Maine Department of Health And Human Services

Maine Department of Health And Human Services Employee Reviews

left job to keep my integrity intact
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Augusta,MEOctober 11, 2018
no pay raises for many years
small pay increases when occurred

poor communication from upper management

their attempts to communicate "better" by scheduling reoccurring meetings were unfortunately "one way" communications
participation from staff was considered "negative" like a child talking back to a parent, often participants were "thrown under the bus" for having any fresh ideas, staff learn to shut up and put up

as supervisor responsibility was not allocated correctly, this means that accountability =/= (did not equal) authority

job involved "deep thinking" in that many layers to analysis was needed (versus simple "yes" or "no" answers) to complete complex tasks this was DIFFICULT in the cubicle environment provided

goals provided were unrealistic - Example "we need more widgets completed" response by management "so lets increase amount of widgets the underlings are required to complete" without adding overtime, more staff, or anything reasonable

"assumptions" used by head management versus straight forward open and honest talk - if you were liked then the "best" was assumed if not then the "worst" was assumed, JUDGMENTAL management

I enjoyed some of the work, when I was allowed to work

I see there are several openings in this small office, I'd like to say RUN!
but hey if you get in you could get; Experience, some School Courses Paid for, good benefits like; Paid Holidays, Paid Vacation Time, Paid Sick Time, and potentially make some great friends, there is so much that can be considered "good" about this office

it was not an easy nor light
  more... decision for my leaving it

give it a try and see if you can find a way to THRIVE
Pros
job growth available, healthcare, paid vacations, holidays, sick time
Cons
Unrealistic goals, negative environment
relaxed atmosphere
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEJuly 29, 2018
Relaxed environment. For the most part, I work with enjoyable people to be around and most are always willing to assist newer employees with questions they may have.
Interesting work, friendly co-workers
Disability Claims Adjudicator (Former Employee) –  Winthrop, MEJuly 16, 2018
Loved the work and the co-workers. Supervisors very supportive. Always learning new and interesting information about how the disability program works under Social Security.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Case load can be overwhelming at times.
Office Associate I (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEJune 15, 2018
Great place to work in an office environment. Job duties don't change much but communication is a little less than to be desired. Everyone is on a need to know basis.
good place to work
Office Associate II/Supervisor - DHHS (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEApril 30, 2018
I helped a lot of clients with emergency assistance with various utility bills and eviction notices. Children in the household would benefit greatly with these benefits. I also passed out a resource guide to help clients with other help from other agencies.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
time restraints
Taught me alot about all walks for life.
Customer Representative Associate II - DHHS (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEApril 30, 2018
I worked at various jobs while at DHHS. I did clerical work for a lot of different departments learning each to the best of my ability. I assisted the public in many ways to benefit their way of life.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
policies and procedures sometimes prohibited eligibility.
Challenging and exciting
Child Protective Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Skowhegan, MEMarch 19, 2018
No day was ever the same, it was a new challenge and exciting everyday. This job is very stressful and challenging, however it helped me grow and advance in my career. Some days, you will work late in order to provide child safety. Supervisors are a great asset and should be relied on. Everyone in the office that I work in are supportive and always willing to help.
Fast paced environment
ASPIRE Specialist (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MEJanuary 31, 2018
DHHS was a great place to work, offering great fair pay and benefits. It is a fast paced environment, always learning on the job. Hardest part of the job was constant changes with computer systems that were not always ready for use. I enjoyed working with the co workers and clients.
Very fast paced, stressful and challenging.
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MEJanuary 30, 2018
The expectations are high. The amount of time required to perform the job is underestimated. There is little guidance from supervisors.I don't feel I was given the support needed to succeed.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
hugely stressful.
Very stressful but rewarding position
Child Protective Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJanuary 23, 2018
Doing child abuse investigations is not for the faint of heart. It is emotionally wrenching but I learned a great deal during my time there and believe had a positive impact.
Benefits
Cons
Hard work
Stability
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJanuary 10, 2018
You have got to be good with people and different cultures to deal with all walks of life. Being organized is a must when managing a caseload of over 800 families.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
extreamly stressful
Productive, Professional workplace
Recruitment and Retention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MENovember 1, 2017
There is a lot of autonomy in the department I work in. I am currently still employed at the department. I do not have intentions of leaving unless I can find a job with better pay.
Pros
Flexible work
Cons
Pay
very busy work environment
OFFICE ADMINISTRATION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MESeptember 12, 2017
very fast paced office setting. great job for anybody that enjoys working continuously for hours (really helps to pass the day) wonderful staff. breaks as needed
Generous time off, good benefits
ASPIRE Specialist (Former Employee) –  Skowhegan, MEAugust 11, 2017
They start you off with eight hours hours vacation and eight hours sick time per month.

Too much work to get completed in an eight hour day, the clients always need more and the company will not allow overtime to serve the clients correctly.

The state laid all the ASPIRE workers off and contracted the entire program out to an out of state corporation that does not care about the clients or the community.

Management was promoted based on favoritism and not competence, they are not skilled leaders and can never figure out how to solve problems or create a strategic plan.
Pros
Meet a wide variety of people
Cons
managment
Very difficult material to learn & various computer systems to operate
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Machias, MEJuly 20, 2017
I was let go because I couldn't keep up with their STANDARDS (i.e. NUMBERS of cases I had worked in one given day)

They DO NOT care if you are a hard worker if their numbers are not UP THERE....never been let go before in my life, I'm 50 yrs old. Working since I was 13.

Rushed each day to meet quota, people are always stressed there. Great people being put through the ringer. Not enough workers doing a ton of work that is months behind.

Good luck keeping good workers.....
Pros
Money
Cons
Stress
Stressful at times/ Good Support Among Co-workers
Child Protective Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEMay 12, 2017
This was an hourly position so our schedules were closely managed so we did not always have the ability to schedule things when we wanted/needed to. There was a high turnover in staff so those of us who were consistent, trained staff who could do the job well, always ended up doing the extra work when someone left and before someone new was hired. I had a good group of co-workers who were very supportive and I continue to be friends with them now since leaving the job two years ago. I loved working with families and helping them navigate the system and help them during some of the most difficult times of their lives.
Pros
Good Support among Co-Workers, Loved working with Families.
Cons
High turnover in staff which meant seasoned workers did more work.
Not a very supportive environment
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Machias, MEMarch 10, 2017
Workers/supervisors were very narrow/closed minded and biased. Lack of professionalism when speaking about the families they worked with. However, they do offer pretty good pay and benefits.
benefits
Cons
co-workers, schedule, expectations
Job security and vast experience
Child Protective Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Caribou, MEFebruary 26, 2017
This agency has provided me with an abundance of experience and challenges I may not have encountered in other types of employment.
challenging
Office Assistant 2 (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJanuary 30, 2017
This job was challenging at most times, Between working in other offices and not always having a supervisor to run the office put a bit more determination and challenges on me. I worked my best at keeping the office moving forward and working at help those when they needed to keep the office running smoothly
Great way to help our community
Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rockland, MEDecember 29, 2016
An Eligibility Specialist has a great role in helping our community members access benefits that help their day-to-day needs. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help everyone that has a need.