER, the second and final time I was talked to and asked to leave I had been doing very very well, ahead of most of the senior reps, 3 cars in 4 days. And they literally told me they were “waiting for a write up” and I understand I made mistakes however I didn’t do anything that any other salesperson at that dealership hadn’t done AND I was outperforming most of them. Went back and forth with one manager as I had missed a day again due to medical issues and he asked if I came in on my day off to make up for it, I said no I couldn’t the dealership was closed (it was 4th -

Pros

Hour lunch that’s about it

Cons

Managers, time

You are setup from the beginning to fail.

Very disappointed in higher management/owners for not listening to employees! Management will direct you to perform duties and cause you to fall & blame you to cover their tracks. Very toxic work environment. Steer clear!

Terrible management

From the top all the way down, nobody cares about you. If your pay scale gets to a point where you can almost afford to live they will change it and cut 20000 a year from you and promise if you work harder you will get back to where you were. Stress levels through the roof and family time on the back burner. For your health, wealth and happiness dont stop here.

Not a good work environment

Not a great place to work. Poor management as well. Don't let you tell others how you feel about the company. If you don't fill out company questionnaire to their approval they throw out your survey so they look better.

Had a Blast working here!

I thouroghly enjoyed my time at the Maguire in Watkins Glen. Had a good experience with the people and fellow co workers. Would recommend it to any one who is looking to break into the car sales business. Thanks for the good memories.

Pros

Great People

Great place to work, owners care about their people!

The owners check in on all employees regardless of position. They provide training to optimize your earning potential. Management works hard to encourage your growth.

Pros

Good work/leisure balance

Cons

Insurance is costly

Absolutely sucks

Started in service express and no one wanted to actually do work. People running the computers didn’t do their jobs and tried stealing all the surveys for themselves. Finally moved up and went to training for a specific brand, got certified, then had no vehicles for me to work on. Had to beg for a raise with previous knowledge of working on cars and got $1 raise. I worked every hour the shop was open and my scheduled day off I always got called in anyway. After getting moved up and having no cars to do the shipped me to a different store and still didn’t have cars for me so brought me back. Again had no cars and management absolutely sucked. Poorly ran and thought he was better than any and everyone. Talked down to employees like garbage when they make his paycheck. Just a terrible time. DONT WORK HERE!!

Pros

Absolutely NONE

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maguire Family Of Dealerships. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits