Maine Veterans' Homes Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  South Paris, MEJuly 5, 2019
I started working in high school in the kitchen, at first it was great, that was until you saw the true colors of the cook. Once she was let go we kept going through cooks, couldn’t keep anyone due to the poor working conditions and stress they were put under. As a person working 4-8 and being in high school the job was easy, mostly washing dishes and helping serve. The part where it gets frustrating is when we were so short staffed, at one point only 2 of us working 4-8 so meaning we would work every other day with 1 or 2 cooks sometimes just being one person working 4-8 and one cook. We were over worked and almost went over hours many times. Once more people where hired or got easier but the kitchen manager doesn’t know how to let people go. We would have people show up to every shift late or not at all multiple times and still not get let go, call outs are through the roof as well and she still would not let them go. I personally was let go over a misunderstanding and was fired over a text message. It’s also a horrible place to work if you play sports. I played basketball and gave my boss my schedule for all my games at the beginning of the season as soon as I was given it and she gave me all the time off. But on my yearly review I was told I needed to work on my attendance because of basketball, even though I had asked for every day off and DIDNT call out because of a game or practice. It’s a very hostile working environment and just all around a horrible place to work. The nursing staff and residents are amazing but the kitchen supervisors and management are horrible.
Everyone’s leaving.
CNA (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEJune 6, 2019
Certain workers are expected to pick up all the slack due to staffing shortage and travelers not doing their job. Most of the workers with good work ethic have left to other facilities who appreciate them. Very few good workers have stayed behind.

The administration have no clue what’s going on nor do they care to know.

Travelers have contracts that they know are hard to break so they take advantage of their circumstances. They talk back to nurses and boss other CNAs around with zero repercussions.

This facility gets a lots of perks due to serving Veterans in which they take advantage of fully.
Pros
Working with Veterans
Cons
Management have no clue.
Travelers run this facility now!
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEMay 30, 2019
Scarborough Veterans Home employs travelers from all over the US who get away with everything. They take all the regular employees hours, get to choose the unit they work on and treat regular staff badly. They are paid far more then regular staff and walk around like they own the place. Therefore the regular staff are leaving in groups to other facilities who treat them with respect and pay more.

There’s a lot of favoritism with certain staff. Some per diem gets to choose their unit. Other staff (including full time) get floated to accommodate these “special employees”!

The facility allows families to disrespect staff on a regular. Wives, daughters in particular chase staff down as if their loved one is paying for one on one care and expect staff to bow down at their every command. These family members make it hard on the limited staff we have. If we do not cater they report the facility to the state and disrupt our care to the others Veterans who need our time. They are a huge disruption and take a lot of patience to deal with. These wives and daughters are a huge burden to our veterans and staff and need to get a life. Their loved ones are happy when they go home and leave them alone for the day.

There’s one unit so disorganized that no one wants to work on it. The nurse manager is too busy with the maintenance guy to do anything of importance.

