Maine Department of Health And Human Services

Maine Department of Health And Human Services Employee Reviews

United States35 reviews
Fast paced but important work
In a job like this, coworkers become family. You rely on each other to get the work done. You laugh, you cry but most importantly, you can make a big difference. If you don't manage stress well or have poor time management, this may not be the role for you.
DHHS,Lies to appear safer, with more new hires.
DHHS will hire anyone with any BS degree. They got spanked with the two little girls that died. So they are lying to the public, about hiring LCS workers. All to appear safer to public only.They still have the same number of LCSW, they just now supervise hundreds more cases, not less. A BS graduate will be assigned a LSX provisional lisence. The new hire caseworker must work 3200 hours before being ready for LCSW test. They have no mental health training, all on job training. The new hire lacks supervision, except for the training part, which is less than 40 hours.
It's the nature of the beast
I love working with the children and the parents that work services to get their children back. But the ones that don’t, are so stressful. Work load and expectation are a lot. Less than a month after completion of training I was assigned a full case load. It’s not a good fit for me. My mental and emotional health has been stressed with this position to the point where I can identify physical changes within my body. The support from upper management was there but it was a personal decision to make a change.
left job to keep my integrity intact
no pay raises for many years
small pay increases when occurred

poor communication from upper management

their attempts to communicate "better" by scheduling reoccurring meetings were unfortunately "one way" communications

participation from staff was considered "negative" like a child talking back to a parent, often participants were "thrown under the bus" for having any fresh ideas, staff learn to shut up and put up

as supervisor responsibility was not allocated correctly, this means that accountability =/= (did not equal) authority

job involved "deep thinking" in that many layers to analysis was needed (versus simple "yes" or "no" answers) to complete complex tasks this was DIFFICULT in the cubicle environment provided

goals provided were unrealistic - Example "we need more widgets completed" response by management "so lets increase amount of widgets the underlings are required to complete" without adding overtime, more staff, or anything reasonable

"assumptions" used by head management versus straight forward open and honest talk - if you were liked then the "best" was assumed if not then the "worst" was assumed, JUDGMENTAL management

I enjoyed some of the work, when I was allowed to work

I see there are several openings in this small office, I'd like to say RUN!

but hey if you get in you could get; Experience, some School Courses Paid for, good benefits like; Paid Holidays, Paid Vacation Time, Paid Sick Time, and potentially make some great friends, there is so much that can be considered "good" about this office

it was not an easy nor light
 - more...
Pros
job growth available, healthcare, paid vacations, holidays, sick time
Cons
Unrealistic goals, negative environment
Overall the duties of the jobs was rewarding
I enjoyed the actual duties of the job. However, before the end of my termination of employment, management change and was difficult to collaborate with other department to help the participants of the program. Therefore, may it difficult for the workers of the departments. Most of my time was helping the clients with their plan to get help with the programs they were eligible for then working to help with additional support to become independent. The most enjoyable part of my job was being a part of the participants success when they were able to become independent through the hard work of learning a second language in school or finding a job to support their family. I very much enjoy helping people succeed.
Pros
Benefits and helping the clients become successful
Cons
Not enough pay for the work involved.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
relaxed atmosphere
Relaxed environment. For the most part, I work with enjoyable people to be around and most are always willing to assist newer employees with questions they may have.
Interesting work, friendly co-workers
Loved the work and the co-workers. Supervisors very supportive. Always learning new and interesting information about how the disability program works under Social Security.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Case load can be overwhelming at times.
Great place to work in an office environment. Job duties don't change much but communication is a little less than to be desired. Everyone is on a need to know basis.
good place to work
I helped a lot of clients with emergency assistance with various utility bills and eviction notices. Children in the household would benefit greatly with these benefits. I also passed out a resource guide to help clients with other help from other agencies.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
time restraints
Taught me alot about all walks for life.
I worked at various jobs while at DHHS. I did clerical work for a lot of different departments learning each to the best of my ability. I assisted the public in many ways to benefit their way of life.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
policies and procedures sometimes prohibited eligibility.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Maine Department of Health And Human Services?
Challenging and exciting
No day was ever the same, it was a new challenge and exciting everyday. This job is very stressful and challenging, however it helped me grow and advance in my career. Some days, you will work late in order to provide child safety. Supervisors are a great asset and should be relied on. Everyone in the office that I work in are supportive and always willing to help.
Fast paced environment
DHHS was a great place to work, offering great fair pay and benefits. It is a fast paced environment, always learning on the job. Hardest part of the job was constant changes with computer systems that were not always ready for use. I enjoyed working with the co workers and clients.
Very fast paced, stressful and challenging.
The expectations are high. The amount of time required to perform the job is underestimated. There is little guidance from supervisors.I don't feel I was given the support needed to succeed.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
hugely stressful.
Very stressful but rewarding position
Doing child abuse investigations is not for the faint of heart. It is emotionally wrenching but I learned a great deal during my time there and believe had a positive impact.
Benefits
Cons
Hard work
Stability
You have got to be good with people and different cultures to deal with all walks of life. Being organized is a must when managing a caseload of over 800 families.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
extreamly stressful
Productive, Professional workplace
There is a lot of autonomy in the department I work in. I am currently still employed at the department. I do not have intentions of leaving unless I can find a job with better pay.
Pros
Flexible work
Cons
Pay
very busy work environment
very fast paced office setting. great job for anybody that enjoys working continuously for hours (really helps to pass the day) wonderful staff. breaks as needed
Generous time off, good benefits
They start you off with eight hours hours vacation and eight hours sick time per month.

Too much work to get completed in an eight hour day, the clients always need more and the company will not allow overtime to serve the clients correctly.

The state laid all the ASPIRE workers off and contracted the entire program out to an out of state corporation that does not care about the clients or the community.

Management was promoted based on favoritism and not competence, they are not skilled leaders and can never figure out how to solve problems or create a strategic plan.
Pros
Meet a wide variety of people
Cons
managment
Very difficult material to learn & various computer systems to operate
I was let go because I couldn't keep up with their STANDARDS (i.e. NUMBERS of cases I had worked in one given day)

They DO NOT care if you are a hard worker if their numbers are not UP THERE....never been let go before in my life, I'm 50 yrs old. Working since I was 13.

Rushed each day to meet quota, people are always stressed there. Great people being put through the ringer. Not enough workers doing a ton of work that is months behind.

Good luck keeping good workers.....
Pros
Money
Cons
Stress
Stressful at times/ Good Support Among Co-workers
This was an hourly position so our schedules were closely managed so we did not always have the ability to schedule things when we wanted/needed to. There was a high turnover in staff so those of us who were consistent, trained staff who could do the job well, always ended up doing the extra work when someone left and before someone new was hired. I had a good group of co-workers who were very supportive and I continue to be friends with them now since leaving the job two years ago. I loved working with families and helping them navigate the system and help them during some of the most difficult times of their lives.
Pros
Good Support among Co-Workers, Loved working with Families.
Cons
High turnover in staff which meant seasoned workers did more work.
Not a very supportive environment
Workers/supervisors were very narrow/closed minded and biased. Lack of professionalism when speaking about the families they worked with. However, they do offer pretty good pay and benefits.
benefits
Cons
co-workers, schedule, expectations
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Maine Department of Health And Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.