MaineGeneral Health Employee Reviews

Poor supervision and management
nevermind (Former Employee) –  sidney meMay 11, 2019
Culture of supervising by micromanaging, controlling, shaming, blaming, belittling, bullying, public humiliation....get the picture. The supervisor in op residential was not qualified to supervise, except for the fact that he was employed there for many years. Poor supervision skills, poor communication skills, very unprofessional and unethical behavior. Poor leadership, not worth the time to stay there. Life is too short for that work environment
Pros
Salary
Cons
supervisor and her right hand man are bullys
Maine... A great place to raise a family
Lead Sonographer (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEApril 9, 2019
MaineGeneral has been my employer for 35 years and will continue to be until the right situation presents itself. I have a wonderful job and great co workers. The Radiologist are fantastic guys and I work very well with each of them. I have been blessed to work for this hospital. It will be bitter sweet when I do find the right fit. These people have been my family..and Maine has always been home.

I recently bought a home in Florida as my retirement home. My 2 best friends live there and love it. I want start the process and see whats available in my profession sooner than retirement age. Winters are getting longer and I believe that green grass and palm trees is the place to be!
Pros
Not too big, patient care and family oriented; great team in Imaging Dept
Cons
lower pay compared to other hospitals (i have NO complaints)
Fast paced, unorganized environment.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEFebruary 22, 2019
Working at MaineGen is very stressful. Always fast paced. Management is unorganized and they cannot keep employees. Good coworkers, but bad organization.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Managment
not enough employees in any given dept
Driver (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEFebruary 12, 2019
department in my opinion was way understaffed. always asked to work over or cover someone else. fearful of losing my job because every year they eliminated positions to save money. also you never knew what you may be doing any given day.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
my manager runs 6 departments and is spread too thin
Rn
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEFebruary 9, 2019
Overall MaineGeneral is usually a good place to work. Within the past couple of years there's been a lot of financial issues and employees and their departments have felt that burden, for example, people lost their jobs, earn time was taken and positions vacated weren't filled which leaves current staff left to pick up the extra work. There's been a heavy top down feel that isn't typical for MaineGeneral but has been more apparent in recent years. It's been a less pleasant place to work in the last couple of years and is one of the reasons I've chosen to move on.

MaineGeneral was a great place to start my nursing career. They do a good job supporting and training their new nurses. MaineGeneral, however, falls short in investing in it's employees that give them longevity.
Pros
The people that I've worked with are stellar, smart, passionate and caring.
Cons
Pay is, hands down, the worst. Employee benefits are okay but not great.
Salaried employees have flexibility
Public Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterville, MEJanuary 2, 2019
I'm currently working per diem from home. I appreciate the companies willingness to provide this opportunity for me. I primarily work on grants. My commute is 150 miles per trip.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Dept work is grant funded
This was a good place to work
Staff Nurse, 24 Bed Unit (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEJanuary 1, 2019
Great education Program. Good patient ratio. Well trained nurses There was a good team effort and the nurses where fun to work with. I would recommend working here
Pros
Good Nursing, Good Team Work
Cons
No Autonomy, No order sets
management very helpful
Insurance/Billing Follow-Up Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEDecember 26, 2018
MGH is a growing community and there is a few rough areas and they will manage through with time. Employees are also pleasant and very helpful if needed.
Difficult job with lots of responsibility for little pay
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEDecember 21, 2018
Doctors hours and rounds dictate the needs for early am blood draws. Hours are difficult for maintaining a family life. Learning to deal with unhappy patients is important as Lab Assistants often receive the brunt of patients frustration. Often had call outs and staff was shorthanded.
If you want your marriage to end..
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MaineNovember 10, 2018
This place is a flirt factory. If you’re a wife or husband... DO NOT expect that you’re spouse is thoroughly behaving here. Countless times have I walked in on people and I have my own stories as well. EVERYONE here is trying to get some tail, there are really no exceptions unless you or your spouse is UGLY. If you’re married and you start working here.. get your paperwork ready. Other than that.. a great place to work!
Pros
Validation from peers
Cons
High divorce rate
Good place to work you can advance if you want
Buyer for The OR (Current Employee) –  Waterville, MENovember 7, 2018
started in the storeroom and move up to a buyer company is good about training you to do your job and help you to train other . good job I get to help people
Pros
27 day of with pay take as you need
Cons
Can be demanding short staffed during vacations
Nice place to work
ED Tech, 20011 (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEOctober 27, 2018
A busy Emergecy room with high patient volume. Patient to staff ratio was fair and good for patient flow. Staff was always pleasant and accommodating to new staff members.
Maine General has never fully embraced needs of mental health patients, since the opening of C-2, the first unit there in 1977.
Mental Heatlh Nurse (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEOctober 16, 2018
Maine General has never provided the training necessary for medical professionals working in other sections of the hospital to understand or appreciate the unique needs of individuals with behavioral health disabilities. While the demands made by these individuals in our state capital have taxed the emergency department to an extreme, since the de-institutionalization from the state hospital in the 70's, MGMC has lost one opportunity after another, to improve the quality of care they could offer. The behavioral health unit seems to take a back-seat to the rest of the hospital. Little effort has been made to provide either education or cross-training for its other employees, in order to enable them to provide compassionate care to those with mental illness. It has led to decades of poor reception in the emergency department, when individuals with mental illness arrive there and require either medical or psychiatric care.
Pros
Well-qualified professionals, team-oriented.
Cons
Minimal continuing education offered, no training offered to meet the needs of individuals with mental health problems, limited communication with community resources.
Health benefits and employee discount are good.
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MESeptember 30, 2018
Difficult with medical insurance changes frequently. Time off accrual is very decent. Employee discount is a very good benefit of 30% off your medical bill.
Leadership is very open and transparent
Senior Ethical and Compliance specialist (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MESeptember 13, 2018
I enjoy my work at MaineGeneral and loved my Quality role, the position I was in was eliminated and I was placed in a different role within the organization. The Ethics and Compliance role is wonderful but I do not feel as though my current role is a good fit for me.
Pros
leadership is wonderful
Cons
Elimination of jobs
good people
RN (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MESeptember 12, 2018
the people make this place great to work for..I have completed many contracts here. great management! easy to talk to and receptive to new ideas. a good place to be
Great exsposure to a busy medsurg environment great teaching hospital
Medsurg preop/postop surgical (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MESeptember 11, 2018
Good communication, frequently short staffed on days. When2work Scheduling system is user frendly. Technology assessments communucatate digitally (vital signs, ecgs). Great teaching hospital.
Pros
Great exposure to many advanced interventions, updated technology. Close family feel.
Cons
Extensive charting
Solid job if looking for a good place to work even if pay is low
Housekeeping Technician (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEMay 30, 2018
EVS at MaineGeneral is a great place to work. The management is outstanding - very understanding, kind, and easy to work for. If you come in every day and work hard you'll be just fine.
Great teamwork and learning experience
Nursing Unit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEMay 22, 2018
I enjoyed working for MaineGeneral. I had to get done for personal reasons but I am looking forward to going back. There is great teamwork and plenty of educational opportunities.
Pros
Plenty of educational opportunities
Cons
Having to work weekends
Productive place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterville, MEMay 18, 2018
If you would like to make a difference in peoples lives, this medical community would be right for you. Their focus on helping their patients is phenomenal.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MaineGeneral Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

MaineGeneral Health Reviews by Location