They are putting all their money into the new facility in Augusta and travelers that they are asking us to donate our leave time. How disrespectful. Why don’t the upper management take a pay cut. That’s an idea.
Pros
Veterans, some co workers
Cons
Travelers, some family members
I have found my work home
Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MENovember 6, 2018
Prior to my employement with Maine Vets home, I had negative, pre-conceived notions about working in a "nursing home". I was so wrong! Caring for our veternas gives me a sense of satisfaction like I've never had in my 20+ years working in a hospital setting. There is a sense of comradery between the residents as well as the staff. The administration team truly cares about both the staff and the residents, working colloratively on probelm solving and constantly looking for ways to improve the quality of life for this special population. My benefits package is comparable to that of other local healthcare facilities. The tuition reimbursement is far surpasses local hospitals. You don't have to be a veteran to work here, you just need to have passion to care for one.
Pros
Positive atmosphere, No "nursing home smell", Supportive management teams, Opporutnites to advance my career
Cons
High attrition by frontline staff
Best Place to Work!
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MENovember 6, 2018
Maine Veterans' Homes in Bangor is a home like work environment that appreciates their employees while serving our country's Heroes! Maine Veterans' Homes in Bangor strives to have a positive and collaborative work environment where employees work together as a team!
Pros
Excellent benefit package, kind and understanding management team, supportive work environment
Not responsive of employee needs
Nurse (Former Employee) –  South Paris, MEOctober 3, 2018
Does not pay well, not responsive to employee needs, whenever I asked for time off I could never get any. Favoritism is a common practice, especially by the Administrator. Do Not Apply here.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
No breaks, cannot get any time off
Poor management and cut-throating.
Certified Residential Medication Aide (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MESeptember 2, 2018
Current boss targets people so they will leave. When she is done with one person, she moves on to the next person. Co-workers back stab in order to safe themselves. The most enjoyable part of the job is making a difference in people's lives. The hardest part of the job is wondering if your going to be the next target on the boss's radar.
Pros
Health benefis were reasonable.
Cons
Boss has poor co-workers skills, cut-throating, egg shell walking.
Productive Workplace Environment
Housekeeping Aide (Current Employee) –  Kennebec County, MEAugust 15, 2018
The Maine Veterans Homes Augusta Location provides a great balance for just about anyone between home and work balance. This can include maintenance, housekeeping, nursing staff, administrators, dietary or activities. It is a positive work environment and everyone there does so much for the residents.
Pros
Nice Break Room, Friendly Staff, Close Co-Workers
Cons
$3 for staff lunch
Rewarding
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEAugust 12, 2018
Very rewarding and unique place to work. It is a privilege working with our nation’s veterans. The rehab department is the best I’ve ever worked with in my career.
I enjoy my co-workers and supervisors.
Wound Nurse/Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEMay 30, 2018
They offer a variety of loans such as uniform loan, or just a advancement in pay as well. The work environment is very busy. We always have the supplies needed to care for the residents.
Pros
I enjoy my co-workers and supervisor
Cons
Second shift
Fast Paced Environment
Scarborough, Maine - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEApril 13, 2018
Maine Veterans Homes is a fast paced environment. The residents and their families make you feel like one of their own, and the staff creates another inside family. The facility is very clean and well maintained. I would highly recommend MVH.
Poor Management
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEFebruary 24, 2018
total Lack of communication with Senior Management even though they were just around the corner. No Leadership. CEO would not even say Hi if you meet up in the Hall way.
Rewarding but frustrating
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEFebruary 22, 2018
Overall good place to work. I had a few less than nice interactions with a nurse manager there that ultimately made me want to leave the job. I enjoyed most people here, but it was frustrating to be understaffed the whole year and only have adequate Nurses/ CNA's when the facility was being evaluated by state.
lack of cnas
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bangor MaineOctober 18, 2017
Love the residents hate working short staffed. Hard on the staff and affects the residents. I work on the special care unit. Dementia. They sence stress.
Pros
being there I am not well with change
Cons
starting a new career
Micro management/cutthroat staff
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEOctober 2, 2017
The facility is great, but the staff that were there when I was there just seemed super "clicky" and ready to throw each other under the bus at the drop of a hat.
Pros
Good benefits, discounts, clean
Cons
Cutthroat staff, poor management
Satisfying Job
Maintenance Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEJune 10, 2017
Good team atmosphere with an very satisfying and rewarding mission. Pride in assisting our nations veterans when they need assistance. Overall good company with little management issues.
Summary
Consultant Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEJune 4, 2017
While the employees seemed to clove the environment, I am not sure the direction of the management was where it needed to be. There were a lot of meetings.
CRMA/PSS (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MESeptember 20, 2016
I initially wanted to work here, as my parents are both retired from the Navy so I wanted to "give back." The residents were amazing. My coworkers for the most part were great to work with as a team. Management was not always available but was always reachable via telephone. The pay was not great, but they did offer a shift differential for evenings ($1 more per hour) and overnights ($3 more per hour) as well as a weekend differential ($3 more per hour). Overall a great place to work. I would definitely work for MVH again.
Caring for those who served
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEAugust 25, 2014
Everyone is treated as an important component to the mission of caring for those who served. There are monthly offerings for continuing education offered at differing times to allow all shifts to participate.
Nice place to work...Great people!
Cook/ Server/ Supervisor (Current Employee) –  South Paris, MEJune 26, 2014
Nice place to work....co workers are a blast! The company is eventful...always something healthy to do.
Pros
Beautiful Meals